Menu

Prayers Please

DH mom has Alz. & is in assisted living. They moved her to the highest level of care this past week. She didn't do well with the previous move, and this one is no different.

The nurse just called and said that she has become uncontrollably combative. They gave her the ativan and it worked for a SHORT time, and the meanness came back with a vengeance. She is hitting, kicking and scratching any/everybody that comes within reach. She attacked a pregnant aid yesterday. :001_huh:

So, the nurse has a call in to the psych that is on call. She called DH to give him a heads up that MIL will probably be transported, via SHERIFF, not EMS, to the geriatric psych ward at one of our hospitals. Oh Yay. I know that Alz is a weird disease, but really. She has never been violent. I don't think she even spanked DH when he was a kid. Pray for us all, please. DH is an only child, so it all falls on him. I wish I could be with him, but I know that being home with the kids is the best place. It takes one worry off his mind.

Well, DH is home. They sent MIL back to the home. She was FINE at the hospital. As they got closer, she started acting up. Dh had to get rather assertive with her about her behavior. The nurse told him that at one point when MIL was flailing on the floor, She said, Honey, your going to hurt yourself! MIL stopped what she was doing and said 'I know".

So basically, she is like a special needs child who cannot speak. She is fully cognizant of where she is and HATES it. DESPISES it. And is acting out. hoping she will 'get out'.

She wants to come live with us. She can barely walk and we have an upstairs. And we have the 2 kids, and an appt every day. She needs round the clock nursing care. If our house was a little bigger, we MIGHT be able to take care of her. But with the violence, we would not want her around the kids. >sigh<

thanks for the hugs and prayers. on the upside, DH is home now. HOPEFULLY, we won't get a call in the middle of the night.

Ativan and other similar medications often make older combative patients worse. Sometimes they cause them to hallucinate which does not help at all! Hope she is better soon!:grouphug:

:iagree: I have known people without Alzheimers to become combative with ativan. Perhaps they need smarter docs and nurses at the care facility. ;) praying for her and your DH while he decides what to do from here.

She wants to come live with us. She can barely walk and we have an upstairs. And we have the 2 kids, and an appt every day. She needs round the clock nursing care. If our house was a little bigger, we MIGHT be able to take care of her. But with the violence, we would not want her around the kids. >sigh<

Please don't feel guilty about not being able to have your MIL live with you. Her condition is only going to get worse, and the responsibility will be absolutely overwhelming for you, even if you are able to hire round-the-clock help ( and aside from being super-expensive, it's also very difficult to find reliable help that you would trust in your house with your kids.)

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Ativan and other similar medications often make older combative patients worse. Sometimes they cause them to hallucinate which does not help at all! Hope she is better soon!:grouphug:

:iagree: Exactly this :iagree:

Alzheimers is so hard, and I think that the families have a worse time than the patients in most cases.

:grouphug: you have my deepest sympathy :grouphug: