Menu

Need teacher friendly math program asap

journey00

I'm new to homeschooling, my 11 y/o uses TT, my 7 yr old uses MUS, but I'm having a lot of problem with MCP Math for the 6yr old (MUS for did not work) I also work full- time out of my home.

Her learning style is textbook style but I AM the one having the problem. I can't seem to "come down" to her level & explain the concept for her to understand.

I need a teacher's manual that will show me in quotes exactly what to say to her. Or an online program would be great...or combining textbook with an easy to use online program....

Help. :confused::w00t::001_unsure::ack2::eek::ohmy::crying:

LOVE what I see! Also, the author is WONDERFUL!

My skin crawls when I think of Right Start... so NOT....teacher-friendly... scripted, BUT...very teacher-intensive and Saxon's scripting is overkill-overkill-overkill! Sorry to sound so.....:thumbdown::angry:!! Just want to SAVE you from what I already went through. *I* am NOT mathy and didn't like Saxon's scripting:tongue_smilie:.

We have been homeschooling for 20 years and I feel your pain with the elementary math programs! I have done EXTENSIVE research and McRuffy is what we are going with for our youngest two. You should...in my opinion;)....definitely check it out!

Reviews here: http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=563

There are also plenty of reviews on WTM, too.

Here is the website where you can see samples and contact the author (Brian Davis) if you have questions: http://www.mcruffy.com/Kindergarten-math-lessons.htm

I have also read it is slightly advanced, so if you feel you need to start your 6yo in the kindergarten program, they will actually print the books for you without any grade references...if that bothers you/your child. Someone on this board mentioned having their dc tested with Saxon and TT after finishing gr. 3 of McRuffy, and they tested at 5th/6th grade level.

Blessings in your search,

:) Denise

Well, I completely disagree with Neesy about both Rightstart and McRuffy, so. lol Rightstart is fantastic for building a solid conceptual understanding, and the scripting is great. The only problem is that it does take a bit longer to do some of the lessons, and you say you are working full time, so I don't know if that would be a problem for you.

Based on what I've heard about MCP, there is very little effort to teach the concepts behind the algorithms, and from looking through a couple levels of McRuffy, it seems to suffer from the same problem. From your description, it sounds like this is where your child is struggling, so I'd recommend something like Rightstart if you have the time, and Math Mammoth if you don't. MM has all the instruction right on the page and it's very inexpensive and great at teaching the actual reasons for the algorithms.

I love Rightstart and it is scripted, but I wouldn't recommend it if you are looking for more textbookish and/or if you work full time away from home.

:iagree:

I would suggest you look at Math Mammoth. You could download the Blue series Addition 1 book to try (only $3.75). It is written to the student, so not really scripted for the teacher but the teaching is really done through the pictures and working the problems.

I would suggest you look at Math Mammoth. You could download the Blue series Addition 1 book to try (only $3.75). It is written to the student, so not really scripted for the teacher but the teaching is really done through the pictures and working the problems.

We must have been typing at the same time! Great minds...:001_smile:

I am going to throw my opinion in while I am reading this even though you have a lot of responses :D I second the suggestion for Saxon even though some others don't care for it. I started homeschooling last year and used Saxon K and 3. This year I am using 1 and 5/4 and I really like the scripting. I guess some see it as repetitive but I see my kids mastering math. I credit the scripting for making that happen even though I wouldn't have considered myself to be a math person. HTH

I'm new to homeschooling, my 11 y/o uses TT, my 7 yr old uses MUS, but I'm having a lot of problem with MCP Math for the 6yr old (MUS for did not work) I also work full- time out of my home.

Her learning style is textbook style but I AM the one having the problem. I can't seem to "come down" to her level & explain the concept for her to understand.

I need a teacher's manual that will show me in quotes exactly what to say to her. Or an online program would be great...or combining textbook with an easy to use online program....

Well, my son, 9, is using Right Start and doing FABULOUS with it, but I have a tutor working with him. I was looking for the same thing as you as Right Start wasn't working with my 7 yo dd. I just ordered Saxon and hope it get it tomorrow. It's tried and true and I've used it in the past. It gets the job done. That's what I need right now. :)

Rod and Staff is great for my 7 yr old. She is very independant with it now, although I break out the tm from time to time. It tells you what to say, and the worksheets are almost self explanatory w/o the tm. It is also mastery oriented and really drills the facts before moving on. I have her skip parts that I dont think she needs extra help on. The pages are cutely decorated(makes me want to color them) but arent too busy to distract a visual learner. Cheap too. She likes playing Rightstart games with her little brother to reinforce whats shes learning and to have a little fun.

We must have been typing at the same time! Great minds...:001_smile:

:D

I absolutely LOVE BJU math for Kindergarten through 6th grade. Students texts are colorful without being busy, and have just he right amount of problems per page. The program is very thorough, and that includes the TE. It is scripted, so it guides you through exactly what to say and do.

Rod and Staff is great for my 7 yr old. She is very independant with it now, although I break out the tm from time to time. It tells you what to say, and the worksheets are almost self explanatory w/o the tm. It is also mastery oriented and really drills the facts before moving on. I have her skip parts that I dont think she needs extra help on. The pages are cutely decorated(makes me want to color them) but arent too busy to distract a visual learner. Cheap too. She likes playing Rightstart games with her little brother to reinforce whats shes learning and to have a little fun.

What's "tm"? Sorry :confused:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned CLE Math. My older kids are using it and I'm very pleased with this program. I'm also trying out the 1st grade level with my 5yo dd since she's flying through Singapore Essential math and will be finished with that in 2-3 weeks. So far she enjoys it and is doing two lessons per day.

Each grade level has 10 lightunits and two teacher's manuals. CLE math is a spiral math program (meaning it covers different topics in one lesson.) There are also speed drills in the back to reinforce math facts. The tm explains each lesson thoroughly and the curriculum is very thorough. CLE math is also very inexpensive. You can check out plenty of samples on their website www.clp.org.

Congratulations on making the decision to homeschool. I totally understand about working full time and homeschooling. The past two years we used BJU math and I really like the program for K-3, but I felt we needed a change. CLE teaches to the student and the instruction is very straightforward.

I also like MM, but we use the blue series for certain topics only.

HTH, :)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned CLE Math. My older kids are using it and I'm very pleased with this program. I'm also trying out the 1st grade level with my 5yo dd since she's flying through Singapore Essential math and will be finished with that in 2-3 weeks. So far she enjoys it and is doing two lessons per day.

Each grade level has 10 lightunits and two teacher's manuals. CLE math is a spiral math program (meaning it covers different topics in one lesson.) There are also speed drills in the back to reinforce math facts. The tm explains each lesson thoroughly and the curriculum is very thorough. CLE math is also very inexpensive. You can check out plenty of samples on their website www.clp.org.

Congratulations on making the decision to homeschool. I totally understand about working full time and homeschooling. The past two years we used BJU math and I really like the program for K-3, but I felt we needed a change. CLE teaches to the student and the instruction is very straightforward.

I also like MM, but we use the blue series for certain topics only.

HTH, :)

I'll throw another vote out there for CLE. We started ds with MUS and it just was not a good fit for him. We switched to CLE and he has been doing great. The explanations of concepts in the LightUnits and the explanations in the Teacher's guides are great. There is enough review without it being overkill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I LOVE RightStart! It tells you EXACTLY what materials to pull out and EXACTLY what to say. Really gives the kids a great understanding of foundational math concepts.

But it is not textbooky at all!!! Lots of manipulatives and hands-on, non-worksheet math.

Had my 3 kids take placement tests with CLE and we will begin with that this week. Thank you very much to everybody who responded, I'm very blessed to be part of the a supportive homeschool forum.

God bless.

I hope it goes well for you all!

• 2 weeks later...

Math Mammoth or Right Start or even Singapore with the HIG.