Menu

Any "crime"-related careers that don't require tons of science?

My daughter is fascinated with any type of forensic show/book and really thought she wanted to be a forensic technician. Unfortunately she absolutely hates science and doesn't want a career that will require many years of science to accomplish. There is also no way she would be a police/FBI officer or anything that required exposure to a lot of physical danger.

So, need some feedback from all you more creative moms out there...can you think of ANY type of career that would allow her to work in some way within this field without having to major in science or having to put herself in physical danger?

Thanks in advance for your input!!!!!!

Kelly

Psychological profiling? But, then again most have medical degrees.

Records, filing processing

There is a call for internet research in most fields now days.

Electronic engineering, device development?

Accounting, a lot of white collar crime out there.

?? Just thoughts ;)

I was a police dispatcher and police report transcriptionist before having kids. Enough of a law enforcement "taste" without being in danger. There were times we, having constant access to the computer and reports and past calls, were able to do a little detective work to piece things together for the officers out on calls. I also ran criminal histories and entered warrants. I knew who had a protection order on who before dispatching domestic violence calls. It was a small city, but I knew several "regulars", if their license was revoked, if they were wanted, if they usually had drugs on them.

I've worked in a large metro area too, which was less "personal" but still rewarding.

• 2 years later...

When you say she "hates science", that could just be she doesn't care for whatever programs you've used in your homeschool. I know plenty of people who thought they "hated science" when it turned out they just didn't like the boring textbooks used in their K-12 schooling. At college, they had to take a science course to satisfy the general ed requirements, they discovered that they really DID like science and wound up switching their major.

I would encourage you to consider seeing if your local police department has any volunteer opportunities available. I did this for a summer and it was utterly memorable. I honestly don't think most of them had an enormous amount of science. In fact, I looked up a job listing, and it requires a science bachelor's degree with 8+ units in chemistry. That, to me, is not a lot for a science career, because generally a science bachelor's isn't really enough, but maybe it's too much if one doesn't like science! ha. But I'm not sure exactly what you mean that she doesn't like science but wants to work in forensic science. I know someone else who did dispatch work. 

How about some time of writing/journalism?  Investigative reporter (I know dying career field).

I was one of those students who hated Science in school, but did extremely well in it (99 percentile on all my ISTEP's) Then I took a Bio class in College and loved it.  I'm still fascinated with Science, forensics, genetics, anthropology, geology, you name.  I would look into other Science programs.  See if there is a class offered near you, look at local museums, nature centers, even Parks and Rec.

:iagree: My brother answers phones for the police and will train to be a dispatcher eventually. He LOVES it. The stickybeak. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie

I assume stickybeak means something like "nosey" here in the States.  What a splendid word!  I *heart* amazing words.