Menu

Best birds for pets

My desperately wants a pet of her own (we have a "family" dog & cat), and has had bad luck with hermit crabs, fish, and african dwarf frogs. She would love a turtle or lizard or (:eek:) snake, but I am not keen on those, because of cost & the amount of care they would need. I've explained how most of the exotic pets require a lot. I don't want her to get a hamster or guinea pig, either. What about a parakeet? She loves birds, and the cleaning is pretty easy, isn't it?

Please tell me the good, bad & the ugly about your pet bird experiences.

Oh, we would all love a parrot, but again, cost is an issue.:001_smile:

I had a lovebird when young, and I really enjoyed him. He would sit on the edge of my bowl of cheerios and pull them out and chuck them on the table. He also had fun messing up our Scrabble board and flipping over the pieces. He would ride around the house nestled in my brothers hair, or sit on the collar of our shirts.

He was sweet :)

Is this a pet to look at or a pet to handle?

We've kept button quail and coturnix quail as house birds in very large aquariums, but they are just for looking at.

Well, I know dd would be thrilled if she could handle it. I've been reading up on parakeets, and it seems like if you put a lot of time into them (which she would)they will talk, interact, and are very social.

I'm always worried about picking something that might die easily (our past issues) or whose care is super-sensitive. For instance, temperature. I know that is one thing it does talk about with the parakeets, and our house is usually pretty cold in the winter.

:bigear: We're considering another bird. We have a poorly socialized parakeet that my in-laws gave us because it was attacking their other parakeets. She's fine, but really doesn't want to be bothered.

My son has taken a real interest in birds since we got chickens. We'd love to get a hand-raised bird that would be sweet and and interactive like Celia's lovebird.

They are really a big step up from a parakeet in terms of training. Ours were quite social, trainable, and loved to be handled. My sister had one that was also very social; he talked and imitated sounds.

I adored the Quaker parrot we had. Quakers are small parrots, and not real pricey (though they are illegal in some states). Our Winston talked quite a bit before he was even a year old. Quakers do tend to bond to their caretakers and can become possessive. When Winston would be on my shoulder, if my husband would come up to kiss me, the bird would run down my arm and bite at my husband. It was really quite funny. He loved me.

It's funny you brought this up because I'm about to be in the market for a bird. I have decided I'm ready for my own pet again, and I really want another small parrot.

We have two parakeets. Ds bought the cages and birds with his own money and buys the food himself. I told the boys that if they wanted birds, they must take care of the birds, and they do very well with minimal supervision and reminders from me.

The parakeets are sweet, pretty, and the older bird is pretty friendly, though she's been a little less friendly since ds got a new one. He's spending quite a bit of time lately trying to get the newer bird comfortable being handled. The care is pretty straightforward: Clean food & water daily including greens or grated carrots or chopped fruit, thorough cage cleaning weekly, daily interaction, sweep around the cage daily. I enjoy the parakeets.

His brothers pooled their money and bought zebra finches, which I don't like nearly so well. They're cute and fun to watch, and they are responsive to people, but they never. stop. chirping. and they are messy. They fling seed everywhere, so the boys have to sweep up daily.

I like having birds around. (Especially since I don't have to take care of them! :tongue_smilie:)

Cat

Birds are potentially wonderful pets but they require a good deal of time and attention if they are going to be kept happy, tame, and hand friendly. They are no small commitment. They can also be kind of messy and need nice housing. Really think through your level of commitment first.

Then, if you really want a bird you *need* to purchase a hand-fed bird from a reputable breeder. With a young hand-fed bird you can keep them hand-tame. There is no comparison what-so-ever between owning a bird that is hand tame and one that is not. The former with form a bond with you, the latter will spend a lonely life trapped in a cage.

A bird that is not hand-fed will never be tame. Sometimes bird experts can (through extreme effort and diligence) "tame" a bird that wasn't hand-raised, but that is rare.

The most important thing is you start with a hand-friendly hand-raised bird, and that you put in the time interacting with the bird (out of its cage) everyday keeping the bond growing.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

I have a parakeet and love it. I did a lot of research before I bought one. I vacillated between a cockateil and a parakeet but decided on the budgy because they weren't as loud or messy.

A couple of things I learned: birds are flock animals. If you get one bird - you are its flock. If you get more, then they form their own flock and may not be as friendly towards you. It is really important to get a bird which has been handled from birth and to continue handling it. I don't always hold my bird everyday, but I do talk with her and her cage is next to my computer, so she see me a lot;) Even the sweetest bird can be moody and will not like some people.

I was fortunate to find a local homeschooler who was hand-raising budgies. The first one we got from her was pretty friendly at first, but then got less social as time went on. She wanted her cage more and more. Unfortunately, that one got out by accident and I never saw it again. I got another one - it wasn't as pretty, but I asked the seller (homeschool girl again), which was the friendliest bird and bought that one. Because I feed the bird, am around the most, and care for it, birdy likes me the most. She is okay with my teenaged daughter but will nip and bite my son. The older kids aren't around enough for the bird to care. When I'm out for the day and come home, she immediately starts chirping and calling for me. She'll get on my shoulder and groom my chin. She'll eat off my plate (or anyone's plate) if we let her but we usually lock her in the cage at dinner time. She must think she's a dog! I have vet friend who told me that a bird can eat anything we eat, and birdy does try.

Enjoy figuring out what you want. I do enjoy my parakeet.

Birds are potentially wonderful pets but they require a good deal of time and attention if they are going to be kept happy, tame, and hand friendly. They are no small commitment. They can also be kind of messy and need nice housing. Really think through your level of commitment first.

Then, if you really want a bird you *need* to purchase a hand-fed bird from a reputable breeder. With a young hand-fed bird you can keep them hand-tame. There is no comparison what-so-ever between owning a bird that is hand tame and one that is not. The former with form a bond with you, the latter will spend a lonely life trapped in a cage.

A bird that is not hand-fed will never be tame. Sometimes bird experts can (through extreme effort and diligence) "tame" a bird that wasn't hand-raised, but that is rare.

The most important thing is you start with a hand-friendly hand-raised bird, and that you put in the time interacting with the bird (out of its cage) everyday keeping the bond growing.

Bill

I have been reading about this very thing, so I'm glad you brought it up!

It might be difficult for us to find someone that hand raises parakeets in our area. What is the easiest way to find someone reputable?

I had also thought of a cockatiel, but again, we are only in the early research stage.

They are really a big step up from a parakeet in terms of training. Ours were quite social, trainable, and loved to be handled. My sister had one that was also very social; he talked and imitated sounds.

I adored the Quaker parrot we had. Quakers are small parrots, and not real pricey (though they are illegal in some states). Our Winston talked quite a bit before he was even a year old. Quakers do tend to bond to their caretakers and can become possessive. When Winston would be on my shoulder, if my husband would come up to kiss me, the bird would run down my arm and bite at my husband. It was really quite funny. He loved me.

It's funny you brought this up because I'm about to be in the market for a bird. I have decided I'm ready for my own pet again, and I really want another small parrot.

What do you consider not real pricey?:001_smile:

We paid $125 for our Quaker. In terms of parrots, that is not real pricey. Quakers are technically in the parakeet family, though called parrots. Quakers can have a LARGE vocabulary, and are quite smart. They are much noisier than Cockatiels, having a "calling the flock" time in the mornings and evenings. They aren't squawking all day like a sun conure, but it's loud for a few minutes!

A hand-fed cockatiel (young one, which is what you want), can cost from $30 to probably $80, depending on breeder, coloring, etc. We paid $35 for ours at a bird show, and it was healthy and very tame.

We paid $125 for our Quaker. In terms of parrots, that is not real pricey. Quakers are technically in the parakeet family, though called parrots. Quakers can have a LARGE vocabulary, and are quite smart. They are much noisier than Cockatiels, having a "calling the flock" time in the mornings and evenings. They aren't squawking all day like a sun conure, but it's loud for a few minutes!

A hand-fed cockatiel (young one, which is what you want), can cost from $30 to probably $80, depending on breeder, coloring, etc. We paid $35 for ours at a bird show, and it was healthy and very tame.

We found a lady in our area who raises both parakeets & Cockatiels, and the more I read, the more I am thinking the Cockatiel might be the way to go. What sort of questions do you recommend my asking her?

In the end you will need to visit the breeder and see the birds. Most bird breeders will be a little "crazy" in their own way, because hand-raising birds is not really an economically rational activity so much as a kind of passion.

The baby birds themselves should to be hand shy. If you reach in your hand and they lower their heads in anticipation of a head rub or jump up on a finger you have a socialized (uh oh, I used the s-word :D) bird. If they try to bite you or flee then you don't.

Getting a tame hand-fed bird to start with and then putting in time daily to build a bond between you and the bird will make all the difference in the world in the kind of experience you would have as bird owners. Birds are not fish. Those that are trapped in cages their whole life (which is the plight on birds that are not hand friendly) is very poor, where tame birds are affectionate creatures who can become "part of the family."

Bill

In the end you will need to visit the breeder and see the birds. Most bird breeders will be a little "crazy" in their own way, because hand-raising birds is not really an economically rational activity so much as a kind of passion.

The baby birds themselves should to be hand shy. If you reach in your hand and they lower their heads in anticipation of a head rub or jump up on a finger you have a socialized (uh oh, I used the s-word :D) bird. If they try to bite you or flee then you don't.

Getting a tame hand-fed bird to start with and then putting in time daily to build a bond between you and the bird will make all the difference in the world in the kind of experience you would have as bird owners. Birds are not fish. Those that are trapped in cages their whole life (which is the plight on birds that are not hand friendly) is very poor, where tame birds are affectionate creatures who can become "part of the family."

Bill

Bill:

Our goal is for the bird to really bond with our dd. She has OCD, so I know that she will be diligent about the care, and spend lots of time with it. She loves animals, and would prefer to spend her time observing & interacting with them more than doing anything else. The expericences we've had in the past with the hermit crabs & dwarf frogs haven't been good, but it wasn't due to her lack of care or involvement. I've explained to her that I think when we take something so exotic out of it's natural environment, it makes it very difficult to care for. (I realize the birds won't be in their natural environment, either, but am hoping they are a lot heartier!)

Regarding the lady who hand raises the parakeets & cockatiels; I am a bit leery of her. When my dh initially contacted her about her parakeets, she discouraged us getting one, saying they were "flighty", and recommended the cockatiel, which she has a few of. That doesn't make me feel very trusting of her, and we are still searching for a breeder. I'm going to talk to my hs group and see if they know someone to recommend.

We have a 25 year old, hand raised Indian ringneck, 5 hand raised lovebirds, and a budgie that was not hand raised. We used to have a flock of racing pigeons, too. The ringneck, although part of the family, can be quite noisy (much like the Quakers). He's very sweet and talks. The lovebirds are pretty messy. They throw seeds all over the place, but they are awfully cute. The budgie is sweet, moderately messy, and has a nice soft voice. He even learned to talk -- from the other birds! I'm sure you don't want to get into racing pigeons, but they were a lot of fun.

A hand raised bird is definitely the best. If you could find a hand raised budgie, I would recommend that for your daughter.

Bill:

Our goal is for the bird to really bond with our dd. She has OCD, so I know that she will be diligent about the care, and spend lots of time with it. She loves animals, and would prefer to spend her time observing & interacting with them more than doing anything else. The expericences we've had in the past with the hermit crabs & dwarf frogs haven't been good, but it wasn't due to her lack of care or involvement. I've explained to her that I think when we take something so exotic out of it's natural environment, it makes it very difficult to care for. (I realize the birds won't be in their natural environment, either, but am hoping they are a lot heartier!)

Regarding the lady who hand raises the parakeets & cockatiels; I am a bit leery of her. When my dh initially contacted her about her parakeets, she discouraged us getting one, saying they were "flighty", and recommended the cockatiel, which she has a few of. That doesn't make me feel very trusting of her, and we are still searching for a breeder. I'm going to talk to my hs group and see if they know someone to recommend.

I have no expertise with parakeets, but I have owned a cockatiel. The later are a studier bird and are generally recongnized as one of the easiest starter birds, so I'm not sure the breeder is trying to steer you wrong.

Individual birds vary but cockateils are pretty consistent. It is my non-expert impression that parakeets can either be sweet as can be or can be "flighty."

We had peach-faced lovebirds. Ours were everything we could have wanted in a "parrot" in a pint-sized package. Very alert, engaging and affectionate. But the reputation of lovebirds is that they too are highly variable. So while I personally would prefer a lovebird to a cockatiel, I would also recognize a cockatiel might be a "safer" choice for a first time bird owner.

I don't think the breeder is trying to steer you wrong. It is also my understanding that parakeets tend to be short lived birds, which is an advantage for those who tire of pets, but upsetting to those who delevop strong bonds and then lose their beloved pet suddenly.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Well, I know dd would be thrilled if she could handle it. I've been reading up on parakeets, and it seems like if you put a lot of time into them (which she would)they will talk, interact, and are very social.

I'm always worried about picking something that might die easily (our past issues) or whose care is super-sensitive. For instance, temperature. I know that is one thing it does talk about with the parakeets, and our house is usually pretty cold in the winter.

My understanding is that some types of birds can be pretty delicate with regards to fumes a la canary in the coal mine. I know they cannot tolerate nonstick cookware being heated near them and often do not do well in manufactured housing especially new manufactured housing.

My understanding is that some types of birds can be pretty delicate with regards to fumes a la canary in the coal mine. I know they cannot tolerate nonstick cookware being heated near them and often do not do well in manufactured housing especially new manufactured housing.

The fumes from over-heated telflon are known to kill birds dead.

About the life-span of parakeets, I just looked around the web and say they can live 15 years. So that is not a short life, however, I have known of well loved parakeets suddenly dying of "drafts," so they seem like potentially fragile birds to me. But I will reiterate that I have no parakeet raising expertise, and may be misinformed.

Bill

The fumes from over-heated telflon are known to kill birds dead.

About the life-span of parakeets, I just looked around the web and say they can live 15 years. So that is not a short life, however, I have known of well loved parakeets suddenly dying of "drafts," so they seem like potentially fragile birds to me. But I will reiterate that I have no parakeet raising expertise, and may be misinformed.

Bill

:iagree:

I've had several parakeets. One cold draft from a door or window left open too long is the kiss of death.

I've had a cockatiel as well. MUCH sturdier bird, very healthy. In fact, we inherited her after a storm. Heard her calling in a tree. We put out a small cage with the door propped open...she flew down and hopped right in. She was hungry and felt much safer in a cage.

If I remember correctly, the male cockatiels are the talkative ones. Our girl never learned any words...but she was a great security system. She would sound off if someone pulled into the driveway or came to the door. :001_smile:

Here is a link to the "Pet Bird Report." This is a group highly devoted to the optimal treatment of "companion birds" (not "pets" :tongue_smilie:) and they have many good ideas to glean, including developing a varied diet rather than one based solely on seeds.

http://www.petbirdreport.com/

Bill

Bill:

Thanks so much for this!

We did receive another message from the breeder, giving more info. about herself & why she recommended the cockatiel over the parakeet, so I do feel better about her. I put out an email to our hs group asking for recommendations, also, so I'm hoping to get a good response.

Just my opinion here...

I have had all sorts of pets, running the gamut from rodents to reptiles to horses...and just about everything in between. I will never, ever have another pet bird in the house.

They are noisy. They throw seed EVERYWHERE. And yes, the cage is as big of a pain to clean as any other caged animal.

Some people love them. I just can't..lol.

We've lost two parakeets, which was hard on dd... but they were given to us and we don't know how old they were.

The cockatiel that was also given to us is infinitely more friendly and will live a lot longer than a parakeet. :D He's such a sweetie: he talks a bit and copies bits of songs that he hears a lot. He loves to sing back to people who sing (or play music) to him.

Birds are dirty, noisy, and a ton of work. Are you sure there is not an easier pet that would suit?

Snakes are incredibly easy pets though not affectionate, obviously. A corn snake is generally really nicely tempered and can be fed frozen (and thawed) mice. We keep a liner of paper towels on the bottom of the cage and change it after they are fed. (That's when they poop.) We have a dog dish in the cage in which we keep water and the snake curls up under it for shelter. Couldn't be easier.

Rats are actually nice pets and sociable. Less messy and a whole lot quieter than birds.

Birds are dirty, noisy, and a ton of work. Are you sure there is not an easier pet that would suit?

Snakes are incredibly easy pets though not affectionate, obviously. A corn snake is generally really nicely tempered and can be fed frozen (and thawed) mice. We keep a liner of paper towels on the bottom of the cage and change it after they are fed. (That's when they poop.) We have a dog dish in the cage in which we keep water and the snake curls up under it for shelter. Couldn't be easier.

Rats are actually nice pets and sociable. Less messy and a whole lot quieter than birds.

I could not live with a snake it the house-it would totally freak me out. Dd loves snakes and picks them up & plays with them outside, and I don't let her see my fear, but in the house is another story.:001_smile:

Anyone who wants to chime in on the noisy & dirty aspects of bird ownership, please do. I wanted the good, bad, and the ugly, remember??

LOL!

The only dirty part is changing the newspaper at the bottom of the cage each day and vacuuming up random feathers/dust/pieces of food. The kids use the hose for that and usually do a good job.

Our kids are a LOT noisier than our cockatiel.

Some birds are really loud, like Conures. Cockatiels and Lovebirds are not especially loud. Many birds can scatter seeds. Seed guards on cages help, but...

Again Cockatiels are less messy than other birds. They do tend to produce loose feathers and dander.

Cages need to be cleaned. Spraying cages or other areas exposed to bird poop with both white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide (from separate spray bottles, the latter which should be opaque) is a very powerful and non-toxic disinfectant.

Birds do take work. I would not claim otherwise.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Birds do take work. I would not claim otherwise.

:lol: Everything takes work! Especially children! :lol:

I agree that conures are louder. I remember having one in college. Boy, was he loud! (fingers in ears) If he called out while sitting on my shoulder I was temporarily deaf!

We don't feed our birds any seed. We use the formulated rainbow-colored pellets instead (nutritionally balanced and all that). I find there is MUCH less waste and MUCH less mess.

Our cockatiel does shed feathers and dust. The common thing here is for him to flap his wings and/or shake a bit and the corner of the kitchen suddenly snows feather particles. The 2 year old likes to shriek: "Feathers! Feathers!" We never miss the spectacle thanks to her announcements. :D (Thankfully my 6 year old LOVES to wield the vacuum cleaner hose.)

Bird dander! How bad is it? Is it as bad as cat dander, because we have that....

It's not that bad, but some people are more susceptible than others (just as with allergies to cats, et al). There are some people who develop a condition called "bird lung," but they seem to be people who have way too many birds and are not vigilant about keeping things clean. I'm sure there are exceptions.

A downside of Cockatiels is they are "dustier" than any of the birds I'm familiar with. I would not expect owning one bird in a relatively clean home where people are not very sensitive would pose a problem, but it would be something to keep in mind if you had a family member that was prone to allergies of this sort.

Again, this is "non-expert" advice.

Bill

If you have the room outside, chickens! :) Get 2 or 3 because they need the companionship of other chickens, and they give eggs too.

I was going to say this, too :) Dd wanted a bird, but we didn't want any other indoor pets and were concerned about the bird dust in her room. So we got chickens, and they've actually been great pets. They're very friendly and a couple like being held and they'll come running across the yard whenever they see anyone go outside. It's been fun (and the eggs are great, too).

Bird dander! How bad is it? Is it as bad as cat dander, because we have that....

The asthma came before the bird... so the dander hasn't caused any problems here. I have heard that cockatiels are dustier birds (produce and shed more dander than most). It's not that awful here. The feather dust doesn't bother me. The two boys are the wielders of the vacuum cleaner hose and they get the area around the birdcage every couple of days. (It could probably be done every day and I'd be happier, but... whatever.)

Actually, this is what we've done too.

Bill

Believe me, I have considered it, because we prefer to get our eggs that way, as opposed to the supermarket. But, do you have a barn? When we were looking into this, we thought that the costs would be too much. We also live out in the country (yes, good for chickens) but they couldn't be free range, because we have coyotes, foxes, hawks, racoons, badgers-you name it.

This. I am biased because I do not think that birds should be pets. Parrots, especially, take a LOT of time and attention.

My sister, due to allergies to any fur animal, bought a Quaker. She had him for 5 years. She had a baby. The bird took second place, and it was stressful for my sister and the bird. My sister rehomed him. He started chewing his leg. Didn't stop. Vet couldn't get him to stop. The bird is now at a bird sanctuary, and being treated. Hopefully, he'll make a come around and be happy.

Parrots are not pets......at least not for the average person. You have to be seriously committed to a parrot for years and years.

Believe me, I have considered it, because we prefer to get our eggs that way, as opposed to the supermarket. But, do you have a barn? When we were looking into this, we thought that the costs would be too much. We also live out in the country (yes, good for chickens) but they couldn't be free range, because we have coyotes, foxes, hawks, racoons, badgers-you name it.

We live on just under 1/2 acre lot and built a chicken tractor for our 5 chickens, using 1/2" wire and not chicken wire. It can be moved around the yard so they don't kill the grass in one spot (it is difficult to move, but can be by one person). At that point in time, our yard wasn't completely fenced and we have some predatory animals (less as time goes on and more building has been done). Since then, we got the yard completely fenced and I let the chickens out when we're at home, but it is feasible to raise them in a smaller coop (one gal in the neighborhood has a small yard and keeps them in her coop almost all the time).

BTW, the total cost for the coop/tractor was between $200-$300 and that was having to buy all the lumber and wire new (no scraps lying around to use).

We live on just under 1/2 acre lot and built a chicken tractor for our 5 chickens, using 1/2" wire and not chicken wire. It can be moved around the yard so they don't kill the grass in one spot (it is difficult to move, but can be by one person). At that point in time, our yard wasn't completely fenced and we have some predatory animals (less as time goes on and more building has been done). Since then, we got the yard completely fenced and I let the chickens out when we're at home, but it is feasible to raise them in a smaller coop (one gal in the neighborhood has a small yard and keeps them in her coop almost all the time).

BTW, the total cost for the coop/tractor was between $200-$300 and that was having to buy all the lumber and wire new (no scraps lying around to use).

Yes, I think when we were looking into chickens, the chicken tractor was what we thought would be best. Second question: how messy are they? (Messy, as in poop-not a fan)

I know I can find books with all of this info, but I prefer to get the real scoop from the Hive.:001_smile:

Yes, I think when we were looking into chickens, the chicken tractor was what we thought would be best. Second question: how messy are they? (Messy, as in poop-not a fan)

I know I can find books with all of this info, but I prefer to get the real scoop from the Hive.:001_smile:

They do poop a lot :tongue_smilie: But they poop mostly at night, while they're roosting, so if you design a roost with a poop board underneath, then it's much easier to pull out the board and dump it. I'm using boot trays under their roost bar and it's been working well.

I designed a coop based (more or less) on the model of a giant bird-cage.

Ours free-range during the day, but even in a secure suburban backyard predation is an issue. Everything likes to eat chicken. We have had losses over the years.

Bill

Not really messy. I designed our coop with a raised floor that pulls out (much like a parrot cage). Chickens will naturally turn over their waste into shavings and these can be composted as necessary.

I've been surprised how easy keeping chickens is here (in warm Southern California). Don't ask me about the frozen north, as I do not understand how anything survives there :D

Bill

ETA: We raise "bantams" (Rhode Island Reds) they are much smaller than standard chickens, but the eggs are not all that much smaller. Bantams are much less like having "livestock" in my thinking than raising standard chickens.

Edited by Spy Car

Not really messy. I designed our coop with a raised floor that pulls out (much like a parrot cage). Chickens will naturally turn over their waste into shavings and these can be composted as necessary.

I've been surprised how easy keeping chickens is here (in warm Southern California). Don't ask me about the frozen north, as I do not understand how anything survives there :D

Bill

ETA: We raise "bantams" (Rhode Island Reds) they are much smaller than standard chickens, but the eggs are not all that much smaller. Bantams are much less like having "livestock" in my thinking than raising standard chickens.

Bill:

I don't know how anything survives here either-myself included!

That was going to be my next question for the chicken people "What happens in the winter???" I am encouraged by the fact that they aren't too messy.

How is the egg production with your bantams?

Maybe I need to start another chicken thread.