Menu

Where do these people come from?

At the ballpark yesterday, a mother tells me, "It sure is glad your boys play baseball, because, since you homeschool you never get to see anybody or go anywhere. This at least gives you somewhere to go and see people." :w00t:

My youngest ds was sitting on the cooler in front of me and I couldn't even answer her because of the funniest look on his face. I just knew, if I looked her way I would have to look at him which would make me bust out laughing. Where do these people come from??

At the ballpark yesterday, a mother tells me, "It sure is glad your boys play baseball, because, since you homeschool you never get to see anybody or go anywhere. This at least gives you somewhere to go and see people." :w00t:

My youngest ds was sitting on the cooler in front of me and I couldn't even answer her because of the funniest look on his face. I just knew, if I looked her way I would have to look at him which would make me bust out laughing. Where do these people come from??

There's no telling, I have been where you are! :001_smile:

when they turn to you after having a conversation with your (7-14) year-old about (current events, literary analysis, or the historical reasons for the civil war) and THEN ask the question!

My 28 year old sister lives in another country and has come for a visit. AFTER 2 days of discussing various favorite literature with my 9yo, she asks the "s" question. Hmmm... have you noticed a problem with her socialization?

(I also love that two of you mentioned being at a place where they are among friends when it is asked!)

when I was calling to take my dd in for testing that "You can come in to test anytime because you homeschool. You're always home, right?"

Can we be more literal here? LOL! I said I'd call back later to schedule, never did.

I think they really do think they are being helpful.:confused:

:iagree: Nevertheless, the lack of understanding never ceases to amaze me. The first time I ever heard about homeschooling, while listening to the radio back when I was single, the question of socialization never even entered my mind. But it was an honest concern of dh's--and once I did the research to assure him it was okay, he was fine with it.

My niece(age 10) and a little girl from church were playing at a family gathering with my boys(ages 11 and 12) at my in-laws and she mentioned that the girl was coming for a sleepover. My son who doesn't get into sleepovers(I personally think it is a girl thing!) asked something about what they were going to do and my niece looked over at the other girl and said, "They don't do sleepovers because they homeschool!!!"

So, these comments can come from family as well. Luckily, for my son, the other little girl said, "That's ok, J___...I love being at my own house too at bedtime!" I think that was the sweetest thing for her to do and she has also mentioned to my mother-in-law that my other son was awfully cute!! So, there!!

That is kinda funny:D

I swear they think we live in homeschool bunkers in the woods somewhere. At least we have nice shoes and crockpots!

I was just lectured about this by a coworker this week. "You know, the thing you'll really have to watch out for as a homeschooler is to make sure your kids have enough exposure to other kids." Sigh. I gave him my David Guterson argument ("Well, actually, it's kids in the public school setting should be more concerned with socialization. They're sequestered with 20-30 of their peers and limited, stunted interaction with a small group of adults. My kids interact with a wide range of ages, generations, and cultures in real-world setting.") He was reduced to stuttering for a second and then redirected the conversation. But then, he's the kind of guy you have to hit with both barrels or he won't go away. :glare:

Seriously, I usually just stare, dumbfounded, at these people. These conversations almost always take place with my kids running around with other kids at some or other group meeting, class, or event. And I'm usually exhausted anyway from keeping up with church events, 4H, girl scouts, county youth choir, cheerleading, spending the night at friends', and/or swim team! (Whew!)

I don't say this, because I'm far too polite. But I'd love to have the guts and ability to be this rude in response to socialization questions -- not to sweet, well-meaning people, of course:

"Your proctologist called. Your x-rays came back. He said to tell you he found your head."

Does this mean I'm poorly socialized?

RC

Well I have to apologize those are my relatives and I thought I had them locked up properly but obviously they escaped again.:lol: So apologize on behalf of my weird family, just look at them like they are idiots and tell them I am looking for them. :lol::lol::lol:

blessings

lori

I had that happen after church one day. There was a group of ladies discussing the latest bout with the flu. A bunch of kids had been out of school for a few days that week, and they were discussing their woes. I said, "I'm sorry that's happening. So far it hasn't gotten us, I hope it doesn't!" One of the ladies looked at me like I was stupid and said, "Well you HOMESCHOOL, so how would YOUR kids get it if they're not out with other kids or people?!" :glare: :tongue_smilie:Oh yeah, that's right my kids don't ever get out, well, except for choir practice, church, Friday night youth meeting, gymnastics, orchestra, grocery shopping, Wednesday night prayer meeting, library, park and coop. Silly me, what was I thinking?!;)

I don't say this, because I'm far too polite. But I'd love to have the guts and ability to be this rude in response to socialization questions -- not to sweet, well-meaning people, of course:

"Your proctologist called. Your x-rays came back. He said to tell you he found your head."

Does this mean I'm poorly socialized?

RC

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I started to tell her that with milking the goats, harvesting the wheat and sewing our own clothes, its hard to have much time in public!!

And, Rosie, I love your statement that your surprised when you find people who do think. I agree.

Oddly enough, when my boys were younger and we lived on a street with lots of other boys, they didn't get much socialization. I was the only sahm on the block, and the other kids, when not in school, were in childcare. None of them seemed to spend any time with any of the other kids on the block. The few times my boys tried to connect with our neighborhood kids it was akward at best. I thought *that* seemed like a lack of socialization.

Oddly enough, when my boys were younger and we lived on a street with lots of other boys, they didn't get much socialization. I was the only sahm on the block, and the other kids, when not in school, were in childcare. None of them seemed to spend any time with any of the other kids on the block. The few times my boys tried to connect with our neighborhood kids it was akward at best. I thought *that* seemed like a lack of socialization.

Yes, I understand what you mean. So many times our socialization "problems" have stemmed from OTHER kids being mean, excluding my kids for no reason, etc. They are almost always PS kids, too.

I have to say that I've been homeschooling for a long time and have gotten comments on socialization many many times, but I have never felt the urge to be snarky about it. At least that I recall. I just try to say something that would make them see outside the little box they don't even realize they are in.

I am sure that I have made ignorant comments to other people on things I have assumptions about. Maybe they snort to themselves about how stupid I am. But life seems too short to get irritated by these folks who probably mean well and are just trying to make conversation.

The funniest conversation I ever had with my mother regarding homeschooling involved her going into great lamentations and gnashing of teeth over the fact my son will become isolated and depressed if he's homeschooled and then, without missing a beat, lapsed into stories of how at the school she works at (a high school) they've caught kids having s*x in the cafeteria, gang fights, drug issues, etc. I said, "Yeah, Mom; that's certainly the kind of real-world experiences my son needs at 13!"

Not everyone is well-meaning, Faith. Some people are jerks. We have several neighbors who are worried about our kids because they are homeschooled. It's nothing the kids have done -- these people just hate the whole idea of our not using our "wonderful public schools".

They have tried from the beginning, 8 years ago, to get me not to homeschool. At first their reason was that if the kids were at home, I wouldn't be able to go to the mall or have lunch with my friends. It snowballed into socialization issues when several schoolteachers moved into the neighborhood and the main rabble-rouser became friends with them.

A couple of years ago, when the boys were 11 or 12, one of them called the cops to tell them that my kids were playing (with other kids and an adult right there) outside and unsupervised. The reason given for the call to the police was that the neighbor had seen a fox outside in the past and was afraid foxes would get my "special needs" children.

The cop who responded said my neighbor was a nutcase. He laughed when I told him that she had indeed seen a fox -- it has lived in the wooded area of her yard for years. She, in fact, has 3 kids who had yet to be eaten alive by Mr. Fox.

There is no rest of that story -- my kids were playing and not doing anything wrong, according to the police office and to the parent who was on the scene.

So, not everyone is well-meaning. Some are downright rude and resent homeschoolers mightily. The town I live in is not supportive of homeschoolers and most of the parents of school children are vocal about their dislike of folks who don't send their kids to the PS. This attitude really shows up around the time we have a tax override for the schools on the ballot because they assume that if a person has no children in the PS they will vote against the override because of that.

The rest of that story is that I have never said anything but complimentary things about our local PS to anyone. There isn't anything bad to say, particularly.

:lol::lol::lol:

Well I have to apologize those are my relatives and I thought I had them locked up properly but obviously they escaped again.:lol: So apologize on behalf of my weird family, just look at them like they are idiots and tell them I am looking for them. :lol::lol::lol:

blessings

lori

It always seems to happen to me when my boys are actually spending time with other kids. The last time I remember was at Taekwondo. It's a 90 minute session with a break in the middle; during the break, while the kids were playing, running around, making up games, another mother said to me, with solemn concern, "But doesn't he get to play with other kids?"

Laura