Menu

Would you use a ham bone that's been in the refrigerator since last Sunday?

My mom gave me the ham bone from Christmas last night. I'd like to cook it with northern beans but I'm afraid it's too old.

She doesn't remember if it was smoked but is leaning toward it not being a smoked ham.

I have one too. I think it's going to go.

The remnants of our Christmas (HoneyBaked) ham is in the fridge, and I'll be using it to make soup tomorrow. According to the HoneyBaked Ham website: "In the refrigerator, the HoneyBaked Ham will stay fresh for 7 to 10 days."

Edited by ereks mom

The likely hood is that you'll be okay. But, it is not just the bacteria that can be harmful. Once the bacteria have multiplied and you cook the product killing the bacteria, the bacteria produce toxins as they are killed. Those toxins will make you as sick (or sicker in some cases). It is bacteria/toxin roulette. :001_huh:

I routinely eat refrigerated meat up to a week after it's been cooked, and I've never gotten sick -- I do this all the time. Recently my mom, who is a stoic German who grew up during and after the war, and doesn't waste a thing, lost a foil-wrapped piece of Christmas goose in her garage -- it must have fallen out of her car as she was unpacking. Um, she ate it after it had been in her garage THREE DAYS! Unrefrigerated, and it got into the low 60s during the day. Now, THAT I would have thrown away, without even thinking about it. Eek! But my mom, she ate it, and didn't even give it a second thought until she told me, and I shrieked at her about it. LOL! She didn't get sick, though. She's 73 and still kickin' strong. And not wasting one bit of food. I'm not kidding, she's picked stuff out of my trash before, that she didn't feel I should throw away. I'm wondering if she has built up immunities...

• 9 years later...

I’ve been using a ham bone to make pork and beans going on to 50 years now. After enjoying a smoked Easter ham, I will make French Canadian pork and beans using the leftovers several days after Easter. I slow bake them for several hours and have never ever been sick.

• 1 year later...

I have a fresh “bone in” half ham cooked and glazed for Christmas that I ordered from a local shop specializing in hams.  It is not smoked. I picked it up on Christmas Eve 2021. It was well wrapped in Reynolds wrap and kept in the refrigerator continuously… Except taking it out for just a few minutes to slice ham… for 2 1/2, maybe three weeks. It continued to taste fresh and good. Then I wrapped it up in more foil and put it in the freezer. I took it out of the freezer and placed it in the refrigerator to thaw eight days ago to make ham and potato leek soup. I did not unwrap it. It was 90° for those few days, I just didn’t get a chance to make the soup. Here I Am eight days later getting ready to throw it out… I was not going to smell it first. Just throw it out. But at the last moment I decided to smell it and see it… just out of curiosity you understand.  Well it is still so pink and still smells so fresh and good and sweet.  I am usually overly cautious… Cannot bear the thought of food poisoning… I know how bad food poisoning is.  But I wrapped it up very quickly and put it back in refrigerator… Just to think about it for a while. I have all the ingredients and the recipe ready to go.  I’m thinking… in the end I will probably toss it. I honestly don’t even understand why we would hesitate to toss!