Menu

Top picks for kindergarten/first grade in any subject.

lynn

Bringing dd home in January, we need to continue working on reading skills. She loves logic and math and would choose to do this all day everyday if I'd let her. She loves to learn about everything. Teaching or learning with her is going to be fun but I am afraid of becoming overwhelmed of wanting to show her and teach everything she wants to know without some type of order. Does this make any sense? I plan to put her in an art class and have not quite decided violin or piano. She is already in dance. Any suggestions, ideas are very welcomed.

Singapore Math would be a good choice. Essential Math K for K level, and Primary Math for grades 1-6.

For reading, I really like Webster's Speller (and it's free!). I also like Explode the Code workbooks.

If you're doing K, you could just hit the library and let her learn about any subjects she wants history/science wise. :) Focus your curriculum time on getting her reading well. There are a lot of history and science readers at the library that might encourage her to read more. They have various levels. My son loved those.

How is her handwriting? If she's struggling at all with it, I highly recommend Handwriting Without Tears. It's easy to use and has fun little sayings for the letters. If her handwriting is fine, you could just use copywork that you make yourself.

For 1st grade, I think Writing With Ease is excellent. You wouldn't need a "writing" program for K.

Hope that helps! Congrats on taking her out! I pulled my son from 1st grade last December, and it's the best thing I could have done!

I love RightStart math - it's a great program if your child likes hands-on math.

We used Ordinary Parent's Guide for Teaching Reading. Black and white, scripted, got the job done. Explode the Code workbooks if she likes workbooks.

When her reading skills are ready to move one to a full language arts program, we've really enjoyed First Language Lessons (for grammar) and All About Spelling.

For everything else, lots of library books and cuddle time.

If she is reading really well, you might not need this, but if she is still learning phonics rules and/or struggling PAL:Reading is the best I've found for 1st grade reading instruction. It takes alot of time but has been SO worth it for my daughter. She actually likes reading lessons now and consequently has improved her reading skills significantly.

All About Spelling is a great spelling program and goes along with the PAL:Reading program.

We love Story of the World (book and teacher's manual) for history.

Oh, and consider starting narrations with whatever you are reading in every subject. Whether you use it the Charlotte Mason way (where they tell you EVERYTHING they remember) or the WTM way (where they give you a few things they remember in complete sentences, working towards finding "the most important things" in what they read/hear), I really think narration helps comprehension and retention SIGNIFICANTLY.

We're only afterschooling, but DD really likes Miquon math. It can be used as a stand-alone program or a supplement. And we're going to start A Child's History of the World next week. It's the first history program I've looked at that's simple enough for a 5 YO (IMO anyway). We tried SOTW and it was over her head. A Little History of the World is too much also. I'm very tempted to add Elemental History (American history) too but that's probably too much for afterschooling.

Definitely Miquon and/or Singapore. If you only want one, I'd suggest Miquon until you're done and then Singapore after that. (Or maybe Beast Academy. We're looking into switching to that when it comes out.) For a kid who loves math, you won't be sorry if you choose these!

We LOVE Sonlight! Check out their reasons NOT to buy to know if it's for you or not!

The library is a WONDERFUL tool! I find lists on forums like this or find a book on Amazon that we like and then scroll through the "Customers who bought this item also bought" to get more ideas. You don't really have to worry too much about order for history and science IMO so go after anything she's interested in!

Where can I find this free?

Here.

For K and 1st I agree with the recommendations for Right Start math.

Lollipop Logic is fun and we liked the science book selections from Sonlight's P4/5 core (I didn't buy the core, just checked out the books from the library). Their first grade science (I think it's called Science B now) was good, and could easily be stretched out over K and 1st if you do science 2-3 times a week instead of following their 4-5 day schedule.

If I had known about it earlier, I would have used The Writing Road to Reading to teach DD to read. It covers handwriting, too. For extra hand-holding, if you feel you need it, Spalding sells grade-leveled teacher guides.

For 1st, my favorites are (and I think they go well together):

Singapore Math 1A (be sure to use the HIG for the concrete activities before moving to the pictorial stories in the textbook, then on to the abstract in the workbook)

Reading good books aloud - we take turns alternating paragraphs and read aloud for 30 minutes together per day

First Language Lessons 1

Writing With Ease 1

All About Spelling 1

Handwriting Without Tears (not sure if you need this with girls, but its great for boys)

Regarding piano and violin: I wish we had waited to start violin until dd was older (at least 6 or 7 plus) mostly because it is VERY parent intensive. I think it would have been easier to start with piano and teach the theory that way and then start violin when dd was a little more independent. Starting early does have advantages such as by the time she is 7 she will already have good habits formed (good bow hold etc.) and know the rhythms and be playing several songs. With that said, I was one who thought earlier was better. Since starting I've seen older kids start and get through in a month what younger kids spent a year practicing because they pick it up easier when they are older, have more drive to learn it, and have better fine motor skills. Violin also gets quite pricey, especially if you do suzuki (private lesson, group lesson, and rental) whereas for piano you usually only pay for the monthly private lessons. Now that we have started and dd is part of a suzuki group (was on a wait list for a year and then had to wait longer to switch to a teacher that better fit our style) it's not one of those things we can "just quit" and say "let's just do it later".

Since she is loving the math/logic she has now, I'd look at it closely and consider something compatible/similar. The BEST program is the one you both like or love, so go with what is working over anyone's raves/rants. ;)

Personally, I would suggest doing math, reading...and then whatever interests dd (unit study approach). This can be a nice, gentle way to adjust from ps to hs -- for both of you. Especially given the age, if you are doing 3Rs plus art and an instrument -- that's plenty! Pile up great read-aloud books from the library (or books she can read) and discuss them as you go. Math math may be more games and workbooks. Go for walks and trips to museums. Have fun.

It's easy to get too focussed on the curricula and lose sight of why you are doing this. SHe's young, it's a marathon not a sprint, enjoy the rabbit trails. There will be plenty of time for all the other "formal" stuff once you two are settled in (maybe by next Fall).

For K and 1st I have really liked:

Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (OPGTR)

RightStart A and B (RS) - B for 1st

Explode the Code (ETC)

Sonlight Core A (SL) - for 1st

Writing with Ease (WWE) - for 1st

Christian Light Math 1 (CLE) - for 1st (using with RS and Math Mammoth)

Beginning Geography by Evan Moor

Heart of Dakota's Little Hearts for His Glory helped me get my feet wet with homeschooling and I am grateful for that. It has lots of hands-on activities that are doable and made K fun. It was very open-and-go.

I also like the recitation, read-alouds, music and art appreciation, and poetry in the Memoria Press K and 1st guides.

Kathy

I've got a first grader and these are my top picks:

Reading Pathways Fluency Pyramids

http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Pathways-Exercises-Improve-Jossey-Bass/dp/0787992895

Phonics Road - love it!

For something fun we are really enjoying Tin Man Press's Take Aways and Listen Up! activities. They help with thinking and listening skills and my child always loves to do them.

https://www.tinmanpress.com/tinman-catalog/enrichment-packets

Top choices for me:

RightStart Math

I See Sam (beginning reading that's enjoyable, solid phonics, and easy to implement) I used Recipe for Reading techniques and Progressive Phonics too and like those as well. Similarly, enjoyable and excellent phonics instruction.

We've had great years with Core Knowledge Curriculum for the other subjects. Free K plans here and many other places online as well. I've got some K and a lot of 1st on my blog. It's really a great curriculum. I like the idea of unit studies at these ages too.

We are using Rightstart. I am not a math person and this program is scripted so no questions about how to teach it. I've heard great things about Singapore and Miquon as well. For a free program, I have people like MEP.

For phonics and spelling we are using Webster's Speller which is free and great in my opinion. Elizabeth at http://www.thephonicspage.org has lessons laid out. I use those those as a guide. If I wasn't using that I'd probably use phonics pathway.

I think it will come down to your teaching preferences and your daughters interest. There will be some hit and misses. What's nice about homeschooling is you will probably find out pretty quick if something isnt working and you can adjust accordingly.

Brenda

Reading: teaching the phonograms, then Webster's Speller. Headsprout after they can sound out CVC words and KNOW how to "say the sounds to read the words." Continue phonics while doing Headsprout, and add in reading books. I like the American Language Readers (Fun in the Sun, Scamp and Tramp, etc). Read from easy readers when it is no longer frustrating.

I love the idea of I See Sam, but both of my kids struggled because of the size of the font. Little font was intimidating.

PAL Reading looks good and if I had to do it over, I might use that.

Right Start Math and Miquon

lots and lots of read alouds

Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding

good tv shows (How It's Made, Magic School Bus, Liberty's Kids, Where on Earth is Carment Sandiego, Timeblazers, Horrible Histories, Animated Hero Tales, Planet Egypt, Wild Kratz, random documentaries)

memorizing poetry

Montessori maps and big wall maps

I like All About Spelling, Writing with Ease, and First Language Lessons.