Menu

Stress induced anxiety - what to do?

It hasn't been the happiest two years for a lot of reasons. I thought it was my thyroid but when my symptoms didn't clear up and in fact got worse, I went to the doc again.

Should I take a vacation? The biggest source of worry/ anxiety is the homeschool. I have such a difficult child that .... I can't explain it but there it is. I have reached the point that my body is in freak out mode - hair free fall. I am losing my eyelashes even. So anyway I have been instructed to start a regimen of Sam- e and Somnulin (or something).

I am not sure how one copes with stress or anxiety. I eat halfway decently. Trust me, I have the exercise thing covered :D. Can't stop homeschooling because stuff needs doing. Because of my son, we are woefully behind. So what to do?

:bigear:

:grouphug: I would consider taking a break from homeschooling since it is the holidays. Vacation sounds great too (do you mean by yourself becasue that would be even better?). Are there things you have stopped doing that you enjoy that you could begin doing again? For me, time alone is what helps with all the craziness. I also realized that I had stopped reading for enjoyment, as well as just browsing in antique stores or thirft stores.

:grouphug: I would consider taking a break from homeschooling since it is the holidays. Vacation sounds great too (do you mean by yourself becasue that would be even better?). Are there things you have stopped doing that you enjoy that you could begin doing again? For me, time alone is what helps with all the craziness. I also realized that I had stopped reading for enjoyment, as well as just browsing in antique stores or thirft stores.

I have become too impatient to read but I think that is the anxiety. I will start and then huff and puff about the tasks I ought to be doing.

I have similar problems. I get anxious and depressed because I am very hard on myself. One therapist said, "Flake on something. And then come tell me about it." And he had me do that every week. I had to deliberately flake out on something; not get something done and learn to be ok with it. Obviously not the really big important things, but it's usually the little things that get a strangle-hold on me anyhow.

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out thyroid unless you're absolutely sure your dr knows what he/she's talking about with it. My dr was telling me for years that mine was fine, well within normal range. Well they've changed what the normal range is!!! I found a dr who was truly knowledgeable (not an endocrinologist) and haven't felt this good in years! Stress can do so much damage to the adrenals and then they can't feed the rest of the system but there aren't a whole lot of drs who are knowledgeable about this. After I'd had some testing done, my regular dr STILL told me he didn't believe in adrenal burnout. I don't see him anymore.

I have Hashimoto's and my Dr. says stress can make symptoms worse so she tells me to control my stress through breathing. She bases this off of Dr. Andrew Weil. I haven't read his books yet, but I want to.

I try to do some yoga, but with my kids bouncing all around me and climbing on me, it's hard to actually relax. I'd love it if I could afford to take yoga classes. My Dr. really encourages yoga. Perhaps I should make it a necessary part of our budget.

My source of anxiety is not in everyday concerns. I become anxious thinking of all the "what ifs" of a tragic nature such as what of dh dies or becomes terminally ill? What if one or more of my kids do? You know, the really scary depressing stuff. Ugh.

Exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise. That's one for every day of the week. :D It will help you more than anything, period. Read Spark if you want to know how and why exercise is the cure for everything. If you're already exercising, here are some other things that help me with my stress-induced anxiety.

Good vitamins.

Drink constantly. Always have water with you. Also, I have a drink I treat myself to when I'm in a funk or under stress--club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime. It makes me happy to drink a "fancy" drink that's good for me.

Yoga - Candlelight Yoga in particular was restorative. Last I looked, it was on Netlix instant.

Meditation

Bubble baths, sometimes in the dark, sometimes with a glass of wine, sometimes with a mindless book...whatever helps you relax.

Quiet time for the kids in the afternoon. Put on a movie if you must.

My last option would be to take a break from HS. If you can't take a full break, do the bare minimum for a few weeks to rework a schedule, including as much as possible of what your kids respond best to. Use the time to reconnect with your difficult child in his/her love language. Trying to figure out who my children were separate from my expectations has been the most helpful thing to me as a mother and homeschooler.

:grouphug:

ETA: LOL about the exercise recommendation. I forgot you were the Beach Body poster. Disregard...but keep up the good work! :thumbup: I'll let the recommendation stand for anyone else who might be reading this thread. :D

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

I wouldn't be too quick to rule out thyroid unless you're absolutely sure your dr knows what he/she's talking about with it. My dr was telling me for years that mine was fine, well within normal range. Well they've changed what the normal range is!!! I found a dr who was truly knowledgeable (not an endocrinologist) and haven't felt this good in years! Stress can do so much damage to the adrenals and then they can't feed the rest of the system but there aren't a whole lot of drs who are knowledgeable about this. After I'd had some testing done, my regular dr STILL told me he didn't believe in adrenal burnout. I don't see him anymore.

Interesting, tell me more. My Dr. has suggested I have "adrenal support treatment" done.

Interesting, tell me more. My Dr. has suggested I have "adrenal support treatment" done.

My adrenals were so bad that I'm taking very small doses of bioidentical hydrocortisone for them. I take about 15mgs a day. If you're not in too bad shape, you could use B vitamins and vitamin C. There's a book called Adrenal Fatigue (can't remember the author) that has some really good info about burned out adrenals.

Exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise, exercise. That's one for every day of the week. :D It will help you more than anything, period. Read Spark if you want to know how and why exercise is the cure for everything. If you're already exercising, here are some other things that help me with my stress-induced anxiety.

Good vitamins.

Drink constantly. Always have water with you. Also, I have a drink I treat myself to when I'm in a funk or under stress--club soda with a splash of cranberry juice and a squeeze of lime. It makes me happy to drink a "fancy" drink that's good for me.

Yoga - Candlelight Yoga in particular was restorative. Last I looked, it was on Netlix instant.

Meditation

Bubble baths, sometimes in the dark, sometimes with a glass of wine, sometimes with a mindless book...whatever helps you relax.

Quiet time for the kids in the afternoon. Put on a movie if you must.

My last option would be to take a break from HS. If you can't take a full break, do the bare minimum for a few weeks to rework a schedule, including as much as possible of what your kids respond best to. Use the time to reconnect with your difficult child in his/her love language. Trying to figure out who my children were separate from my expectations has been the most helpful thing to me as a mother and homeschooler.

ETA: LOL about the exercise recommendation. I forgot you were the Beach Body poster. Disregard...but keep up the good work! :thumbup: I'll let the recommendation stand for anyone else who might be reading this thread. :D

LOL I started reading your recommendations and just knew you didn't remember that she is the exercise queen!!!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: LG. I really wish I could help. I go through periods like this. It's just so hard. Nothing really helps, yet. :grouphug: I pray you can find something that works for you.

:grouphug: I have no help to offer, because I'm in a similar boat. I'm just peeking at the tips you receive. I was just telling my husband tonight that I feel like I need to learn how to meditate and *breathe*.

Well, I guess I did find one activity that restores me. Geocaching. I get outside, get the sun on my face, and fresh air in my lungs. I have trouble just taking a walk because then my mind starts racing over all of my stressors. Geocaching gives me purpose for my walk and makes me think about the treasure hunt, not my stressors.

I have similar problems. I get anxious and depressed because I am very hard on myself. One therapist said, "Flake on something. And then come tell me about it." And he had me do that every week. I had to deliberately flake out on something; not get something done and learn to be ok with it. Obviously not the really big important things, but it's usually the little things that get a strangle-hold on me anyhow.

One of my BJJ coaches told me, "You know you are an @sshole to yourself, right?" I told my husband that and he said, "I told you." Yes, little things bother me.

I had the radiation treatment for thyroid disease so it is constantly monitored. Adrenal burnout sounds interesting.

I have Hashimoto's and my Dr. says stress can make symptoms worse so she tells me to control my stress through breathing. She bases this off of Dr. Andrew Weil. I haven't read his books yet, but I want to.

I try to do some yoga, but with my kids bouncing all around me and climbing on me, it's hard to actually relax. I'd love it if I could afford to take yoga classes. My Dr. really encourages yoga. Perhaps I should make it a necessary part of our budget.

My source of anxiety is not in everyday concerns. I become anxious thinking of all the "what ifs" of a tragic nature such as what of dh dies or becomes terminally ill? What if one or more of my kids do? You know, the really scary depressing stuff. Ugh.

I toss and turn over the big ticket items, too.

Right now, they want me to focus on Serotonin levels and get some sleep first. I also asked about ADD.

I've heard of eye lashes falling out as an auto-immune thing. My friend with Celiac had this happen. If you've had thyroid problems, you may have a tendency toward auto-immune issues.

I hate to keep bringing up the gluten thing, but have you ever looked into that? I'm don't have celiac but when my doctor thought it was a possibility, I read a lot about it, maybe too much, so I see the signs everywhere.;)

I'm a big fan of high EPA fish oil and B complex for stess induced anxiety and depression. A rheumatologist recommended the omega 3's to my dd, who has genetic factors that put her at high risk for auto-immune diseases.

• 3 months later...

Stress can really wack you up!!

One of my parents just passed away after a long battle and there was so much stress involved.

I get this wierd thing in my left peripheral nerves - but it's not really numbness because I can still feel and do things. The Dr. says it is stressed cuze all my tests came back normal - EKG, CT/brain, bloodwork, etc. I eat nearly Paleo so I know my diet it good.

Stress can really make your body to wierd things - especially when you are under the stress, acutely, for a long period of time.

The other thing is that my symptoms decrease as my stress disapates. :)

Here is what I did ....

1. I restarted my progesterone cream because it is supposed to help with sleep but I mainly did it because it really reduces my PMS discomfort.

2. Took some kind adrenal fatigue supplement.

3. Took some sleep revitalizing supplement.

4. Ate more regularly.

5. Got Rogaine.

6. Take melatonin again.

7. Reduced my caffeine intake.

8. Got our school room organized so we weren't a totally chaotic mess.

So I am not sure what is working but I am feeling better. Hair is still a problem though not as bad. I don't know whether it is the Rogaine or the progesterone but I think it is the progesterone.

Sounds like this is working for you! I am pleased to hear that. I know stress is bad. I am prone to anxiety attacks and recently found out that I have started having another type... different from what I used to have.

Fortunately, although homeschooling is stressful for me, it is not THE stress. I just want to do it ALL and I go between, we are doing too much to we are not doing enough. I believe that is because we are often doing one or the other, not nice and even keel. UGH!

Again, glad you have found some ideas that work for you.

I've been out-if-sync since October: exhausted, full of anxiety, very impatient, mental fogginess. I posted about adrenal fatigue here about a month ago and made some big changes. (I think you even posted some supplements on the thread -thank you!] I'm feeling so much better in such a brief period of time!!

1. I cut out gluten, caffeine, and sugar from my diet. Today I cheated and had a piece of banana bread. Yikes! I immediately turned into a stressed out, wild woman.

2. I started taking a good multi-vitamin and vitamin D supplement.

3. I started taking 5-HTP. I started at 100 mgs, but cut it down to 50 mgs. The larger dose made me nauseous. The smaller dose helps me sleep better at night while waking me up during the day.

4. I focus on staying hydrated.

5. I am working on letting go of perfectionism.

6. I take a few hours off -away from everyone- every week.

Make lists. Whenever something is eating at you, write it down and leave it there. Then your brain won't struggle so hard to bring it to your attention over and over.

If you wake up worried in the night, pray. Thank God that He has given you this opportunity to have a quiet time to pray, and pray for everyone and everything you can think of.

Consciously put your mind onto something pleasant if your thought are straying toward disasters. This takes practice, but it can be done.

Plan. If there is something that you can mitigate the risk of by doing some planning, do it. For instance, if you're afraid of tornadoes, stock your basement with water and canned goods and have a tornado drill. Or whatever. It doesn't take away the problem, but it reduces its intensity.

I dance. I have A LOT of rehearsals and performances to juggle this time of year, but it gives me a creative outlet, a group of caring women, and great exercise. It's cheaper than therapy. I spend my days raising and schooling a disabled child. My homeschooled-since-preschool teen JUST won her multi-year campaign and entered high school. A tree crushed my house. We got audited. Our health insurance approved my son's new wheelchair but NOT the wheels. AND this doesn't come close to being the most stressful year we've had. The dancing kept me sane(ish) even when I was losing hair a few years ago.

My husband copes through martial arts, formal zen studies, and meditation. We pray a lot, but for both of us, a physical outlet is important. Also, we both need a form of exercise that we can feel passionate about . . .something where the exercise is a side benefit, but not the main goal. Hitting the gym just doesn't have the same results (for us).

Natural approaches are great, but if they aren't helping you should see your doctor. Sometimes stress becomes such a habit that you forget how to not be stressed out, and taking anti-anxiety meds, even just for a short period of time, can help you calm down long enough to get things under control and get your zen back. I know they're supposedly so bad for you, but that much stress for that long is worse, imo.

Natural approaches are great, but if they aren't helping you should see your doctor. Sometimes stress becomes such a habit that you forget how to not be stressed out, and taking anti-anxiety meds, even just for a short period of time, can help you calm down long enough to get things under control and get your zen back. I know they're supposedly so bad for you, but that much stress for that long is worse, imo.

:iagree:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry.

If you can take a vacation, do so by all means. Vacations always help. They don't take the problem/s away, but they can help a lot.

You're doing so much - exercise, eating right, etc.

You will see that things will get easier. It just takes time and patience. :grouphug:

Everyone's given great advice.

Some other suggestions.

If you ever want to consider therapy, I've heard time and time again that

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is the way to to. It teaches one to switch to healthier thought patterns. Not saying you need therapy, just saying that if you are considering it.

Control your breathing. When you feel yourself beginning to stress, focus on making each breath slow and deep.

Put your hand on your belly, and as you inhale, focus on your belly rising; as you exhale, feel it relax and fall.

Say to yourself: “I can make it through this†and try not to let yourself get caught up in negative thought patterns.

The Bach Flower Remedies represent a form of psychotherapy in a bottle, a noninvasive modality to address negative emotional states like:

• Anxiety

• Depression

• Impatience

Bach Rescue Remedy is, in fact, used in many emergency rooms to help alleviate trauma.

AAAAC3J6c5YAAAAAAXofYg.jpg?v=1313696662000

A Welsh homeopath, Dr. Edward Bach recognized in the 1920s that, if herbs have healing powers, so must flowers. Over many years, he experimented with numerous flowers and trees to create a total of 38 plant-based Bach Flower Remedies.

Centuary is useful for boundary issues, especially for people who give too much of themselves

Impatiens is good for irritability and short tempers.

Oak is for those determined types who struggle on (despite setbacks) through adversity or illness.

Rock water can ease tension for those who tend to be hard on themselves.

Amazon and vitacost reviews are often helpful. Bach stuff are used throughout Europe and sold in so many places. I've only seen them in some health food stores in the U.S. I've never tried them, but would like to get some next time we visit the U.S.

Another vote for meditation. It takes practice and discipline, just like your physical exercises, and if done as diligently can have the same amazing results on your mind that your physical exercises have on your body. Honestly.

Cassy

I would have quoted to everyone and responded individually but that would make for an exceedingly long post.

- Thank you all for your encouragement and commiseration.

- I took so many steps, I am not sure which ones did the trick. I was in panic,I just started everything at once.

- What has helped the most is that my dh got some extra money and we did up our school room. I mentioned it before but having a TIDY, designated area where EVERYBODY and EVERYTHING has a special spot has taken a lot of the school worries away. I don't toss and turn worrying about our school anymore.

- My son's medication is ruinously expensive but we are coping with it.

- We had to stop all activities which was dispiriting but are now slowly adding them back at a much lower cost.

- Hormones are a funny thing. I started taking the ladies rogaine, which I learned after is not that good. Supposedly it can take up to four months to work. So I was using it without much result. At the end of the third month I happened to have restarted my progesterone cream. Almost immediately the hair loss decreased. So I don't know if the rogaine finally kicked in or it was the progesterone.

- On the topic of meditation, errr, I am not good at that although when my family does the Liturgy of the Hours, even partially, things feel better. Within a couple weeks, I will start a Tai Cheng (BB's Tai Chi program) to balance out my heavy duty activities.

- Eating right? I won't go that far! :tongue_smilie: We aren't a drive through family but we do have convenience foods in our house. I would say we are 50/50 - convenience foods, yes, outright JUNK, not a lot.