Menu

Have you ever been to Africa?

Have you ever been to Africa  

1. 1. Have you ever been to Africa

• Yes
    • No
    • Other (Texas?)

Yes - South Africa, Zimbabwe, and Zambia. All stunningly beautiful. Well, I can't say that about Zambia, as it was night when we drove through;)

Lived just outside of Cape Town for four months and took several side trips (Garden Route, Stellenbosch, Vic Falls in Zimbabwe, etc.).

Africa is a HUGE continent!

In 2008 I went with a group to Uganda for 2 weeks. We held teacher training workshops and worked with teachers 2 schools-- one was a 'childrens home' that had 90 kids at that time (I fell in LOVE with those kids!).

I missed 'Africa' so much but I needed back surgery before I could consider returning-- so surgery in 2009 and I returned this past summer--and brought DH and 2 of my daughters with me!

We visited Kenya and Uganda-- spending 2 weeks in Kenya and 1 in Uganda. In Kenya I surveyed for some potential charity work and we took a family Safari in the Masai Mara (SPECTACULAR!). I HAD to return to Uganda so we DROVE (beautiful but LONG LONG drive) to the children's home I visited in 2008. Many of the children remembered my name 'Teacher Jann'... I remembered quite a few of theirs too. DH worked on the school computer network, oldest dd (20 at the time) took sponsor photos of the children, youngest dd (9yrs) got to attend school and play/visit-- she made some dear friends! I, of course, worked with the teachers--especially in Math.

I want to go back next summer--but with 2 girls currently in college-- I'm not sure how to pay for the trip... so I'm hoping/praying for 2013. I'd like to return to Kenya (and if there is any way the home in Uganda). I saw many opportunities for service in Kenya.

I'd move to East Africa if DH would let me...

My husband grew up in Kenya and Zambia.

We lived in Namibia for two years, and in South Africa for a year and a half.

We left our hearts in Namibia and have wanted to return since the day we left. Our plans are to go back as soon as possible. At this time our house is for sale and we are getting rid of unnecessary stuff.