Menu

How would you pronounce this name

I'd pronounce it like your second example, with emphasis on Gus--more like aw-GUS-tin. (The first syllable would be somewhere between aw and uh but I don't know how to type that.) I grew up in a place where we pronounced Augustine the same way, not aw-gus-teen.

Depends on where Augustin is from.

In German, it would be pronounced ow-goose-teen.

Saint Augustin was most definitely not called "Oh-gus-tin". He was not American.

It actually bothers me that here in the US, people almost always pronounce names (people and places) as if these were the names in this country. In other parts of the world, people try to pronounce names how they would have been pronounced in the country of origin.

It actually bothers me that here in the US, people almost always pronounce names (people and places) as if these were the names in this country. In other parts of the world, people try to pronounce names how they would have been pronounced in the country of origin.

:iagree:

:iagree: Don't even get me started on the way most Americans mispronounce Iraq and Iran... lol. One of my biggest pet peeves.

Depends on where Augustin is from.

In German, it would be pronounced ow-goose-teen.

Saint Augustin was most definitely not called "Oh-gus-tin". He was not American.

:iagree: But it doesn't always work out for me. Whenever I've ordered bruschetta in a restaurant as I heard it pronounced in Italy, I'm ALWAYS "corrected" to the N. American way. They think I'm just uneducated and don't know how to say it properly. :lol:

:iagree: Don't even get me started on the way most Americans mispronounce Iraq and Iran... lol. One of my biggest pet peeves.

Totally, I like so hate it when people say the final consonant in "Iraq" as if its a voiceless velar plosive when it so totally a voiceless uvular plosive. As if :D

Bill

I agree completely if we're talking about an historic figure from a different country, but for "live" people, I just pronounce their names the way they say them when they introduce themselves. I have had too many people correct the pronunciation of my own last name... when dh's family has pronounced it the "Americanized" way for the last few generations, ever since they moved to the US. :glare: Really, it's my last name. I know how to pronounce it. :D

:iagree: But it doesn't always work out for me. Whenever I've ordered bruschetta in a restaurant as I heard it pronounced in Italy, I'm ALWAYS "corrected" to the N. American way. They think I'm just uneducated and don't know how to say it properly. :lol:

OK, I'll bite. What's the North American way?

OK, I'll bite. What's the North American way?

I did a quick google search, and I pulled up this up (exactly my experience!):

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/how-to-pronounce-bruschetta.html

Every time I order bruschetta in a restaurant and pronounce it properly (brusˈket.ta) the server invariably says, "Oh, you mean the brushetta?" Then they look at me as if to say, "You poor uncultured little thing." It happened again last night.

I wouldn't care how they pronounced it if they didn't correct me in that annoying way. Isn't it maddening when you pronounce something properly and someone corrects you?

I agree completely if we're talking about an historic figure from a different country, but for "live" people, I just pronounce their names the way they say them when they introduce themselves. I have had too many people correct the pronunciation of my own last name... when dh's family has pronounced it the "Americanized" way for the last few generations, ever since they moved to the US. :glare: Really, it's my last name. I know how to pronounce it. :D

We actually have the same issue with our French last name.

I did a quick google search, and I pulled up this up (exactly my experience!):

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis/how-to-pronounce-bruschetta.html

Every time I order bruschetta in a restaurant and pronounce it properly (brusˈket.ta) the server invariably says, "Oh, you mean the brushetta?" Then they look at me as if to say, "You poor uncultured little thing." It happened again last night.

I wouldn't care how they pronounced it if they didn't correct me in that annoying way. Isn't it maddening when you pronounce something properly and someone corrects you?

Thanks! I always pronounce it the Italian way, too, but no one has ever "corrected" me. I have noticed that many people say it as "brew-shetta," though. (Maybe they think I'm just too clueless, so they don't bother trying to teach me the "right way." :D)

I also think it's pretty funny when people pronounce trattoria as trah-TOR-ia. I guess it's because it reminds them of a school "cafeteria?" :D

We actually have the same issue with our French last name.

You probably know how to pronounce it, too, right? :D

I have to admit that once, after an older Italian lady corrected me THREE TIMES in a row, I finally smiled and thanked her for teaching me how to pronounce my own last name. I'm pretty sure she never realized that I was being sarcastic. As much as I was tempted, I couldn't be blatantly rude about it, because she seemed so sweet and I really think she just thought I was some idiot WASPy girl who needed her help with my pronunciation. She was really determined that I would get it right. :rolleyes: To this day, I swear she was just trying to help, and although I was really annoyed at first, by the third correction, it was just plain comical, and when I finally said it her way, she made a big fuss about it. (I was so proud... :tongue_smilie:)

You probably know how to pronounce it, too, right? :D

I have to admit that once, after an older Italian lady corrected me THREE TIMES in a row, I finally smiled and thanked her for teaching me how to pronounce my own last name. I'm pretty sure she never realized that I was being sarcastic. As much as I was tempted, I couldn't be blatantly rude about it, because she seemed so sweet and I really think she just thought I was some idiot WASPy girl who needed her help with my pronunciation. She was really determined that I would get it right. :rolleyes: To this day, I swear she was just trying to help, and although I was really annoyed at first, by the third correction, it was just plain comical, and when I finally said it her way, she made a big fuss about it. (I was so proud... :tongue_smilie:)

:lol:

I've never had anyone quite that insistent, though I imagine that if the distant relatives from Quebec ever came for a visit that would change in a hurry.

Listen to the chorus of this song. It's at 1:26 of the video. In this version his pronunciation of "Iraq" and "Iran" is actually not quite as bad as in the radio version but it's what popped up when I checked YouTube.

Yes, that is torture.

I hate the lyrics, but he does have a nice voice.

Does he have some songs that don't celebrate ignorance?

Bill

My personal favorite Alan Jackson song is his duet with Jimmy Buffet called
but in terms of having good lyrics, try

The duet with Buffet is a fun party song. Remember When is too sappy for my taste.

Still Alan Jackson has a very interesting vocal quality that I like.

Bill

Yes, of course I also pronounce a person's name the way THEY wish it pronounced. I have many students with German heritage and I ask at the beginning of the semester how they pronounce their names..In most cases it is very different from what the name originally was.

But for historical or public personalities, it bugs me.

;) it all depends which language i'm speaking at the time.....

however, we do tend to follow the canadian habit of pronouncing a person's name the way their countryfolk might have said it....

the other odd thing that happens to us is that we tend to use the pronounciation of whatever language we were using when we first heard about the person..... not on purpose, it just comes out that way. Michel Angelo, for example.....

augustin is like that for me. i learned about him in french first, so that it is the french pronunciation that comes out first. so augustin is usually "ah-goo-STIN". we can fix that if we think about it long enough ;)

ann