Menu

WWYD? - Baking Question

My family has a chocolate cake recipe that is served at every family gathering. Either my mom or my aunt make the cake and they use margarine. I have made the cake before at my mom's house using her ingredients, but never on my own.

So I just learned that the cake is not being made for Thanksgiving and I am afraid there will be a revolt if it is not there, so I offered to make it.

Of course, I don't bake with margarine (ewwwww!). Can I substitute butter or will it affect the flavor/texture? I don't want the one year I make the cake to be the year that it tastes "different". WWYD?

Texas Sheet Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 t baking soda

1/2 t salt

2 eggs

1/2 cup sour cream

2 sticks margarine

1 cup water

1/4 cup cocoa powder

Combine first 4 ingredients and set aside. Bring water, margarine and cocoa to boil, while hot add to flour mixture. Add eggs, sour cream and mix well. Pour into large greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes. Ice while hot.

Icing

1 stick margarine, melted

4 T cocoa powder

1 box powdered sugar

3-4 T milk

1 t vanilla

1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Add cocoa to the melted margarine and then add the rest of the ingredients. Beat well and pour on hot cake.

The idea of me posting on a baking thread is almost as pathetic as posting on a science thread. But this is more of a question for others....

If op wants the least taste difference, would it be better to use salted or unsalted butter? (just curious)

Unsalted. I control the salt in my goodies--not the people who make the butter! :-)

ETA: Oh, misread your post. I don't know. I don't believe I've ever used margarine. Is it salted?

Know what I would do? I am a paranoid perfectionist. I would make a test cake this weekend to see how it tastes.

Oh, that is a good plan. Then you can invite all of us over to help you make sure it is up to snuff! :D

FTR- I have de-margarined several family recipes and have never heard a complaint. Good Luck!

I've eaten a ton of TSC, living in Texas for 8 years. It always seemed just a little less chocolately than I expected, but I loved it! Then I saw a TV show and changed my ways-- I finally made it with butter and oil, plus more cocoa, like this recipe:

Serves 24

Toast the pecans in a dry skillet over medium heat, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.

IngredientsCake2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 large eggs plus 2 yolks

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1/4 cup sour cream

8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

3/4 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup water

1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder

Chocolate Icing8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter

1/2 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

3 cups confectioners' sugar

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 cup toasted pecans, chopped

Instructions

1. For the cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 18- by 13-inch rimmed baking sheet. Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk eggs and yolks, vanilla, and sour cream in another bowl until smooth.

2. Heat chocolate, butter, oil, water, and cocoa in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Whisk chocolate mixture into flour mixture until incorporated. Whisk egg mixture into batter, then pour into prepared baking pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to wire rack.

3. For the icing: About 5 minutes before cake is done, heat butter, cream, cocoa, and corn syrup in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Off heat, whisk in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Spread warm icing evenly over hot cake and sprinkle with pecans. Let cake cool to room temperature on wire rack, about 1 hour, then refrigerate until icing is set, about 1 hour longer. (Cake can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.) Cut into 3-inch squares. Serve.

Timing is Everything

The key to perfectly moist Texas sheet cake is to let the warm icing soak into the hot cake. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, pour the warm icing over the cake and use a spatula to spread the icing to the edges of the cake. This creates the signature fudgy layer between the icing and the cake.

I vote you make this one this weekend and see if you like it better--I did, and I never thought I'd change my recipe!!

The idea of me posting on a baking thread is almost as pathetic as posting on a science thread. But this is more of a question for others....

If op wants the least taste difference, would it be better to use salted or unsalted butter? (just curious)

OP here...great question! I didn't even think of that.

:iagree:

Or use Earth Balance. It isn't yucky at all.

That's what I would suggest as well. Butter and margarine aren't alike structurally, so the substitution can effect the structure/texture of the finished product. (I have been explaining this to my mother about her failed recipes for decades.) Earth Balance is structurally margarine, but doesn't have the sketchy ingredients.