Menu

Advise on girl facial hair

I had mine thinned out with electrolysis and it worked wonderfully...and it was permanent! It can leave some scarring if you have sensitive skin, so you have to be careful. I'd start with bleaching for a preteen and go from there. Tell her I feel for her...it was awful as a teen to have rude kids mention tht they could see it! Italian heritage=darker coloring and all that!

:grouphug:

I'd go for waxing. Bleaching leaves the hair there, so in the right light, or up close, it's still visible.

Waxing completely removes it. It's a painful second or two, but oh so worth it to have that hair removed. Oh, the price we females have to pay for beauty, lol

I would go to a salon the first time (probably $15 or so), just so you can watch, make it a day of beauty for the two of you. Then you can buy at home kits for around $5. The kits are super easy, and no mess these days. They have the wax on strips, so you just warm it by rubbing it in your hands, apply to your face like a sticker/bandaid, and pull.

DD feels better because I tell her the same trait that gives her the mustache also gives her the beautiful long dark eyelashes! (Mine are invisible :-(

oh I love that!! I have adopted twin girls that are Zuni Indian with lashes so long they get stuck on their glasses...and soft mustaches too...so I will use this as they get older and we decide our options...

I'm light haired and skinned, green eyes as well.... and I've got a furry face :)

I've tried a few things, but I've always been afraid of how it will grow back.

For those who wax - as it grows back - does it look like stubble, or is it softer? Anyone use the depilitory cream? How does that grown back?

I'd love to not have to pluck - hair by hair - with tweezers.

Currently, I pluck the thicker, darker ones, and the lighter ones I kinda trim with nail scissors. Sick of doing it!

I had this problem when I was her age (well, still do). We bleached mine, I was extremely self conscious and the teasing was horrible. I'd also recommend a prescription called Vaniqua. Just a tiny bit every day inhibits hair growth. When using it I only have to bleach etc. every 4-6 weeks. It was expensive when I got it, but the tube last forever and is beyond worth it to me.

She has a few options (all of which I have used at various poinst in my life):

1. Wax - she can do this at home or in a salon. Pro's: It gets rid of the hair Con's: It hurts and you have to tweeze the individual hairs left over

2. Bleach - she can do this at home. Pro's: Makes hair invisible Con's: Hair is still there, just blond, and it smells to bleach it

3. Shave - she can do this at home in the shower once every week or two. Pro's: Gets rid of the hair quickly and painlessly Con's: You have to redo it all the time

(Note: Shaving will NOT make the hair darker or thicker - I have been shaving off my facial hair for years now and it's still fairly thin and medium in tone, not dark or thick by any means)

I have very fair skin...dark hair and green eyes. My mom and I always called our facial hair the " family curse". And promised each other never to let the other one go hairy in the hospital...even if we were unconscious. I kept my end of the bargain:D. Now I have that agreement with my dd...lol.

Anyway, I finally just gave in and shave it off every evening...and sometimes again in the morning. I think of it as a facial peel....lol. No dead skin on me. It was thick and yucky on my chin...and I joke that I have a better beard than my teen son....but I would never let them see it!!

I think PCOS and bad genetics really played a role in my hair issues....:glare:

I just can't see walking around like the bearded circus lady:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

I've tried a few things, but I've always been afraid of how it will grow back.

For those who wax - as it grows back - does it look like stubble, or is it softer?

Neither really. It's not like stubble, which pops out over night and is coarse. It grows back like most hair....steadily but surely....I haven't noticed a texture change though....been waxing eyebrows for many years, and upper lip hairs for some years. It's been that same texture..so I guess it depends on what you start with.

As soon as she is the minimum age for electrolysis in your state, I would give her that option. I struggled with mine for years, tried every method there is to deal with it, and always had a lot of skin irritation from all that and still ended up self-conscious about the appearance and feeling of it. In my 20s, I went to weekly electrolysis appointments for the better part of a year...it was painful but so worth it !!! I see my mom and grandma still dealing with their mustaches, and I am so happy to be free of mine ! It's been over 15 years with no regrowth. If it ever comes back, I'll have it redone, but I think it is gone forever, yay !

In the meantime, if she is too young for electrolysis, I wonder if you could find a laser hair removal facility to take care of it. Even if an aesthetician won't work on someone her age, you might find a dermatology practice that would. From my own experience, being made fun of from age 8 on, IMO if a kid is self-conscious about it, she is old enough to have it taken seriously as a real problem.

My daughter uses Nair face cream. She has never had a problem with the product despite very sensitive skin. I helped her for the first 5x or so, and now she does it on her own. She was also 12 when we started to have to deal with this. It did cause a lot of stress for dd and she was sooo happy that I found a solution.

There's also threading.

If she's going to try waxing or threading, I'd suggest trying it in a less painful area for a while first. For me that would be in between my eyebrows or the random hair above the brow. This stuff hurts!

My MIL uses this: http://www.amazon.com/Finishing-Touch-Lumina-Lighted-Pivoting/dp/B000FRVA8O

Another great option is to tell her that there are women who embrace the hair. My mom is incredibly fair and she didn't/doesn't understand the feelings you go through with a darker complexion. My dad had a big beautiful (funny) talk with me about being a Mexican girl even though I have an Irish mom. He talked about how it was normal to have hair in all sorts of places and darker skin in certain places... :tongue_smilie:

It's one of my favorite memories! After his "chicano pride" talk :lol: I had a whole new outlook. Over the years I played with the look, and I had a "right on!" moment when that Frieda Kahlo movie came out years later...

For the most part I love the grooming process. That was something my mom taught me. The joy and sometimes comradery (sp?) of beauty treatments. We had lots of evenings where we'd watch movies, do our nails, facials, and I'd bleach my mustache. Those are also good memories too. :001_smile:

I have very fair skin...dark hair and green eyes. My mom and I always called our facial hair the " family curse". And promised each other never to let the other one go hairy in the hospital...even if we were unconscious. I kept my end of the bargain:D. Now I have that agreement with my dd...lol.

Anyway, I finally just gave in and shave it off every evening...and sometimes again in the morning. I think of it as a facial peel....lol. No dead skin on me. It was thick and yucky on my chin...and I joke that I have a better beard than my teen son....but I would never let them see it!!

I think PCOS and bad genetics really played a role in my hair issues....:glare:

I just can't see walking around like the bearded circus lady:tongue_smilie:

Faithe

PCOS definitely does. My family is very hairless on both sides. I'm not. :glare: My mom (also with PCOS) had problems but then her thyroid went hypo and it fixed all her hair issues.

I used jolen bleach as a teen and now I wax with the pre-waxed strips. You can buy either at any drug store or Target. If you use the wax strips, make sure to wash the skin well with soap first. Then I like to do a quick wipe with rubbing alcohol to kill any remaining germs. This has definitely cut down on blemishes from the open skin (for me, it might be irritating to others). Maybe get waxing or threading done at a salon first to see the results and follow up at home.

At her age I would bleach. When she is older I would suggest electrolysis ( with someone who is skilled). I would not pluck or thread or wax right now. For the hair to come back thinner you need to treat the root of the hair. If you break the hair off at the skin level it will tend to come back thicker and you may have a bigger issue on your hands. I speak from experience :).

I had a thick mustache from junior high through high school. I didn't do anything about until I was in college. (My Mom was just not into nails, hair, girl stuff. She was highly upset when I started shaving my legs in 8th grade.) Amyhow, I first used the Nair cream as someone has already mentioned. It has an odor to it but it goes away once washed off. (I was willing to tolerate anything at that point just to get rid of my stache.) I now wax it off myself with my own waxing kit i bought at a local beauty supply store. Pain is tolerable and only last for a few seconds. There is a local nail salon that waxes facial hair for less than $10.

My youngest daughter is only 2, and she already has a light mustache. If she wanted to do something about it at age 10 or 11 or whenever, you bet your bottom dollar I will do something about it. The teasing and the self-consciousness associated with facial hair is not worth it. Btw, I have jet black hair with very light complexion.