Menu

Trying to parent an adult child through a domestic situation.

Obviously, I can not say much on a public forum but my dd is in the same situation as the one our dear friend was going through recently. She is 19, has a good job, is going to college and has a safe place to go and yet she is choosing to remain where she is. I am going through a depressed phase right now and I am not thinking clearly and do not know how to handle this. I could use support, advice, prayers and positive thoughts. Please do not kick me while I am down because I on't have the resources to deal with it. Also may I please ask that you do not quote this particular post as I may remove it when I am thinking more clearly.

:grouphug: Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm sorry your dd is going through this. :grouphug: You will be in my prayers.

The only advice I have is to keep communications open. Make sure you are talking to her often, and listen, really listen to her. Try hard not to jump at her with advice. I know it's hard. My mom had to deal with this. Thankfully the other person came to her senses a week before the wedding. But it's so hard to watch. And when she does come around, just be there for her. :grouphug:

Are you able to brainstorm with her about various options? Not in an instructive way, but in a creative, helpful way? It seems that someone will be less apt to leave/end a bad situation if they do not know of other options out there.

I'm so sorry. I really have no experience with this, so do not know if this is practical advice or not.

Does she not feel as though she is in danger, or is she admitting that it's a possibility, but doesn't want to leave? Can you work out a system w/ her where she checks in w/ you daily, at a certain time, and have a codeword for if she needs you to call in the police?

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: