Menu

Anybody want to skip Christmas this year with me and take a vacation instead?

The season hasn't even begun yet, and I'm ready to book a trip to the Caribbean.

I asked my mom if she'd be okay with that and she nearly blew her eyeball right out of her head.

I'm afraid to suggest it to anyone else.

But, if I could harness all the silly cash spent on "gift cards" and all the obligatory guesses as to which gifts someone won't want to return, we could take a very nice vacation to somewhere...not so cold. And if They did that, too, we could all go together and spend Christmas simply enjoying one another.

Who is with me (at least in theory)?

You could watch Christmas with the Kranks. That's what they tried to do. :)

Lol! I've seen it - I think we even own it. Perhaps I should rewatch it to shake my NotLovingChristmas mood. But, they were going to head off on their own; I would take dh and the kids for sure, and hope that the in-laws and my family came too.

Edited by LauraGB

Dh and I skipped Thanksgiving once by going on a cruise and it was awesome. We got a last minute deal ridiculously cheap and just left. I think it was $500 each for 11 nights. Family was irritated but it was worth it. I think we had Thanksgiving dinner on the ship after spending the day on the beach in Honduras. That was before we had dd and I'm pretty sure my parents would be way more upset about Christmas. It's a lovely thought though.:001_smile:

I am totally with you! I have mentioned this to dh a few times and think he'd be totally onboard. I think my boys are too young to see the awesomeness in forgoing the presents in lieu of a vacation. By the time they are old enough the grandparents will be older and we'd want to be with them as time will feel limited. I'm afraid it won't happen for us.

I am totally with you. My darling daughter who is 22 will be having her boyfriend/fiance come for the holidays. He is from a 2 kid family, us, 12 kids, our house is VERY lived in, his, a mansion I'm sure. HOW will I cope? The dynamics of a 2 kid family compared to a 12 kid family are so, so different!!! I'm stressing already. But he has to come in order to ask her father for her hand so I have no choice. My husband is prepared to ask him if he's up to being tied up in a gunnysack for the whole time he is here!! (Patriots) Wish me luck!

HMMMM, not this year.

I am actually enjoying everything so far. Last Christmas was so sad for us -- DD32 had lost their baby boy late in the 2nd trimester, the funeral was the week before Christmas -- we did 'all' the Christmas things we had to do, but it is only this year that I realize how sad I was and how much work and effort it all seemed to be.

I was telling the psychologist today that this year is just so different -- grief is just so multi-faceted. One year later, I can do everything that we need to do for the holidays, but I am doing it with joy -- last year it was only out of obligation.

So, no, this year I don't want to get away. I will, however, stay away from certain people in the family who really annoy me -- and we are thinking baout leaving for a week away on 12/26 -- which is something we have done in the past and we love it.:001_smile:

I was fantasizing about that today.

I'm tired.

My husband is still recovering -- much more slowly than he had been told to expect -- from hernia surgery three weeks ago.

Both kids are busy. My daughter opens a show this weekend that runs four performances a week until the 18th. My son's youth production has four performances this weekend. The shows take place in different cities, 20 miles apart, and because this is tech week for both of them, I've been taking my son to one theatre at 4:00, my daughter to the other at 6:00, picking him up at 8:00 and then picking her up at 11:00 before driving the 30 minutes home.

My son's Lego team has a tournament next weekend, the same day that we have tickets to see my daughter's show.

His choir sings their big Christmas concert/service on 12/18 and then leaves the next morning to fly to Washington, D.C., to sing at the White House.

Just today, he was invited to participate in, I kid you not, five more performances, every one of which conflicts with something else he's already doing.

I have six craft projects going, and I'm beginning to lose faith that I will have the time or energy to finish any of them.

As anyone who's read my recent threads knows, I feel like I'm at my wit's end with my son homeschool-wise. I'm desperate enough to be still considering sending him to school in January.

Then, today, my son confessed that he is still upset about the Halloween debacle and feels like Christmas won't be good, either. Plus, I think he has realized that he is past enjoying Christmas as a kid and is sad about that.

There is a part of me that really just wants to toss the whole thing -- all of our family traditions, the whole shebang -- and just run away for a few days.

I don't know where the money for that would come from, though. Even if we pulled the plug on everything we're planning but haven't bought, it wouldn't be enough to make a festive vacation. And, given that I had to sit my son down this week and tell him we can't afford for him to do the next youth production that he really wanted to audition for, I can't imagine he'd be too excited about us spending a ton of money elsewhere.

Plus, it's not like the four of us actually get along for any serious length of time, anyway.

But it is a lovely, lovely thought . . .

we did this last year. we have older boys (14 and 19 last year). we took them to jamaica for christmas. i wrapped up a coconut for each of them and wrote a message on it of what the surprise was. gave it to them a few weeks before christmas. we also took our parents and it was there present too. it was amazing and something we will never forget. i didn't decorate at home etc... and used the money i would have spent on tree etc... for our trip. it was a magical experience. we were riding horses through orange orchards on christmas day.

The season hasn't even begun yet, and I'm ready to book a trip to the Caribbean.

I asked my mom if she'd be okay with that and she nearly blew her eyeball right out of her head.

I'm afraid to suggest it to anyone else.

But, if I could harness all the silly cash spent on "gift cards" and all the obligatory guesses as to which gifts someone won't want to return, we could take a very nice vacation to somewhere...not so cold. And if They did that, too, we could all go together and spend Christmas simply enjoying one another.

Who is with me (at least in theory)?

Me ME ME MEEEE!!!!!!!

I am actually almost done with my shopping and can see the light at the end of the tunnel so I'm not really sure what I am complaining about. :tongue_smilie: I do wish we could make it simple and easy and just eat cookies and tell each other Merry Christmas and have done with it. All this other hoopla is just wearing me down this year.

You ladies who have actually taken trips to somewhere sunny and warm are my heroes! You've broken free of the holiday tangle. Way to go!

Edited by Mothersweets