Menu

Cast Iron Skillet

I was given a cast iron skillet for Christmas. It does not state if it's seasoned or not. It just says to wash with a soft dish cloth and hot, soapy water before using it.

Does this mean that it is seasoned? Do I need to do anything to it to make sure it is?

Thanks, any other tips for cooking on cast iron would be appreciated, too. I've never had one before.

Cast iron is continually seasoned, so it really doesn't matter if it is seasoned or not - season it. The first round we did was with coconut oil (high smoke point) and put it into the oven to bake....now we season and fire up on the stove after each use and it's still like new. I wouldn't use soap.

I treat my cast iron like I borrowed it and it doesn't care. If something bakes on I will put water in it and soak it on a low heat, or sometimes I will even use an SOS pad on them, just enough to get the food off. I scrub them and use soap on them but I don't run them through the dishwasher. If they will come clean with a Chore Boy type plastic scrubby and hot water that's all I use but I will use the big guns if necessary. If it will come clean with a paper towel that is best. I usually put mine up looking perfectly greasy. :)

Use a oil with a high smoke point and no salt, is the most recommended. Peanut oil, lard, crisco, and that's about all I'd season with unless you know a comparable oil. Low oven, like 200, for a long time. Put about an inch of oil in the bottom, swipe it around with a paintbrush whenever you think of it and keep it low for a full evening and then overnight. Mine are pretty much running on bacon grease right now I think and they're fine. Olive oils and the lower smoke point oils will just kick off fumes in your kitchen and give a different taste but if you don't mind those they work just as well.

I use mine for everything except tomato sauces. I think I'm in the minority there but I prefer enamel cast iron for tomato/acid sauces, I don't like the tang the iron gives them. Otherwise I use them for everything from bread to gravy to steamed vegies to pancakes. I have about 15 pieces...

congrats on your new pan!

I've used cast iron skillet/griddles, etc for almost.everything.

About 10 years ago they revamped their products. Up to then they were not seasoned. The consumer had to do that after purchase.

Since then, the newer product line carries seasoned items.

I have both....some of mine are about 30 years old and others newer. I prefer the older/unseasoned ones, but they can't be bought new anymore. I called the company years ago to ask if I could still purchase the old and I believe she told me, "no".

With cast iron, you MUST be sure to make sure it's heated. IOW, if you make scrambled eggs, do NOT pour cold food into a cold skillet. Heat the skillet until it passes the sizzle test (see below). Then add your butter or whatnot, pour in your liquid egg and scramble.

Sizzle test: I heat on low to med for about 5 min. Shake off a few water drops into the skillet to see if it sizzles. If it sizzles, it's ready, if not then it isn't hot enough. HTH!

FWIW: You are NOT to use soap. You are to pour HOT water into it almost immediately upon emptying it. That is a natural way for it to loosen food. The company told me you can use soap once in a blue moon, but if done regularly it does strip the product.

You may use fine-gauge steel wool once in a blue moon for stubborn particles.

Lastly, after cleansing beyond using hot water, you can "re-season" it.

Edited by sheryl

FWIW: You are NOT to use soap. You are to pour HOT water into it almost immediately upon emptying it. That is a natural way for it to loosen food. The company told me you can use soap once in a blue moon, but if done regularly it does strip the product.

I used to be so afraid of soap that I put up with onion-flavored pancakes. :thumbdown: Finally got the courage to try soap on my skillet.....nothing tragic happened ! Now I use soap every time I use the pan ! Nothing tragic happens ! I just dry and re-Crisco the pan and re-heat it....so if it "stripped", no big deal, it never rusts ! And nothing ever sticks to the pan either ! These horrible consequences of washing cast iron are really nothing to be afraid of. It's really really reeeeeaaaaaalllllly okay to wash your cast iron folks ! Just take care of it right after you wash it...don't let the newly washed pan sit around uncoated. Wash it, dry it, coat it, heat it up, then it's fine. This is one I would like to see on Mythbusters.

What is the brand? Pure, cheaper cast iron (like Lodge) can't be scrubbed with soap. Enameled cast iron (Le Creuset, Staub, and some others) can be scrubbed with soap. I keep one well-seasoned Lodge pan around purely for bacon and frittatas, but otherwise, I think the enameled stuff is easier to care for.

What is the brand? Pure, cheaper cast iron (like Lodge) can't be scrubbed with soap. Enameled cast iron (Le Creuset, Staub, and some others) can be scrubbed with soap. I keep one well-seasoned Lodge pan around purely for bacon and frittatas, but otherwise, I think the enameled stuff is easier to care for.

I scrub my Lodge with Dawn !!! It's fine !!!!

In fact, my Lodge dutch oven had such a flavor after DH made chili in it which cooked for several hours and then sat for several more......I scrubbed it with Soft Scrub with Bleach, then rinsed and scrubbed it again with lemonade mix and Dawn ! Then I rinsed, dried, Criscoed and heated it. It's fine !

My only complaint about cast iron has nothing to do with soap, rusting, seasoning etc. My only complaint is that it is porous. Flavors will get into it if they sit for very long. Soap taste can get into it if you leave it soaking with barely diluted soap. Just don't leave the soap sitting. But when you cook something with a strong flavor in cast iron, I do recommend washing that flavor out with soap. If you don't, they can hang around.

Edited by laundrycrisis

I used to be so afraid of soap that I put up with onion-flavored pancakes. :thumbdown: Finally got the courage to try soap on my skillet.....nothing tragic happened ! Now I use soap every time I use the pan ! Nothing tragic happens ! I just dry and re-Crisco the pan and re-heat it....so if it "stripped", no big deal, it never rusts ! And nothing ever sticks to the pan either ! These horrible consequences of washing cast iron are really nothing to be afraid of. It's really really reeeeeaaaaaalllllly okay to wash your cast iron folks ! Just take care of it right after you wash it...don't let the newly washed pan sit around uncoated. Wash it, dry it, coat it, heat it up, then it's fine. This is one I would like to see on Mythbusters.

I agree as well. My mother told me not to use soap and I just couldn't do it. I use soap and very hot water and wash it quickly. I also dry it very, very well.

I have enjoyed fish flavored pancakes before. Yummy! :oh my: If I cook something with strong favors I always clean the pan, put a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of oil in the pan, heat it for about 10 minutes and rewash it. I haven't been able to successfully use soap to get out the strong favors.

Worth it though. Love my cast iron.

I agree as well. My mother told me not to use soap and I just couldn't do it. I use soap and very hot water and wash it quickly. I also dry it very, very well.

I have enjoyed fish flavored pancakes before. Yummy! :oh my: If I cook something with strong favors I always clean the pan, put a 1/4 to 1/2 inch layer of oil in the pan, heat it for about 10 minutes and rewash it. I haven't been able to successfully use soap to get out the strong favors.

Worth it though. Love my cast iron.

I will try that next time ! It was the lemonade mix (citric acid with lemon flavor) that finally got the chili taste out of the dutch oven. DH has since been educated on not cooking a strong flavored and tomato-based food in that pot. Chili is not a good food to cook in cast iron.

i keep hearing this and have to wonder how in the world soap will strip cast iron.

I've been using cast iron (Lodge) for 30 years and have always washed my pans at the end of the day. I think it rather disgusting not to. I don't want to cook fish in one of mine on Friday night then use the same one Saturday morning for eggs without washing it first.

I will try that next time ! It was the lemonade mix (citric acid with lemon flavor) that finally got the chili taste out of the dutch oven. DH has since been educated on not cooking a strong flavored and tomato-based food in that pot. Chili is not a good food to cook in cast iron.

Cooking tomato based, and other acidic, foods in cast iron is the best way to get some extra iron into your food. I always cook spaghetti sauce and chili in cast iron. I do have to season again after acidic foods sometimes, but haven't had a problem with tasting previous meals. Then again, I do have a separate griddle pan, so savory pancakes wouldn't come up, I guess. ;)

OP, you can lightly oil the pan, then leave it in a 200 oven overnight, or all afternoon, etc. Or you can just barely heat it over the stovetop for a few hours. By all means, wash with soap first.

Well, I'm glad all is well with your cast iron. How long have you had it? Maybe it was your grandmother's? Don't know. BUT, sorry to disagree with you, but "over time" (and that's the key) it will start to break down a bit. Granted it does need to be babied after each use and cleaning.

We wash it with plain water, dry it off, put it over a medium flame just to warm it up, then wipe it inside and out with a paper towel with a bit of crisco in it.

We don't use crisco normally for cooking, so I just keep the paper towel in the crisco container for several uses.

I believe any bacteria/germs are killed when you heat the pan up; at least to the point that they'd be killed by soap and water.

And we've never, ever noticed any flavor infused into the pans from one food item to the other. If you take a sniff of our pans, they smell like oil and metal, that's it...

Cast iron is an addiction. We just got the Lodge cast iron wok and it's just fantastic!

Edited by bbkaren

i keep hearing this and have to wonder how in the world soap will strip cast iron.

I've been using cast iron (Lodge) for 30 years and have always washed my pans at the end of the day. I think it rather disgusting not to. I don't want to cook fish in one of mine on Friday night then use the same one Saturday morning for eggs without washing it first.

:iagree: And some of the fats from cooking some kinds of food can turn to a nasty flavor when they get old. I would rather wash those away and have the pan's seasoning be shortening than a mix of different residual cooking oils and fats.

As was stated...the company said "once in a blue moon" soap is ok, but not on a regular basis. I've had some for 30 years and others newer. My aunt's collection was closer to 50 or more years old.

Perhaps there are better soaps out there depending on the ingredients. Some soaps are more harsh than others.

As one of the posters said, you can clean with paper towel, rinse/soak in VERY HOT water, towel dry thoroughly and heat on stove top. That is EXACTLY what we do and have for many years. Only once in a while did we use steel wool OR soap. HTH!

Well, I'm glad all is well with your cast iron. How long have you had it? Maybe it was your grandmother's? Don't know. BUT, sorry to disagree with you, but "over time" (and that's the key) it will start to break down a bit. Granted it does need to be babied after each use and cleaning.

The skillet was rescued from MIL's garage, covered in rust six years ago. I scrubbed it down to bare metal and seasoned it myself. The dutch oven is Lodge, a brand new gift a few years ago. Neither of these are heirloom pans. Neither has suffered any loss of seasoning because I re-do it every time I use them. They are both shiny and black even with regular soap washing.

Here's a thought. I use my cast iron every day. Sometimes 3 or 4 times a day depending on what is going on. And I have more than one skillet. They are my go to pans, my work horses.

I have to wonder if those of us who do not baby our cast iron put it to work more than those who do baby theirs. My skillets get heated, oiled, cooked in washed and then a few hours later the process repeats. And if it isn't repeated in the same pan on the same day, it is at least the very next day.

After my initial seasoning I don't constantly re-season after each use. They just get used. A lot.

My mom is the same way. She has had hers for over 40 years. There has never been an issue with the metal breaking down or warping or chipping or anything negative. They are built to last longer then the humans who own them.

Just don't put it in the dishwasher. Really though the only thing that will happen is the seasoning will be stripped and one will have to start over again with the seasoning.

As was stated...the company said "once in a blue moon" soap is ok, but not on a regular basis. I've had some for 30 years and others newer. My aunt's collection was closer to 50 or more years old.

Perhaps there are better soaps out there depending on the ingredients. Some soaps are more harsh than others.

As one of the posters said, you can clean with paper towel, rinse/soak in VERY HOT water, towel dry thoroughly and heat on stove top. That is EXACTLY what we do and have for many years. Only once in a while did we use steel wool OR soap. HTH!

Not to be argumentative, but what is meant by "stripping" the cast iron? Is it the pan or the seasoning that one should worry about with soap?

The brand is called Grand Gourmet, and it looks like enamel on the outside.

Not to be argumentative, but what is meant by "stripping" the cast iron? Is it the pan or the seasoning that one should worry about with soap?

The theory is that the soap will start to break down the seasoning, which is just a layer of baked on fat, and then the bare metal will start to oxidize (rust), rust flavor will get into the foods, and the foods will start to stick. It is true that if the seasoning gets scratched or scoured off an an area of rust starts, the pan will be terrible to cook in until the rust is removed and the area is re-seasoned. But the pan itself is not damaged. There is a lot of metal there. Losing a tiny bit to rust will not forever ruin the pan. As far a soap breaking down the seasoning - if someone was washing it with soap over and over and not reapplying some sort of oil or grease, yes it would eventually clean off the seasoning. When it is washed with soap, it should be wiped dry and greased, and then heated a little. That's all it takes to undo whatever the soap might have done to the seasoning.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Use flaxseed oil. It is by far and away the best choice. It will give a rock-hard protective patina in no time.

Use any oil very sparingly. The worst thing one can go is to use to much oil as it just gums up the pan.

But flaxseed oil is the vastly superior choice for seasoning cast iron.

Bill

The brand is called Grand Gourmet, and it looks like enamel on the outside.

I believe these have a non-stick coating on the inside and therefore don't require seasoning. However non-stick coatings tend to come off and end up being consumed. The safety (or heath risks) of consuming Teflon, Silverstone, and other non-stick coatings is a matter of concern and controversy.

Personally I prefer good-old raw cast-iron or enameled (inside and out) cast-iron, and would avoid cast-iron with a non-stick surface. Sorry.

Bill

Trying not to hijack, but my dad recently gave me my great grandmother's cast iron frying pans. I have no idea what to use them for. I have always used stainless steel pots and pans. HELP! Feel free to pm me so we don't clutter up the op's thread.

Thanks!

Trying not to hijack, but my dad recently gave me my great grandmother's cast iron frying pans. I have no idea what to use them for. I have always used stainless steel pots and pans. HELP! Feel free to pm me so we don't clutter up the op's thread.

Thanks!

Great for almost everything except water-based cooking.

Bill

I believe these have a non-stick coating on the inside and therefore don't require seasoning. However non-stick coatings tend to come off and end up being consumed. The safety (or heath risks) of consuming Teflon, Silverstone, and other non-stick coatings is a matter of concern and controversy.

Personally I prefer good-old raw cast-iron or enameled (inside and out) cast-iron, and would avoid cast-iron with a non-stick surface. Sorry.

Bill

Would it have to state on the packaging that it has a non-stick surface? This one does not state that anywhere. It just says Cast Iron 11 in. Round Skillet. The enamel is on the outside which seems to be just to give it a nice color.

Would it have to state on the packaging that it has a non-stick surface? This one does not state that anywhere. It just says Cast Iron 11 in. Round Skillet. The enamel is on the outside which seems to be just to give it a nice color.

I would think so. The ones I saw from that brand online were "non-stick" but that is not definitive. I'd call the company and ask if you can't tell.

Bill

Thanks!

I use mine for everything I don't need to put in a pot.

I would think so. The ones I saw from that brand online were "non-stick" but that is not definitive. I'd call the company and ask if you can't tell.

Bill

Thank you, that's a good idea. I definitely don't want a non-stick surface. That's why I asked for cast iron in the first place.

The theory is that the soap will start to break down the seasoning, which is just a layer of baked on fat, and then the bare metal will start to oxidize (rust), rust flavor will get into the foods, and the foods will start to stick. It is true that if the seasoning gets scratched or scoured off an an area of rust starts, the pan will be terrible to cook in until the rust is removed and the area is re-seasoned. But the pan itself is not damaged. There is a lot of metal there. Losing a tiny bit to rust will not forever ruin the pan. As far a soap breaking down the seasoning - if someone was washing it with soap over and over and not reapplying some sort of oil or grease, yes it would eventually clean off the seasoning. When it is washed with soap, it should be wiped dry and greased, and then heated a little. That's all it takes to undo whatever the soap might have done to the seasoning.

Okay, that is what I was starting to think. It just sounded like many people were worried about hurting the iron and I couldn't fathom how the iron would be damaged. I figured it must be the seasoning that everyone is talking about, not the metal itself. :D

Don't you worry about the oil going rancid if you put it on the pan after washing but not using it right away?

so those that season with oil do you just season the inside? if so doesn't the outside get rusty. i had a lodge for a week and it was a pain to clean. and even though i put a bit of oil in the pan the outside was all rusty after a few uses/washes.

now i bought the enamel le crueset but of course it is very expensive and i need an option for a small fry pan

Okay, that is what I was starting to think. It just sounded like many people were worried about hurting the iron and I couldn't fathom how the iron would be damaged. I figured it must be the seasoning that everyone is talking about, not the metal itself. :D

Don't you worry about the oil going rancid if you put it on the pan after washing but not using it right away?

That can happen-I wouldn't oil a pan that I wasn't using often. Better to let them stay dry.

I use multiple cast iron pans everyday. My little side hobby is to find old nasty cast iron pans and rehab them. I have four pieces seasoning in the oven as I type.

I recommend cleaning your well-seasoned cast iron pans with hot water, your fingers and a nylon sponge. After cleaning, dry it off and heat it up on your stove top for about 30 seconds, then wipe it with a thin layer of your oil of choice (I use grape seed oil because it has a high smoke point). After it's totally cooled down, wipe it out again with a clean paper towel and get off any excess oil before you put it away. This will also help ensure that your pans are totally dry and won't rust during storage.

You do need to do this to the outside of the pan until it is well seasoned--that means shiny black--then you only need to do the inside of the pan.

Easy care - love my cast iron...wash in hot water - heat on burner or in hot oven till dry, wipe on a thin layer of oil...pretty much any works but you'll like some better than others - but vegetable oil is fine. No soap (it removes the oil (aka seasoning).

Use for anything without tomatoes in it. The acid in the tomatoes takes off the seasoning. I have a cast iron skillet and frying pans. I use them for pancakes, omelettes, sauteeing vegetables, etc. They get really hot (including the handles), so generally, I would not use heat more than med, maybe med high.

I have heard that the "no soap" thing stems from when soap had lye in it, and would strip the seasoning. I don't know how true that is, but I use soap on mine and it remains seasoned.

:iagree: I use my cast iron constantly; I often let it sit in soapy water, or use a scratchy pad with a bit of soap on it,and it never harms the seasoning, and nothing ever sticks to it (at least more than that bit of soaking will fix). Love that thing!

ETA: I also use it for stuff with tomatoes - that hasn't been a problem either. I've also never oiled it after washing, although I do make sure it is very dry before storing it.

Edited by matroyshka

I wipe them inside and out, but just with a thin film of crisco. Most times, I don't oil the handle...only because that's what I'm holding it with and I don't want it to be greasy. Never had a problem.

Does it not burn (catch fire) when cooking on a gas stovetop if there is crisco on the outside??

Does it not burn (catch fire) when cooking on a gas stovetop if there is crisco on the outside??

No. But one should use super-light coats. It is rarely necessary to use oil on the outside once the pan is seasoned. And flax seed oil is better than Crisco.

Bill

Use flaxseed oil. It is by far and away the best choice. It will give a rock-hard protective patina in no time.

Use any oil very sparingly. The worst thing one can go is to use to much oil as it just gums up the pan.

But flaxseed oil is the vastly superior choice for seasoning cast iron.

Bill

:iagree:This is what I've read as well, although I have yet to try it. Mostly because I'm too lazy to search for refrigerated flaxseed oil (I read that you have to make sure your flaxseed oil isn't rancid (which apparently happens very easily).

Bill- what temp and how long to you bake your cast iron for?