Menu

Paging Mental Multivitamin!

I know you did a post a while back on why you won't go to movie theaters anymore, but I can't find it.

I would love to read it again, because I am starting to think the same way. Expensive, seats can be yucky, and the risk of being in the theater without some loud-mouth seems to get greater with each passing year!

Can you (or someone who knows how to find it) link it?

Thanks!

While I have occasionally referred to my movie-theater aversion, I've never devoted a post to it. As you note, though, the filth and bad behavior are the prime reasons I began avoiding theaters several years ago.

I'm also not a big fan of sitting beside strangers. Heh, heh, heh. This is, of course, why all of our theater, symphony, and opera tickets begin on the aisle: Mom *always* gets the aisle seat.

Related tangentially: The Civic Opera House is, of course, far from filthy, but I experienced some of the same frustration with the audience's behavior when we saw The Magic Flute in January. (Related entry here.) In the month since that adventure, we've seen two plays at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater and Joshua Bell at Symphony Center, and I can report that people talked and texted and behaved badly there, too.

Last Thursday? Barbara Gaines was seated across the aisle and one row behind us. I shuddered when I realized she could hear the patrons talking and eating behind us, and then I fervently hoped the actors could not hear.

Our family generally doesn't go for "big ticket" items, but we do appreciate phenomenal experiences, so we usually choose excellent seats for plays, operas, concerts, etc. So make no mistake: This isn't a nosebleed section problem. Bad behavior can be found in Orchestra Center as readily as in the Dress Circle and the Mezzanine. I think it's related to the sense of entitlement that so many folks carry with them now. It may also be that some people simply don't know any better.

We have tickets to see South Pacific later this week. The last time we were at the Cadillac Palace Theater (to see West Side Story in July), the family behind us opened a bag of Circus Peanuts and passed them back and forth.

Crinkle, crinkle. Giggle. Chatter. Crinkle. Seat creaking. Chatter. Crinkle, crinkle.

*heavy sigh*

Related tangentially: The Civic Opera House is, of course, far from filthy, but I experienced some of the same frustration with the audience's behavior when we saw The Magic Flute in January. (Related entry here.) In the month since that adventure, we've seen two plays at the Chicago Shakespeare Theater and Joshua Bell at Symphony Center, and I can report that people talked and texted and behaved badly there, too.

Last Thursday? Barbara Gaines was seated across the aisle and one row behind us. I shuddered when I realized she could hear the patrons talking and eating behind us, and then I fervently hoped the actors could not hear.

Our family generally doesn't go for "big ticket" items, but we do appreciate phenomenal experiences, so we usually choose excellent seats for plays, operas, concerts, etc. So make no mistake: This isn't a nosebleed section problem. Bad behavior can be found in Orchestra Center as readily as in the Dress Circle and the Mezzanine. I think it's related to the sense of entitlement that so many folks carry with them now. It may also be that some people simply don't know any better.

We have tickets to see South Pacific later this week. The last time we were at the Cadillac Palace Theater (to see West Side Story in July), the family behind us opened a bag of Circus Peanuts and passed them back and forth.

Crinkle, crinkle. Giggle. Chatter. Crinkle. Seat creaking. Chatter. Crinkle, crinkle.

*heavy sigh*

Then there is the "luminous crotch" problem. At a recent jazz concert I attended, the woman next to me kept scanning her smart phone. Apparently she thought that the phone in her lap was not disruptive but the illumination in my peripheral vision was a constant distraction.

I find it a sad commentary on the general population's lack of knowledge of concert etiquette or perhaps the general feeling of self-importance that there is usually an announcement before the start of every concert, play, opera, etc (at least those I've been a part of) for audience members to turn off their cell phones, pagers, and any other hand-held electronics.

Then there is the "luminous crotch" problem. At a recent jazz concert I attended, the woman next to me kept scanning her smart phone. Apparently she thought that the phone in her lap was not disruptive but the illumination in my peripheral vision was a constant distraction.

:lol::lol::lol:

Think, Jane. What would Miss Manners do in that situation? Feign startledness each time you noticed the light? Give that sort of half-smile and sideways look each time? "Oh, dear, I'm so sorry - I don't know what is wrong with me - I just can't seem to pay attention to the music with that...that....light shining beside me!" :D

We recently went to see Les Mis and I was irritated by people. They flash those lights for a reason, people! SIT DOWN!!!!

I still go to movies though, around here (fairly rural) they're never very crowded. Like, I can only think of one movie that had more than 15 people in the whole theater!

I find it a sad commentary on the general population's lack of knowledge of concert etiquette or perhaps the general feeling of self-importance that there is usually an announcement before the start of every concert, play, opera, etc (at least those I've been a part of) for audience members to turn off their cell phones, pagers, and any other hand-held electronics.

Apparently "turning off" electronics now means placing the ringer in silent mode but keeping the device itself switched on for the sake of checking missed calls. This is not just the case at concerts but also on airplanes. I am amazed at the number of people who will not turn off devices when asked to do so.

:lol::lol::lol:

Think, Jane. What would Miss Manners do in that situation? Feign startledness each time you noticed the light? Give that sort of half-smile and sideways look each time? "Oh, dear, I'm so sorry - I don't know what is wrong with me - I just can't seem to pay attention to the music with that...that....light shining beside me!" :D

Admittedly, I was stumped. While I am often not at a loss for words, I do find that rude people leave me speechless.

I was giving her a "look" which perhaps she failed to notice since the auditorium was darkened--and of course she was too busy doing whatever she was doing on her phone to pay attention to the world around her. But why pay for a concert ticket and then spend the concert surfing the Internet?

MMV mentioned snacking at events. Granted, Americans associate movies with popcorn. But the facility where we hear our local symphony has a "no food in the auditorium" policy. Nonetheless one always sees candy wrappers on the floor as one leaves. Since when did the floor become a trash can? We have brought peppermints or lozenges to the symphony when we had respiratory ailments but have always tried to restrict our crinkling to forte moments.

Great video link!

There is a new theater trend of no intermission. (We experienced this when seeing God of Carnage.) I wonder if this is a producer's answer to the problem of herding people back to their seats! The theater where we saw God of Carnage also has a "No seating of latecomers" policy.

And then there is the trend of giving a standing ovation for anything and everything. Don't get me started...

of movie theatres can be blamed on their monopoly ownership. Almost all theatres are owned by one of four major corporations who have worked out special deals with movie distributors making it almost impossible for independent owners to get first run movies.

The poorly maintained and dirty theatres, the ever increasing cost, the crappy quality and expensive snacks are due in large part to this monopoly ownership. No wonder few people want to attend the movies (that and the crappy movies).

Edited by Stacy in NJ

of movie theatre's can be blamed on their monopoly ownership. Almost all theatre's are owned by one of four major corporations who have worked out special deals with movie distributors making it almost impossible for independent owners to get first run movies.

The poorly maintained and dirty theatres, the ever increasing cost, the crappy quality and expensive snacks are due in large part to this monopoly ownership. No wonder few people want to attend the movies (that and the crappy movies).

This thread really has me going...

My husband and I enjoy seeing a good movie. But it seems that every time a weekend without commitments rolls around, particularly one with weather that keeps us indoors, we look at the movie schedules and find nothing we want to see. I was really looking forward to seeing Tinker Tailor--even reread the book in anticipation. The movie was in our community for one week--the same week my husband had a conference in Florida which I attended with him. Yet so many stupid movies are around forever.

And I would never get to see documentaries if film festivals did not show them.

movie theaters that are thriving! I think one keeps itself going by sponsoring a local film festival yearly. They must have other ways of making money too. It's practically the only theater we ever attend. They serve real popcorn and coffee too! The last time we went to the huge multiplex, we got to buy tickets from a robot and pay $5 for a cup of coke.

As an aside, two years ago my son and I went to the symphony and saw Itzhak Perlman play and conduct. He is funny-he got a "call" on his cell phone onstage and told us it was Tchaikovsky calling to tell us not to applaud between movements of the piece. LOL.

:lol: I'm going to call it this from now on! And I am here to report that this is an international problem. I also love when they ask for no photographs during a performance so every one snaps away with their cell phones. Just because it is also a phone doesn't mean it isn't a camera-- they ARE talking about you, yes you holding your phone in the air.

My other pet peeve--intermission seat improvers. Just because I stretched my legs, used the Ladies room, stopped at the water fountain, etc. doesn't mean I'm not returning for the next act. Get out of my seat. It is mine and I have a ticket for it, do you?

My other pet peeve--intermission seat improvers. Just because I stretched my legs, used the Ladies room, stopped at the water fountain, etc. doesn't mean I'm not returning for the next act. Get out of my seat. It is mine and I have a ticket for it, do you?

Similarly, we get excellent (free and discounted because the girls play with the symphony's program :D) seats to the symphony, and people always try to sit in our seats for the pre-music talk. No, those are my seats for the whole night. You can't "just sit here now and move later."

I have noticed a general decline, too: people applauding between movements (there is a reason the rest of us aren't joining you :D,) trying to leave before the encores are over, using their phones in their laps, talking, and even humming along. I've never seen food, though, either there or at the opera or ballet. I can't even imagine!

We are lucky in our movie theater selection, though. There is one lesser-known theater, and dh and I go later on weekends, and we don't see the most popular movies, so we are usually in the theater with about a dozen people total. They keep it clean, and everyone is polite. The crowd is usually older and professional, because of the movies and the location, and there is no trouble.

<snip>

I have noticed a general decline, too: people applauding between movements (there is a reason the rest of us aren't joining you :D,) trying to leave before the encores are over, using their phones in their laps, talking, and even humming along. I've never seen food, though, either there or at the opera or ballet. I can't even imagine!

Ugh! Yes! Every opera singer gets at least a good round of applause if not a standing ovation after. each. aria. :glare: I sang in a concert recently where several people clapped between the "Gloria" and "Credo" movements of a Mass. Here's a tip for all the uneducated concert goers out there -- Do NOT clap until the conductor lowers the baton.

Apparently "turning off" electronics now means placing the ringer in silent mode but keeping the device itself switched on for the sake of checking missed calls. This is not just the case at concerts but also on airplanes. I am amazed at the number of people who will not turn off devices when asked to do so.

Yes. Because those vibrate settings are so subtle and can't be heard by anyone within 3 rows of you. :glare:

Admittedly, I was stumped. While I am often not at a loss for words, I do find that rude people leave me speechless.

I was giving her a "look" which perhaps she failed to notice since the auditorium was darkened--and of course she was too busy doing whatever she was doing on her phone to pay attention to the world around her. But why pay for a concert ticket and then spend the concert surfing the Internet?

MMV mentioned snacking at events. Granted, Americans associate movies with popcorn. But the facility where we hear our local symphony has a "no food in the auditorium" policy. Nonetheless one always sees candy wrappers on the floor as one leaves. Since when did the floor become a trash can? We have brought peppermints or lozenges to the symphony when we had respiratory ailments but have always tried to restrict our crinkling to forte moments.

There are movie theatres here that not only allow, but encourage people to buy and consume drinks and food (not just Coke and popcorn or other snacks) in the theatre during the movie.

It's been a long time since I've been to a grown up performance but I don't remember this being a problem 10-15 years ago, except for one very touristy version of A Christmas Carol in NYC.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as behavior at our local library has declined precipitously - last week at library story time there was a parent who took a speaker phone call in the middle of the book reading and did not even step away from the group. I was so stunned that I couldn't think of anything to say before she finally moved away (note she did not hang up).

As for movies, my son and I will see a show at the local theater once in a while but I always make sure its been out for a few weeks, and the first show of the day on a Tuesday or Wednesday. It's almost always empty - one of the great advantages of homeschooling!

It's gratifying to know that others feel righteously "churlish" about their fellow theater (opera, symphony, movie, etc.) patrons. And "luminous crotch" is one of the funniest phrases I've heard in a while. Thanks for that. Perhaps remembering it will keep my blood pressure from rising next time I espy it.

Heh, heh, heh.

Someone else mentioned the inappropriate applause. This, too, drives me BONKERS.

And applauding every. little. thing. Blergh. We ran into that not only at The Magic Flute but even more annoyingly at Don Quixote in the fall. (Related entry here.) Folks, we're watching a professional ballet here, not the Disney on Ice!

End rant.

And then there is the trend of giving a standing ovation for anything and everything. Don't get me started...

Aw, come on, you know you want to rant...:lol:

we got to buy tickets from a robot

:lol::lol:

...he got a "call" on his cell phone onstage and told us it was Tchaikovsky calling to tell us not to applaud between movements of the piece. LOL.

:lol::lol:

This is the funniest thread I've read in awhile!

:lol: I'm going to call it this from now on! And I am here to report that this is an international problem. I also love when they ask for no photographs during a performance so every one snaps away with their cell phones. Just because it is also a phone doesn't mean it isn't a camera-- they ARE talking about you, yes you holding your phone in the air.

We once saw Zubin Mehta conducting (I think the Israeli Philharmonic). There was a movement pause early one where the audience began to clap. He cast a dirty look over his shoulder. No early applause after that one.

And I think after that no one would have dared to have a phone call.

On the other hand, a story about JFK that amused me was that when they started having classical performances at the White House, he was known to clap at the wrong time. There was a military aide stationed to the side of the room. He was familiar with the music and had the job of clapping at the right time so the president could have a cue.