Menu

times tables struggles

My 8 year old just can't seem to get through his times tables. No matter how many tricks, games, cards, focused walk throughs we do. We will recite 8x8=64 10 times and then I'll ask him what 8x8 is and he has a blank stare on his face. Oh, and no, he has no learning disabilities whatsoever, he's just not retaining his times tables. And yes, it's been verified that he has no learning disabilities.

Any advice welcome. Sorry if I sound short here, I'm just frustrated with this one. We need to move on, but I fear moving on without mastering the times tables will hurt him later on.

Thoughts?

Some children can memorize 'skip counting' much easier than naming the facts. Skip counting is easy to carry over (build on) and also helps a LOT with division and reducing fractions!

My girls learned their multiplication facts by first skip counting-- we made up rhythms/chants and jumped rope to our skip counting. Whole-body involvement made learning them so much faster!

My 8 year old just can't seem to get through his times tables. No matter how many tricks, games, cards, focused walk throughs we do. We will recite 8x8=64 10 times and then I'll ask him what 8x8 is and he has a blank stare on his face.

Learn the 3's and 5's.

2's - double

4's - double twice

8's - double thrice

6's - triple then double

9's - either use the hand trick or multiply by 10 and subtract (e.g. 7*9 is 70-7)

(ETA: fixed the typo above, 70-7, not 70-9)

Learn the 7's not covered above.

11 - times 10 plus one more instance

12 - times 10 plus two more instances

Much easier than skip counting.

Edited by nmoira
typo

Great ideas, everyone! Just remember, the "want to" has to be there for ANYTHING to work. ;) Sometimes with my ds, I've found that he needs .....how can I say this without sounding like a behaviorist.... a good reason to apply himself. Small "rewards" for small goals is the way to go. Also, he is one that gets easily overwhelmed. We are also working on the times tables, so I've had to severely limit the number of "facts" that we include in any game, drill, etc. Sometimes it's just 2 or 3 facts from which to choose. HTH

My 8 year old just can't seem to get through his times tables. No matter how many tricks, games, cards, focused walk throughs we do. We will recite 8x8=64 10 times and then I'll ask him what 8x8 is and he has a blank stare on his face. Oh, and no, he has no learning disabilities whatsoever, he's just not retaining his times tables. And yes, it's been verified that he has no learning disabilities.

Any advice welcome. Sorry if I sound short here, I'm just frustrated with this one. We need to move on, but I fear moving on without mastering the times tables will hurt him later on.

Thoughts?

We stopped and got out the math blocks. Build it to know it. Know it, you don't have to build it.

Yahtzee. Lots of Yahtzee.

Dd was stuck when she was 8, too (many years ago), and I stumbled upon using Yahtzee when I realized she could just look at three 2s and know they totaled "six". When I explained to her that was 2x3, a light bulb came on. I got inventive with the dice (by adding more dice) once she had mastered all she could with the Yahtzee dice. She used to think she was dumb at math (her words), but now does math very fast in her head.

Nmoira, your rhyme sounds really cool. I'll have to revisit that when I don't have a headache, because right now, that is going over my head. :001_huh: :lol:

Learn the 3's and 5's.

2's - double

4's - double twice

8's - double thrice

6's - triple then double

9's - either use the hand trick or multiply by 10 and subtract (e.g. 7*9 is 70-9)

Learn the 7's not covered above.

11 - times 10 plus one more instance

12 - times 10 plus two more instances

Much easier than skip counting.

:iagree:

When I was teaching 6th graders who had never learned theirs, and I used to drill them, I would just wait. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get it if you know how to get it. Yes, it's better to memorize for fluency, but it's also good to have tricks for calculation. And the above is what I often taught kids.

:iagree:

When I was teaching 6th graders who had never learned theirs, and I used to drill them, I would just wait. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get it if you know how to get it. Yes, it's better to memorize for fluency, but it's also good to have tricks for calculation. And the above is what I often taught kids.

Thanks for quoting. I saw my typo and fixed it :) Edited by nmoira

Times Attack is fun for kids. Also, just move onto other math academically while letting him do Timez Attack, xtra math or similar and loop back periodically to check multiplication. Division, fractions and applied math will help make the multiplication more memorable and relevant. Memorization alone should not be the test here before moving on.

My DD didn't really know her times tables until last year (6th grade). Yes, we worked on them, but it just didn't click until then.

So I think maybe some kids take longer.

(She is WHIZZING through pre-algebra this year though...:-)

My oldest ds is 11 (5th grade) and he's also just now learning his times table. My youngest ds is 8 (3rd grade) and is also struggling. I've resorted to letting him have a "cheat sheet". I may look at the times table dvd someone mentioned.

Thoughts?

We used rods with DS and sometimes sang silly songs while clapping like, "8 by 8, it fell on the floor. When it stood back up it was 64."

DS prefers practice via the keyboard. Linky follows...

http://www.mathusee.com/wp-includes/popup_math_drill.php

Another vote for Times Tales.

Absolutely NOTHING worked for my dyslexic dd until we got Times Tales. Four years later and she still uses what she learned with Times Tales to do her math work.

Recently, for the fun of it (did you hear the evil laugh there?), I drilled dd (now 7th) and ds (9th) with some times table questions. Dd was faster to answer than ds (who takes Art of Problem Solving classes).

Having said that, ds despised Times Tales and would not use it. He just does not learn that way. Dd, on the other hand, is very artistic and I think the pictures in Times Tales was perfect for her.