Menu

What do devout Catholic women think about...

Nancy Leigh DeMoss?

Beth Moore?

Above Rubies magazine

What do you think the Church's stance would be on these things?

We are new converts (converted last Easter) and I am trying to get a feeling for how much of my "former Christian life" to include in my "new Christian life". :)

I am not Catholic but LDS. The last Above Rubies read classified me as belonging to a cult. I am guessing they also don't like Catholics ( I could be wrong.) If you can read and glean the good then I would do so. I did so until I read that one article and realized I could find good to read elsewhere. Congrats on your conversion.

I can't say specifically, but as a relatively new convert too (4.5 years) I think it is wise and prudent to stay away from such things. If you are looking for Bible studies or spiritual reading, there are orthodox Catholic sources for such things. Read the writings of saints, for instance, or books by Scott Hahn.

I can't say specifically, but as a relatively new convert too (4.5 years) I think it is wise and prudent to stay away from such things. If you are looking for Bible studies or spiritual reading, there are orthodox Catholic sources for such things. Read the writings of saints, for instance, or books by Scott Hahn.

I was going to post something similar earlier but SQUIRREL!

I have only recently began to understand the gift of the saints' lives. Their biographies provide all the devotional material and wisdom I could ever need (or digest). BTW, this is not taking anything away from the Bible or Mass or Catechism in case someone should interpret it that way.

I am not Catholic but I'm curious about what would be wrong with Beth Moore (that's the only one I'm familiar with)? Most of the studies that I've done of hers are mostly scriptural analyses - not doctrinal, kwim?

We're doing her study on the Tabernacle right now and we've got all sorts of Christians in the group - Catholic, Lutheran, AOG, and me.

I am not Catholic but I'm curious about what would be wrong with Beth Moore (that's the only one I'm familiar with)? Most of the studies that I've done of hers are mostly scriptural analyses - not doctrinal, kwim?

We're doing her study on the Tabernacle right now and we've got all sorts of Christians in the group - Catholic, Lutheran, AOG, and me.

Off the top, my knee jerk reaction as a catholic convert, is that if I am studying scripture, I should study it from a catholic understanding, which I'm guessing I shouldn't expect from a Protestant source.:)

I was making a general statement. The saints have been tried and true, KWIM? I don't know Beth Moore so my post was not anti-Beth Moore. And if I was a newly minted Catholic, I would focus on soaking up Catholic culture for the time being.

I'm slowly turning Orthodox from evangelical Christianity, and for me I have chosen to disengage from evangelical writings, speeches/sermons, Bible interpretations, and entertainment/encouragement. For me, it's partly to protect myself from temptation to be judgmental, and it's also to aid in the conversion process. I love to read Saints lives and I have an excellent Orthodox catechism book, which I study with the kids. I like to study early Church history, read the Gospel for the day, and when I have time I like to read liturgical texts (hymns and prayers for the various services.) It's also nice to listen to liturgical services & chanted hymns, as well as Orthodox teaching podcasts.

I was making a general statement. The saints have been tried and true, KWIM? I don't know Beth Moore so my post was not anti-Beth Moore. And if I was a newly minted Catholic, I would focus on soaking up Catholic culture for the time being.

Yes. This. It is not about Beth Moore or any of the others the OP mentioned.

They are Protestant.

Catholics, especially newbies, should seek Catholic sources first.

If you want doctrine, Above Rubies and Beth Moore is not it. Stick to Catholic resources.

That said, I read Moore and Above Rubies. I don't find them evil at all. ;) Many points of view are good things, and I don't typically find the writings of other Christians offensive at all to Catholics unless they deliberately mean to be offensive IYKWIM.

If you have a question of whether something you read applies to you specifically as a Catholic, then go back to the Catholic sources and look it up.

Full disclosure: I too am a convert, 16 years now. Before that my family of origin is Baptist, but I attended 8 years of Catholic schooling/doctrine before converting (simply because school district was bad so I was sent to private Catholic schools to be educated).

Edited by WeeBeaks

Nancy Leigh DeMoss?

Beth Moore?

Above Rubies magazine

What do you think the Church's stance would be on these things?

We are new converts (converted last Easter) and I am trying to get a feeling for how much of my "former Christian life" to include in my "new Christian life". :)

My test question would be:

Does these sources teach that the sacrament of Holy Eucharist is Jesus -- body, blood, soul and divinity?

I have only recently began to understand the gift of the saints' lives. Their biographies provide all the devotional material and wisdom I could ever need (or digest). BTW, this is not taking anything away from the Bible or Mass or Catechism in case someone should interpret it that way.

:iagree: I totally agree with LG.

There is excellent stuff written by Protestants, but to a new Catholic, it's so hard to differentiate what lines up with the Catholic POV and what doesn't, and more importantly-WHY.

I've kinda put myself in a play pen until I get myself situated enough to let myself have the run of the first floor. :001_smile:

Yes. This. It is not about Beth Moore or any of the others the OP mentioned.

They are Protestant.

Catholics, especially newbies, should seek Catholic sources first.

I agree and I am not Catholic. It's nice to believe that you can read anything from any denomination and keep the good stuff and throw away the bad but I just don't think that is wise.

1. You may end up offended at something they say. Why put yourself in that position?

2. You may end up confused. Seek counsel from your church leaders.

3. You may end up spending more time "undoing" their teachings. What I mean is this: 99.8% of the churches on this island are charasmatic and/or word-faith churches. We are decidedly NOT of that persuasion. My choices are to attend these churches and spend the rest of that Sunday telling my kids to disregard most of what they heard (as well as telling myself that) or we can home church with like-minded believers. We chose the latter.

"Can't we all just get along?" Well, of course. But face it, if you believe in Transubstantiation and the Bible teachers you are studying do not, it is kind of an issue, kwim?

Like Chucki, I'm clueless on all three.

I would say as a general rule that if it helps you in your spirituality and doesn't take anything away from it or from your beliefs now, then it should be fine. I think you'll know when you read or hear something if it's in opposition to the teachings of the Catholic Church.

The lives of the Saints make for amazing reading and are so spiritually uplifting. There is such a wealth of wisdom in their writings. Again, these readings should bring you closer to God.

I am not Catholic but LDS. The last Above Rubies read classified me as belonging to a cult. I am guessing they also don't like Catholics ( I could be wrong.) If you can read and glean the good then I would do so. I did so until I read that one article and realized I could find good to read elsewhere. Congrats on your conversion.

There are many Christian publications and groups that would classify the LDS as a cult, but consider the RC as legitimately Christian. Just saying that, because one is considered such, does not mean that another is. It's usually the LDS and JW's lumped in together and the RC can be here or there depending upon the person or group.

I'm EO, but I'm familiar with what you have mentioned.

I have Nancy Leigh DeMoss on my bookcase from when I was Reformed. There are things that I like about her, however, like in the Biblical Womanhood thread, she has a certain ideal and her books seem to be about listing out the ideal. I believe Nancy Leigh DeMoss is Reformed or Evangelical.

I have my old Beth Moore studies, only because I wrote in them and would need to find a bonfire to destroy them. Her Breaking Free book was helpful when we were coming out of a very destructive church. Her other studies, I'm not thrilled with...wasn't thrilled with them before turning EO and am not thrilled with them now. In one, she wanted us to imagine Christ as our lover...big, sleek thighs and all....uhm, no, I think not! Beth Moore is Southern Baptist, I believe.

I've only seen a couple of Above Rubies magazine and I don't remember anything controversial in them...not sure. I believe there was some fall out behind the scenes with the magazine at one time. Not sure what it all was. Personally, there wasn't enough in it to capture my interest. I'd pass on it, imo.

I have my old Beth Moore studies, only because I wrote in them and would need to find a bonfire to destroy them. Her Breaking Free book was helpful when we were coming out of a very destructive church. Her other studies, I'm not thrilled with...wasn't thrilled with them before turning EO and am not thrilled with them now. In one, she wanted us to imagine Christ as our lover...big, sleek thighs and all....uhm, no, I think not! Beth Moore is Southern Baptist, I believe.

Which BM study is THAT in? Wow. I've done a lot of them and don't recall this at all.

We have Catholics in our Beth Moore study who are fine with it. Of course, we aren't discussing Eucharist--it definitely is a point of difference. I disagree with that part of Baptist teaching, but find it doesn't play into her studies really at all.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the idea to mine your denomination's resources first. Catholicism is rich and deep, and wonderful!

Which BM study is THAT in? Wow. I've done a lot of them and don't recall this at all.

We have Catholics in our Beth Moore study who are fine with it. Of course, we aren't discussing Eucharist--it definitely is a point of difference. I disagree with that part of Baptist teaching, but find it doesn't play into her studies really at all.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the idea to mine your denomination's resources first. Catholicism is rich and deep, and wonderful!

I want to elaborate on my post and specify that is MY focus, the Eucharist, and that I realize it might not be everyone else's focus.

Jesus, One and Only. Yes, it's there. Our entire class was stunned. We had to try to explain to the leader why we were offended.

Jesus, One and Only. Yes, it's there. Our entire class was stunned. We had to try to explain to the leader why we were offended. I can't remember if it was in the book, the video, or both. I just remember that it was very disturbing.

I didn't say anything about Baptist teaching, just stated where she was aligned with at one time.

Edited by mommaduck

Jesus, One and Only. Yes, it's there. Our entire class was stunned. We had to try to explain to the leader why we were offended.

Oh wow! That would have been a major :ack2: factor for me too!

I did Beth Moore's Daniel study and really liked that one. It was meaty and I got a lot out of it and no icky Jesus references.