Menu

How old was your DC when he/she was able to write numbers 1-10?

Nart

Age when your child could write the numbers 1-10 independently?  

1. 1. Age when your child could write the numbers 1-10 independently?

• Boy, Age 3
    • Girl, Age 3
    • Boy, Age 4
    • Girl, Age 4
    • Boy, Age 5
    • Girl, Age 5
    • Boy, Age 6
    • Girl, Age 6
    • Boy, Age 7
    • Girl, Age 7

I am curious about when your child was able to write the numbers 1-10? I mean write the numbers from memory without a model and not tracing. I haven't pushed writing numbers yet with my DS who turns 5 in a couple of months (we just figured out for sure that he is a lefty). He will enter public school kinder next fall. I plan on teaching him before then because I want to make sure he learns to form his letters and numbers correctly.

dd is 3.5 and I have to ask her to write the numbers and she can do it legibly. we are using CHC's Little Folks Number Practice with her (Saints and religious references) and it's very good. I love it. We also utilize the easel chalkboard to help reinforce writing with different mediums. She can write them without guidance except me to ask can you write....

She can do it without tracing and without a model.

My son will be 5 end of this month and he has just taken off with it. He never showed much interest in writing/coloring/etc and I haven't forced him to do any of those things (just play with play doh, sidewalk chalk, etc.). It sort of "clicked" overnight and he now loves to write numbers on his magnadoodle. He still struggles with the 8 especially, but he improves every day.

So I voted '4', but it has been a very late 4.

My oldest (who is very mathy) had struggles with writing in general, so he didn't write everything until he got into K.

My middle son is just a tad older than yours (will be 5 in a month), and he can write his numbers, thanks to R&S Counting With Numbers. I love their little sayings! He has better fine motor skills than his big brother.

boy - age 4.

He only just turned 4 a few weeks ago, and could almost do it before his birthday. He has always been very good with his fine motor skills (even from a baby we could tell). He hated colouring/drawing until he hit about 3y/o and he took off with it. Now he refuses to let me write things for him...

My almost-8yo still looks up at the number chart on the wall when he writes certain numbers, because he has trouble remembering which direction they should face. My 6yo doesn't usually look at the model, but he makes number reversals all the time.

I think all my kids could write numbers on their own around 5, but if you want to know when they could do it correctly...that's still a work in progress.

My almost-8yo still looks up at the number chart on the wall when he writes certain numbers, because he has trouble remembering which direction they should face. My 6yo doesn't usually look at the model, but he makes number reversals all the time.

I think all my kids could write numbers on their own around 5, but if you want to know when they could do it correctly...that's still a work in progress.

:iagree:Ds 1 could do it at 6 but they were and still are frequently backwards. Ds 2 can't write them all yet.

I am curious about when your child was able to write the numbers 1-10? I mean write the numbers from memory without a model and not tracing. I haven't pushed writing numbers yet with my DS who turns 5 in a couple of months (we just figured out for sure that he is a lefty). He will enter public school kinder next fall. I plan on teaching him before then because I want to make sure he learns to form his letters and numbers correctly.

I answered for when my kids were doing it in K'er. They may have (and at least one of them probably could) do it (much) earlier, but I don't remember specifics.

None of my kids yet, at ages 6 1/2 and 5. Not for lack of instruction - they just aren't there yet. We are going through the HWOT preschool book for the millionth time trying to solidify capital letters & numbers - haven't attempted the kindergarten (lowercase letters) book yet.

I think it is interesting that according to the poll results that there wasn't a big difference between boys and girls. I was expecting the boys to lag behind but there were some boys who learned at 3 and 4 and a couple of girls who learned at 6.

I also wonder if there is a difference in right and left handed kids. My oldest DS4 is a lefty and struggles with fine motor. He can do most things (eat, brush teeth, throw a ball) with both hands and only in the past two months has he seemed to pick his left hand for writing. His younger brother does most things with his right hand and his fine motor skills are great.

I also wonder if there is a difference in right and left handed kids. My oldest DS4 is a lefty and struggles with fine motor. He can do most things (eat, brush teeth, throw a ball) with both hands and only in the past two months has he seemed to pick his left hand for writing. His younger brother does most things with his right hand and his fine motor skills are great.

Have you considered getting him evaluated by an OT?

Certain qualities seem, unscientifically ;), to be more common amongst left-handers, such as being visual-spatial learners (having right-brain strengths, with or without left-brain weaknesses, etc.), and being stronger in math than in language. (Though at this point, my two lefties have much better handwriting than my righty - go figure. Maybe because they had OT and he didn't?)

FWIW, I have a brother who is a lefty with horrible handwriting. He had a hard time in school - potentially some undiagnosed LDs, who knows. But in life, he has been extremely successful (beyond anyone's wildest imagination).

There's a book called The Dominance Factor that I found interesting.

Have you considered getting him evaluated by an OT?

Certain qualities seem, unscientifically ;), to be more common amongst left-handers, such as being visual-spatial learners (having right-brain strengths, with or without left-brain weaknesses, etc.), and being stronger in math than in language. (Though at this point, my two lefties have much better handwriting than my righty - go figure. Maybe because they had OT and he didn't?)

FWIW, I have a brother who is a lefty with horrible handwriting. He had a hard time in school - potentially some undiagnosed LDs, who knows. But in life, he has been extremely successful (beyond anyone's wildest imagination).

There's a book called The Dominance Factor that I found interesting.

I think the problem is that since I didn't know what hand was going to be his dominant hand I didn't make him do any coloring or writing. The few times that he chose to color or cut or do tracing he would alternate hands so he wasn't getting much practice with either hand. I got HWOT pre-k level, and in the guide it suggests waiting until the child picks which will be the dominant hand and if they are around 5 or so and haven't decided then you should try to determine which is the dominant hand. If the child practices with both hands he or she will often only be half as skilled as others who just practice with one hand.

Since it became apparent in the past couple of months that he is a lefty, we started HWT and started doing a page a day including coloring. He has improved tremendously. I don't like how HWT teaches the numbers so the past three weeks he is writing numbers in a Kumon book. He has gone from only writing the number 1 to being able to write 1-5, 7, and 10. He is still working on correctly forming the 6, 8, and 9. Practicing a little a day seems to be working, so will keep working.

Edited by Nart

Both mine were 3, but my daughter had number reversals until 7. My son still reverses half of them, we are working on it. HWT is good at helping with making letters and numbers in the correct direction.

Interestingly, although they could also write their letters that early, neither of them had major letter reversal problems, just a few letters on occasion, but both of them had number reversal problems.

I also wonder if there is a difference in right and left handed kids. My oldest DS4 is a lefty and struggles with fine motor.

My oldest is a righty and is the weakest, fine motor wise. My middle son is a righty and has good fine motor skills - his numbers are very legible. He's still working on letters, but he has copied a whole sentence on the white board and it was legible. My youngest is a lefty, and at 2.5, his fine motor skills are awesome - better than either of his brothers. He's not writing numbers yet, but he does do a mean "T", and has accidentally done "A" and "M" (loudly announcing them in church :lol:). He has a perfect pencil grip, and when he draws circles or weird random roundish shapes, he'll end it at the exact spot he started. :001_huh:

Wow, how do you all remember something like that? I have no idea for my two older kids. I can tell you that my 3 year old girl cannot do that yet.

For many of us, I think it hasn't been that long. In a couple years, I'll likely have forgotten. :lol:

For many of us, I think it hasn't been that long. In a couple years, I'll likely have forgotten. :lol:

:iagree:

I never asked anyone with their youngest over age 5 baby questions, people had forgotten by then. My mom complained that I never called her for baby advice, so I asked her 5 quick questions...so didn't remember a single thing!! I told her that I didn't even ask my friends with older kids for this exact reason. She still felt a bit neglected, but admitted it was probably true.