Menu

Which accessories are must-haves for iPad2?

LMA

I love my stylus and lost an expensive one before ordering this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WB7IAS/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

I only paid $6 or $7 but it seems to have gone up to $11.

Other than a stylus, the only thing you need is the case which is a preference issue. Just make sure you get one designed for the ipad2 so there's a hole for the camera.

Other than a stylus, the only thing you need is the case which is a preference issue.
Girl if that isn't the truth! DS13 got an Apple Smart Cover for his iPad 2 and loves it. I cannot stand the thing! :confused:

Also for an iPad 2, since it is so expensive, you will want to get a screen protector and something to protect the back if you get something like the Smart Cover that does not protect anything. Here is what DS13 got: Zagg Invisible Shield for iPad 2 Maximum Coverage. I, OTOH, prefer a case which covers all the corners of the device and makes it easier to hold.

Girl if that isn't the truth! DS13 got an Apple Smart Cover for his iPad 2 and loves it. I cannot stand the thing! :confused:

Also for an iPad 2, since it is so expensive, you will want to get a screen protector and something to protect the back if you get something like the Smart Cover that does not protect anything. Here is what DS13 got: Zagg Invisible Shield for iPad 2 Maximum Coverage. I, OTOH, prefer a case which covers all the corners of the device and makes it easier to hold.

I agree about the cover. I have the Bear Motion, but it doesn't cover the four corners, so almost every night for the last 3 weeks, I've been reading reviews on covers and still can't decide. It's really hard to look for a cover that covers the corners, has a notch for the iPad to be propped up, can allow me to hold up the iPad to take videos without having me also hold the other side of the cover, can protect the iPad if DD or I drop the iPad, and I'm sure there is something else that I want it to do. I was slightly tempted by the "cover" that is actually 4 separate balls attached to the corners and connected to each other by cords, so that the iPad bounces if dropped.

I have the same stylus as the one acurtis recommends and it works well.

I have a switcheasy canvas. http://www.switcheasy.com/product.php?product=CANVAS_iPad2 I got the red one. :) it supports the auto off/on feature and covers the sides. I really like it. You'll sometimes see bad reviews because it's such a tight fight that the cover can be a bear to close sometimes. My first cover was like this. I had to pull on it to close it. I emailed them and they sent me a new cover free of charge and I didn't have to send the old one back.

I have a switcheasy canvas. http://www.switcheasy.com/product.php?product=CANVAS_iPad2 I got the red one. :) it supports the auto off/on feature and covers the sides. I really like it. You'll sometimes see bad reviews because it's such a tight fight that the cover can be a bear to close sometimes. My first cover was like this. I had to pull on it to close it. I emailed them and they sent me a new cover free of charge and I didn't have to send the old one back.

I've looked at this before, but do you still have to open the front cover, like a magazine, to take videos? I was hoping for a cover that also had a camera hole on the other cover so that I could flip the cover all the way back.

These are great suggestions.

Does the screen protector get in the way of the way you touch the screen?

Does the stylus connect to the iPad?

Can you have Word on the iPad? I was thinking the keyboard would be useful for the word processor if software can be installed on the iPad.

Can you tell I'm new to this??

Thanks for your help.

Louise

I agree about the cover. I have the Bear Motion, but it doesn't cover the four corners, so almost every night for the last 3 weeks, I've been reading reviews on covers and still can't decide. It's really hard to look for a cover that covers the corners, has a notch for the iPad to be propped up, can allow me to hold up the iPad to take videos without having me also hold the other side of the cover, can protect the iPad if DD or I drop the iPad, and I'm sure there is something else that I want it to do. I was slightly tempted by the "cover" that is actually 4 separate balls attached to the corners and connected to each other by cords, so that the iPad bounces if dropped.

I have the same stylus as the one acurtis recommends and it works well.

I am glad I'm not the only one unable to make a decision about what case to buy. I can't even tell you how many I've looked at in person or online but I can't seem to decide. I have 5 days left because I need to give the ill-fitting iPad 1 cover to dd Sunday.

I am glad I'm not the only one unable to make a decision about what case to buy. I can't even tell you how many I've looked at in person or online but I can't seem to decide. I have 5 days left because I need to give the ill-fitting iPad 1 cover to dd Sunday.

There are too many out there. I was reading this article about the top drop-proof iPad 2 covers. When you decide, please let us know. DH thinks that walking around with 4 balls attached to the iPad would be too noticeable and silly, which is something I would like to avoid as well, but a bouncing iPad is tempting.

What do you guys use the stylus for? Wondering if this is something my husband would find useful.

I use mine with the UYH (Use Your Handwriting) and Notability apps and sometimes just to do regular browsing and typing rather than using my finger. I'm left-handed and occasionally have issues with the touchscreen getting confused when my hand touches the screen. I have to adjust my writing for that, so it's not exactly like writing with a real pen.

I was in the paralysis of analysis when my husband told me to just go to Walmart and get a cover that looked usable, then use it for a while and buy another case later if there were features I wanted but didn't have in my "temporary" case. I'm still happy with it even though it was relatively inexpensive (none of the iPad cases are cheap) and not one of the models I had been trying to decide between.

I was in the paralysis of analysis when my husband told me to just go to Walmart and get a cover that looked usable, then use it for a while and buy another case later if there were features I wanted but didn't have in my "temporary" case. I'm still happy with it even though it was relatively inexpensive (none of the iPad cases are cheap) and not one of the models I had been trying to decide between.

That's what I did the first day I had my ipad2. Unfortunately I didn't know what I was doing and bought an ipad 1 case so the device doesn't fit snuggly. I knew I was going to buy the reburbished ipad for dd and dh for Christmas so I figured I'd just keep it until then. I'm going to check the link provided by crazyforlatin but if I don't find something I love soon I'll be going back to Walmart.

... Is your hand allowed to contact the touch surface of ipad in any way when using stylus? I want a stylus but think the screen gets confused by the hand vs. stylus tip. Then the hand winds up in a unnatural "calligraphy" stance.

I don't find this to be as much of an issue in Notability because I use the zoom writing tool at the bottom of the screen. This means my hand touches the edge of the ipad or the case instead of the screen and feels more natural.

The rear camera isn't covered on the switcheasy but honestly, it's such a sorry camera I never use it. It's less than 1mp. My first digital camera was more than that.

The video camera is a lot better than the still camera. I read an article that said the developers did that intentionally because most people have good cameras on their smart phones.

Definitely want a leather cover and a screen protector (the screen is often the most damaged and least warrantied). The screen protector won't be noticeable and doesn't interfere with touching the screen. A stylus is nice, and ear buds (or headphones) are a good idea.

I took off my screen protector. It drove me crazy!

Definitely want a leather cover and a screen protector (the screen is often the most damaged and least warrantied). The screen protector won't be noticeable and doesn't interfere with touching the screen. A stylus is nice, and ear buds (or headphones) are a good idea.

The most damaged meaning scratched or cracked? I'm very worried that while using the iPad we drop our mugs on it :eek:. I can't help but use it while drinking coffee or tea. A screen protector can't prevent cracks.

It's mostly to prevent scratches. A crack may happen no matter what as that is a result of pressure. Pressure can still happen with a screen protector. A leather case/cover will help provide some cushion, if closed of course, against impact.

Screen protectors vary in quality and design. If you purchase on Amazon, I would go by the reviews.

I just checked Amazon, and the screen protector that I use, which I like a lot as I can't tell it is there, is no longer available. :(

Here is my case: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZUIHY8/ref=oh_o05_s00_i01_details

It isn't the most expensive but it has held up well. I really love my Kindle DX case and wanted something similar to that but this was the closest.

I ordered an Otterbox from Amazon. It came the next day!

It is a hybrid version http://www.amazon.ca/OtterBox-Defender-Hybrid-Case-APL2-IPAD2-D9-E4OTR/dp/B004V9F61O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324768606&sr=8-1

I like that the back, can become the front with being transported, so it has more protection. It's hardy.

It didn't come with a screen protector, I picked up a Zagg. It will protect from scratches.

I can't wait to see her face int he morning!

I have the Smart Cover too. I purchased it when I bought my iPad2 on release day. I have since stopped using it since it has no protection. I now have this one. http://ifrogz.com/product/IPAD2-SUM

It is amazing! I got lucky and got it 50% off on Black Friday though. I will say it is worth every penny of the $60. Apparently everyone else thinks so too because they can't seem to keep them in stock.

My new iPad is covered in a griffin survivor case. It is entirely covered, screen and all. There are little flap,things to remove for access to the different side buttons and camera. DH already had it in the case when he gave it to me, and he said it was a bit of a challenge to do. It's a hard case covered by rubber, the screen is covered, and it has a pop out stand. Very handy, and a necessity in this house!

I have an otter box. I've had one on my iPhone for two years and it's been dropped numerous times, taken camping, thrown into damp places...and the phone still looks brand new. So I decided to get one for my iPad. It is bulkier than most cases but it covers the corners. Plus the stand is also a hard cover for the screen when I have it in a bag. I hate that it doesn't have an integrated screen cover like the iPhone case but I just added a clear screen protector.

How well do those screen protectors fit? I tried one with the Kindle and I returned it.

In what kind of carrying case do you put your iPad? I'm talking about a zippered case for taking out. I'm looking for something I can slip into a tote bag.