Menu

LDS and scrapbooking

This might be today's dumbest question!

Many of the scrapbooking "professionals" that I follow are LDS. I'm just curious if there is a reason? Is it just because scrapbooking is big in Utah? Is there something in the LDS church that pushes this kind of record keeping?

I think it's the natural love-child of the LDS-theologically-stressed-importance of family record keeping (both geneological, and personal history, i.e. journals and photographs), and our LDS-culturally-stressed-importance of craftiness. :lol:

I am not LDS so I won't presume to know all the details, but I do know that family history is important in the LDS church. Also, it seems that any culture where family is a focus then documenting things about your life and those you love would be a very reasonable hobby.

I used to work for a scrapbook manufacturer that was based in Salt Lake and the family that owned it was LDS; they even had a separate line of papers and embellishments with an LDS theme. I traveled for them to the SB conventions and you are correct in that many of the "celeberties" and company owners are LDS. I have also had the opportunity to tour the QuicKutz facility (warehouse and manufacturing) which is in Orem. When I was at one of our company retreats just before CHA, we toured the printing company that printed all the paper and stickers and they had to cover many other pallets of product that were in various stages of production while we were there; this print shop printed for at least 4 or 5 other scrapbook companies too and we were not allowed to peek at the other companies new products. Scrapbooking is big in Utah!

Ya, I don't scrapbook either. Card-making and vinyl lettering is actually more popular among the LDS women in my area than scrapbooking is (I don't do any of those either :D ), although our town's lone scrapbooking store IS owned by an LDS family. :lol:

What is vinyl lettering?

Letters (or any shape) cut out of thin sheets of vinyl that you can stick to just about anything. Nearly every craft night my ward's Relief Society (women's organization) has done recently has included sticking vinyl letters to anything from plates to painted boards. Some people even stick them straight to their walls (you can peel them right off later, so it's easier than stenciling the letters on with paint).

ETA: A google image search shows many examples of vinyl lettering. Many of them LDS-themed. :lol:

This might be today's dumbest question!

Many of the scrapbooking "professionals" that I follow are LDS. I'm just curious if there is a reason? Is it just because scrapbooking is big in Utah? Is there something in the LDS church that pushes this kind of record keeping?

I think it's the natural love-child of the LDS-theologically-stressed-importance of family record keeping (both geneological, and personal history, i.e. journals and photographs), and our LDS-culturally-stressed-importance of craftiness. :lol:
:lol::lol::lol:

Yep. I think Xuzi put her finger right on it.

I'm LDS. I'm also a left-brained, semi-professional genealogist. I DO NOT scrapbook. I do label pictures with complete names, dates, and places. I do sometimes put them in professional, archive quality sleeves in a binder. I DO NOT add cutesy borders or crop just one face out of a photo. (Think 'preservation,' not 'decoration.') I have so many, far more worthy-of-my-time, other things to do.

I also don't have my favorite scripture or saying vinyled to any wall of my home, though I have wondered if we couldn't create a really awesome, full-length of the hall, timeline out of the stuff....

Yes...it's our culture. Scrapbooking did begin here in Utah. Every town in Utah has at least two scrapbook/papercraft stores. Actually, I believe our motto is, "If you're taking time to make something, then you can take time to make it as cute as it can be." :D

This doesn't just apply to scrapbooks. It extends to our homes, our gifts, our clothing and our young daughter's hair. :lol:

I'm LDS. I'm also a left-brained, semi-professional genealogist. I DO NOT scrapbook. I do label pictures with complete names, dates, and places. I do sometimes put them in professional, archive quality sleeves in a binder. I DO NOT add cutesy borders or crop just one face out of a photo. (Think 'preservation,' not 'decoration.') I have so many, far more worthy-of-my-time, other things to do.
Oh, I just reread this. It seems harsher than I intended. I think it is important to have a hobby or two that aren't world-changing and are just for you. There's just a lot of cultural pressure around here to have those hobbies be the currently acceptable/popular ones. Scrapbooking doesn't appeal to me, and it sometimes feels like I have nothing in common with others in my congregation because the majority of them do.

Ok, I read that as LSD and Scrapbooking and my mind went off in a totally different direction. I was envisioning psychedelic scrapbooks with distorted pictures. :lol:

In one of the Star Trek movies, 5 I think, they travel bacl to the 1980's. Captain Kirk tries to explain Spock's out of place demeanor and says, "Too much LDS back in the 60's." :lol:

And in Mobster's and Mormons the mafia family goes clean and opens a scrap book store. :)

I'm with Xuxi and others that it's a huge cultural thing. I'm not into scrap booking at all or much crafting.

Yes...it's our culture. Scrapbooking did begin here in Utah. Every town in Utah has at least two scrapbook/papercraft stores. Actually, I believe our motto is, "If you're taking time to make something, then you can take time to make it as cute as it can be." :D

This doesn't just apply to scrapbooks. It extends to our homes, our gifts, our clothing and our young daughter's hair. :lol:

:lol: And that explains why I stand out a bit here, as an LDS in Utah.

I. Don't. Care. About. Cute. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well, I'll be the odd duck out and say, I love scrapbooking. Why? Pretty paper. And pictures. Pretty paper and pictures of my kids, what could be cuter?! Only I haven't scrapbooked in about 5+ years, ya know right around the time Pigby stopped sleeping all day long. I have too many other things to do. I'd like to learn how to digitally scrapbook, but I am so computer illiterate, do you know how long it took me to figure out what Google Docs were?!?!

My mom was a crafter though. We lived in Colorado and she made lots of cute, crafty, Enrichment night things. I am so not like that, no matter how hard I've tried. I wasn't even very good at the scrapbooking thing, I had to have my husband help me coordinate paper colors.

:lol: And that explains why I stand out a bit here, as an LDS in Utah.

I. Don't. Care. About. Cute. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have to be crafty. I'm the homemaking/enrichment/evening RS meeting counselor. It's the law. :lol:

Edited to say: Although this month's meeting was a temple trip...no crafts anywhere in sight. We did have homemade pie the RS President's house afterwards. Does that count? LOL

Oh, but next month is an entire "Homemade Christmas" fair. Lots of crafts, sewing projects, baking projects and papercrafts. Hmmm....just negated this month's "non-crafty" activity completely, didn't I? :D

Edited by DianeW88

Is there something in the LDS church that pushes this kind of record keeping?

yes. and journaling. and genealogy (i do that one - it's addictive).

so that our posterity will know "us" and not just some name, place, and date. there are some pretty inspirational stories from people's ancestors who kept records.

:lol::lol::lol:

Yep. I think Xuzi put her finger right on it.

I also don't have my favorite scripture or saying vinyled to any wall of my home, though I have wondered if we couldn't create a really awesome, full-length of the hall, timeline out of the stuff....

:iagree::lol:. I don't "do" scrapbooking either. I have dug up some skeletons doing genealogy.;) (document, document, document. - those who are eager to connect to charlemegne make me nuts.)

[ and our LDS-culturally-stressed-importance of craftiness.
:lol:

Utah seems to be huge into this -other places not so much. It's not hugely popular here in Australia although some people certainly do it. The cost of materials is way too expensive - it certainly isn't something I could afford to do.

My mum used to live in Utah. Once when I was visiting her she took me out VT. I was overwhelmed walking into each persons home - talk about cuteness overload. :lol: Every persons homes was decked floor to ceiling with cutesy craft everywhere - to even sit down you had to move cutesy decorations off the couch :D

In Australia we are not into that type of thing. If we do any crafty thing at all it is usually service orientated -making quilts for others etc.

We don't have the craft stores everywhere you go here either - we have two major chain stores and that's it - scrapbooking stores are rare.

All my photos are still on the computer - I don't even have an album -let alone a "pretty" one :lol:

Edited by sewingmama

I have to be crafty. I'm the homemaking/enrichment/evening RS meeting counselor. It's the law. :lol:

Edited to say: Although this month's meeting was a temple trip...no crafts anywhere in sight. We did have homemade pie the RS President's house afterwards. Does that count? LOL

Oh, but next month is an entire "Homemade Christmas" fair. Lots of crafts, sewing projects, baking projects and papercrafts. Hmmm....just negated this month's "non-crafty" activity completely, didn't I? :D

I'm on the enrichment committee now--still don't have the cute bug. :lol: There are plenty of lovely older ladies who have cute and crafty down to a science. I get to provide the quirky alternative ideas! :lol:

I got into scrapbooking right when it came out. I'd always loved taking lots of pictures and putting them into albums. I'm an old-school minimalist though. And I haven't had time to do it for years; the albums stop in my second daughter's babyhood. :)

Most of my scrapbooky friends have moved on to digital scrapbooking, which I am not interested in.

Here in CA the craftiness isn't so pervasive, but it's still here! :)

[ I was overwhelmed walking into each persons home - talk about cuteness overload. :lol: Every persons homes was decked floor to ceiling with cutesy craft everywhere - to even sit down you had to move cutesy decorations off the couch :D

Miss Manners said every home needs a household atrocity to prove the owners have sentiment and things are not chosen only for their esthetic value. We have two sets of plastic grapes (one sil's, one mil's.) - RS craft items from the 70's - that are currently in dh's office and fill that description. they do make me laugh . . . . (and I don't have to look at them everyday.)

Miss Manners said every home needs a household atrocity to prove the owners have sentiment and things are not chosen only for their esthetic value. We have two sets of plastic grapes (one sil's, one mil's.) - RS craft items from the 70's - that are currently in dh's office and fill that description. they do make me laugh . . . . (and I don't have to look at them everyday.)

You made me giggle. Mom and I were talking about plastic grapes just the other day. (We never had any at our house, though.)

[ and our LDS-culturally-stressed-importance of craftiness./QUOTE]:lol:

Utah seems to be huge into this -other places not so much. It's not hugely popular here in Australia although some people certainly do it. The cost of materials is way too expensive - it certainly isn't something I could afford to do.

My mum used to live in Utah. Once when I was visiting her she took me out VT. I was overwhelmed walking into each persons home - talk about cuteness overload. :lol: Every persons homes was decked floor to ceiling with cutesy craft everywhere - to even sit down you had to move cutesy decorations off the couch :D

In Australia we are not into that type of thing. If we do any crafty thing at all it is usually service orientated -making quilts for others etc.

We don't have the craft stores everywhere you go here either - we have two major chain stores and that's it - scrapbooking stores are rare.

All my photos are still on the computer - I don't even have an album -let alone a "pretty" one :lol:

I'm not from Utah so that probably makes a huge difference. :) And neither of my parents are crafty or DIYers.

You made me giggle. Mom and I were talking about plastic grapes just the other day. (We never had any at our house, though.)

I'm deprived--we never had any either. My mom is a convert and a hippie--I think she was around for the grapes but she probably refused to make 'em. :D Though we had plenty of atrocities around the house, they tended to be macrame or batik...

Forget the scrapbooking, which I used to dabble in with plain old paper before the crafty factor exploded with all those doodads, I haven't printed paper photos in years. Oh the guilt. It's not my season, right? I do send out an email update every Sunday with photos and narration about our week. That counts as family history in my book. :001_smile: