Menu

How much cheese do you buy in a month? (more)

My dh and boys love cheese and it does not stay long here. There are some meals that my oldest will only eat if he can pile on the cheese, chili, spaghetti, cowboy hash (a sort of potato based chili) Of course cheese has to be on every sandwich and for dh and one son it has to mixed in their scrambled eggs :rolleyes: The fav snack is hard cheeses and crackers with grapes. So lots and lots of cheese is eat here by those with testosterone I eat much less :001_smile:

We buy it pre-sliced at Costco in 2 lb bags roughly once a month. We typically buy 3 different flavors (cheddar, colby jack, and provolone or swiss). There are 5 of us. I didn't realize we've been eating 6-8 *pounds* of cheese per month.

We buy it pre-sliced at Costco in 2 lb bags roughly once a month. We typically buy 3 different flavors (cheddar, colby jack, and provolone or swiss). There are 5 of us. I didn't realize we've been eating 6-8 *pounds* of cheese per month.

That's about what we eat. That does not include sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, butter and milk. I feel like I must spend at least as much on dairy as meat and eggs. Glad we aren't the only ones.

UGH!! That reminds me I bought another big tub of cream cheese today and I forgot to buy bagels:banghead:

How much cheese do you buy in a month, what kinds, and how many people are you feeding?

I think our cheese consumption is waay too high, and I thought it'd be interesting to see what other families are like in that regard.

Thanks!

Just about every week I by about a pound of cheese -- we keep colby-jack and usually cheddar around for snacking or for quesadillas, and mozzarella, swiss or provolone in smaller quantities as needed for recipes... then we always have some parmesan in the fridge, usually a block of cream cheese in there somewhere, and DH likes his Kraft singles (Okay okay I eat them too... they make great grilled cheese sandwiches!).

We're big on dairy here... butter, cheese, milk, half-and-half, sour cream, yogurt. I guess we've pretty much ruled out lactose intolerance ;)

When DS was little, there was a high correlation between lack-of-protein (or other slow-to-digest foods) and meltdowns, so we started making sure he had a cheese or peanut butter snack between meals. We've cut back on sugar and white flour, and increased the fresh fruits and veggies, so I don't think we're out of balance.

We buy 2 lbs of cheddar a week along with 16 oz of American cheese, not to mention cream cheese. We steer away from milk because for some reason, when ds was a baby, we found that milk gave him ear infections but cheese did not. Our peditrician says it is because of the processing? So we just quite getting milk, he can have it now but we still don't get it very much because they don't miss it very much.

blessings

It depends on the price per pound. On a normal $3.50/pound for a 2lb bag for pre-shredded at WalMart (the cheapest non-sale price we can get around here), we get 1 2-lb bag of cheddar a month. We also spring for 1 lb of mozzarella and 1/2 lb feta every 2-3 months. When cheddar drops to $2 per pound on sale (shredded or not), I buy as much as I can afford and freeze it.

ETA: forgot to mention that there are 6 people in our family

That's about what we eat. That does not include sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, butter and milk. I feel like I must spend at least as much on dairy as meat and eggs. Glad we aren't the only ones.

UGH!! That reminds me I bought another big tub of cream cheese today and I forgot to buy bagels:banghead:

Glad to know I'm not alone :)

I was pleasantly surprised to see that although we eat a lot of cheese, we aren't way out of the park on cheese consumption. :D

I buy about 10 pounds of cheddar and about 3 pounds of cheese slices every month (for 7 of us). I also use some of that cheese to make meals for other people. It's not that I mind the price of cheese or other dairy products (look at my signature line to see why!), it's just that I think it's unhealthy to over-eat from any particular food category. Balance....I'm just seeking some balance. :001_smile:

I feel I must admit that I'm one of the biggest cheese fiends in our house.

I'd rather have a piece of cheese than almost any dessert, and I'd rather do without dinner than have my burger without cheese.:001_tt1:

-and don't get me started on those poor lactose-intolerant folks who have to eat their pizza without cheese. I think I'd die!

Thanks for participating in my decidedly frivolous question :)

What an absurd idea:)

We are all appropriate weights here, and I don't buy a lot of junk food, but I like cheese. We all like cheese. We don't eat a lot of meat (we eat some, but eat vegetarian probably 5 ngihts a week) and I think cheese is good food. It's a lot of calories per dollar:) Very efficient.

Err, too much? I have no idea how much it works out to each month but I always try to keep multiple types of cheese in ready supply. I mostly buy the large bags of shredded/big blocks from Costco.

At the moment I have... Shredded mozzarella, shredded mexican blend, large block of Pepper Jack, large block of aged English Cheddar, feta, goat cheese, cottage cheese, block of Parmesan, and just one small block of cream cheese.

Wow, that's a LOT of cheese! Now I want some :)

About....

1 lb Stilton/Gorgonzola (eaten primarily by my oldest daughter)

1 lb of a brie, usually artisan (for our monthly game day)

4-6 oz Parmigiana Reggiano

4-6 oz chevre

8 oz raw milk cheddar

4 x 2-4 oz ea varied cheeses (from the odds and ends bin)

Plus any cheese for specific recipes.

I buy about 4 lbs total of shredded moz and cheddar for pizza for the kids every month, a jar of parmesan (pizza and spag), pepper jack for nachos, a couple of jars of that cheese-whizzy pepper stuff for nachos, and Kraft American cheese for grilled cheese sandwiches and hamburgers. This is all kid food.

DH likes me to have a small block of cheddar for him to eat once in awhile.

I try not to eat dairy products, but if I must, I love havarti dill, gouda, edam and jarlsberg swiss cheeses. Once in awhile I buy one or two of those for myself.

We go through at least a pound of hard cheese a week, often more, and that's not counting cream cheese, parmesan, feta, goat cheese.... We cook vegetarian at home (I eat meat on occasion when out), and cheese is our dd's primary protein source. This is for a family of three.

Guest Virginia Dawn

I had to think hard about this one.

Cheese I buy regularly: American for dh, cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, mozarella, parmesan, and occasionally provolone.

We are a family of 6 and I buy between 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. of cheese a week.

So, yeah, that's 6-8 lbs. Wow.