Menu

Just trying to make you all feel better in case.....

we are soooo behind LOL....

Us to :glare: We all took turns being sick. DS had several bad chest infections, dh had high blood pressure out of control and I was being screened for cancer. Some curriculum choices did not work out, and as newbies we were trying to cram in too much too soon, so we are starting over...

If we have to work through the summer we will but I am going to loose sleep over spilled milk. This is me now: :chillpill:

We had a 6 week break and have started week to of math and grammar only. Today....2 math and 1 grammar lesson. We have 71 grammar lessons left to finish the book and 45 math lessons.

If we do 2 of each every day we will be done and then do just history, science and CWP for the test of the year.

This week we will hit 100 days for the school year!

We started back the second Monday in January after being off since the beginning of November. It wasn't planned, but too much heartache to focus on school. (swim saga/bullying/dd's weakness) Even with all that time off, we will be done with our grammar in May, history and science before then, with math and spelling finishing in June, not to mention other little educational projects we add in.

I was stressed, now I'm :D. Happy we won't have to school this summer.

Dd8. Will but dad is taking that stress off my hands. Another:D

You guys are the best. :grouphug:

I know we will do school over the summer -- the days are too long otherwise, it's only a couple of hours, and we go to the pool in the afternoon so what's the big deal? :001_huh:

And, I have to tell you (I was telling a cc mom this last week) as a former classroom teacher, there were Jan, Feb and March school days where I was up to my eyeballs in admin paperwork and those kids sat and basically 'independently self-taught' in the classroom - subjects like history.....and, um, history. Oh, and their science book was pretty much student directed so that was another one. And, their parents HATED homework, so they would do 'seat work.'

It just took my son two hours to find one quality adjective for three nouns. It is lesson 6 in an IEW book. We may have been doing school but we are still way behind where I would like to be. Sigh. I *know* it will get done but at this pace is will take forever.

Maybe we should have taken a break, perhaps focus would have been sharper.

Good luck to you!!

It just took my son two hours to find one quality adjective for three nouns. It is lesson 6 in an IEW book. We may have been doing school but we are still way behind where I would like to be. Sigh. I *know* it will get done but at this pace is will take forever.

Maybe we should have taken a break, perhaps focus would have been sharper.

Good luck to you!!

My kids do IEW in cc. They have done it in private school, and in a co-op. The co-op teacher who did IEW had a rather 'workable' approach -- (this was after watching me with dd11 do an early cc IEW lesson sounding amazingly smiilar to your lesson 6 - :glare:) and she told me that she felt very strongly that doing everything in an IEW lesson was going to make a kid HATE IEW.

IMO, cc is killing us with the IEW assignments - I think that at some point (and trust me, I am almost there) we have to trust our instincts and pare down what we think is overwhelming.

Give you and your son a break!:grouphug:

Give you and your son a break!:grouphug:

I am trying. I am in a self imposed time out for lunch break and I will try to regroup for finishing up with a smile. The practical parts of homeschooling can be mighty challenging on days like this. :)

you feel that you haven't been getting enough school work accomplished:

We are just starting back today from a VERY long Christmas break.:glare:

Just thought I would share.

I am so with you! The Christmas break along with long weekends at the beginning of the year and hockey tourneys have wreaked havoc on my school schedule. This week is our first full week back since the holidays...sigh :tongue_smilie:

We just hit the reboot button - we have been off for one reason or another since the start of August.

Ditto here. I just revamped our schedule, told dh he HAD to help (he's glad he said yes... for many reasons :lol:), and have been blunt with family and friends about the fact that we will NOT be available during school hours. period. no debates. no compromise. just. can't. do. it. This last week has been wonderful... despite still finding our feet.

THANK YOU!!

Between this and the "resigning" thread, I am feeling much less lonely and incompetent today.

:grouphug:

I am trying. I am in a self imposed time out for lunch break and I will try to regroup for finishing up with a smile. The practical parts of homeschooling can be mighty challenging on days like this. :)

Glad to help -- I keep reminding myself that it is precisely this time of year - four years ago - that I marched the twins into public school and had them sit out the rest of first grade there. I say 'sit out' b/c we basically finished first grade over the summer that year -- they learned how to make choices in the lunch line, and they were invited to alot of parties, but I have to say, I saw nothing else that they did that was of value.

I keep telling myself that RELATIONSHIP is much more important in the long run than RITUAL -- as long as (my qualifier) they are leaning what they have to learn.

Today is the first full day after a two month break (but we've been school lite a day here and there=not much!). But I also school all summer, so I'm not really behind.

:iagree: same here -- and I have to say, we have been up to our ears in science fair, and the twins will spend hours looking things up in the encyclopedia and reading to each other --

I guess I mean that we are starting to our curric stuff again today.:D

Ditto here. I just revamped our schedule, told dh he HAD to help (he's glad he said yes... for many reasons :lol:), and have been blunt with family and friends about the fact that we will NOT be available during school hours. period. no debates. no compromise. just. can't. do. it. This last week has been wonderful... despite still finding our feet.

This is what I have just done too. This is the third week now where dh is correcting the daily work folder and going over the mistakes with ds. I am really enjoying school more now, and dh is getting into it. He knows more of what we are up to. I think he also sees just how much I was doing on my own. He has always been on board with homeschooling, but it is wonderful having him involved and helping.

I also had to put some big boundaries up with friends. I am homeschooling, therefore I am available anytime they need as I am not doing anything:confused:

So, 1/3rd of our way through the year, how far behind am I? Is this the half way point for ps?

Thanks for this thread:grouphug:

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

I was so impressed with myself because we actually started back the first week of the year. Of course, we haven't done anything at all since that week. I started anti-depressants then caught a really nasty cold, had to prepare for my first cloverbud meeting and finish cleaning up from the holidays. Now my little one is sick and my son seems to be getting it, we're supposed to start bowling again this week in addition to gymnastics and I'm almost at the point of having to prepare for my next cloverbud meeting.

We aren't behind because the kids are very young, we school year round and don't have to report anything anyway.

Mariann, I have always loved your posts! Thank you, especially, for this one! I have been trying to find my groove since Christmas, and I feel like I may have it this week (maybe?). It's been stressful here for many reasons since late November, so we are behind where I thought we could be.

I'm glad I am not alone in needing to readjust, regroup, and begin a little later! It's a marathon, not a sprint, right? :D

I am so thankful to have read this thread. We are having quite a go of it around here. I had to put dd5 in the PS kindergarten here starting last Friday. It was a tough decision, but I think she will enjoy it.

I am dealing with A LOT of stress related to ds10's med. issues, and I have been VERY down these last few months. To top it off, DH and I are both sick today.

I feel like we are so behind in everything with my older 2 (both fourth grade). We will be going through the summer with schooling since DH will be deployed then and I think it's best for all of our sanity!

Reading this thread let me know I am NOT a failure, I am NOT alone and that we will get back on track eventually. Thanks!! :grouphug:

Mariann, I have always loved your posts! Thank you, especially, for this one! I have been trying to find my groove since Christmas, and I feel like I may have it this week (maybe?). It's been stressful here for many reasons since late November, so we are behind where I thought we could be.

I'm glad I am not alone in needing to readjust, regroup, and begin a little later! It's a marathon, not a sprint, right? :D

I think you have made much better what was turning into a rather 'cr*ppy' day!

Our agent has emailed me feedback for all the many showings these past few days........all very positive but all eliminating our home with reasons like: we just started looking; driveway needs to be widened ( - so? widen it); not enough cabinet space (REALLY?); we will outgrow it quickly (then go spend $100k more and rattle around in a mc mansion).

Sorry - I am venting and hijacking at the same time.

I guess the long and short of it is that there is much more to educating a child than curriculum.

And, again, thanks for your kind words.:grouphug:

We've been up to our ears in holiday travel, orthodontist appointments, transcript preparation, college apps and scholarship apps, so we're not even going to start until <*gasp!*> next Monday.

DS did start his CC (not classical conversations, community college) classes middle of last week, though, just without me. Our work together on our great books curriculum is what needs another weekend of rest and teacher catch-up.

I've been having a hard time getting my step sons to do any school work, yesterday it took dss9 2 hours to finish 1 lesson in TT3. Dss7 did 2 lessons in Singapore Math today! :hurray: I guess he finally figured out it's better just to get it done. I don't think ds5 has done much sense Christmas break. I think dd13 is on Module 3 in Apologia Biology :001_huh: I didn't push her to do it because she's busy with everything else. I figure she's taking Astronomy at the ps so it counts as science, right?

I thought it was just at my house!

I am so thankful to have read this thread. We are having quite a go of it around here. I had to put dd5 in the PS kindergarten here starting last Friday. It was a tough decision, but I think she will enjoy it.

I am dealing with A LOT of stress related to ds10's med. issues, and I have been VERY down these last few months. To top it off, DH and I are both sick today.

I feel like we are so behind in everything with my older 2 (both fourth grade). We will be going through the summer with schooling since DH will be deployed then and I think it's best for all of our sanity!

Reading this thread let me know I am NOT a failure, I am NOT alone and that we will get back on track eventually. Thanks!! :grouphug:

I am glad this thread helps and I am sorry you all have SO much on your plate right now. Your K-er will love kindergarten -- pat yourself on the back for doing a good thing for her.

I taught fourth grade in the classroom -- PM me with any questions -- I know how to make it relatively pain free for you. I LOVED teaching fourth grade.:grouphug:

I've been having a hard time getting my step sons to do any school work, yesterday it took dss9 2 hours to finish 1 lesson in TT3. Dss7 did 2 lessons in Singapore Math today! :hurray: I guess he finally figured out it's better just to get it done. I don't think ds5 has done much sense Christmas break. I think dd13 is on Module 3 in Apologia Biology :001_huh: I didn't push her to do it because she's busy with everything else. I figure she's taking Astronomy at the ps so it counts as science, right? yes it does.:D

I thought it was just at my house![/QUOTE] no, it's not. :banghead: