Menu

Water bottle---what type to get?

I have some very specific requirements and want to know what type is a good one that fits what I am looking for:

must fit in cup holder of the van (Honda)

has a straw

must have wide enough mouth for ice cubes

EASY to clean

able to put in ice tea or other non carbonated drinks (see EASY to clean)

not noisy when you drink

Is there something like this out there or am I better off just taking one of those plastic McDonald's cups with disposable lids and straws and using it until it wears out?

We like these: http://www.kleankanteen.com/

They do not offer a straw, but do have cap choices. My kids prefer the sports cap. For younger children they have a sippy spout. :001_smile:

We have these as well and really like them:

must fit in cup holder of the van (Honda) They fit in the cup holders of our Toyota Sienna

has a straw no straw. We like the sport caps they have.

must have wide enough mouth for ice cubes Our ice cubes fit easily. There are also wide mouth versions.

EASY to clean We put all the parts in the dishwasher.

able to put in ice tea or other non carbonated drinks (see EASY to clean) We usually drink water so I can't speak to this.

not noisy when you drink The valve hisses slightly when you drink.

Is there something like this out there or am I better off just taking one of those plastic McDonald's cups with disposable lids and straws and using it until it wears out?

I have these in both stainless steel and plastic and love them. http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/stainless-steel-sports-bottle/64

They are wide enough for ice cubes, have a pop up straw and are easy to clean. We use a pipe cleaner on the straw part and they are cheap. We got ours for like 5$ at walmart.

Here is the plastic version: http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/750ml-tritanr-flip-top-water-bottle/149

Oh and they do fit in the cup holders on my dodge caravan.

My favorite is Thermos Hydration Bottle, comes in pretty designs.

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-purple-flower-hydration-bottle.aspx

You can find them at Target and on Amazon too.

It fits in cup holder, wide mouth for ice, and keeps water amazingly, chillingly cold. The straw pops up and down but is kept clean under the snap-lid. Never leaks- I carry it in my purse, never sweats.

It only holds 18 oz, though, so if I'm going out for a while I'll pack it full of ice, and when the water's out I'll pour more in from a standard water bottle or whatever, and it'll chill up right away.

Also, the top can get damaged if thrown on the floor- but you can order new tops and straws right from Thermos for only a few bucks. I do that every few months for hygienic reasons.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. They're especially nice to have on your nightstand- in the middle of the night I can just lean over, pop the lid and take a sip. And it's easy for little ones to help themselves to a drink without any mess.

We have waterbottles from Nalgene but they don't fit in cupholders, at least not the ones we have. I really like them though

Tervis has a new water bottle. I don't know about the size but I just remember seeing them on the website. We love our tervis mugs with lids. They have the regular slide lid but sometimes will use a regular straw with them. They fit really good in the cup holder. Hold ice really good and easy to clean.

We use Life Factory glass bottles (they are wrapped in a silicone sleeve). We use the widemouth option, but they do have a flip cap lid.

IMO, they comply with the rest of your specifications.

Ours are dropped every day--on tile, concrete, gravel, and / or stone. None have broken.

http://www.lifefactory.com/

Oh wow, maybe this is what we need. I was always afraid they would break too easily. I really dislike the taste I get from the metal ones. I know they're not supposed to "taste" so maybe it's in my head, but they just don't "feel" right to me. Right now we have some BPA free plastic ones, but I still don't love using plastic.

My favorite is Thermos Hydration Bottle, comes in pretty designs.

http://www.thermos.com/products/vacuum-insulated-purple-flower-hydration-bottle.aspx

You can find them at Target and on Amazon too.

It fits in cup holder, wide mouth for ice, and keeps water amazingly, chillingly cold. The straw pops up and down but is kept clean under the snap-lid. Never leaks- I carry it in my purse, never sweats.

It only holds 18 oz, though, so if I'm going out for a while I'll pack it full of ice, and when the water's out I'll pour more in from a standard water bottle or whatever, and it'll chill up right away.

Also, the top can get damaged if thrown on the floor- but you can order new tops and straws right from Thermos for only a few bucks. I do that every few months for hygienic reasons.

Yeah, I'm a big fan. They're especially nice to have on your nightstand- in the middle of the night I can just lean over, pop the lid and take a sip. And it's easy for little ones to help themselves to a drink without any mess.

:iagree: I LOVE these!

Flylady has a great water bottle. We own 3 of them. No straw though. Her website is www.flylady.net. Go to the shop section of the website.

This is absolutely, hands-down the best water bottle I've owned. I use it constantly. Because it has a double lid system, it's easy to drink from, yet you can open the second part to clean well and add ice cubes. (I do find a bottle scrubber essential for the cleaning.) Also, it has double steel walls, so you don't get condensation on the outside of the bottle. It does fit in car holders. It keeps drinks cool much longer than most water bottles. While there is no straw, you could easily slip one in the opening, which might be preferable anyway, since there is no good way to clean a straw. Try this one--it's awesome!

We use the silicone-sleeved lifefactory bottles as well. We LOVE them. We used to use the thermos brand that a PP linked to as well. We only switched b/c they eventually did leak.

I've given up on the straw thing. It's just easier to not have it & screw off my lid & put my lips to the glass. Since I want the water stored in glass, it makes sense to me that the water doesn't pass through the straw. Or that the straw material is in my mouth.

I just today bought a new bottle~a glass double-walled kerplunk klear. It's very pretty, & has a strainer at the top for loose tea (bonus!). I'm excited to try it out. I've been looking for a satisfactory glass tea bottle for a while. I hope this is it!

We use Life Factory glass bottles (they are wrapped in a silicone sleeve). We use the widemouth option, but they do have a flip cap lid.

IMO, they comply with the rest of your specifications.

Ours are dropped every day--on tile, concrete, gravel, and / or stone. None have broken.

http://www.lifefactory.com/

WOW, WOW, WOW!! I've been looking for something like this forever!! I'm another one who doesn't like the 'taste' of water in stainless steel bottles. Not sure if I'm hyper-sensitive, because I know they're not supposed to have any taste. Anyway - just ordering five of these now. Hope they are as resistant to knocks as yours seem to be!

Thanks heaps for the link!