Menu

Have you ever taken a self defense class??

Have you ever taken a self defense class??  

1. 1. Have you ever taken a self defense class??

• Yes, I have taken a self-defense class
    • No, I have not taken a self-defense class
    • Other

I was thinking about this because on the Today Show this morning, they were interviewing the mother and brother of missing Michelle Parker; which is just so sad.....I really hope they find her and she's ok. :crying: One of the first things the mom said was that "every woman in America should take a self defense class". She also said to get a concealed weapon if you are able to. Now that my oldest is out and about a lot on her own (she still lives at home....but has a job, goes to a tech school 20+ miles away, etc)...I really wish she could take a self defense class. But, I don't even know where or if they do such a thing in our small town. I'll have to see if they offer such a thing at her school. Does anyone know of any really good dvd's or something?? Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see how many people here have actually taken a self defense class.

Yes. In college. It was extremely helpful. My dd's will take one when they get older. It's not even about the physical moves (which we did practice and I've mostly forgotten.). There was SO much general safety information that I, as a young girl, needed to hear. How to have fun AND stay safe.

Honestly, it shouldn't be about the physical moves. Because anything you don't practice regularly, you'll forget.

But the safety information, and the ways of walking/dressing/talking that make you appear less of a victim, are very worthwhile.

Honestly, it shouldn't be about the physical moves. Because anything you don't practice regularly, you'll forget.

But the safety information, and the ways of walking/dressing/talking that make you appear less of a victim, are very worthwhile.

:iagree: I personally thought my class was pointless. It concentrated solely on teaching a bunch of moves that you forgot 30 minutes later. Martial arts was much more useful.

I agree that some sort of martial art is more useful because you want to have the muscle memory to do something when being attacked, not just freeze up. But be sure you study the right one. :tongue_smilie: Confusing, isn't it?

Some martial arts, such as karate or tai kwon do, aren't especially useful for self-defense. You focus more on perfecting sequences of movements, building balance, learning discipline, etc. Some are much more useful. Studying things like muay thai, krav maga, or even boxing is going to be much more helpful.

Well, I take Judo. My Sensei teaches us how to use the moves in a self-defense situation at times (he'll have us take off our gi tops, and show us additional moves to use if we're being attacked). We keep meaning to offer a women's self-defense class, but scheduling has been an issue.

I've read a few books (my favorite was borrowed and I can't remember the title :() and my dad taught me a number things.

I voted other. Does a hs informal self defense class count? :lol: I probably should have voted yes.

ETA, I think information, rather than "moves," is a better idea. If you want moves take martial arts (like so many pps already posted). One of Dad's bits of wisdom was that you don't stop until your attacker is unable to chase you. Another, that I feel is important, is "there is no 'fair' when you're defending yourself." IOW, jab them in the eyes, claw them, kick em in the pelvic bone, use a chair/bottle/plastic bag/whatever presents itself. Those two pieces of advice, I feel, are a good grounding for self-defense.

Edited by lionfamily1999

My dd and I just got our orange belts in kajukenpo, a combat/street fighting form of reality martial arts which is heavily based on self defense. We have been training in it for about a year.

Now that I have my orange belt, the instructor wants to train me so I can get certified to teach women's self defense classes, since he can't keep up with the demand. As has been mentioned, 80-90% of self defense comes from knowledge and awareness of how to stay out of dangerous situations. The other, much smaller portion, should be focused on very basic, easy to remember and use actions. These actions should be ones that come very naturally and not ones that require much in the way of ongoing practice (which most people don't have time to do).

A side note, one of the first things I was taught is that a groin strike should NOT be your main and only plan for keeping yourself safe. I have heard so many women say, "I would just use my knee and run away." The criminals have heard this also, and most will now attack from a direction from which you cannot use your knee effectively. If this is your plan, please take a class from a certified self defense instructor and expand your options for survival!

I agree.

I think there are different aspects to this topic. The most beneficial things I learned from one series of classes (vs. keeping up a martial art) was more general safety related. That I listened to because it wasn't a droning litany from my parent. ;)

Things like:

Pay attention to how the blinds are turned.

Carry your keys in hand, ready to slash with. Go for soft body parts and get away, don't check on them or feel bad.

Walk confidently and pay attention to your surroundings. Park near a parking lot light. Don't bury your head in your headphones.

Don't go with an attacker with the hopes of keeping them non-violent. If you get hurt in a parking lot, at least someone can help you. If they get you off by yourself......

How to go out safely. Use the buddy system. Never accept an opened drink.

I agree.

I think there are different aspects to this topic. The most beneficial things I learned from one series of classes (vs. keeping up a martial art) was more general safety related. That I listened to because it wasn't a droning litany from my parent. ;)

Things like:

Pay attention to how the blinds are turned.

Carry your keys in hand, ready to slash with. Go for soft body parts and get away, don't check on them or feel bad.

Walk confidently and pay attention to your surroundings. Park near a parking lot light. Don't bury your head in your headphones.

Don't go with an attacker with the hopes of keeping them non-violent. If you get hurt in a parking lot, at least someone can help you. If they get you off by yourself......

How to go out safely. Use the buddy system. Never accept an opened drink.

Lol, my first driving lesson from Dad was how to carry my keys so I was armed like Wolverine :lol:

That last one is SO important. I'm always amazed at how happy and willing people will take drinks from strangers.

ETA, I didn't mean to imply that kicking someone in the groin should be a go-to. I know from experience that there can be a measure of concern (I don't want to hurt them! or That wouldn't be fair!) even while a person is being victimized. At that moment, when I remembered what my dad said and threw consideration out the window (and my fingers up his nose :p), that's when I saved myself. Kicking someone in the groin, for some, is the epitome of line-crossing. Well, when you're attacked, there is no line anymore. Ram your fingers up their nose, kick them in the face, and haul hiney out of there.

Edited by lionfamily1999

Well, the other thing is -- don't fight for your wallet. Your wallet can be replaced. Your life can't.

We do occasional knife training (with wooden knives, lol) in my aikido class, and if it's taught me anything at all, it's how one slip-up can be fatal. If someone shows me a knife and demands my wallet, I don't care how many knife disarms I've practiced, he can have it.

OTOH, if someone demands that I get into his car, I'm running if I can and fighting if I can't.

I took a self-defense class in college, and I used it outside of the class twice. Once to escape a man who grabbed me when I was walking just off campus, I got away and reported him. He was later caught, but only after he had raped another student. And once when I was shopping late at night and the dad of one of the kinders in my class decided to grab my shoulder instead of calling my name to greet me. Unfortunately, I flattened him. In the grocery store. I whirled around, yelling, and hit him in the chest with my small shopping basket. Groceries went flying and store clerks came running. He was always careful to call out a greeting from my classroom doorway after that.

My dd carries (17) pepper spray on her key ring and dh showed her how to use it in the backyard.

My three younger children all take Tae Kwon Do and they practice every week how to break holds by adults, how to behave around aggressive dogs, how to defend yourself against bullying, etc. Getting away safely is emphasized.

Once a year the young women of our church (12-18 yo) have a 2 day course in self-defense that is put on by a two members of our congregation, one of whom is a police officer and the other is an FBI agent.

I can't watch the self defense classes because it makes me cry to think of any child in a situation where they would have to defend themselves from an adult. Yes, since becoming a parent I am a big, blubbering idiot.

Amber in SJ

Well, the other thing is -- don't fight for your wallet. Your wallet can be replaced. Your life can't.

We do occasional knife training (with wooden knives, lol) in my aikido class, and if it's taught me anything at all, it's how one slip-up can be fatal. If someone shows me a knife and demands my wallet, I don't care how many knife disarms I've practiced, he can have it.

OTOH, if someone demands that I get into his car, I'm running if I can and fighting if I can't.

:iagree: In every practice knife fight we have done in my martial arts classes someone gets (pretend) severely wounded, usually both people. But I would risk it rather than going off somewhere with an attacker - once they have you alone on their territory your odds of survival drop dramatically.

I have not taken a self defense class but I have learned from watching the kids in karate. They have to learn 30+ different defense techniques (choke hold, lapel grab, grabbed from behind, on the ground, etc.). Watching them & helping them learn them all has taught me a lot. I would be able to do some damage if I were ever attacked.

ETA, I think information, rather than "moves," is a better idea. If you want moves take martial arts (like so many pps already posted).

One of the things I took away from studing MMA, though, was a great sense of confidence. No one is going to intimidate me into going with him or getting into a car. When I'm walking somewhere at night that might be less than safe, I definitely give off a "you don't want to mess with me" vibe. And those are things that, statistically, better your chances.

I went to Europe between high school and college (including the Soviet Union), and then went to high school in a tough neighborhood in Northeast DC (and commuted to ROTC at another college in an only slightly less dangerous neighborhood through a really ...interesting part of town). So I spent the last part of my high school career involved heavily in self-defense classes.

Now, I'm studying TaeKwonDo with my children, and my primary instructor has a black belt in hapkido, so I'm learning all kinds of really cool self defense techniques.

I studied martial arts years and years ago, but the one thing I'll always remember is to "hit the first thing you see and hit it with everything you've got." Even in a panic, you can remember that "move."