Menu

I got a jury summons

and I guess I am qualified to serve. The notice states "You must has not been convicted of misdeameanor theft or a felony; and is not under indictment or other legal acculation for misdemeanor theft or felony."

The notice also states "you MAY be excused from jury service if is a person enrolled and in actual attendance at an institution of higher education"

Oh, it does also state that I must be able to read and write...:001_huh:

and I guess I am qualified to serve. The notice states "You must has not been convicted of misdeameanor theft or a felony; and is not under indictment or other legal acculation for misdemeanor theft or felony."

The notice also states "you MAY be excused from jury service if is a person enrolled and in actual attendance at an institution of higher education"

Oh, it does also state that I must be able to read and write...:001_huh:

Well obviously you only need to be able to read and write, but not necessarily have it make grammatical sense :lol:

I keep putting mine off. They keep accepting my excuses. I feel bad. Honestly, I would like to serve on a jury sometime. I think it would be interesting and educational. But, right now I have no idea what I would do with the kids. So, I keep telling them I have child care issues and apparently that's a good enough excuse for them.

I have always wondered what other homeschoolers do when they get jury duty?! My mom, who homeschooled my brother and me, always told them that she couldn't because she homeschooled her children. I was summoned to jury duty a while ago and sent in a request to delay it. I found out that apparently, at least our state, they allow you to schedule a single day to serve rather than a whole week of being "on-call." It just means that if they do have any cases on that scheduled day you are guaranteed to be called in. I think that is the only way I can serve (My Dh can plan for one day off to watch the kids but not a whole week, and he needs about a month notice before requesting a particular day off). I will have to see if it works, I will probably be calling them tommorrow and scheduling a day. Good Luck with your jury duty!

It depends on your county... you have to call and check. In my county, you can be excused from jury duty if you are the primary caregiver for children under 12 or for an adult with caregiving needs. In the next county north, they don't excuse people from jury duty. They provide child care on site, though I imagine that they don't often get school-aged kids in the child care. I was just called for federal jury duty (a whole different ball game) and I just had to tell them that I was a primary caregiver for children AND that I was not employed outside the home. If I'd had a part-time job I wouldn't have been excused.

I also feel bad that I haven't served yet, but since I've been called 4 or 5 times in the past 8 years, I'll probably get my chance someday. Interestingly, my husband hasn't ever been called.

Good luck with it though! My mom served a couple times and always seemed to enjoy it. She liked the "government in action" aspects.

:)

Anabel

I could use the excuse of being the primary caregiver for young children in the past, but last year I got called and realized I couldn't do that anymore. Mine are all old enough to leave at home. So I sat on a jury last year for the first time since before kids. It was interesting and I actually enjoyed it.

If your kids are little, they will probably excuse you.

It depends upon where you live. I have jury duty in February and I am required to go. I have a two year old and a nine year old that I homeschool. Apparently here, not having childcare is not an excuse. My husband will have to use vacation days because there isn't anyone I can leave them with.

Suzanne

In NC I have heard we cannot be excused for homeschooling. I just pray that if I get called it isn't during my husband's busy season at work or we will have to hire someone or at least take the youngest to a friend's house. If it isn't busy season, Dh can work from home.

So far we have been here over 6 years and no summons.

In NC I have heard we cannot be excused for homeschooling. I just pray that if I get called it isn't during my husband's busy season at work or we will have to hire someone or at least take the youngest to a friend's house. If it isn't busy season, Dh can work from home.

So far we have been here over 6 years and no summons.

Dawn, unless they have changed things since my kids were little, you can be excused in NC if you are the primary caregiver of young children.

I have been excused twice in NC. You have to send in a form 10 days (I think) before the date you are summoned for. I didn't use homeschooling as my reason;I stated that I had a young child and no family in the area for childcare. I do have an older child who will babysit, but I can't imagine leaving my kids alone for a whole day (much less multiple days or weeks if you get picked for something complex). You get a notice back in the mail if your request is approved.

This is from Texas Home School Coalition:

1. Am I exempt from jury duty because I am a home school teacher?

Yes, if your child is younger than 15 years old.

In 2009 HB 319 amended Section 62.106 of the Texas Government Code and corrected a discrepancy in the law that allowed a person with legal custody of a child to be charged with abandonment or endangerment of a child younger than 15 years of age but did not allow a person to claim an exemption from jury service unless the child was less than 10 years of age. For those with children under 15 years old, balancing the time demands of jury service with the management of their child’s care can be challenging, especially for single parents, parents with low household incomes and parents who teach their children at home. These parents no longer have to risk charges of child abandonment simply for performing a civic duty. (This measure goes into effect September 1, 2009.)

You can claim exempt status.

It depends on your county... you have to call and check. In my county, you can be excused from jury duty if you are the primary caregiver for children under 12 or for an adult with caregiving needs. In the next county north, they don't excuse people from jury duty. They provide child care on site, though I imagine that they don't often get school-aged kids in the child care. I was just called for federal jury duty (a whole different ball game) and I just had to tell them that I was a primary caregiver for children AND that I was not employed outside the home. If I'd had a part-time job I wouldn't have been excused.

I also feel bad that I haven't served yet, but since I've been called 4 or 5 times in the past 8 years, I'll probably get my chance someday. Interestingly, my husband hasn't ever been called.

Good luck with it though! My mom served a couple times and always seemed to enjoy it. She liked the "government in action" aspects.

:)

Anabel

My summons does state that if you have children younger than 12 you MAY be excused; it refers you to the government code to look up on the internet. The exemption clause in the code online states that the child must be younger than 10. :001_huh:

It doesn't really matter if it is really 10 or 12 because my youngest will be 13 next week.

It aggravates me that the summons is so messed up, but then there is a paragraph about how I need to be dressed in clothing reasonably befitting the dignity and solemnity of court proceeding--even down to capri pants aren't allowed.

Also included were these instructions on how to ride the bus to jury duty:

1. Plan your trip.

2. Go to the bus stop. Look for the bus stop sign with your bus route number. Wait for the bus to arrive.

My summons does state that if you have children younger than 12 you MAY be excused; it refers you to the government code to look up on the internet. The exemption clause in the code online states that the child must be younger than 10. :001_huh:

It doesn't really matter if it is really 10 or 12 because my youngest will be 13 next week.

It aggravates me that the summons is so messed up, but then there is a paragraph about how I need to be dressed in clothing reasonably befitting the dignity and solemnity of court proceeding--even down to capri pants aren't allowed.

Also included were these instructions on how to ride the bus to jury duty:

1. Plan your trip.

2. Go to the bus stop. Look for the bus stop sign with your bus route number. Wait for the bus to arrive.

Yeah, this is who I want on my jury. :tongue_smilie:

I served on a jury last year. I was originally called in Feb, but had it delayed until June so school would be out. Since my youngest is 10, it was no problem leaving her home with the teens.

It was interesting. Not anything I want to do any time again soon if I can help it, but it was an educational experience to see how the court process worked.

There's also another side to the question. If the authorities were eventually to try to phase out trial by jury in favor of panels of judges (as is the case in some countries), people who don't like to have to serve on a jury might be the first to complain.

(There is always more than one perspective to look at such matters.)

I got called to jury duty once and FORGOT TO GO! Nothing ever happened. Jury duty is a one day deal here. My son had just been diagnosed, my husband just lst his job, and I flaked on jury duty. A friend whose husband is a cop told me tat, around here, they don't take any action at all unless you ignore it twice. Sheesh. That was 4 years ago.

I got called to jury duty once and FORGOT TO GO! Nothing ever happened. Jury duty is a one day deal here. My son had just been diagnosed, my husband just lst his job, and I flaked on jury duty. A friend whose husband is a cop told me tat, around here, they don't take any action at all unless you ignore it twice. Sheesh. That was 4 years ago.

KFP:

I reckon you were quite a bit embarrassed (and anxious, at first). I guess the outcome would depend a lot on which jurisdiction the forgettee was in.

I showed up for jury selection when I was summoned with all 4 kids in tow, the littlest one was just a baby an still breastfeeding. I used it as a school moment for the kids. There was only 1 case they were selecting a jury for and my name never got called so I didn't have to worry about it. I figured they would tell me never mind as soon as I stood up with all 4 kids lol

I showed up for jury selection when I was summoned with all 4 kids in tow, the littlest one was just a baby an still breastfeeding. I used it as a school moment for the kids. There was only 1 case they were selecting a jury for and my name never got called so I didn't have to worry about it. I figured they would tell me never mind as soon as I stood up with all 4 kids lol

swellmomma:

Well, this, at any rate, is one way of doing it! (whether or not in some jurisdictions they may be small print which discourages people from doing it.)

Interesting ... :)

I have to go in this month. Although the code here says excuses are granted if you are the primary caregiver for those too young to care for themselves, the clerk specifically refused my request, stating that it was my fault I was homeschooling and didn't have them in school during the day =:O

I have heard it wasn't just me; that is their standard response here.

I have served on a jury previously, when I worked full-time and had daycare, and that was fine. I did get a second summons for this time, and when I called to ask about it, the clerk told me he had shifted me over to a different trial because the original date was going to be for a 3-week trial and he didn't want me stuck on that. So, at least there was some humanity.

I have to go in this month. Although the code here says excuses are granted if you are the primary caregiver for those too young to care for themselves, the clerk specifically refused my request, stating that it was my fault I was homeschooling and didn't have them in school during the day =:O

I have heard it wasn't just me; that is their standard response here.

I have served on a jury previously, when I worked full-time and had daycare, and that was fine. I did get a second summons for this time, and when I called to ask about it, the clerk told me he had shifted me over to a different trial because the original date was going to be for a 3-week trial and he didn't want me stuck on that. So, at least there was some humanity.

NittanyJen: Hope it works out for you. The disposition of the official that one deals with does have a lot to do with it, sometimes, I think. It's hard to deny otherwise, I reckon.

That is the impression I got as well. The letter I received specifically stated one couldn't automatically be excused for anything other than things like citizenship status, etc. I was really nervous because I would have had to show up with my kids in tow if they didn't excuse me when I called them. They did though without a problem.

WendyK:

Well, exactly. Some of the good folk who administer the system, are in fact perfectly nice people without any agenda, and are thoroughly reasonable, although maybe not everyone comes into this category; it's hard to legislate against attitude.

I gave my excuse as I was bre@stfeeding so I couldn't leave my children with anyone but would be happy to serve when they were older. They seemed to accept that. I did get a notice several years later and was excited to serve, but in the end they didn't need me.

EvergreenStateSue:

Well, sounds like a good, solid reason to me!

Of course, it also raises the issue of whether courtrooms are b-feeding-friendly, but this is another issue. For some moms, they would almost prefer that they were not ... .

I got called last year and had to go to 1 long meeting - then they put me "on-call" for 3 months!!!! It was the most ridiculous system I think they could have devised, really. I basically found my number on the calendar given each day & if my number was up I had to call after 5pm the day before to see if I needed to go in or not. So, 3 days a week I basically had to tell a sitter "I may or may not call you because I have to be gone, and I have no idea how long I would be gone - anywhere from 2-8+ hours with driving (since I live 45 mins away from the courthouse), and I won't know until dinner time the night before... can you do that for me?" :rolleyes: Fortunately for me, I never actually had to GO in - I just had to spend 3 months checking the schedule and calling ahead to make sure.

I would have been much happier if they had just told me "be there these 3 days, 8 hours each day, and be done with it".

I got called last year and had to go to 1 long meeting - then they put me "on-call" for 3 months!!!! It was the most ridiculous system I think they could have devised, really. I basically found my number on the calendar given each day & if my number was up I had to call after 5pm the day before to see if I needed to go in or not. So, 3 days a week I basically had to tell a sitter "I may or may not call you because I have to be gone, and I have no idea how long I would be gone - anywhere from 2-8+ hours with driving (since I live 45 mins away from the courthouse), and I won't know until dinner time the night before... can you do that for me?" :rolleyes: Fortunately for me, I never actually had to GO in - I just had to spend 3 months checking the schedule and calling ahead to make sure.

I would have been much happier if they had just told me "be there these 3 days, 8 hours each day, and be done with it".

black_midori:

I'm sure lawyers wouldn't decrease their billing hours on the basis of being-hired-but-not-really, in case they merely waited outside the court-room!

I can sympathize.