Menu

What kind of non-stick skillet pan can I get that doesn't have Teflon?

I used my cast iron at our old house on the glass stove top with no problems. Unless you count my mil lecturing me a problem. :D She said something terrible could happen; I forget what. Something about water getting trapped between the pan and the stove top, and that cracking the stovetop maybe? I don't remember. I just know I love my cast iron pans, and I used 'em anyway. And nothing bad happened. :D I'm gonna google now and see what I can find about it...

Well, this made me pull out the stove instructions and it says it needs to be flat bottomed (which Le Crueset has those little ridges) and also that only certain types of glass, ceramic, earthenware or other glazed utensils are suitable w/out breaking due to the sudden change in temperature, and to check the manufacturer's recommendations. So that's not that helpful!

oh wait here's more-it says aluminum, copper, stainless steel, are ok. Cast iron-not recommended for use on ceramic cooktops. And porcelain-enamel on metal (is that Le Crueset?) the coating must be smooth to avoid scratching.

It is not the best quality stove-a Fridgidaire, but only about 5 yrs old.

Any more advice, based on this? :bigear:

A) what's wrong with non-stick pans? [is this one of those crockpot/microwave/flushot things?]

B) cast iron frying pans can't be washed? I'm trying to imagine that…don't they need cleaning after having stuff cooked in them? (i've never had one)

We just wipe ours out with hot water. If you strip all the oil off of them, the non-stick quality doesn't work.

I can't use Le Crueset on my glass stovetop, aluminum still sticks too much for me. I want a non-stick that works like Teflon but w/out the chemicals!!!! HELP!

I have a glass top and I use Le Crueset. I can't see why it would be a problem. I've been doing it for years.

I will never go back. I adore Le Crueset. It is infinitely better in every way than any other pans or pots I have used.

Another vote for using everything on a glasstop. Although, I hate my range so take that with a grain of salt. But yes, I've even used a pressure canner on my glasstop without a problem.

I also use soap on my cast iron too though. I just reseason it if it needs it. :001_smile:

And a I have a couple of nonstick but not TEFLON frying pans by Green PAn. I got mine from Macy's but I saw them at Target recently.

I know my sister did research and picked Calphlon because unlike other non-stick it doesn't give off some kind of potentially toxic fume. She has pet birds and other non-stick were not considered safe for them.

I wonder if anyone has researched cast-iron thoroughly. I remember people used to buy old cast iron, because it wasn't made anymore. Once it became popular, they began making it again. I wonder if they are as good as the old ones or if they are like so many things - shoddy and cheap.

For those of you that use Green Pans-this is along the lines of what I'd like to get! How is the non-stick feature? I see on Target.com someone said it sticks terribly, even with oil? Have you been pleased with it?

I have two of these pans given to me as gifts - and they work great! I haven't had problems with sticking at all. And you aren't even supposed to use as much oil.

However, I don't use them for eveything. I just have a medium and small size pan. Eggs, sauteeing veggies is what I use them for most.

The non-stick surface is very smooth - there's been no knicks or worn spots that I've gotten on teflon or other non-stick pans.