Menu

School dress code!!!!

I realize I am probably over reacting, but wow! I just got the dress code for the kids school.

"Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be knee length. Tights and/or leggings under shorts, skirts and dresses that reach the knee will not be accepted as a substitute-the short, skirt, and/or dress must reach the knee."

DD10 has legs like a stork! There are not a pair of shorts out there (other than boys basketball shorts) that will come to her knees. :glare: This is Texas people!!! It gets really hot!

Vent over. Ugh :tongue_smilie:

I would rather they just had uniforms.

I realize I am probably over reacting, but wow! I just got the dress code for the kids school.

"Shorts, skirts, and dresses must be knee length. Tights and/or leggings under shorts, skirts and dresses that reach the knee will not be accepted as a substitute-the short, skirt, and/or dress must reach the knee."

DD10 has legs like a stork! There are not a pair of shorts out there (other than boys basketball shorts) that will come to her knees. :glare: This is Texas people!!! It gets really hot!

Vent over. Ugh :tongue_smilie:

I would rather they just had uniforms.

My dd wears a uniform (generic khaki or navy shorts/pants or a specific plaid skort/jumper.). The skorts are unalterable. The jumpers come long and needing hemmed, but no one past 2nd grade wears them. Length on the tall and skinny is still an issue (we get 2 inches above the ground from kneeling) but the choices are just limited.

Oh, I hear you on not finding things the right length. Dd11 is about a size 12 in length in an 8 in the body. Everything is short on her. I loved wearing a uniform to school growing up. No clothing decisions.

Despite length/width issues---I LOVE a uniform. Buy a few shirts, a few khaki shorts and pants, a couple of plaid skorts, a few tights/leggings/socks, a solid sweater, a pair of solid dressier school shoes and a pair of solid tennis shoes-------now, MIX 'N MATCH. It sounds like a lot, but she's been wearing these clothes, daily, since August and isn't close to growing out of anything. Only the white shirts have stain problems (duh....no white next time.). She just adds tights and a sweater, as needed. The pants and skorts all have adjustable waists and the material on the skort is extremely durable and hides any stains. I also bought quality khaki pants (Lands End and Nautica--which was similar in price to Lands End) and they seem to be stain resistant. I expect much of it will be able to be passed down to her sister. No worries about it going out of style. :)

Edited by snickelfritz

Could you do something like this?

http://prettydubs.blogspot.com/2010/04/add-length-to-your-shorts.html

Unfortunately, this wouldn't work for my DS, who has now grown out of all the pants I just bought at the beginning of the school year! :glare:

ETA: This could also work for those too short skirts they sell in the stores!!

Could you do something like this?

http://prettydubs.blogspot.com/2010/04/add-length-to-your-shorts.html

Unfortunately, this wouldn't work for my DS, who has now grown out of all the pants I just bought at the beginning of the school year! :glare:

ETA: This could also work for those too short skirts they sell in the stores!!

Yeah, it is going to have to be something like that if she ever wants to wear shorts. Poor thing! It gets really hot here and the moment she comes home she will be out with her horse, so that means jeans or breeches.

Even when were at a very conservative Bible college skirts and shorts could be within a credit card length of the knee. To the knee sounds a bit extreme to me. :glare:

DD's school has uniforms and skirts/dresses have to reach the knee. No shorts/skorts or leggings allowed. If she'll wear skirts you might check out French Toast--they have a large variety of skirts in various lengths. Lots of skorts and shorts too but I don't know if they have knee-length ones or not.

You could try Lands End. I know they sell unhemmed uniform pants. They might sell unhemmed shorts. Or stick with capris. Not shorts, but they'd be long enough. I do actually prefer uniforms over a strict dress code. My older kids have uniforms--blue/tan pants, shorts or dresses/skirts, red/white/blue collared shirts. No requirement on length of shorts or skirts come to think of it other than to please wear shorts or tights under skirts for modesty. And I know for a fact that there are a lot of 1st grade girls who do not follow this request because they like to bend over and flash it all to unsuspecting eyes.:blink:

Are capris legal? They might end up being knee-length shorts on her.

Alternatively, is it legal to buy pants, cut off the legs and hem them yourself, or bribe someone you know to do it?

That’s quite tough. DD’s school has uniform. So won’t need to worry about clothes anymore. Buying pant & cutting them the desired length is quite a good idea. It works with growing kids. Also the cut piece can be used as an extension after few months if required! ;)

I was watching dd this morning walking around in knee length leggings and a sweatshirt. I started to wonder why knee length leggings would be legal, just not under a skirt or shorts. The entire thing is baffling to me :001_huh:.

I will most likely alter some of her clothing come spring. I am really not against dress codes that are reasonable, this one just seems a bit strange ;)

You may find that the dress code is more flexible than you would expect. My kids need knee length shorts or skirts but knee length seems to mean "close to the knee" when actually applied. They are both tall and thin and have been wearing things that are 2 or 3 inches above the knee without an issue.

I was watching dd this morning walking around in knee length leggings and a sweatshirt. I started to wonder why knee length leggings would be legal, just not under a skirt or shorts. The entire thing is baffling to me :001_huh:.

I will most likely alter some of her clothing come spring. I am really not against dress codes that are reasonable, this one just seems a bit strange ;)

I read it as leggings are allowed under a skirt, etc, but the skirt/shorts must still reach the knee. Do they allow leggings without something over them?

When I read the quote you posted, I interpreted it to mean that putting leggings under a skirt or shorts that are above the knee wouldn't be an acceptable way to meet the dress code - the skirt and shorts have to be knee length on their own.

Many kids around here wear leggings under their uniform jumpers/skirts so that they don't have to worry about modesty during recess or on the stairs, although some wear bike shorts for that purpose.

J.C. Penney has knee length shorts and Possibly old navy. I also cut a pair of dd's jeans to make knee length shorts. The knee length is pretty standard for dress code in schools. Be glad she can wear shorts. Jr. High and High Schools here (also in TX) don't allow them at all. After 5th grade, shorts are a no-no.

Are boys' basketball shorts allowed? That is what my dd wears when she needs knee-length shorts. She has also bought capris at Academy; they are lightweight and, in some ways, cooler than shorts (we are in Texas, also). We have also been able to find some things, such as basic khaki or navy shorts and skirts, at a "school uniform" store.

My girls are pretty tall. I mean , my 13 yr old is 5 ft 9 and still growing.

Anyways, I've had good luck with French Toast and Lands End for longer styled shorts.

I will warn you if you order French Toast clothes online be DARNED sure that the stuff fits.

We had a stiff with them last year where we ordered a one piece dress and a pair of pants and we assumed that it was the right size. We got them and it wasn't. So they wanted us to pay to return the clothes along with a surcharge just to exchange sizes. Im not sure if we're spoiled with the Lands End customer serrvice or what? But just wanted to exchange sizes We had to argue and argue for them to send us a return slip just to exchange sizes. I don't care for their customer service. But they do have a wide varity. My suggestion is to even go to a school uniform store in your area and try on sizes if you want to order from French Toast. I believe that Sears also carries French Toast as well as Walmart and Kmart. But that's only during school season.