Menu

I do NOT recommend....

....scheduling Christmas during a PMS week, particularly when DH is deployed.

I slept in the living room last night so I could see their faces when they woke up this morning. I stressed and stressed over the two youngest having the same number of gifts, about whether or not it was "enough". (they each had 7 and they were not extravagant at all.) My son saw his small stack of gifts and said,"Wow, there are just so many presents for me!" :001_smile: I sat there doing that ugly cry half-sob thing where you try to keep it from coming out full-force.

Then, we went to IHop for dinner. On the way we passed a LOT of houses with lights. My son said,"It is just so beautiful everywhere I look!" Ugly-cry half-sob again. :001_wub:

Our oldest had asked a few weeks ago what I would like for Christmas. I told her that I would LOVE a drawing of my Kitchenaid mixer, but with wheels and me in it driving around. She did that and framed it. :w00t:

DH called just as we arrived at the restaurant. Our son told him about how, "Santa brought me a hat and left me a note that said,"All crooners need an awesome hat. Keep Singing! Love, Santa". (It's a porkpie hat like Frank Sinatra used to wear. Our son is a crooner.)

I told dh that "we have the best kids EVER!"

Then, we were sitting at the restaurant and the song Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) came on and that was just IT!! Full-on ugly cry, complete with sobbing, snot and red face.

Here's the song that brought me to ugly tears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJL3oHMBDw

:grouphug: You are a great mom! This time last year we were about a month away from my dh's homecoming. As we brought presents down last night, I was trying to remember last Christmas without him. I know it was exhausting. I think my Mom helped me decide if the "piles" looked even before I wrapped them. I know he skyped us in the middle of opening gifts.... but I remember very, very little. All that to say that maybe an emotional Christmas is better than one on automatic pilot, LOL? Glad your day was full of blessings and your finish line is in sight!

:grouphug: What a sweet day, really - and you sound like you have awesome, appreciative kids!

Hope DH's homecoming is a "second Christmas"!

Yes. What linders said.

:grouphug:

I also agree that there should be some sort of moratorium on PMS for Christmas :glare:. I have been a wreck for a week. Crying one day and gnashing my teeth the next. I think if I had a deployed husband, I'd, well, I don't know I'd do. Thank you for the sacrifices your family make!

:grouphug: Your kids sound wonderful!

I agree that PMS and Christmas don't mix. For me this year, it meant my OCD reared its ugly head, not debilitating, but enough that I was a bit anxious all day. :glare: Thankfully, dh had the great idea to go for a hike in the afternoon, so we had a lovely hike on the trail to the waterfall, and the fresh air and exercise was really good for me.

Hang in there! And thank you for your sacrifices on our behalf.

Wendi

Edited by Wendi

....scheduling Christmas during a PMS week, particularly when DH is deployed.

I slept in the living room last night so I could see their faces when they woke up this morning. I stressed and stressed over the two youngest having the same number of gifts, about whether or not it was "enough". (they each had 7 and they were not extravagant at all.) My son saw his small stack of gifts and said,"Wow, there are just so many presents for me!" :001_smile: I sat there doing that ugly cry half-sob thing where you try to keep it from coming out full-force.

Then, we went to IHop for dinner. On the way we passed a LOT of houses with lights. My son said,"It is just so beautiful everywhere I look!" Ugly-cry half-sob again. :001_wub:

Our oldest had asked a few weeks ago what I would like for Christmas. I told her that I would LOVE a drawing of my Kitchenaid mixer, but with wheels and me in it driving around. She did that and framed it. :w00t:

DH called just as we arrived at the restaurant. Our son told him about how, "Santa brought me a hat and left me a note that said,"All crooners need an awesome hat. Keep Singing! Love, Santa". (It's a porkpie hat like Frank Sinatra used to wear. Our son is a crooner.)

I told dh that "we have the best kids EVER!"

Then, we were sitting at the restaurant and the song Christmas (Baby, Please Come Home) came on and that was just IT!! Full-on ugly cry, complete with sobbing, snot and red face.

Here's the song that brought me to ugly tears:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAJL3oHMBDw

I know how it can be, Cyndi. Thank you for your service. It is so very difficult, especially at holidays, for families of troops who are overseas. Hang in there.

:grouphug:

Been there.

It's tough.

Sadly - the first Christmas my DH was deployed - my kids worked their hardest to make sure the day was NOT pleasant no matter what we did :(

Dh missed again the next year, we went to CA to be with relatives, and all got the Norwalk virus....

Joy.