Menu

s/o of an old thread: Why not missions trips?

:bigear:

Just curious. Awhile back, someone asked about missions trips for young teens. A lot of the replies were 'absolutely not'. I'm just curious about why, and if it would be different for older teens. And what about adults? (Not from a permission standpoint, but would YOU go on one?)

Some had also mentioned they weren't fans of missions trips. I'm just curious as to why. :)

I would not let my young teen go on a mission trip without a parent, however I have no problem with a teen of 16 or so going on one with responsible adults. Mission trips are a huge part of our church, and we even have a sister church on the other side of the world and many long term missionaries around the world as well. One day I would like to go on a short term mission trip, however right now at this point in my life I will not because of family health concerns.

I went on a mission trip to India as a young teenager. While we did do some service projects, there was plenty of evangelizing. As an adult, I look back and consider myself a naive wealthy (by comparison) twit trying to change the ancient religion and rich traditions of adults half a world away. It just strikes me as horribly presumptuous.

That's a complicated question. My experience with mission trips as a teenager was that we were a burden on the hosting group and we really didn't do much to actually help the people we were there to serve. Also, as Americans we run the risk of importing our culture more than communicating our faith.

I'm talking about short term missions.

I went on a mission trip to India as a young teenager. While we did do some service projects, there was plenty of evangelizing. As an adult, I look back and consider myself a naive wealthy (by comparison) twit trying to change the ancient religion and rich traditions of adults half a world away. It just strikes me as horribly presumptuous.

:iagree: I run into this with people who go to other cultures to evangelize Christians from ancient traditions. They are often embarrassed when they find out that I am a part of the church they are trying to evangelize.

I went on a mission trip to Papua New Guinea for two months when I was sixteen. We went deep into the jungle and built a school. It was hard work, I got pretty sick, but we stayed in one village and really connected with them. Frankly where we were the men sat around all day long while the women worked...the schoolhouse probably wouldn't have gone up unless someone came in to help them. It was a growing experience. I went with 25 teenagers and 5 adults. I knew none of them.

Looking back now, I'd rather my kids go with me, my husband or a trust friend who is an adult. For one, I want to be able to have deep discussions on a spiritual level with my kids while on the ground to make sure they understand what they are doing there. I didn't really have that because I didn't know the adults in my group. But it did teach me about being a humanitarian and to have a global servant minded focus. So I think it was a good thing.

Now I just got home a few weeks ago from Sierra Leone, West Africa. This was completely different than the trip I went on to PNG. I again went with a group of people I didn't know but we were all adults. And we all had a connection there because we all helped sponsor kids at an orphanage there started by the ministry we traveled with. We already had deep connections with the kids there (we had been skyping with the kids). And because we came we were able to help the staff out with repair projects they didn't have time to do and we got to take the kids and staff to do fun things they can't normally do without the $$ and extra adults to keep an eye on the kids (like a day of fun and icecream out in the community, or swimming at a nice beach- which was the highlight of everyone's week). We also are developing ties in the community and went and served at a local children's hospital and a slum community there. It was much more spiritual and intense for me. And I felt good about it because I didn't just go, love on some orphans and leave them never to talk to them again thereby causing more abandonment issues. I came home and just talked last week on skype with our sponsor son. And I send letters and pictures to many of the kids there. And I'm facebook friends with several of the national leaders in the ministry. Also, my husband and I are already planning to go back next spring.

I guess all that to say, if you go....develop a relationship with the people you are going to serve. Don't go in, impose your culture on them, and leave. Like Missionary Tourists. Instead go in humbly, seek to learn about them, show them you care because that's how they see the face of Jesus, and when you return...stay connected with them. Show them that THEY matter to you.

My oldest went on a mission trip when he was 16. I'd send him again. My 14dd was offered the chance to go to Mexico. We aren't letting her because of her age, and I'm concerned about safety.

I don't have a problem with mission trips when age appropriate and safe. I don't think my ds really ministered to anyone, but he learned a lot and gained a new perspective on another country. To us it was worth it.

In our church we do long term mission when the guys are 19 and girls 21. I admire those that do short term mission trips but I often wonder how much money and expense for travel would have been better served sending aid to those nations.

I hear this a lot and this is my two cents on it. Yes you could send the money in and help but once you send that amount, it is gone. But if you go, you show them that they, the people, matter to you and in turn you build more trust with them. Life is about relationships. And by going, if you are doing your part...you will return home and share with those around you how they can be a part of this mission. And so they start supporting financially and by going and they come home and tell others who then learn about the needs and they can help. It ripples outward until more aid is going in than just the amount you originally sent. For some reason, people are more apt to give and be a part of something if they know someone who was there first hand.

For instance, I came home and shared my testimony and within my own church quite a few are now sponsoring kids at the orphanage and/or financially helping the costs to run the orphanage and at least two people want to go themselves. And I know when they come back, they'll affect people I can't reach and more people will be led to help sponsor and so the cycle goes.

Our church begins with service to our local community. Our young people serve at a homeless shelter, take food to people who are ill, as well as other local service projects. A couple of times a year, they go to another city or nearby state to serve. In every case, they do hard work rebuilding homes, cleaning abandoned sites, etc. As of now, no overseas or expensive trips have been planned. The kids are been mentored to serve wherever there are needs, beginning at home. The emphasis is on serving, not having fun. The youth ministers do include some down time and fun activities but they are few compared to the work the kids complete.

In some churches I've attended over the years, teen mission trips were expensive vacations. I've heard several parents say they were excited that their kids saw "real" poverty oversees and came home feeling grateful for all they had. Usually the kids spent a few days serving and several more days having fun. The costs of these mission trips were high. Most of these churches did not have regular local service projects for teens.

I'm not against short term missions but the trips should be for real service.

I believe we should go to work, come home broken by the hurt of others and determined to serve Jesus with all he's given us. Being grateful is nice but not enough.

Having said all this, I am very aware that an individual or church may be called by the Holy Spirit for a unique mission that could be expensive but in general, I believe mission work should start at home in the local and nearby communities, especially for teens.

Ann

:iagree: I went to a different location, but this was my perspective later on as well. As I matured and grew I saw our actions differently and I now believe that it is wrong, arrogant and presumptious to assume that MY lifestyle, MY culture and MY religion are better than someone else's. :001_huh:

That's a complicated question. My experience with mission trips as a teenager was that we were a burden on the hosting group and we really didn't do much to actually help the people we were there to serve. Also, as Americans we run the risk of importing our culture more than communicating our faith.

that is my thoughts also

they also seem to sell vacation to get the teens to go -- i have to question the actual USE or SERVICE

I went on a mission trip to Papua New Guinea for two months when I was sixteen. We went deep into the jungle and built a school. It was hard work, I got pretty sick, but we stayed in one village and really connected with them. Frankly where we were the men sat around all day long while the women worked...the schoolhouse probably wouldn't have gone up unless someone came in to help them. It was a growing experience. I went with 25 teenagers and 5 adults. I knew none of them.

Looking back now, I'd rather my kids go with me, my husband or a trust friend who is an adult. For one, I want to be able to have deep discussions on a spiritual level with my kids while on the ground to make sure they understand what they are doing there. I didn't really have that because I didn't know the adults in my group. But it did teach me about being a humanitarian and to have a global servant minded focus. So I think it was a good thing.

Now I just got home a few weeks ago from Sierra Leone, West Africa. This was completely different than the trip I went on to PNG. I again went with a group of people I didn't know but we were all adults. And we all had a connection there because we all helped sponsor kids at an orphanage there started by the ministry we traveled with. We already had deep connections with the kids there (we had been skyping with the kids). And because we came we were able to help the staff out with repair projects they didn't have time to do and we got to take the kids and staff to do fun things they can't normally do without the $$ and extra adults to keep an eye on the kids (like a day of fun and icecream out in the community, or swimming at a nice beach- which was the highlight of everyone's week). We also are developing ties in the community and went and served at a local children's hospital and a slum community there. It was much more spiritual and intense for me. And I felt good about it because I didn't just go, love on some orphans and leave them never to talk to them again thereby causing more abandonment issues. I came home and just talked last week on skype with our sponsor son. And I send letters and pictures to many of the kids there. And I'm facebook friends with several of the national leaders in the ministry. Also, my husband and I are already planning to go back next spring.

I guess all that to say, if you go....develop a relationship with the people you are going to serve. Don't go in, impose your culture on them, and leave. Like Missionary Tourists. Instead go in humbly, seek to learn about them, show them you care because that's how they see the face of Jesus, and when you return...stay connected with them. Show them that THEY matter to you.

That sounds awesome! :)

My oldest went on a mission trip when he was 16. I'd send him again. My 14dd was offered the chance to go to Mexico. We aren't letting her because of her age, and I'm concerned about safety.

I don't have a problem with mission trips when age appropriate and safe. I don't think my ds really ministered to anyone, but he learned a lot and gained a new perspective on another country. To us it was worth it.

This is what I have found a lot of the time - that those who go on trips come back changed, many times more than they actually changed life for someone else (though, many times, service projects and the like DO provide a lot of change for people - I'm talking more evangelizing-type 'change'). I don't see why, as long as they are actually going over and DOING something, that isn't ok. I'm really glad that your DS had a good experience with it!

Our church begins with service to our local community. Our young people serve at a homeless shelter, take food to people who are ill, as well as other local service projects. A couple of times a year, they go to another city or nearby state to serve. In every case, they do hard work rebuilding homes, cleaning abandoned sites, etc. As of now, no overseas or expensive trips have been planned. The kids are been mentored to serve wherever there are needs, beginning at home. The emphasis is on serving, not having fun. The youth ministers do include some down time and fun activities but they are few compared to the work the kids complete.

In some churches I've attended over the years, teen mission trips were expensive vacations. I've heard several parents say they were excited that their kids saw "real" poverty oversees and came home feeling grateful for all they had. Usually the kids spent a few days serving and several more days having fun. The costs of these mission trips were high. Most of these churches did not have regular local service projects for teens.

I'm not against short term missions but the trips should be for real service.

I believe we should go to work, come home broken by the hurt of others and determined to serve Jesus with all he's given us. Being grateful is nice but not enough.

Having said all this, I am very aware that an individual or church may be called by the Holy Spirit for a unique mission that could be expensive but in general, I believe mission work should start at home in the local and nearby communities, especially for teens.

Ann

I do agree that missions should start at home. Our youth group alternates trips in and out of country each year. Our church itself goes on multiple missions trips each year - a lot of them involve building schools, homes, and the like in other nations. But yes, I do definitely think that, as a whole, we should not view missions as something to do once a year or when we go somewhere - it should be where we are. Service should be where we are. I definitely get that! :)

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, but how much did the out of country missions trips run? I'm just curious. I know that sometimes they can be quite pricey, but with travel and the like... Idk. I guess to me, $1000-1200 is really expensive, and any more than that and kids wouldn't really be able to go. (Usually a missions trip is only about 25 people anyway). Are you talking more than that? If so... :svengo:

Idk, maybe the trips we do would be considered to be more vacation-y. We went to NYC this summer, it was my first missions trip - up until now, the kids were too small and the ability just wasn't there. But we drove up on Sunday, did some sightseeing on Monday (Statue of liberty, Ellis Island, Canal St. :lol: , Times Square, and the Empire State Building), and then Tuesday-Saturday afternoon we did service work with the NY Dream Center. We had a little down time here and there - Thursday evening we went to ground zero and wall street, and Saturday evening we went back to Times Square to do whatever. Sunday morning we attended their church service and headed home after. The trip was comparably cheap, though, and was in country, which is nice since I don't have a passport yet. :D I do kind of want to go to Ecuador, where we do a lot of other missions trips, as well. DH went to Haiti to build houses in February. I would like for our kids to start going on missions trips as soon as they are old enough. I would really like to do one of the trips with Compassion, where I visit Thailand, where our girl lives. (Our girl we sponsor, I mean). Maybe someday, if I get the opportunity. :)

Anyway, I'm really finding all of this interesting. I do hope that the vacation for wealthy teens aspect isn't the norm... :glare:

I do hope that the vacation for wealthy teens aspect isn't the norm... :glare:

I don't think it is the norm. Do teens really minister to other people deeply? No, probably not. They can build relationships though with people from other countries, and experience a culture outside of their own. My ds is still in contact with numerous kids in this other country. He wants to go back someday. He also worked hard to earn half of the money. We don't regret it.

Teens that go to other countries to work with other people or build community bonds make these trips different than just visiting and seeing the sights as one would for a vacation. :001_smile:

I think there can be a lot of benefit in mission trips. Our very large church sends people to a number of places every year. Also, twice a year or more, large groups go to an impoverished area in Mexico to build houses. They also gather teams of medical professionals to provide health care in the slums of Nairobi every summer.

I'm currently praying about going on a trip next year to a developing country. I'll be going to an informational meeting in a few weeks. I don't know yet exactly what I'd be doing.

Wendi

I would not go on a mission trip and neither would any of my kids, of any age, unless we felt Jesus telling us to minister in a specific way to a specific people group. Period.

A specific calling and desire is what I feel is missing from the vast majority of mission trips. Opportunities arise all the time as someone else (a church or other group we belong to) decides that a mission trip is needed. But is it needed by ME as part of my relationship with and obedience to Christ?

This isn't to say that someone's heart will not be changed in the *process* of going on mission, but if I am 1) not already on mission where I am at, in my own community and sphere of influence, and 2) called to love, serve, help and reach a specific group that God has placed on my heart, then I think the people on the receiving end of those manufactured opportunities are not getting the BEST of me, nor the best of Christ for that matter. I don't want anyone to be part of a faith experiment for me because they deserve more.

Edited by 6packofun

I think missions trips are a great experience for everyone.

My children have both been on several already. They've gone 5-7 times to Mexico with their Dad to build loft houses for the poor and to help make repairs on a home for severely handicapped children.

My husband went to Malawi when he was a teen and helped build a church.

I went to Egypt when I was 16yo and helped run summer camps for orphaned children all summer.

I can't imagine how anyone would think a mission's trip is a vacation. Most missions trips have real honest-to-goodness hard work involved.

And yes, we proudly share the love of Jesus with everyone we meet, not to mention my 9yo single-handedly painted their porch last time they went.

My children have learned to feel compassion for those who live in poverty. They've learned to be thankful. They've learned that they can share their faith. They've learned that a good soccer game crosses all language barriers. LOL. They've learned they can make a difference.

And I think my children had plenty to offer the children they played with.

Edited by Daisy

I can't imagine how anyone would think a mission's trip is a vacation. Most missions trips have real honest-to-goodness hard work involved.

And yes, we proudly share the love of Jesus with everyone we meet.

My children have learned to feel compassion for those who live in poverty. They've learned to be thankful. They've learned that they can share their faith. They've learned that a good soccer game crosses all language barriers. LOL. They've learned they can make a difference.

:iagree:This is why.

I have mixed feelings on short-term missions.

First of all--I want to say that we have been missionaries full-time for 6 years in Guatemala. We work with Youth With a Mission and we host short-term teams as well as working with the impoverished here in our community.

I don't have a problem sharing my faith with people and we help anyone regardless of their religious persuasion. I would love them to know Jesus as I know Him but I also respect the beautiful parts of their culture. I'm not here to make them "western". I'm here to represent Jesus. I'm not arrogant about my beliefs. I'm humbled that God even uses me at all.

Anyway--we host several short-term teams a year and some are wonderful. Some are less than wonderful;). Bless their hearts!

Teams who come here to just serve and come alongside what we are doing (feeding the hungry; reaching out to impoverished children; constructing houses; digging wells) are wonderful. They are humble and teachable and don't have an agenda. They want to experience the culture and work with the people on their level.

Then there are those who come with their agenda. They don't listen to instruction of those who actually live here and work here because they think they know better. They criticize everything about the culture.

It starts with the leadership of the team. If the leadership is humble then it will be a positive experience for all involved. It's a good thing. They are a blessing to us and those we serve.

I think short-term missions is important but not necessarily imperative for teens who grow up in "western" cultures. It's awesome to have a global vision for what can happen once we all get involved in something bigger than ourselves.

I would not go on a mission trip and neither would any of my kids, of any age, unless we felt Jesus telling us to minister in a specific way to a specific people group. Period.

A specific calling and desire is what I feel is missing from the vast majority of mission trips. Opportunities arise all the time as someone else (a church or other group we belong to) decides that a mission trip is needed. But is it needed by ME as part of my relationship with and obedience to Christ?

This isn't to say that someone's heart will not be changed in the *process* of going on mission, but if I am 1) not already on mission where I am at, in my own community and sphere of influence, and 2) called to love, serve, help and reach a specific group that God has placed on my heart, then I think the people on the receiving end of those manufactured opportunities are not getting the BEST of me, nor the best of Christ for that matter. I don't want anyone to be part of a faith experiment for me because they deserve more.

I do agree with you. I don't go on all the missions trips we offer simply because they are offered - so I definitely can see where, in the one I have been on (as well as the one I'd like to go on) is something that I felt God was pushing me toward. So I guess, I say that I'll send my kids off as soon as I can on a trip, but at the same time, I won't make them if they have no interest. We had a kid with us on the last one who I think had no interest in coming - just that his parents made him go. He was a bit of a pain the entire trip! :tongue_smilie: So I definitely think it's important to take into account the child's interest level!

Everyone seems to be referencing big foreign trips. As a kid, my church always did mission trips much closer to home. We had one to Baltimore I went on where we worked with a store front inner city church and soup kitchen doing grunt work and helped build a Habitat house. We slept on the floor of another church. It was mostly work but there were a couple of fun outings - to a baseball game and to the aquarium. Overall, it was a good experience that I'm glad I had - and one where we were very welcome and did work that needed to be done.

My children have both been on several already. They've gone 5-7 times to Mexico with their Dad to build loft houses for the poor and to help make repairs on a home for severely handicapped children.

My husband went to Malawi when he was a teen and helped build a church.

I went to Egypt when I was 16yo and helped run summer camps for orphaned children all summer.

And yes, we proudly share the love of Jesus with everyone we meet, not to mention my 9yo single-handedly painted their porch last time they went.

I used to feel this way, but reading the book When Helping Hurts last year really changed my perspective. Now I'll be EXTREMELY selective when choosing to invest in short-term (less than 2 year) missionaries.

I highly recommend this book for every Christian. Completely revolutionized my thinking on so many levels. We have made it required reading for the school we founded.

My guys go on mission trips with their local youth group from as soon as they are eligible age-wise (13) and I have no regrets at all. They've been to domestic mission trips (assisting with hurricane cleanup) and to Jamaica (invited there by a group with the same organization). On all of the trips they've worked doing selected projects vetted by churches in the area (meaning for people who really needed the help according to local residents).

It's opened up their eyes to the massive damage mother nature can do and the benefits of people everywhere coming to help when local people just can't do it all themselves.

It's opened up their eyes to how a major part of the world lives (not first world).

It's given them compassion and a good work ethic. They also have had some experience doing the various work things they did (drywall, electric, mudding out places, etc).

I have absolutely no regrets - nor do they - but I wouldn't let them go on just "any" mission trip. We stick with a group we know and that they have experience with.

In the end, my oldest plans to work overseas helping alleviate poverty through microfinance.

My middle son wants to become a doctor and volunteer - or possibly work entirely - with medical missions.

My youngest plans to work overseas studying ethnobotany (how people use plants).

I wonder if they would even have a concept of these jobs if they'd stayed in their "own world" all the time.

I used to feel this way, but reading the book When Helping Hurts last year really changed my perspective. Now I'll be EXTREMELY selective when choosing to invest in short-term (less than 2 year) missionaries.

I highly recommend this book for every Christian. Completely revolutionized my thinking on so many levels. We have made it required reading for the school we founded.

FWIW, I love this book and my oldest studies with the authors at Covenant College. Last time we met one of the authors he told us this is one area he would change if/when he updates the book. He now feels there is a need for short term missions on the part of opening the eyes of those of us not in third world countries. He still feels the projects should be carefully checked out and it's wise to use the recommendations in the book, but he's definitely not as "against" them as he was when he wrote the book.

FWIW, I love this book and my oldest studies with the authors at Covenant College. Last time we met one of the authors he told us this is one area he would change if/when he updates the book. He now feels there is a need for short term missions on the part of opening the eyes of those of us not in third world countries. He still feels the projects should be carefully checked out and it's wise to use the recommendations in the book, but he's definitely not as "against" them as he was when he wrote the book.

How cool that your son studies under them!!! I agree with all of your other reasons. My dh is currently overseas on a mission trip. We skyped last night and he looked really tired. This is the first one where he has been operating and really using his surgical skills. In August he and the boys went to Ecuador. It opened my boys' eyes to conditions around the world. They were doing manual, maitenance work and painting. They got to meet a bunch of full time missionary doctors and their families and learn what they do. My oldest was only 13 when he went to serve with dh and me in Ethiopia. Before that trip, he was your typical straining the boundries, I'm so mistreated young man. All of his complaining ceased after that trip. He realized how many things we take for granted.

That said, I don't know that any of my kids except my youngest would go into mission work. She has a definite interest.

I'm working and our church has begun to try to work in missions closer to home. My daughter and I have been volunteering at a food pantry.

Just my thoughts.

Christine

My oldest was only 13 when he went to serve with dh and me in Ethiopia. Before that trip, he was your typical straining the boundries, I'm so mistreated young man. All of his complaining ceased after that trip. He realized how many things we take for granted.

Christine

This happened with all three of my boys too.

I'm glad your dh is able to be helping. Middle son would love to be just like him once he's a doctor (assuming he sticks with wanting to be a doctor and doesn't switch to medical research once he's in college).

Reading When Helping Hurts was a main factor in oldest deciding to go to Covenant. He loves the philosophy of the book and since he wants to "do" something about poverty, it made sense to study under those he agrees with. It's a great read. He loves the college. It's small, but he likes that.

Yes, I agree that young people should start on helping in their own families first, then their own local community, before they go abroad. They should also learn the language, culture, literature, and history of that country before they go.

When in college, I went on a 'missions trip' with [well-known college Christian fellowship]-- it was a wonderful trip, but not really missions. The local people had no idea who we were or what we were coming to do or what our skills might be. They hoped for mature missionaries who could inspire their churches and bring in a lot of new people, whom they would disciple once we were gone. But we were just young & shy students who hardly could speak the language.

It was a very valuable experience, nonetheless, but it was a 'cross-cultural Christian experience,' not a 'missions trip.' We learned all the things that PPs have noted above.

I have a dear friend who is a priest in Africa. He emphasized to us that the churches there need to mature and be able to support themselves without relying on handouts. Is it possible that missions trips are keeping the churches from that? Or, are they helping the local churches mature? We Americans need to think about this.

I have a dear friend who is a priest in Africa. He emphasized to us that the churches there need to mature and be able to support themselves without relying on handouts. Is it possible that missions trips are keeping the churches from that? Or, are they helping the local churches mature? We Americans need to think about this.

Thank you, Little Nyssa. This is what I was feeling but couldn't put it into words.

In our church we do long term mission when the guys are 19 and girls 21. I admire those that do short term mission trips but I often wonder how much money and expense for travel would have been better served sending aid to those nations.

This. I think short term missions are an incredible waste of money and time, much of the time. There might be a rare teen for whom a lifelong passion is sparked, but much of what I have seen is busywork disguised as meeting the needs of others. Like painting a mural on a school wall or something.

You don't even want to get me started on what I think of "fund-raising" especially those form letters and shakedowns disguised as Meet and Greet coffees".. If God is sending you, God will provide your means, and he won't tell you to tell ME to do it. If God wants me to provide, He has been perfectly able to convey this to me in the past without someone's emotional manipulation, and will continue to do so.

[We have given a high percentage of income over the years, but never in response to manipulative tactics]

Ok, rant over. :)

Edited by TranquilMind

Wow, this thread has been eye-opening. When I was a Protestant, missions trips were just the thing to do. When you matured in the faith, you went on mission trips. Now that I am a Catholic, I am glad we didn't invest more into these trips because I believe they are leading people to the wrong answer anyway.

How cool that your son studies under them!!! I agree with all of your other reasons. My dh is currently overseas on a mission trip. We skyped last night and he looked really tired. This is the first one where he has been operating and really using his surgical skills. In August he and the boys went to Ecuador. It opened my boys' eyes to conditions around the world. They were doing manual, maitenance work and painting. They got to meet a bunch of full time missionary doctors and their families and learn what they do. My oldest was only 13 when he went to serve with dh and me in Ethiopia. Before that trip, he was your typical straining the boundries, I'm so mistreated young man. All of his complaining ceased after that trip. He realized how many things we take for granted.

That said, I don't know that any of my kids except my youngest would go into mission work. She has a definite interest.

I'm working and our church has begun to try to work in missions closer to home. My daughter and I have been volunteering at a food pantry.

Just my thoughts.

Christine

Now this sounds awesome. Your husband is modeling service to his kids and they are all working together, much unlike those "large teen groups descending for a week to paint a building and leave" missions that I've heard so much about and been hit to support.

We love our short term missionaries and suffer without them. They are *no* burden. We often need many hands to get work done and they make things possible that aren't otherwise possible.

We love our short term missionaries and suffer without them. They are *no* burden. We often need many hands to get work done and they make things possible that aren't otherwise possible.

Thank you for sharing that. I know everyone has an opinion, but as one that has also seen the benefit, I find the the absoluteness of some opinions here sad.

This. I think short term missions are an incredible waste of money and time, much of the time. There might be a rare teen for whom a lifelong passion is sparked, but much of what I have seen is busywork disguised as meeting the needs of others. Like painting a mural on a school wall or something.

You don't even want to get me started on what I think of "fund-raising" especially those form letters and shakedowns disguised as Meet and Greet coffees".. If God is sending you, God will provide your means, and he won't tell you to tell ME to do it. If God wants me to provide, He has been perfectly able to convey this to me in the past without someone's emotional manipulation, and will continue to do so.

[We have given a high percentage of income over the years, but never in response to manipulative tactics]

Ok, rant over. :)

Ok, I PROMISE I'm not trying to be mean or rude or snarky or anything! Here's my question: I needed $800 to go on my trip. I was given exactly that amount. My two biggest contributors I did not send letters to. One of my smaller contributors I also did not send a letter to. But the last 2, which provided my last $100, I did send letters to. Doesn't that speak to the effectiveness of the letters? What would have happened otherwise?

Glad to hear it!! :)

Thank you for sharing that. I know everyone has an opinion, but as one that has also seen the benefit, I find the the absoluteness of some opinions here sad.

I apologize for being harsh here myself. I was a little sensitive to the opinions, and while I have had a different experience, everyone is entitled to their own view. I think I am over sensitive today, so please forgive me.

Thanks for sharing from the "other" side. I know my guys have gone on trips where the host has invited the group and while they've painted things, not once have they painted a mural. Usually they're painting over drywall or concrete that was just put up. I can't speak for all mission trips.

Ok, I PROMISE I'm not trying to be mean or rude or snarky or anything! Here's my question: I needed $800 to go on my trip. I was given exactly that amount. My two biggest contributors I did not send letters to. One of my smaller contributors I also did not send a letter to. But the last 2, which provided my last $100, I did send letters to. Doesn't that speak to the effectiveness of the letters? What would have happened otherwise?

No, it doesn't speak to the effectiveness of the letters. It tells me that GOD gave you $700 while you got $100 yourself.;)

[Assuming here that you didn't simply pitch your large contributors verbally -instead of a letter - the same way, but that God encouraged someone to give you money, rather than you encouraging them.]

His method was more effective.

[Were the large contributors your parents and your grandparents or something like that? Curious?]

I just detest those letters and will not contribute where I am subjected to a canned pitch. Many of those organizations even provide the letter for you? I'm thinking, "Gee, God has moved you to do this great work for him, you believe, but you don't have one thing to say about it in your own?"

Edited by TranquilMind

I grew up in a Protestant church that was very focused on service. My father was president of Habitat for Humanity at that time. We started doing Habitat for Humanity workcamps every break. We went from a Boston suburb to Alphabet City, NY to demolish old buildings and repair buildings for low income families. We also served meals to the homeless. We stayed in my grandfather's church. It was an amazing experience for all of the kids. As a young teen I went on my first overseas trip to Peru. We built houses for 10 days and then toured for a few days. It absolutely changed the person I am today. For teenagers to have an experience in another part of the world is so life changing and invaluable. We continued to go abroad on Habitat workcamps every summer. Usually we went to India. Again we would build houses for a week or two and then tour for a few days. I ended up pursuing a degree in Indian studies and now live in India with my Indian husband!

I am sure my experience would have been different if it was an evangalism centered experience (I would not have liked that at all). In our case it was more a poverty and service centered experience.

No, it doesn't speak to the effectiveness of the letters. It tells me that GOD gave you $700 while you got $100 yourself.;)

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but the people who gave me most of the money knew I was going anyway (well, one of them - the largest contributor - wasn't 100% sure, but he asked if I was still thinking about it, and then handed me a check when I said I was planning to) - so I don't know how anyone else would have known, without me sending letters. I'm not trying to change your mind on the letters, I don't like getting them from just anyone myself (however, close friends/family members I don't mind - I wouldn't necessarily know there was a need if I didn't get the letter), I'm just saying that I don't see how I would have gotten the last $100 otherwise. Most people even in our church didn't realize I was going until the day we left. I didn't walk around announcing it to everyone. I honestly don't think anyone would have known, especially family, which were the last 2 contributors. I KNOW they wouldn't have known without letters. And yes, obviously I know God was who got me ALL the money, not just the $700 that didn't require letters. Clearly, since I received the EXACT amount I needed, it had NOTHING to do with me. But I do think that I am responsible for at least trying, and not just expecting $800 to fall into my lap. That would be pretty stupid on my part, honestly. :glare:

[Assuming here that you didn't simply pitch your large contributors verbally -instead of a letter - the same way, but that God encouraged someone to give you money, rather than you encouraging them.]

His method was more effective.

[Were the large contributors your parents and your grandparents or something like that? Curious?] My largest contributor was a good friend whom our family loves dearly. Second largest was DH - we aren't a 'separate finances' type family, so yes, the money was ours/mine to begin with, but it was money I had set aside for him to buy a PS3. He gave it to me for my trip instead, which I consider a sacrifice on his part, even though I'm sure many people find it stupid and whatnot. So I consider him the contributor of that. Within days of deciding to go I had $625. The last three (smallest) were grandparents, and great aunts and uncles.

I just detest those letters and will not contribute where I am subjected to a canned pitch. Many of those organizations even provide the letter for you? I'm thinking, "Gee, God has moved you to do this great work for him, you believe, but you don't have one thing to say about it in your own?"

I've never seen a letter provided for anyone. Maybe because we don't get many (I think we've gotten 3 over the course of our married, adult life so far), they just don't bother me. I don't necessarily find them effective, I'm not saying that I do - unless someone has some rich family who hands out money for any reason :lol: - my family isn't like that. But I do think that it is possible for them to serve a purpose. Like I said before, those last 2 contributors wouldn't have even known I was going otherwise. And why should I expect all the money to just come? I don't know, I really don't like that idea - just expecting money to fall into my lap without even trying to do anything for it. We have some people who go on missions trips and complain because they haven't raised any money, yet they haven't done anything to try and get any money! They haven't been saving any of their own money (which, in my case, wasn't possible anyway, and I'm sure that is the case with many others as well), they haven't been trying to get people to help them out by sending letters, they haven't been fund raising, doing any silly little fundraisers like bake sales or car washes, nothing. They are just sitting around on their lazy bums thinking that all the money they'll need will just show up one day without them lifting a finger. Honestly? That attitude REALLY ticks me off. So I have to do SOMETHING. I can't just sit and let the money come. I think it's disgusting to expect something like that. I've made myself mad just thinking about that sort of laziness...

:rant:

I grew up in a Protestant church that was very focused on service. My father was president of Habitat for Humanity at that time. We started doing Habitat for Humanity workcamps every break. We went from a Boston suburb to Alphabet City, NY to demolish old buildings and repair buildings for low income families. We also served meals to the homeless. We stayed in my grandfather's church. It was an amazing experience for all of the kids. As a young teen I went on my first overseas trip to Peru. We built houses for 10 days and then toured for a few days. It absolutely changed the person I am today. For teenagers to have an experience in another part of the world is so life changing and invaluable. We continued to go abroad on Habitat workcamps every summer. Usually we went to India. Again we would build houses for a week or two and then tour for a few days. I ended up pursuing a degree in Indian studies and now live in India with my Indian husband!

I am sure my experience would have been different if it was an evangalism centered experience (I would not have liked that at all). In our case it was more a poverty and service centered experience.

I think this sort of thing must make a big difference. We are often involved in service projects - feeding homeless, building things, etc - not just walking 'door to door' or down the street, whatever, and trying to 'win people to Jesus'. Not that it is impossible. I just think we need to serve people. And I wouldn't be comfortable with a solely evangelical trip either. :)