Menu

Also need family Halloween themed or scary movies.

Every year we start about now leading up to Halloween watching Halloween themed or scary movies. We have been doing this for years now and we always watch the same movies so we are looking to add some new ones to the mix. We usually watch:

Hocus Pokus

Ghostbusters

Casper

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Also some of the older B&W horror movies, the kinds of things that were on the Creature Double Feature in the old days.

I am open to watching to some that are a little scarier now that the little are getting a little bit older. I don't watch a lot of movies like this so I am not familiar with the genre but I am thinking PG or even PG-13. A little scary but not gory or slasher type movies, more like Poltergeist or the original The Thing.

Every year we start about now leading up to Halloween watching Halloween themed or scary movies. We have been doing this for years now and we always watch the same movies so we are looking to add some new ones to the mix. We usually watch:

Hocus Pokus

Ghostbusters

Casper

It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Also some of the older B&W horror movies, the kinds of things that were on the Creature Double Feature in the old days.

I am open to watching to some that are a little scarier now that the little are getting a little bit older. I don't watch a lot of movies like this so I am not familiar with the genre but I am thinking PG or even PG-13. A little scary but not gory or slasher type movies, more like Poltergeist or the original The Thing.

Be careful of Poltergeist. My sister had nightmares after that for a LONG time! Then again, she was younger than your youngest when she saw it. So feel free to ignore this caution if your kids aren't easily freaked out.

Gremlins

That's Christmas, not Halloween :p

Poltergeist was dd14's first "real" horror movie - she was ten when she watched it and spent most of the time laughing and doing a fake 'hide behind the pillow' thing.

There's a movie that I remember watching years ago [a lot of them]…something about thee kids who found some kind of [portal? gateway?] in their backyard… monsters came out of it.. or something. If I could remember it - I think it was a pg13-ish type of horror flick.

I know it's not a "scary" movie, but ET freaked me out as a kid and it does take place around Halloween. If I remember correctly though, there's some language, so you'd definitely want to check a review.

This is a good one and I don't know that my youngers have watched it. Thanks.

Be careful of Poltergeist. My sister had nightmares after that for a LONG time! Then again, she was younger than your youngest when she saw it. So feel free to ignore this caution if your kids aren't easily freaked out.

I am not really sure about this one. My kids don't scare easily but I remember it being pretty scary, enough that I still don't leave my tv on unattended. I only saw it when it first came out so maybe I will prewatch this one.

The 1963 version of The Haunting

The Changeling

American Werewolf in London and Shaun of the Dead are a little bloody/gruesome but the humor sort of makes up for it.

Young Frankenstein

Oh yes, we love Young Frankenstein. Well the olders do, the youngers really don't appreciate the humor so much yet.

American Werewolf is probably good.

We have watched Shawn of the Dead recently. I am sure I have seen the other two but don't remember them so much so I'll check them out as well.

Corpse Bride

Addams Family

Oh yeah, these are in our rotation as well. I personally am not terribly fond of Tim Burton stuff but the kids love his stuff. They love the version of The Addams Family with Tim Curry. He is a big hit around here.

The olders watch Rocky Horror Picture Show with us and this year we have tickets to go see a Midnight Madness live version at the local playhouse where costumes and props will be welcome. I have seen the costumes and they aren't as good as the original but it should be fun. :D

Not exactly "Halloweeny," but my kids (the two oldest) watched Jaws last year as their first horror movie. They loved it (I can't remember how gory it is, so previewing might be a good idea).

How about the newer Mummy movies?

We have the Mummy movies and love them. Not sure about Jaws, hubby says he remembers some sexuality? :confused:

Oh hey - what about Beetlejuice and The Lost Boys?

edit: maybe the old Chuckie movies? They're horror, but they're the sort that are so corny you spend most of your time laughing at them.

We have Beetlejuice. I don't remember much about The Lost Boys but we aren't doing Chucki. I didn't like him the first time around.

That's Christmas, not Halloween :p

Poltergeist was dd14's first "real" horror movie - she was ten when she watched it and spent most of the time laughing and doing a fake 'hide behind the pillow' thing.

There's a movie that I remember watching years ago [a lot of them]…something about thee kids who found some kind of [portal? gateway?] in their backyard… monsters came out of it.. or something. If I could remember it - I think it was a pg13-ish type of horror flick.

The Spiderwick Chronicles maybe?

The Changeling (1980) (SCARY!!!!!!)

The Haunting of Hill House (the 1963 one is the scary one, the new one made me laugh) It is SCARY but more suspenseful. You don't see anything icky.

The Thing is good, it got an R rating for the violence. It is supposedly John Carpenter's favorite movie he ever made. We were allowed to watch that one when we were younger. I don't have a huge issue with it, I don't remember any intimacy bits but it has been awhile since I have seen it.

I would watch The Thing before Poltergeist. The Thing makes me ":) I was scared" but Poltergeist makes me "D: D: D: D: D:" (I am still not fond of certain objects in her room)

Edited by Sis

We really liked M. Night Shamalamadingdong's (that's what we call him around here :D) "The Village". More creepy than scary and with a great twist for an ending. Very memorable.

:lol::lol::lol:

So funny! That's what we call him too.

I really liked The Sixth Sense and Signs (though I know I'm in the minority on Signs...that part where Joaquin Phoenix first sees the alien on TV really freaked me out). There are some pretty gory parts in that movie though, if I remember right.

The Happing just had us laughing out loud though. That was pretty bad.

That's Christmas, not Halloween

The Spiderwick Chronicles maybe?

Waaaaay older than that - and I found it. (1987, turns out) It was called The Gate ..and it appears that, like many movies from back then, they're remaking it. *eyeroll*

Oh hey - what about Beetlejuice and The Lost Boys?

edit: maybe the old Chuckie movies? They're horror, but they're the sort that are so corny you spend most of your time laughing at them.

We have Beetlejuice. I don't remember much about The Lost Boys but we aren't doing Chucki. I didn't like him the first time around.

Just a note: I'm talking about The *original* Lost Boys -- they made a newer one a couple of years ago and it sucks. The original is awesome. :D

Hey - Tremors?

(A message from my husband, the horror buff :)

I definitely second the recommendations for Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Others - they are both highly atmospheric and intensely spooky, with little in the way of blood (none at all, in the case of The Others - a truly old-fashioned ghost story).

For fun, I love The Raven (early Roger Corman, but rated G!) with Vincent Price, Bela Lugosi and Peter Lorre... and an *extremely* young Jack Nicholson. It's basically a horror parody, and a very funny one. I also like The Terror, which Corman made with Lugosi and Nicholson in the four days that were left on Lugosi's contract after filming wrapped on The Raven.

The H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society has produced a remarkably successful adaptation of the classic story "The Call of Cthulhu", in the style of a 1920's silent movie - it runs about 45 minutes, and is again suspenseful rather than bloody, although there is one brief scene that includes, but does not focus on, the body of a sacrificial victim. (In black and white, obviously.)

I forgot about The Others. What a great, creepy movie. I was also going to recommend The Village and Sixth Sense.

I'm not really a fan of horror movies, but the ones that I've mentioned are favorites of my whole family. They are for sure scary, but they give you a little brain stimulation as well.

There is one episode of Doctor Who called "The Empty Child" which gave me sleepless nights! No gore or anything, but there's this creepy little kid who follows them around saying "Are you my Mummy?" It's not a movie, and it might not be appropriate for the younger set, but it sure freaked me out!!

There's also some old movies made from an Edgar Allan Poe books called "The House of Usher" and "Murder at the Rue Morgue" which our teachers showed us right before Halloween in Middle School. Pretty chilling.