Menu

How can you tell if a bone is human or animal?

Libby just brought in a bone from the bushes. It is just the joint and about 3 in. of bone obviously cut by a saw. It is stinky and I took it from her. I'm 99.9% sure that it was dropped by some neighborhood dog but I read a lot of mysteries and got to thinking. . . It's basically the right size for a human bone. How would you tell the difference?

(Chris in VA- today's question is brought esp. for you!)

I would try to figure out where it is from (hip, shoulder, etc) and then compare it to the average human and the most likely animal bones (cow, pig) - consider size and shape. Also consider the cut marks - do they look industrial/professional or a little more amateurish?

Then ask yourself - has there been anyone reported missing in the area? Maybe someone with a lot of money and even more enemies. Are you located near an English country house? With a guest visiting the area that is a little Belgium man, a fussy older lady or a man with a pipe and deer stalker hat?

We also found a few bones recently at the beach. It really freaked us out!! We convinced ourselves that they were human. I took some pics and sent them to my Step dad. I don't think he ever responded though...

I do admit though, to having an over active imagination and no anatomy skills! :D

It's the distal (bottom) end of a femur, almost certainly cow. Trust me, I'm a zooarchaeologist!

As a general rule, human bone tends to be more "spongy" than animal, but that's hard to judge unless you're familiar with both. People bring hunks of bone into the archaeology lab where I work all the time, we never mind taking a look for them.

It's the distal (bottom) end of a femur, almost certainly cow. Trust me, I'm a zooarchaeologist!

As a general rule, human bone tends to be more "spongy" than animal, but that's hard to judge unless you're familiar with both. People bring hunks of bone into the archaeology lab where I work all the time, we never mind taking a look for them.

I vote ungulate.

Thanks.

It looks pretty fresh.

:eek:

And it stinks to high heaven. Now, the dog who not only chewed on it but rolled in it, stinks to high heaven.

And it stinks to high heaven. Now, the dog who not only chewed on it but rolled in it, stinks to high heaven.

I believe it! When we lived in the country, we had a dog that liked to and easily did jump our fence. Often when she jumped back into the yard she would bring things with her. We'd wake up with a yard filled with beer case cardboard and other things that she would steal from the neighbors' yards.

One evening I looked out and saw that she was in the yard, but I noticed something on the fence. It was huge. I sent my DH out to investigate. Stuck on the fence was a rotting deer carcass. She had found it somewhere, dragged it home, and tried to get it in the yard as she jumped the fence.

He tried and tried to knock it off of the fence but it was on there tight. Eventually he managed to get it down, and we had to bury it. It was horrible. The smell was disgusting.

Needless to say she was kept inside unless supervised. She was so sad not to be able to jump the fence, but she obviously couldn't be trusted to stay in the yard (only some of our property was fenced and she enjoyed running the rest of it).

As a general rule, human bone tends to be more "spongy" than animal, but that's hard to judge unless you're familiar with both.

Yes, to me it was a bone of something that carried more weight. Plus, it is a classic cut for a bone for dogs. I used to buy them for my Dane. If someone was hacking up a human, they'd cut mid femur. Not isolate a knee. It's elementary!