Menu

Do u reward kids something when they finish a year curriculum?

jennynd

DS just finished Singapore Math 6

:party::party:

I am quite proud of him. His work attitude ..etc.

Do you reward your kids something when you feel like they accomplish something? If so, what did you reward them? need some ideas.

I complained about him not playing lego but just build before. So, I don't want to get him lego. .. no vedio games. he has tones of books.. I am running out ideas...

Also his Birthday is coming up .....

Well, I usually get my kids a special gift at the end of the school year for "doing their best", but really it's just because they all have autumn/winter birthdays and don't get loads of gifts in between. I'm not sure what age your son is but if he has finished SM 6 I'm going to assume he's much older than my boys. They are 8 and 6 and games for their ds would be "their" choice of gift, or dvds, but as it's summer when they get the extra gift, I try to make it something for outside play.

These are my thoughts for my family.

If I want to reward someone for a good attitude or accomplishment, I don't like to use something tangible. I just feel the accomplishment *is* the reward and I don't want to take away from that by trivializing it w/a gift. I would be much more inclined to do an outing whether it's to a favorite museum, mini golf or simply to get ice cream. Choosing dinner and dessert is another way I'll make a day special to recognize the person of honor. I find these to be more meaningful than a trip to Toys R Us.

These are my thoughts for my family.

If I want to reward someone for a good attitude or accomplishment, I don't like to use something tangible. I just feel the accomplishment *is* the reward and I don't want to take away from that by trivializing it w/a gift. I would be much more inclined to do an outing whether it's to a favorite museum, mini golf or simply to get ice cream. Choosing dinner and dessert is another way I'll make a day special to recognize the person of honor. I find these to be more meaningful than a trip to Toys R Us.

Thanks, I really like this ideas. I want do something special, but yes, that does not have to be a present

Well, I usually get my kids a special gift at the end of the school year for "doing their best", but really it's just because they all have autumn/winter birthdays and don't get loads of gifts in between. I'm not sure what age your son is but if he has finished SM 6 I'm going to assume he's much older than my boys. They are 8 and 6 and games for their ds would be "their" choice of gift, or dvds, but as it's summer when they get the extra gift, I try to make it something for outside play.

his choice will be a dsi game :(

which he already has quite a bit.....

My kids pick out a candy bar when they finish a curriculum. My DS will be taking then end of book test for SM3A tomorrow and he is really looking forward to a Hershey's Cookies and Cream bar, which happens to be the same thing his little sister picked two weeks ago when she finished AAS 2. I know it's not healthy, but Candy is a special treat here, so it works.

As far as a weekly reward, my kids will have a light day on Friday if they have worked diligently all week. They each have a weekly checklist and have free time when it's completed.

I simply let him know that he finished and I'm proud of his progress. I'm not one to offer an award for doing something that is expected. They have too much already.

When I was coming up I never received anything for doing something expected of me. That met helping clean up to doing well in school and everything in between. I'm a member of the family and that brought with it certain responsibilities.

It concerns me that kids only look forward to receiving something and look forward to the reward instead of seeing the reward of what they have learned/accomplished.

I see this as a Cubmaster (scouts) and as a soccer and baseball coach. It's all about the year-end party and trophy and not about the skills they learned in practice that they transfered to games (which they might have won as a result) and will help them if they continue to play. The game is not as meaningfu. They say they want to win but do not want to put in the practice it takes to do so. They want the prize but do not want to put in the work. It's all about the prizes.

The need for reward is one of the issues that is tempting me to leave scouting, the boys and their parents don't seem to care about learning anything from the program, and to back away from coaching. I feel like I'm contributing to an attitude that will haunt us later.

I'm not diminishing the achievement of finishing a school program or even the entire year and we do make sure our boys know we're proud of them. Letting them pick out where we eat one night or something along those lines seems appropriate. But I'm concerned about the attitude many children have about rewards and their belief that those awards are a right.

Just my two cents and a subject that bothers me daily.

I've taken them out for a treat after something like this. We've gone to Cold Stone Creamery, Dairy Queen, and Starbucks. The other thing I usually do is give them a little mini-break from that subject. If they finish the math book on Tuesday, no math for W-F. It's back to business as usual the next week with the new book but they really love having those few days off.

We go to a pizza place that has games and such at the end of the school year, before the schools let out and it gets crowded. They give a $20 game card for a good report card, so DD can play without it being too expensive for me, and she LOVES being there.

My DD also considers getting to start a new book a reward, which is something I LOVE about Singapore's split books-about the time she starts flagging, she gets a boost of enthusiasm because it's a new book.

Well, when Pigby was dragging his feet about finishing OPGTR, I bribed him with a Nerf gun to finish. I knew he could do all the lessons, he just didn't want to. And I was so sick of trying to make him, I offered some additional incentive. Kid was knocking 20 lessons out a day in order to get that Nerf Gun.

We offered to buy him a plastic bowling ball set when he finished MUS Primer, but when he did finish, they were all gone and haven't been back since. I think we'll take him to the dollar theater instead; getting to see a movie in the theater is a real treat.

I gave mine a certificate of achievement for completing OPTGR and her first full year of RSMath B. Instead of giving her gifts at the end, I gave her some to begin the new school year which we happned to be doing back to back. I gave her the MTH series and a wallet. My idea is that the rewards or prices be education related. I plan to give her new book sets as she begins each year for a little extra motivation. Other ideas are geography puzzles, Snap Circuits, new school supplies.

Nah. They're generally overjoyed to be through with a book. ;) I'm not against rewards and incentives, but no, I don't see a need for a "prize" every time they finish anything.

Now, I *have* been known to let a child rip up a workbook when it was finished. ;) There's something very satisfying in that. If I needed to keep work samples, I could pull a few pages first -- I don't need the whole thing.

305175_10150315374925878_688000877_8221787_380451002_n.jpg

I simply let him know that he finished and I'm proud of his progress. I'm not one to offer an award for doing something that is expected. They have too much already.

It concerns me that kids only look forward to receiving something and look forward to the reward instead of seeing the reward of what they have learned/accomplished.

But I'm concerned about the attitude many children have about rewards and their belief that those awards are a right.

:iagree:

We mark the end of each math book with a sushi dinner. I don't think of it as a "reward" so much as a celebration of how much math has been learned.

Our spelling program, AAS, comes with certificates for each level. I write her full name on the certificate in beautiful handwriting and we hang it on the fridge. That seems to be enough of a reward for that.

Chemistry, now, chemistry will be different. We have promised that when she finishes RSO chemistry, we will blow something up. :D

We do a week off from the subject. Then, they move onto the next book. I don't like the idea of tangible rewards for doing what is expected. I hug them, tell them I'm proud of their hard work, and we move on.

I like the idea of burning the workbooks. The kids would love it.

However, we might do something special for the end of OPGTR. My ds got a hard back set of Harry Potter when he started reading so we'll probably get dd a set of books as well.

We have ice cream to celebrate when we finish a book. It doesn't just happen at the end of the year for us and I like to acknowledge the accomplishment. I wouldn't buy a toy or anything but ice cream makes it special. When my kids finish a book mid-year, we move on to the next book - we don't wait until the start of the next school year to move on.

It doesn't bother me that you feel this way because it's just the way you feel. I don't entirely get the reasoning though. It's like saying we don't celebrate birthdays because there is nothing unique and special about being expelled from a womb. :D

Just my 2 cents...;)

This is good point.

I see why some don't want the kid feel like everything is about award. But I do want my kid to understand that hard work will earn him something. It IS kind like when you go in to work environment that when you do do a good job, you get bonus.

Also, The kid is doing beyond what is expected, he is an afterschooler and all the work is done after a whole day in school. I truely feel he deserve something for his accomplshment. I like the idea taking him out for a dinner of his choice, he will like that the whole family is celebating what he had done. and I agree that "tangible good" might not be the best