Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - week forty eight

Good morning my darlings! (Well, we'll pretend it's morning since I'm posting Saturday night because I only have 2000 words to go to reach 50,000 for Nanowrimo and won't be coming online until after I'm done.) Today is the start of week 48 in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books Blog - More linky love to authors who blog. Check them out for idea for books to read for 2012. Get a head start on your book bucket list when it's contemporary books or classic books.

What are you reading this week?

Link to week 47

I finished my U books - Uncle Petros and Lisa Unger's Beautiful Lies. Uncle Petros was just plain strange, but see how it's about mathematical obsession, of course it'd be strange. I also read Lee Child's Worth Dying For. I had to find out what happened to Jack Reacher after 61 hours which was a cliff hanger. Did he survive or not. Of course he did.

This week I'll be working on Rachel Vincent's Blood Bound and the only book I have with V in the title is Agatha Christie's Murder at the Vicarage. Plus Long Gone for What's in the Name challenge that has a book with a size in the title.

Still in the mode of not reading here. Good thing I already reached my quota. :tongue_smilie:

Just busy, busy here. Spending my little brain power on crosswords as I don't have a huge amount of time right now to invest in a long, involved story (my favorite types of books).

Still reading & enjoying this thread, though. I keep using it to add to my 2012 'to read' list. :001_smile:

Finally finished The Honourable Schoolboy, the sequel to le CarrĂƒÂ©'s Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. It was good, but too long. I would have edited out a couple hundred of the 600 pages. I'm going to also to count A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver even though it's kid lit. And I'm still behind. Behind for NaNoWriMo too (38,000 words). Probably won't be reading anything until December.

(Psssttt, Negin -- Lisbeth Salander made the list. :D)

:D Stacia, I love that list and of course the fact that she's on it. I still mourn the fact that he died way too young and didn't get to finish all 10 books that he'd planned. I miss Lisbeth ...

I finished Someone Knows My Name and really liked it. Very similar to Roots, but of course Roots is in a whole 'nuther category. Roots is one of the best books I've ever read. Very hard to read, but amazing.

Trivia that I thought interesting. The author's brother is

. His songs are the type that give me goosebumps. :D

i69287thctt.jpg

Not sure what I'll be reading next. My reading is really slow these days. Since my goal is 26 books per year, I'm okay with that. ;)

Haven't posted in several weeks but I've been keeping up pretty well.:)

Yesterday I read Left Neglected by Lisa Genova. That was book number 49 for me. I can't believe I'm going to reach the goal of 52 books in 52 weeks!:D

I've started The Red Tent. I also have a couple of non fiction going right now.

What are you reading this week?

It will take me more than a week, but I'm studying Rhetorical Grammar by Martha Kolln (not a typo). She is mentioned in The War Against Grammar. This is a FAB book if you want to make your writing more correct and able to convey just what you want it to. With any good book, you not only learn something, but also things you didn't know you didn't know.

I believe it is a college text, but a high schooler who wants to be a serious writer could chew through it with his/her tutor with great benefit.

I got the 5th ed (cheaper) off Amazon, and you can read my review there, too.

For fun, I'm currently reading vols 1-2 of the Lyttelton Hart-Davis Letters. I loooooooooooooooove them. You can read my review of the Lyttelton Hart Davis Letters 1955-1962: A Selection at Amazon, too. I can't get the link to cut and paste.

Edited by kalanamak

It's been a few weeks since I've checked in.

I finished The Last Juror by Grisham several weeks ago. Either Grisham has changed or I have changed (probably a bit of both) because I did not enjoy him nearly as much as I used to, and the only thing that book did for me was make me want to read something worth reading.

At the same time, I read The Pleasures of Reading in an Age of Distraction by Alan Jacobs based on a recommendation here. That book encouraged me to read on Whim (with a capital 'W', mind you) and not just for the sake of "having read". It got me thinking about my push to finish a book a week -- not that that hasn't been a good goal in many ways -- and thus choosing books that I can finish in a week and books I want to see on my pretty little list over choosing books based on Whim.

Between my disappointment with Grisham and Mr. Jacobs's encouragement (and the fact that I'm already hopelessly behind anyway:D), I chose Anna Karenina. Now there is a book worth reading, and I'm enjoying it immensely.

My girls and I are still enjoying Great Expectations although they say it seems much longer than Gone With the Wind even though it's only half as long. That's Dickens for you.

Edited by Luann in ID

Finished this week:

48. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. This is a memoir about a family including an alcoholic science buff dad and an artist mom who is always finding the bright side of things. While living with their parents the children live a life of extreme poverty (no food, no heat, electricity or plumbing, etc.) and have some terrible experiences, as well as some really amazing ones (enough to keep you from committing suicide half-way through the book).

49. The Night of the Living Trekkies by Anderson and Stall. I read this for a sci-fi/fantasy reading group. As someone who doesn't watch Star Trek there is not a lot I can say about this book. Did I enjoy it? Not really, but clearly I am not part of the intended audience.

Two questions for you all:

1. If you are reading a book which is actually several novels now bound together (something like this), do you count that as one book or several?

2. If you start a book in 2011 but finish in 2012, do you count that as a book you read in 2012? What if you read 95% of it in 2011?

Of course, I realize there is no Book-a-Week police force and nobody really cares how I count my books. This is just the normal curiosity of a very anal person (me).

I did it!!! Last week I finished book #51 The Shadow of the Wind and book #52 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I thought they were both very good, but especially loved Miss Peregrine. It reminded me of an episode of Torchwood (in a good way).

Really? I've now read 3 chapters of that to my kids. I was so surprised at how serious it is (and how much on the spot editing I have to do as I read). I hope this means the books gets more...peculiar?

I have a bunch this week for some reason. I read a short novel I didn't like very much, Fall of Troy. A collection of M. R. James' ghost stories was much more the thing. I finally got around to reading Austenland, which is quick and fun.

My weirdest read lately has been What the Tortoise Taught Us, which is supposed to be a short history of philosophy for ignorant people like me. The guy is supposed to be a scholar, but he sprinkled the book liberally with anecdotes and quotations that are unattributed and usually seem to be completely wrong. So you could read my review, in which I may have gotten a little OCD Librarian and listed everything, but don't read the book!

1. If you are reading a book which is actually several novels now bound together (something like this), do you count that as one book or several?

I'd do it one at a time.

2. If you start a book in 2011 but finish in 2012, do you count that as a book you read in 2012? What if you read 95% of it in 2011?

I only count it when I finish it.

So there's my unofficial 2 cents--maybe you should make a poll! :)

Of course, I realize there is no Book-a-Week police force and nobody really cares how I count my books. This is just the normal curiosity of a very anal person (me).

#1 - A book of several complete novels is how ever many # of novels is inside. The one linked 5 novels. If it's an anthology of novellas, really short stories, then it counts as one.

#2 - If you finish it in 2012 you count it for 2012, even if you started it in 2011. 95% isn't done. *grin* Unless it's book # 52, then I think we'll make an exception. ;)

1. Those novels are normally bound individually, so I would count them as five books.

2. I count it in the year I finished it.

I have that same type of personality and have had to work all this out in my head, too. I sympathize. ;)

Last week I finished a book I selected totally at random, simply because the cover art looked restful . . . :001_smile:

#74 - Revenge of the Middle-Aged Woman, by Elizabeth Buchan. Had never heard of this English author before. Good writing. Predictable story line in several areas, but the author has a way of stating the obvious in a way that catches you unaware with its spot-on accuracy. Not something I'd recommend, but it passes the time when you want some down time and some quiet!

Currently reading;

#75 - The Peasant Girl's Dream, by George MacDonald. Have heard this author highly recommended in the past. Decided to try this book I stumbled upon at the thrift store. Kind of slow starting. I may stick with it - then again, may not . . .

I did it!!! Last week I finished book #51 The Shadow of the Wind and book #52 Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I thought they were both very good, but especially loved Miss Peregrine.

:party: Woo-hoo! Congrats!

I can't believe I'm going to reach the goal of 52 books in 52 weeks!:D

:thumbup: You can do it! (And good to see you back on here!)

:lol: at your "just the normal curiosity of a very anal person (me)" statement.

1. Earlier this year, I read a book that had 3 novels bound together & ultimately ended up deciding to count it as 'one' on my list (though I seriously thought about putting it down as 3 separate books because each was originally released as a separate novel). I guess I decided to go w/ the 'one' designation because I rarely read book series all in a row (or rarely read only one author for multiple books in a row, even if the books are not a part of a series). I guess I thrive on variety & I didn't want 3 listings in a row by the same author. :tongue_smilie::lol:

2. I only count it when I finish it, regardless of when I spent the bulk of the time reading it.

Can I get in on this really late in the year???? :blushing: I've finally got my brain back after a couple of mind-gobbling (in a good way) university courses in the winter/spring and I finally feel like reading again! :hurray:

I read Elizabeth I by Margaret George, who is one of my favourite authors of historical fiction. This book was an enjoyable read; the majority of the story followed the relationship between Elizabeth I and Robert Deveraux, the Earl of Essex. His character is fascinating and you wonder why she put up with his shenanigans for so long. However, because the story only covered the last 15 years of Elizabeth's reign, it would make it difficult for anyone who hadn't read anything on Elizabeth previously to understand certain facets of her character and under what circumstances her character was formed. I'd recommend reading another book on Elizabeth, one that gives more background on her early life and the early part of her reign, before reading this one.

Very strangely, the book I'm currently reading sounds very similar to this book ...... hmmmmm ....... but more on this next week. :001_smile:

48. Elizabeth I - Margaret George

I am reading Truman by David McCullough. Hope to finish that by the end of they year?!? Quite a large book, the kind that I would like to be reading on a new Kindle fire!!! (Hint, hint, Santa!)

Has anyone read Pirate King by Laurie King, or any of her other books? I keep seeing it show up on Amazon lists and other reading lists, but I've never read anything by her. Apparently, she has a bunch of Sherlock Holmes novels?

I just listened to a musical biography of Mozart. It was like Classical Kids but for grown-ups. :001_smile: It's so hard to believe that Mozart wasn't appreciated in his time. More often than not, that's the case I guess.

I also read How Not to Look Old. It was okay. I won't follow her brilliant buys suggestions. I always look products up and see what Paula Begoun has to say about them. I follow her advice. So when the author says that foundation primer is an absolute must, and Paula says it is superfluous, I go with Paula. :001_smile:

Geesh, if I put the amount of product on my face each day like the author says to, it would take me an hour just to do my make up. She may have that kind of time, but I sure do not. Nor do I have the money for all that make up.

I'm also not going to give up my flat shoes. I'm chasing a 3 yr old...not doing that in heels.

I guess I'm saying that I didn't really learn anything relevant to my life or my style.

Negin, that is an interesting bit of trivia. Seeing that Dan Hill is Canadian, I didn't think that many people knew who he was. When I was a teenager, his songs gave me goosebumps as well. You don't hear much about him anymore, though.

Julia, yes, I don't hear much about him either, but according to his site and wikipedia, he's still active.

I finished The Last Juror by Grisham several weeks ago. Either Grisham has changed or I have changed (probably a bit of both) because I did not enjoy him nearly as much as I used to, and the only thing that book did for me was make me want to read something worth reading.

Luann, you haven't changed :). I used to love Grisham. His older books were great. His new ones are disappointing and not nearly as good.

I also read How Not to Look Old. It was okay. I won't follow her brilliant buys suggestions. I always look products up and see what Paula Begoun has to say about them. I follow her advice. So when the author says that foundation primer is an absolute must, and Paula says it is superfluous, I go with Paula. :001_smile:

Geesh, if I put the amount of product on my face each day like the author says to, it would take me an hour just to do my make up. She may have that kind of time, but I sure do not. Nor do I have the money for all that make up.

I'm also not going to give up my flat shoes. I'm chasing a 3 yr old...not doing that in heels.

I guess I'm saying that I didn't really learn anything relevant to my life or my style.

:iagree:

I took some bits and pieces of her advice, but most of it is really not for me. I am not planning on wearing make up or dying my greys. I seldom wear heels. I also much prefer Paula. :D Charla's other book is really helpful however, I think.

Has anyone read Pirate King by Laurie King, or any of her other books? I keep seeing it show up on Amazon lists and other reading lists, but I've never read anything by her. Apparently, she has a bunch of Sherlock Holmes novels?

I read the first one of her Sherlock Holmes novels (The Beekeeper's Apprentice) quite a few years ago & totally enjoyed it. Our book club read it & it was definitely a hit w/ everyone. I keep meaning to get the next ones & read them; just haven't gotten around to it yet.... Definitely recommended, though.

If you start a book in 2011 but finish in 2012, do you count that as a book you read in 2012? What if you read 95% of it in 2011?

:lol: This made me laugh because this is something I would think about too!

This week I read Before I Go to Sleep by S. J. Watson. This was a page turner! I started it Sunday night and finished it Tuesday. It's one of those books where you think you know "who did it" but you have some inklings of doubt. I had 3 different scenarios that I thought it could be and one of them was correct, but I still enjoyed the book and didn't feel down that I had guessed it. I usually read before bed and let me tell you, I did not drift off peacefully the nights I was reading this book!

After that I read The Day Donny Herbert Woke Up by Rich Blake. This is a true story of a firefighter who spends 9 years in a vegetative state and then wakes up. The first half of the book set the background and some of it was boring imo. Once the accident happens, the book picks up. I thought it was just okay.

This week I'm reading 2030: The Real Story of What Happens to America by Albert Brooks. It's off to a great start.

Love, love, love LRK! Well, her Sherlock series, at least.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice is the first of the Holmes series, and yes, it's one of those series that should be read in order. Love it!!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Yes, I do wholeheartedly agree!

I have really enjoyed all the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books and had somehow missed Pirate King. It's going on my iPad this afternoon!

I started listening to House of Silk last night, which is a Holmes story "authorized" by the Holmes society or some such body. It is, so far, spot on, though the reader has given Holmes a fairly high pitched voice, not feminine, but a little off putting. It shouldn't keep me from listening, though.

I have to read 8 books before the end of the year!! I thought I'd be reading so much more now that I'm not actively homeschooling (youngest is taking community college classes), but I am apparently finding all sorts of other things to do with my time. Anyway, Pirate King and the new Sue Grafton mystery will be quick reads to jump start my final push to 52.

I finished #44 The Wand in the Word last night. I'm more behind than I thought. Oh, well. It's been crazy busy. I have two other books started and a Shakespeare play to read to over the next week so maybe there is hope.

Edited by Angel

I finished Long Gone by Alafair Burke. It was mediocre. Couldn't get into the Agatha Christie book so read Vampire's Violin by Michael Romkey instead. Interesting story. Next up is J.R Ward's Dark Lover, then all I have left is x,y, and z to complete for the abc title and author challenge. Picked out the books already so pretty sure I'll be successful.

What I've read so far:

Authors

A. Alton Gansky - The Incumbent

B. Patricia Briggs - River Marked

C. Cherry Adair - Hush

D. Debbie Macomber - Angels Everywhere

E. Elle Newmark - The Sandalwood Tree

F. Diana Pharoah Francis - Crimson Wind

G.Gary Chapman - The Five Love Languages

H. Libby Fischer Hellmann - An Eye for Murder (e-book)

I. Irene Hannon - The Best Gift (e-book)

J. Jody Hedlund - The Preacher's Bride

K. Ben Kane - The Silver Eagle

L. Lara Adrian - Kiss of Heaven

M. Mercedes Lackey - Intrigues

N. Kim Newman - Anno Dracula

O. Tess Oliver - Camille

P. Ann Patchett - State of Wonder

Q. Amanda Quick - Quicksilver

R. Karen Rose - You Belong to Me

S. Mariah Stewart - Hometown Girl

T.Traci L. Slatton - The Botticelli Affair

U. Lisa Unger - Beautiful Lies

V. Rachel Vincent - Blood Bound

Titles

A. Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

B. Beatrice and Virgil - Yann Martel

C. Cinders - Michelle Davidson Argyle

D. Delirious - Daniel Palmer

E. Eats, Shoots and Leaves - Lynn Truss

F. Forsaken by Shadow - Kait Nolan

G. Green - Ted Dekker

H. Heatwave - Richard Castle

I. In the Woods - Tana French

J. Janeology - Karen Harrington

K. Kiss the Moon - Carla Neggers

L. L is for Lawless - Sue Grafton

M. Murder in the Marais - Cara Black

N. Night Road - Kristin Hannah

O. Out of Time - Alton Gansky

P. Dark Prince - Christine Feehan

Q. Quicksilver - Amanda Quick

R. Riptide - Cherry Adair

S. Soulless - Gail Carriger

T. The Weird Sisters - Eleanor Brown

U. Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture - Apostolos Doxiadis

V. Vampire's Violin - Michael Romkey

W.Worth Dying For - Lee Child

I just finished A House of Sand and Fog. It started off slow, but then I could hardly put it down. Someone on here listed it in their "books that changed my life" list and while I don't think it changed my life, it certainly has things worth mulling over. I would highly recommend it!

I read:

#110 Stolen Innocence: My Story of Growing up in a Polygamous Sect, Becoming a Teenage Bride and Breaking Free by Elissa Wall. Very good, interesting story, and rather mind-boggling to me.

#111 The Seventh Station: A Father Dowling Mystery by Ralph McInerny, which I enjoyed. I'll be looking for more books of his.

#112 How to Never Look Fat by Charla Krupp (I also checked out How Not to Look Old like several of you did, and have been browsing through it). Some good dressing tips here. I cannot see myself wearing high heels all the time though, or even any of the time really. They're just way too impractical, and I would be constantly twisting my ankles. Nor do I see myself wearing Spanx full time.

#113 A Lantern in Her Hand by Bess Streeter Aldrich. This was a good story, a little predictable, but well-told. Reminded me of Edna Ferber's So Big.

:thumbup: You can do it! (And good to see you back on here!)

Love you, Stacia...you're so sweet!:grouphug:

I'm halfway through The Red Tent and really enjoying it.

I also had to try out Kindle lending from my library so am also reading Born to Run which I've been dying to read ever since Cyndi read it and raved about it. I'm reading it on my iPad, though, as I'm having trouble getting library books onto my Kindle since it doesn't have wifi. I've followed the directions on Amazon and still can't get it.:glare:

Adding so many of your titles to my wish list on Amazon so I can remember what I want to read. :)

I read the first one of her Sherlock Holmes novels (The Beekeeper's Apprentice) quite a few years ago & totally enjoyed it. Our book club read it & it was definitely a hit w/ everyone. I keep meaning to get the next ones & read them; just haven't gotten around to it yet.... Definitely recommended, though.

Love, love, love LRK! Well, her Sherlock series, at least.

The Beekeeper's Apprentice is the first of the Holmes series, and yes, it's one of those series that should be read in order. Love it!!

Good to know, maybe I'll go back and get the first one then!

:iagree::iagree::iagree: Yes, I do wholeheartedly agree!

I have really enjoyed all the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books and had somehow missed Pirate King. It's going on my iPad this afternoon!

I started listening to House of Silk last night, which is a Holmes story "authorized" by the Holmes society or some such body. It is, so far, spot on, though the reader has given Holmes a fairly high pitched voice, not feminine, but a little off putting. It shouldn't keep me from listening, though.

I have to read 8 books before the end of the year!! I thought I'd be reading so much more now that I'm not actively homeschooling (youngest is taking community college classes), but I am apparently finding all sorts of other things to do with my time. Anyway, Pirate King and the new Sue Grafton mystery will be quick reads to jump start my final push to 52.

Well, thank you all! Looking forward to trying out her series!

November was a month of distractions, and I can still be accused of serial-dating my books (as opposed to making a commitment and finishing each one), but I did complete six last month, for a year-to-date total of 108:

â–  Blue Nights (Joan Didion)

Memoir. Related entries here and here.

â–  Henry IV, Part II (William Shakespeare)

Play, classic. With the Misses.

â–  Elizabeth Rex (Timothy Findley)

Play. The excellent CBC Stratford Festival Reading Series recording accompanied my reading of this wonderful work. The recording also accompanied Mr. M-mv to and from work for two days and earned his recommendation. And last night, we were awestruck by the Chicago Shakespeare Theater production, directed by Barbara Gaines and featuring Diane D’Aquila as Queen Elizabeth. (D’Aquila originated the role in the premiere production at Stratford Shakespeare Festival nearly a decade ago and voices Elizabeth in the recording.)

â–  Food Rules: An Eater's Manual (Michael Pollan)

Non-fiction. This title arrived on my stack for one reason only: Maira Kalman's whimsical illustrations. (Related entries here and here.) That said, the book is a cheerful reminder -- one perhaps more than a few of us require during this food, food, food season -- to eat mindfully and well.

â–  Toxic Parents (Susan Forward)

Psychology. Subtitled "Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life," this self-help manual provided background material for a recent research project.

â–  DMZ: Volume 10: Collective Punishment (Brian Wood)

Graphic fiction. Apparently, the series will conclude with Volume 12, and I'm beginning to agree with some of the harsher critics: The plot has stalled.

finished #45 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix today. I guess being sick has some advantages ;) I realized that my count was wrong when I entered this book on my blog. I forgot to record Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Yeah! I'm one more ahead of where I thought I was. Now to read some Shakespeare...

I'm finally reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. lol

I also recently finished The Meaning of Marriage by Timothy Keller. Very good. (Not a how-to-fix your marriage book, really, but because it covers what marriage SHOULD be, it could fix some things! LOL)

I'm sad to say that I gave up on 1Q84 by Murakami. Certain things are deal breakers in a book for me and this one crossed into that territory along with being so darn slow. :001_huh: