Menu

November Crafter's Update!

Ok, my dears! I know you've been working your fingers to the bone in preparation for Christmas. And most of those who don't do Christmas will be freezing their mitts off by now, and are probably knitting some to save them.

I seem not to have taken a pic of my dodgy knitted square, but I did make one. Anyway, that is nothing in comparison to the splendor of embroidery and the doll house dh and I have been making out of an old book shelf! I did the interior decorating and he did the top and the stairs on the side. They aren't quite finished yet, but the rest is all done. :)

The embroidery isn't quite finished yet. I still have some red decorations to sew into the gaps and to put a backing and whatnot on.

Yay for me! Now show me some pics so I can stop patting my own back! :D

Rosie

love your doll house!

I have been quite busy, but I keep forgetting to take pictures!

This month I have finished up baby gifts for Grandbaby due in January. I gave away the gifts at their shower a couple of weeks ago. I made some burp cloths out of flannel and crocheted around the edges. (12 of them) One very large flannel blanket with crocheted edges and one very frilly crocheted pink afghan.

Thanksgiving we did an early Christmas with my DD and her family who were visiting and we won't' see them over Christmas. I made a princess cape, crown, tall hat and tutu for my Granddaughter.

Fleece jammies for the oldest grandson.

Set of 12 double sided cloth napkins went to my DD.

I also made 4 bag ladies.. which are cloth bags with cute aprons on them to keep plastic bags in. I do still have a couple of those, so maybe I will get the camera out tomorrow.

Now to complete the jammies and dress up capes I have planned for gifts at Christmas!

Once again I am attempting to sew. We cut doll clothes for my dd's dolls. I haven't figured out how to sew it yet. The pattern is so confusing!

We also bought fabric for a doll quilt. Pretty sure I can figure out the block thing but the edges of a quilt baffle me. I have read more directions with pictures this week and still don't get it.

And I also bought fabric to make my son a pouch for his Nerf Ammo. Making that without a pattern and know that one will get done, lol! :tongue_smilie:

I am making the homemade pot holders too. Those I can do :lol:

I have more ideas than ability but that is my current project list!

Ok, tell me again how to post pictures? Last time I posted through Flickr and they came out super small.

How do you get that slide show look?

I did get some Christmas ornaments completed although I have a lot more to do.

Dawn

When you are replying to a thread or starting a new thread, scroll down a little and you will see Additional Options. Under Attach Files, click on Manage Attachments, then click the Choose File button, then Upload. Once the file is listed as uploaded, click Close this Window, and you're good to go.

When you post, click on the paperclip icon. It will open another window where you can add a file or url. Click the Upload button. If you do this several times (for several photos) you will get the slideshow. When you're done loading the pics (5 max) close the window. When you submit your post the pics will be included as thumbnails.

ETA: Lynne types faster than I do. Or just has a faster brain. lol

I know this thread usually has more sewing/knitting type projects, but I had to show what I've been working on this month.

I made a bunch of paper stuff to sell at a couple of craft fairs. The gift card holders were a big hit. But, my biggest seller were the mini-purses. I used a velcro tab, so that you could actually open the purse and put in a pair of earrings, some candy, etc.

I made the Countdown to Christmas Advent Calenders for my kids. I have to fill them tonight so they can start tomorrow! They will take one box each day, see what's inside, then hang the empty box on the tree in their room as an ornament.

ETA: I meant to say how much I love the doll house, too! I would have loved that as a kid!

post-11849-13535085802922_thumb.jpg

post-11849-13535085803348_thumb.jpg

post-11849-13535085803774_thumb.jpg

Edited by thescrappyhomeschooler

I know this thread usually has more sewing/knitting type projects, but I had to show what I've been working on this month.

I made a bunch of paper stuff to sell at a couple of craft fairs. The gift card holders were a big hit. But, my biggest seller were the mini-purses. I used a velcro tab, so that you could actually open the purse and put in a pair of earrings, some candy, etc.

We do usually have knitting and sewing, don't we? I wonder why the scrapbookers don't post on here.

Anyway, yay! Those purses are terribly cute!

ETA: I meant to say how much I love the doll house, too! I would have loved that as a kid!
You can't really see in the pic, but it has a rooftop garden :)

We also bought fabric for a doll quilt. Pretty sure I can figure out the block thing but the edges of a quilt baffle me. I have read more directions with pictures this week and still don't get it.

I take a strip of cloth, turn under the edges and iron them so they stay that way. Then I fold it in half lengthways, iron it again, insert quilt edge and sew the length. Then repeat on the other three sides.

Is that not the proper way? :confused: Oh well, this is why I usually don't follow patterns. They are harder to visualise than a solution, however "not proper," since I had kids.

I managed to hand quilt 5 more blocks on my dd11's quilt. I am hoping to have it finished by the end of Feburary.

You've been working on this all year, I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Rosie

Rosie, you are a on a roll. Dollhouses are the best.

I made the kids these slouch hats. These are two of them, out of the 5. They whipped up in a day. They were supposed to be for Christmas.

CIMG2057-1.jpg

CIMG2052-2.jpg

Then I found this pattern on pintrest, and made my MIL one, and littest hatchling picked this green striped yarn. The pattern seemed hard at first, but wasn't as bad as I thought. (the yarns are Encore which is a 75 acrylic 25 wool blend-for kids who need hats washed often :-) )

CIMG2049-1-1.jpg

Now I've got two more hats going (from interweave crochet fall 11, the best guy hat ever). And I beaded three bracelets today, for Dd 16. I'll have to take picts of them later.

Edited by justamouse

I've been knitting and felting a lot this month. I made two pairs of slippers for dd and one pair for myself. (no pic of mine) I knit a Christmas stocking for my old high school lit. teacher's new grandbaby. I knit, but still need to felt, a Christmas stocking for dd. I'm knitting the second of two purses that will then be felted and given to my nieces for Christmas.

post-12282-13535085804895_thumb.jpg

post-12282-13535085805135_thumb.jpg

post-12282-13535085805316_thumb.jpg

Greetings fellow crafters! Such lovely and fun work!

Here is my handiwork from November. I made a pair of fingerless gloves for a niece who is attending grad school in a cold climate. The second photo has a couple of sewing projects, two bibs for my nephew's son and a silly Christmas flamingo gift bag, as well as a knitted hat for a toddler in my life. Last month's photo included a couple of inches of the pictured sock. Hurrah! The heel is turned. Good thing that the socks are a February birthday gift. At the rate I'm going, one will be done by then!

Thank you. I will try it, just not tonight!

Dawn

When you are replying to a thread or starting a new thread, scroll down a little and you will see Additional Options. Under Attach Files, click on Manage Attachments, then click the Choose File button, then Upload. Once the file is listed as uploaded, click Close this Window, and you're good to go.

I've been knitting and felting a lot this month. I made two pairs of slippers for dd and one pair for myself. (no pic of mine) I knit a Christmas stocking for my old high school lit. teacher's new grandbaby. I knit, but still need to felt, a Christmas stocking for dd. I'm knitting the second of two purses that will then be felted and given to my nieces for Christmas.

I love those felted wool slippers! I saw them on ravelry and ...darn, some awesome blog had them, soulemama? I dunno, but I was all jealous of the knitters. :001_smile:

Greetings fellow crafters! Such lovely and fun work!

Here is my handiwork from November. I made a pair of fingerless gloves for a niece who is attending grad school in a cold climate. The second photo has a couple of sewing projects, two bibs for my nephew's son and a silly Christmas flamingo gift bag, as well as a knitted hat for a toddler in my life. Last month's photo included a couple of inches of the pictured sock. Hurrah! The heel is turned. Good thing that the socks are a February birthday gift. At the rate I'm going, one will be done by then!

Those bibs are the best ever. I made them for my kids and you just cannot wear them out. And they absorb like crazy. Best new momma gift. And the fingerless mitts are gorgeous!

I've been having a blast crocheting sock monkey hats for nieces, nephews and grandchildren...

My kids love those and want them so badly! How cute!

Trixie here's the links

Slouchy Hat I started with a chain 60, fwiw. :001_smile:

And the Divine Hat The instructions are a bear at first, but once you get going, you knock yourself on the head for how easy it is.

I love those felted wool slippers! I saw them on ravelry and ...darn, some awesome blog had them, soulemama? I dunno, but I was all jealous of the knitters. :001_smile:

Thanks. Which ones? The clogs? I'll be making myself a pair after I get my Christmas knitting done...which I should be doing right now. :glare:

Adding a photo of another project that I finished this morning. I think most pot holders sold in stores stink! The batting in these is felted wool--I used an old jacket. The front has the owls and spots; the rear sunflower pockets are hand covers. Since both the front piece and the pockets have felted wool as batting, they can also function as trivets.

I wanted to mention this project since it uses stuff that people who craft may already have around. A last minute gift idea?

Detailed instructions are in Amy Butler's book Institches.

Edited by Jane in NC
extra info

Adding a photo of another project that I finished this morning. I think most pot holders sold in stores stink! The batting in these is felted wool--I used an old jacket. The front has the owls and spots; the rear sunflower pockets are hand covers. Since both the front piece and the pockets have felted wool as batting, they can also function as trivets.

I wanted to mention this project since it uses stuff that people who craft may already have around. A last minute gift idea?

Nice! I think I'll make these for me after Christmas!

Would one of those wool jackets from Chadwick's work for this? I saw a couple of those at the thrift shop, and for a $1, this would be a great re-purposing of them.

Would one of those wool jackets from Chadwick's work for this? I saw a couple of those at the thrift shop, and for a $1, this would be a great re-purposing of them.

Boiled wool is great but any 100% wool felts beautifully. I am not sure what a wool Chadwick's jacket is like, but I would say go for it! You could also sew mittens or slippers from felted wool.

So pretty! Lucky recipients!

Thank you!

Most of them are going to the patients on long term care unit where my DH works. There are 4 of each style so I'll give some of each style to him.

Last year when he took cards up there he said the nurses made such a big deal over them he was afraid they'd keep them for themselves and not give them to the patients! :lol:

Thank you!

Most of them are going to the patients on long term care unit where my DH works. There are 4 of each style so I'll give some of each style to him.

Last year when he took cards up there he said the nurses made such a big deal over them he was afraid they'd keep them for themselves and not give them to the patients! :lol:

Wow, that's a wonderful thing to do.

Just adding my teen son's Nov. craft project.

This is his "modified" hockey neck guard. He felt it was "too wide" and "touched his neck too much."

He insists that he didn't use a butter knife with his eyes closed.

:lol::lol::lol:

I made the 10 yo an advent calendar of her own, from a template on The Toymaker (but using seasonal card stock). The boxes are hanging from the mantle in the foyer.

Now, I need to finish the knitting UFOs. And finish painting the laundry room so we can put in the new shower... Good grief.

post-5597-13535085814683_thumb.jpg

post-5597-13535085814683_thumb.jpg

Adding a photo of another project that I finished this morning. I think most pot holders sold in stores stink! The batting in these is felted wool--I used an old jacket.

Your potholders look great! I wouldn't have thought to use felted wool for the batting (even though I've made felted oven mitts)--very clever. And you're right--store bought pot holders are terrible.