Menu

I just had it- guy with truck with meat-Thanks hive!

Okay, another good use of the hive= for years on here I have been reading about the scam of the guy coming around in a truck selling meat that he just couldn't deliver. In this case, he said he got a rejected delivery in another city about ten or so miles from us. In between that city, which has something like 75,000 and my house in the big city, pop around 190,000, there were many, many houses. I live on a small road with no random traffic since the road doesn't go to any public place.

The guy said he could give me steaks, chicken, shrimp, etc. I said no and he left. But I really am amazed at finally encountering this after so many years on here reading about it.

:lol: We saw the mythical meat man about 2 months ago. He stopped at my friend's house while we were doing co-op! She answered the door, came back, and said, "OMG! That was the Well-Trained Mind Meat Man!" We all ran to the window to look. Sure enough, there was a beat-up, unlabeled pick-up truck with a fridge in the back of it. None of us had ever seen the meat man, and thought either he didn't really exist, or he didn't visit the northeast.

I think the scam is that you will pay higher prices than otherwise for what may be not good meat. I mean, the stores where I buy meat stand by their meat. If we got sick from mystery meat that the truck guy is selling, who do we complain to?

With regards to the Texas story, we are having a cool rainy day today but in a few days we will have 60's. I agree- EEWWW

We've had this happen more than once but we never purchase. It is a scam? Where do they get the meat?

SJ

I don't know that it is exactly a scam. You really get your meat. As long as you are fine with eating unknown meat out of the back of a truck, it could be a good deal! :D

When I worked in a hospital we'd have people come through with coolers of tamales at 4:00 in the morning. If admin caught them, they got in trouble. However, we ate them all the time and were fine. So, sometimes unknown food at least won't kill you! They were good tamales! Of course, you have to be starving after working all night to eat tamales that some shady looking character is selling illegally out of a cooler.

We have a guy who comes to our house from Horizon Foods. We have bought from him in the past but it's pricey.

http://www.horizonfoods.com/

The food is flash-frozen in individual servings, is fairly expensive, though.

But it's delicious, and great quality stuff. He has a special deep-freezer in the back of his pickup truck, and anytime we've bought from him, the food is frozen solid..."stick-to-your-skin" frozen.

We also have a service called "Schwan's" which started out as just ice cream but then expanded into meats and other items.

http://www.schwans.com/

There may be some scams out there, but please be aware that there are legitimate services as well.

Sure, those are legitimate businesses, but they don't show up in unmarked vans, trying to pressure you into buying meat that you didn't actually order. This is much more along the lines of the guys in vans who sell stereo components that 'fell off the back of the truck.'

No, they don't claim that it's "unclaimed goods" of course.

But the Horizon Foods service is a franchise, and each seller is individual. Our guy doesn't have a sign on his truck.

I think in some cases they are casing your house. The best story I've got is when I was out back with my huge German shepherd, who was loose because he never ran away. We came around the corner of the house to discover that a meat truck had pulled into the driveway and two guys had gotten out. My dog saw them and went bounding over and began smelling one guy's feet. I thought that guy was going to have a heart attack!!!

I have ordered from Schwan years ago when I lived in Ohio. I don't have a problem with someone bring me orders. After all, when the doorbell rang, I thought it was either the mailman or UPS or Fedex with one of our orders. So it isn't that I have a thing against home delivery. Hey, when I lived in northern VA, I sometimes had my groceries delivered. But that is way different than some guy showing up unexpectedly on my doorstep with a stupid story. It wasn't a Schan man or Horizons guy saying, Hi, I am starting out a new route or I see you are new in the neighborhood and maybe you would like to know about our service of food delivery. No, it was some guy having a strange story about not delivering some meat order to someone miles away and therefore showing up at my doorstep. Totally strange and nonsensical.

when they come to our town we just call the police. In order to legally sell anything from their truck they need a permit (even the ice cream man needs his permit) EVERY single time we've called they do not have one. (we listen on the scanner for them to be pulled over)

When they come to our house and ask if we want to buy anything, I just ask them if they have a permit. They say yes but leave quickly and I call before they are in their truck again. There is a real YUCK factor to people who drive around with nasty rusted out pickups with beat up look like side of the road picked up fridge strapped in the back of it!!!

We had a girl stop by our house in Texas and she sold us a bunch of steaks from a refrigerated trick. They were very inexpensive, and lasted a year. They tasted great. The only reason we bought them was that my wife happened to know the girl selling them, and I was working in door to door sales at the time, so we felt sympethetic toward her.