Menu

Early teething? Is it possible?

DD has been unusually fussy lately and has started chewing her tongue. I just thought I'd look up signs of teething online and she met every single one of them!

She's drooling now. She's been fussy while eating (I read that sucking sometimes hurts the gums if teething). She's been waking at night. She's been gnawing....her hands, her tongue, occasionally my breast (ouch! Even though its only gums!).

Surely shes not teething at 2.5 months old, right??

Beware! My early teethers have had the most problems, as far as biting me while nursing! It's like they don't really know where to channel that feeling, or don't really have nursing boundaries, or something. I just know that my 3rd and my 8th got teeth early (around 3 months), and my 8th child had 8 teeth before he turned 7 months, so he just kept teething. And biting me. SO painful! He drew blood a few times, and I was not real excited about continuing to nurse him, LOL. But finally he is not teething anymore, and things have definitely settled down in the nursing department. Whew!

My other kids would maybe nip a little, or bite once or twice, but not to the same extent (or as hard!) as my early teethers.

My oldest got his first 2 bottom teeth at 11-12 weeks. He had all of his baby teeth by 18 months. At 11, he's had all of his permanent teeth for 2 years.

Remember to pull your breast away from her if she bites and not let her have it back for a few minutes. This is how I taught my oldest that mom is not for teething. I nursed him until he was 20 months.

Yeah, I had three of those early teethers. Unfortunately for the firstborn, we also thought there was no way he could be teething so young and endured a hellish 8-hour road trip with him screaming...only to have two little pearls pop out of his gums the following morning.

Good times. LOL

Some babes are even born with teeth :eek:

3 months has been common in our house and 2.5 months too. I didn't have any problems with biting while nurisng though (PHEW!!)

In my house early teethers also get their permanent teeth early too; my 2.5 month-er lost his first baby tooth at age 4 and now at 5 has lost about 8 teeth and has his big horse ones in ;), he started losing them before he could even get excited about it.

I could feel and see my son's teeth through his gums around that age, but they didn't come through until closer to 5 months. He wasn't happy. He also got his first four teeth on top and two teeth on the bottom all within a month. Around his first birthday he started getting all his little molars. He's 16 months and I can only now feel his third and fourth front teeth coming in.

From what I have been told, there is an incredibly broad range of normal for everything related to children and teeth.

Several of mine got their first teeth at about 3 months. It isn't that unusual.

Me of them didn't get his first teeth until nearly 2 years old. It isn't terribly unusual either.

Teeth are one of those odd things that have a huge range of normal.

By 4 months 3 of my kids had a mouthful of teeth!

Currently little guy is almost 7 months and has almost 6 teeth already. (2 are about to erupt.)

ETA: Total myth that when the teeth come in determines the teeth proclivity to cavities. Don't ever let them sleep with formula or breastmilk in their mouth and be strict about pop/sweets and their teeth health is likely to be fine.

Edited by Martha