Menu

And the winner is!!!!! (pencil sharpener thread)

CLASSROOM FRIENDLY SUPPLIES SHARPENER!!!!

I know you were all eagerly awaiting my report after my looooong whiny thread about not being able to find a decent sharpener, and how basically my whole life was being ruining by dull and breaking pencil tips ;)

Anyhoo, we received this sharpener about a week ago, shipped quickly, and we are in LOVE. All our pencils are poke-your-eye-out sharp now. I also bought Dixon Noir pencils which are amazing. The two together? I''m in heaven.

I think I'm going to have to try that combo now. Did you install the sharpener? Or just leave it loose?

We attached it to the edge of my computer desk. It can be used without attaching but it;s much easier for my younger to use it when it's attached. It has a simple clamp. We're happy! And free shipping is a good thing :)

I couldn't get that one to even WORK. I'd put the pencil in and the collar slipped right back to the body and it just wouldn't work. :glare:

Did you release the tabs--when you release the tabs it "locks". It might have been defective and I bet she would have replaced it for your for free?

WOOT! Yes its pretty awesome sharpener. First one I've found that doesn't break my pencil tips (which has always been my biggest problem). I like my pencil super sharp so I would over sharpen most of the time. Classroom Friendly Supplies Sharpener stops you from doing that, you can't over sharpen with it. Plus it has the sharpest tip I've ever gotten out of a sharpener. Win win situation.

I couldn't get that one to even WORK. I'd put the pencil in and the collar slipped right back to the body and it just wouldn't work. :glare:

When you pull out the metal clamping area, it should stay open (even without a pencil in it). Than you can place your pencil in it. Once you turn the handle, it releases and will push the pencil against the blades. If the metal clamping area is not staying open on its own or won't clamp the pencil, I would believe something is wrong with the unit you have, as mine works as I stated above. I would contact them and find out.

• 4 weeks later...

After that thread, I bought the same sharpener and I second the recommendation. It is absolutely wonderful. My kids used to be in tears because they couldn't get their pencils to sharpen. For three days after we got that one, they dug up all the pencils we had (probably over 100, it was ridiculous) and sharpened them all. They love it. It even works on really cheap pencils. I'm going to stop now because I sound like an infomercial. :p

I'm confused about this little slidy area. What's that for? How does that work?

There is a video on the website but basically, it holds the pencil in place so you won't even be touching the pencil while it is sharpening. It prevents you from oversharpening the pencil.

• 2 months later...

Okay, I have a question! I got this one (essentially - it's this one from Amazon, which someone else posted that they thought it was the same thing).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D7S9FI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Anyway, it sharpens great (once I figured it out) BUT we've had two leads break off inside, and it's quite a production to get that lead out. Any advice there? Also, how do you know when it's sharp? Do you have to keep pulling the pencil out to check? I accidentally kept going and it got so sharp that it could have stabbed someone to death.

Edited by tammyw

I have a Japanese one that's similar, bought at Jet Pens, and it stops when done.

That would be nice! It's kind of a pain to have to keep pulling it out to check, since it's got that spring-action, and it's not an easy "in/out".

Grrrr!

How is yours for broken leads inside? I can't believe I was hoping this was "the one". I didn't even get to go through a honeymoon stage!

I haven't had any broken leads inside! :D heh. I've had it for several months, and it's been dropped on the floor more than once....

I couldn't figure out how to use it. (Japanese only instructions on box not clear enough for me.) Finally my kids played around with it (!) and figured out you have to pull the thing out, stick the pencil in, and then start cranking. It has two settings, it seems, one for a long, pointy end, the other for a flatter end.

This is the style I have: http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-KH-20-Hand-Crank-Pencil-Sharpeners/ct/1128

I haven't had any broken leads inside! :D heh. I've had it for several months, and it's been dropped on the floor more than once....

I couldn't figure out how to use it. (Japanese only instructions on box not clear enough for me.) Finally my kids played around with it (!) and figured out you have to pull the thing out, stick the pencil in, and then start cranking. It has two settings, it seems, one for a long, pointy end, the other for a flatter end.

This is the style I have: http://www.jetpens.com/Uni-KH-20-Hand-Crank-Pencil-Sharpeners/ct/1128

Hmmm. I don't see any settings on mine. Hopefully someone who has this particular style can pop in and tell me if I'm doing it wrong.

Anyway, it sharpens great (once I figured it out) BUT we've had two leads break off inside, and it's quite a production to get that lead out. Any advice there? Also, how do you know when it's sharp? Do you have to keep pulling the pencil out to check? I accidentally kept going and it got so sharp that it could have stabbed someone to death.

I have this one. I carry it along with me when I substitute teach and the kids are crazy about it. I keep going until the resistance eases and then I check it. And yes, it makes a really sharp point. That's the point. :lol:

I have this one. I carry it along with me when I substitute teach and the kids are crazy about it. I keep going until the resistance eases and then I check it. And yes, it makes a really sharp point. That's the point. :lol:

Yeah--mine basically stops sharpening (i.e. you are spinning it with no resistence) when it is done. I have had a few broken tips but I blame that on the cheap colored pencils I buy. It only take me a second to unscrew it and take the tip out.

Seriously, I thank this thread and Halcyon every day since getting this sharpener :D

Okay, I have a question! I got this one (essentially - it's this one from Amazon, which someone else posted that they thought it was the same thing).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D7S9FI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

So is the Amazon one the same thing? Prime has me spoiled with 2 day shipping.