Menu

S/O "former" thread...From atheist to religion?

I saw a few posts in the former thread where people went from atheist to a religion.

(not meant in a snarky, or bad way) Why? Did something happen to make you believe? Were you ever really atheist (no belief)? Or agnostic (belief in something for sure, but no religion)?

I truly mean this in very nice way! Picture taking a walk on a beautiful road having a casual conversation. :D

For me the best analogy to my beliefs; Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby. :001_smile:

ETA: I have 1600 posts!

ETA again: I don't mean to potentially stir and run, but I'm going to bed.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis

My sister has just converted to Christianity from apathism because her fiance wanted her to. She's a bit of a chameleon.

Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

For you maybe. Dh has been watching religious debates recently, and some of those atheists are, uh, as enthusiastic as the people they're knocking. Who knew there were different denominations of atheism? ;)

Rosie

I'm still an atheist, but know someone who became a believer as a direct result of ... something. A friend of his drowned in deep ocean. He found the friend's body (a seemly impossible task), because he "heard / felt" where to look. Not sure what to make of the story, but there it is.

Also, about Buddhism...I have close friends who are Buddhist (one side of my husband's family is also). They don't consider Buddhism a religion. One of my friends spent a long time telling me about how it was a "philosophy of life", not a religion. :confused: (No offense to any Buddhists, my friend could've just been a little )

d.

Depends on their form of Buddhism. Ours is definitely religious,with prayers, rituals and certain commitments. Ours also however doesn't accept the existence of a "soul" thus, technically atheist. Well, in fact the existence of gods (many) is not disputed but they don't have power in the sense they do in mono or polytheistic religions - how can they if there's no soul?

My sister has just converted to Christianity from apathism because her fiance wanted her to. She's a bit of a chameleon.

For you maybe. Dh has been watching religious debates recently, and some of those atheists are, uh, as enthusiastic as the people they're knocking. Who knew there were different denominations of atheism? ;)

Rosie

I have recently encountered one like this. Married to a good friend of mine.....he is divorcing her because she won't become an atheist. :001_huh:

You said religion instead of deity.

I think there are many people who do not believe in god or believe whether god exists or not is a mystery - but attend church and belong to a religion.

For some religion is a social and cultural institution as much as it is a faith based one. I also think it is possible to appreciate the ritual and spirituality of church without believing in its god, per se.

I have heard of atheists (albeit moderate atheists) choosing to attend church - usually for the community aspect.

Edited by kathymuggle

I saw a few posts in the former thread where people went from atheist to a religion.

(not meant in a snarky, or bad way) Why? Did something happen to make you believe? Were you ever really atheist (no belief)? Or agnostic (belief in something for sure, but no religion)?

I just finished reading Mere Christianity for the second time. It is by C.S. Lewis. He was an atheist who became a Christian. In the book he tells a lot about how he used to think as an atheist, and then how came to disagree with atheism. Eventually he became convinced that Christianty was true. It is a very interesting, intellectual read. It has become one of my favorite books. That book is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your question.

For me the best analogy to my beliefs; Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

I was a pretty convinced atheist in college, and have seen some for whom it really is their "religion" - complete with trying to convert others and following rules (of their own making) just as strictly as any other religion.

Did something happen to make you believe? Umm, this sounds weird. Suddenly, it was like someone turned on a big light bulb and my feelings on the topic changed.

Something like that here too. I was a philosophy major, so steeped in those questions already, and one day it just really clicked and everything seemed to fit together if only I looked at it from this other perspective. I've had a journey along the way, exploring some different possibilities, but the yes-or-no aspect of God hasn't changed since then.

I was a rather belligerent athiest until my mid-twenties. When I say belligerent, I mean that I tended to think any religious person(but particularly Christians) were ignorant, and I never hesitated to say so...even when I was not invited to share my opinion. (much like some on this forum)

Being "smart" and a bit of an "intellectual", I thought that I had all of the answers etc etc.

A deeper look at some things around me, and some unresolved questions regarding Darwinian evolution and some scientific laws lead to a questioning of my "faith" that faith in somoething else was stupid.

I decided to look at world religions(with an open heart), dropping my preconceived notions about them. I began with the Bible.

An honest study, with both my brain and my heart "on", lead me to believe, whole-heartedly, that the God of the Bible IS the only God, Jesus is the savior of all who will believe(and obey), and that *I* was the ignorant one......intelligent, yes....but oh, so ignorant of things that require both knowledge AND wisdom AND faith. I never understood was true FAITH was until I actually had it!

I will say that my past influences my faith...in a good way, I believe(always look at God's word for answers...not what others say is right).

Through much study, I believe that denominationalism is WRONG in the eyes of God. The way my "Christians" live, worship and even believe is wrong, in the eyes of God. It is not place to judge them, however it is my place to lovingly point it out. They will ultimately be judged according to those things by Jesus.

I really could go on, but there it is.

I have heard of atheists (albeit moderate atheists) choosing to attend church - usually for the community aspect.

I have done this on-and-off throughout my life. I tried so hard to believe! The funny thing is, I was introduced to my (late) husband by a woman in my church group. He was an atheist also- but church group lady didn't know about either of us. She just thought we were a good match. (She was right!)

I get along well with extremely religious people. Seems like my morality lines up better with theirs than with most atheists I've met. And as long as they get to know me before they find out I'm an atheist, they like me too. After they find out, they usually just assume I'll come around to their way of thinking sooner or later.

I just finished reading Mere Christianity for the second time. It is by C.S. Lewis. He was an atheist who became a Christian. In the book he tells a lot about how he used to think as an atheist, and then how came to disagree with atheism. Eventually he became convinced that Christianty was true. It is a very interesting, intellectual read. It has become one of my favorite books. That book is the first thing that popped into my mind when I read your question.

This book is the opposite, and I'd like to read it. It would be interesting to compare the two.

I was a rather belligerent athiest until my mid-twenties. When I say belligerent, I mean that I tended to think any religious person(but particularly Christians) were ignorant, and I never hesitated to say so...even when I was not invited to share my opinion. (much like some on this forum)

Being "smart" and a bit of an "intellectual", I thought that I had all of the answers etc etc.

A deeper look at some things around me, and some unresolved questions regarding Darwinian evolution and some scientific laws lead to a questioning of my "faith" that faith in somoething else was stupid.

I decided to look at world religions(with an open heart), dropping my preconceived notions about them. I began with the Bible.

An honest study, with both my brain and my heart "on", lead me to believe, whole-heartedly, that the God of the Bible IS the only God, Jesus is the savior of all who will believe(and obey), and that *I* was the ignorant one......intelligent, yes....but oh, so ignorant of things that require both knowledge AND wisdom AND faith. I never understood was true FAITH was until I actually had it!

I will say that my past influences my faith...in a good way, I believe(always look at God's word for answers...not what others say is right).

Through much study, I believe that denominationalism is WRONG in the eyes of God. The way my "Christians" live, worship and even believe is wrong, in the eyes of God. It is not place to judge them, however it is my place to lovingly point it out. They will ultimately be judged according to those things by Jesus.

I really could go on, but there it is.

I could have typed this response but since you already did I'll just say :iagree:. The only difference is I wasn't really seeking anything. I was perfectly content but a lot of business associates and friends were Christians and I began to listen a little more. For me there was no aha moment. It was more of a slow transition in my thinking and beginning to understand I wasn't quite as full of answers as I thought I was. I will say for me it was definately a head and heart thing. I don't find faith and belief in God to be illogical.

I was an atheist because I didn't have the right God or religion. I'll try to explain.. I was raised Methodist, and the religion and the God we worshiped wasn't something I could believe in or trust. I stopped going and decided there wasn't a God altogether. Then about 7 years ago I met my husband who had a religion I knew little about. Finally I felt like this was the God we were meant to believe in. If I had't found the religion, I would still be an atheist, I'm sure.

I would have taken on a religion if I was in love w/someone to whom that was important. As long as it could be more as a community to me than anything else.

I have told my daughters the same thing. (Limiting one's search for a spouse to atheists is rather limiting.) I have also told them they don't get to try to "save" me if they become religious themselves.

For me the best analogy to my beliefs; Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby. :001_smile:

I guess it depends whether they're the not-stamp-collectors who say "Nah, not for me", or the type who run around attempting to destroy other people's collections, stealing the stamps off letters in their mailbox, and passing laws to outlaw stamp collecting :)

I consider atheists who think that the existence of a god, soul, or anything supernatural is IMPOSSIBLE to be religious atheists. Those who simply think it's improbable, and wiser to live as if it wasn't true, are areligious atheists.

(Personally? I was raised Presbyterian and spent some time at the LDS church, but have been basically agnostic for as long as I can remember.)

Edited by ocelotmom

I don't think all outspoken atheists are trying to destroy other people's collections.

I don't think so, either. I was just attempting to illustrate that it's less black and white than collector or non-collector by expanding on the analogy.

There are also stamp collectors who keep a few albums primarily to hand down to their kids, and stamp collectors with rooms and rooms full of every stamp they've ever come across who think it should be a crime for anyone to throw away any stamp for any reason.

(The extremes on both sides are hyperbole)

And I don't get the second statement. There aren't degrees of atheism IMO. Then again I kind of have grown to dislike the term because of what you are saying here. I am not in any sort of group as an atheist. I'm not religious. I don't pray, believe in a deity, etc. Call that whatever you want, it's not a religion.

I'm coming at the question knowing atheists who have a very very strong belief that their views on religion are the absolute, objective truth and that gods and a spiritual dimension are utterly, 100%, impossible. I consider this to be a religious view, since you can't prove a negative.

However, I'm not trying to claim that these people represent a majority of atheists. Most atheists I know are rather more reasonable in their lack-of-belief and expression thereof.

I'd consider you to fall into the second group - areligious atheists.

(Personally, I'm an agnostic secular humanist leaning towards belief in some sort of soul/afterlife but not particularly interested in the specifics and willing to acknowledge that this may just be a coping mechanism)

Mere Christianity is on my Christmas wishlist. I'm looking forward to reading it. :001_smile:

I was raised atheist (my dad was raised Jewish, mom was Episcopalian, but they both lost their faith as teens). They weren't/aren't militant about it, and they are both generous, loving people -- definitely people who live by the Golden Rule. I was "put off" Christianity by some experiences as a young teen, but I had a nagging sense of "something missing."

My mom says that even when I was very young she saw signs in me of a religious tendency (she has always been very accepting of the choices her children make). At twenty-one (in graduate school), I started to feel more strongly than every that there was Something More. When I read "Mere Christianity," by C.S. Lewis it just clicked for me. I talked with a priest at the Episcopal church, got baptized and confirmed, and have been a happy Episcopalian ever since!

I can't say that I never have doubts, but in the end my underlying sense of God's presence and love wins out.