Menu

U.S. States

RainbowSprinkles

I'm not in the camp that believes in big state studies, so you may get very different advice elsewhere, but I think just playing games like Scrambled States, reading books, keeping a map handy and referencing it whenever you read about places, specifically reading about other regions, maybe playing Go Fish with a double set of state flashcards, doing a postcard exchange, and so forth, are all good on the side ways to do the states.

We used several different things, but the favorite with the kids was the history channels The States DVD Set http://shop.history.com/detail.php?p=70012&SESSID=23ea5167f4efa28798995ef0366ba838&v=history. The can watch a short segment on each state. It details history, famous people and landmarks, and interesting facts about each state. I learned a lot as well. HTH:001_smile:

Sleeping Bear Press have a lovely range of books for each state and countries. They are "alphabet books" as there is something for each letter; a simple rhyme for the younger child and a side text of info for the older child. There are questions at the end of the book. Don't be put off by the "alphabet book" title and picture book appearance as there is lots to learn in these books; a bit like Lets Read and Find Out Science books, I always come away learning a lot too.:D

My kids are almost 10, 8 and 5 so these are perfect for a range of ages reading and learning together.

I found the "Which way USA" books cheap at our local thrift store, and DD is happily going through them as "stuff to do while waiting" activities. I figure it's a good supplement to our US history study this year.

I got this and the one for the countries (secret agent) from highlights but my ds isn't into them.....

We enjoyed using the States and Capitals set from Memoria Press last year. You can use the book they recommend, or any book about the 50 states. We also had fun with some apps on the ipod/ipad, such as; Stack the States, US Geography by Discovery Education, and The States by Moatkin Systems.

I'm not in the camp that believes in big state studies, so you may get very different advice elsewhere, but I think just playing games like Scrambled States, reading books, keeping a map handy and referencing it whenever you read about places, specifically reading about other regions, maybe playing Go Fish with a double set of state flashcards, doing a postcard exchange, and so forth, are all good on the side ways to do the states.

We actually already have the Scrambled States game, I will have to go find it. Thanks for mentioning it! I also have an U.S. atlas from Rand McNally I just remembered.

A postcard exchange sounds awesome! How would I get that started?

We actually already have the Scrambled States game, I will have to go find it. Thanks for mentioning it! I also have an U.S. atlas from Rand McNally I just remembered.

A postcard exchange sounds awesome! How would I get that started?

We did one through another forum at some point, but I've also seen them organized through Yahoo Groups and other places. It was really cool. We bought a dozen postcards of DC, filled them all in with a bunch of random stuff about life here (the kids were smaller so I did the writing for them), then I printed one of those huge US maps from Owl and Mouse and we stuck postcards up as we got them. It was super fun.

My younger would love to do a postcard exchange with people from other states! We can include interesting facts about FLorida on our card, and like farrarwiliams suggested, we'd put pins in a map when we received cards.

If someone organizes this, let me know :tongue_smilie:

Well, I absolutely love the Ten Days in _________ series. It's really helped me with my geography--I play it with my husband occasionally. And my oldest son has certainly enjoyed playing with us, too. Ten Days in the U.S.A. costs about $20.00 from Amazon.

Of course, this is more to help learn geographical location than anything, although the cards do include capitals. It doesn't help learn any of those extras you were talking about, though.

NOTE: I have not actually played Ten Days in the U.S.A. yet, although my husband did purchase a copy. We've only played the Africa version. My understanding is that they're all very similar, though.

DS 7 just started working on a 50 States Notebook, per his request. I was planning to do something later, but he was so gung-ho we started it early. :D I made a notebook page (well, 2 pages) that can be adapted for each state. We're also using the state coloring pages from the Crayola website--I copy/paste a smaller version on one of the NB pages. We have a set of state flashcards that has most of the info, and we google for anything else (i.e., state tree) that's not included. I'm also checking to see if there are any good books about each state at the library (picture books). We have a reference-type book, but it's pretty dry, and he's not too interested in it. He's also learning a 50 states song.

The Sheppard's software games that the pp posted are great--my boys love them! Both boys could recognize and name many states just from playing those before we did anything formal at all. We also play a good bit of the Scrambled States game.

If you're interested in the notebooking pages, I'd be happy to e-mail them to you.

I host a group of kids twice a month. We have learned about different countries in the past, but this year we are tackling the states. In order to get them all in, I have divided the country up by regions. At our first meeting of the month we talk about the region and the states and do a fun craft or game. Last time we did a state fact scavenger hunt. Then I assign a state to each family. Each child researches the state and gives a short presentation at our next meeting. The kids ages vary so we have everything from simple poster boards to powerpoints. Every family also brings a traditional food from their state and we end up sampling a lot of great food:). I have been hosting the group for 3 years now and ithas grown to almost 20 kids (yup, I'm insane as we do it all at my house). Anyway, it's been a fun way to learn geography, researching, and public speaking all in a two hour block twice a month.

Well, I absolutely love the Ten Days in _________ series. It's really helped me with my geography--I play it with my husband occasionally. And my oldest son has certainly enjoyed playing with us, too. Ten Days in the U.S.A. costs about $20.00 from Amazon.

Of course, this is more to help learn geographical location than anything, although the cards do include capitals. It doesn't help learn any of those extras you were talking about, though.

NOTE: I have not actually played Ten Days in the U.S.A. yet, although my husband did purchase a copy. We've only played the Africa version. My understanding is that they're all very similar, though.

I played this for the first time last night with my 10 and 9 yo's. They did very well. It took a couple times for them to get the hang of it but then they didn't want to stop playing.

I also LOVE this book. It has been a really fun way to learn about each state and where it's located. It's helped even my kids memorize and remember the states.

I am not sure what ages you are looking for but I just recently bought this U.S. geography curriculum. I am also using this book. I got it from the library and liked it so much I bought it.

I made my own notebooking pages that we work though at our own pace. We don't follow her curriculum but I use her info pages and lapbooking components for my dd that likes to lapbook.

The Road Trip pages and the Wish You Were Here book are the only 2 things we use for geography. I didn't want them to just learn the state names and capitals but what the states were like and some things they are famous for.

Cooking Up US History is a fav around here. The first edition is the one I've seen, but the second looks fine, too. I found it at my library.

You can skip the history and just talk about the regions, do a map of the regions, and memorize the states/capitals. (And do the recipes, of course!) I like to add in some online stuff (like the forementioned seterra) and a few videos about Nat'l parks.

There are absolutely tons of resources here: http://www.squidoo.com/50statesnotebook

State flag coloring pages here: http://www.apples4theteacher.com/usa-states/state-flags.html

We've enjoyed this book: http://www.amazon.com/Smart-About-Fifty-States-History/dp/0448431319/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1319525142&sr=1-1

We have a puzzle that has the pieces cut on the state lines similar to this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2326654

Scrambled States of America is fun (books and video, don't have the game yet, ordering it soon, I think).

Stack the States, though, is by far our favorite. DS (just turned 6) has learned all 50 states as well as plenty of random facts about each state just by playing a few minutes a day.

As a little supplement to whatever you decide, consider letting the kids collect the state quarters. My ds (5) LOVES finding new state quarters & putting them in his collection book, which he got as a gift. When we put a quarter in the book, we locate the state, find on the quarter the year it became a state, and discuss why the picture on the back of the quarter was chosen for that state. Sometimes we'll pull out our book about states for further discussion. And family & friends now love to bring him a quarter when they visit -- much better than another toy to clutter the house.

Also, we're making a list of different license plates we see when we're driving. Again, each time one is found & added to the list, it can be a point of discussion. You can even keep a map and/or book in the car for reference.

Good luck!

Kathleen

We use Road Trip USA from The Confession of a Homeschooler's blog. At first it was super exciting for us all. We were doing it EVERYDAY and it's really not a realistic expectation in our homeschool day with all the other subjects we have and a totboy that doesn't want to be left out. I broke it up where we learn 1 state a week and review. Now it works out better for us.