Menu

I gave up scrapbooking and I'm so happy!

This weekend I spent about 3 hours organizing photos from 1993-2006. They were mostly in the envelopes they came in which is why it took only 3 hours - I had to flip through them a little, but it was basically putting envelopes in order.

Then I spent another 2 hours getting 1997-1999 into an album. Just a plain photo album with acid-free plastic sleeves and a little spot next to each for writing. The 2 hours included time spent sorting through and choosing the best ones for the album (I'll keep the extras & duplicates in a box). I didn't do any of the writing b/c I need a new pen. But I am just so happy and relieved that I got such a huge chunk done!

This has been weighing on me heavily since I began scrapping with Creative Memories in 1996. All I have to show for that is 2 huge bins of paper & supplies, and 3 unfinished albums. I will try to finish the albums b/c there are some special photos on those pages, but other than that, I am DONE scrapping and am forging ahead with actual photo albums!

{breathing sigh of relief}

Awesome! I have a huge Rubbermaid bin FULL of pictures in envelopes. Many are doubles. I always said I'd scrapbook them and bought the supplies to do so. It has never happened and I highly doubt it ever will. Now all I have is guilt whenever I see the bin or the scrapbook supplies :glare:.

What do I enjoy doing when I visit family? Looking through their plain, old picture albums :D. Your post made me the see the connection. Thanks!

I could never see myself as a scrapbooker, but I do a very minimalist sort for the dc each year. It's just a touch fancier than a plain old photo album, but it's as much energy as I can muster. I think it's a lovely hobby for those who have the time and inclination, but it does seem like quite a bit of work!

I'm with you.... kind of!

I scrapbooked a lot in the 90's. After my divorce, I took those scrapbooks, selected my favorite pages and then took the rest and divided them up into the kids' albums. Each child has a scrapbook of their life from birth to about 2005. From there, they can take over if they ever want to (or their future wives... you know, my sons probably wont scrapbook!).

I never thought I would stop... and hesitated to use a digital camera because I wanted "pictures". But now I have so much MORE fun using online programs (free ones) to set up gifts (I do have to pay for those... lol) like calendars, mouse pads and coffee cups with photos and books. The books I have made have all cost WAY less than any scrapbook and they are done is a much shorter amount of time....

I do have one empty scrapbook that a daughter got me a year ago. I don't know what I'll do with it. She was so proud of this gift for me. I need to come up with a great idea and enjoy doing it.... but, I don't know what...

Enjoy your new found freedom!!!

I'm right there with you! I stopped scrapping about 4 years ago. I had SO MUCH GUILT as a result of quitting because I had a lot of albums for DD, but my boys each only had one. But then I decided that our blog would be our new 'scrapbook', and I have my photos organized on my computer too.

It was a relief to get rid of all of the supplies though...I had a whole room dedicated to scrapbooking. Sold it all at a garage sale. :D

I still scrapbook but I've totally changed my style since I'm busier now. When I had more time, I did all the fun stuff. Then I felt guilty that I didn't have enough time to do that anymore. I saw an old photo album once that was just pictures on black pages and it was lovely. So now I do simple albums, no stickers, no titles, just paper, photos and little writing (I've also let go of the idea that each page must have a whole story that goes with it).

I can sympathize with you. I started scrapbooking about 8 years ago but I only got to about page 6 in one book and only did the cover in the 2nd book. Recently though my older (step) kids have gotten really into it so we decided to meet once a month and have a scrapbooking party. It will just be us girls but that's okay. Maybe they can motivate me to finish what I started so long ago...

And I bought new books for my younger kids (10 and 9) so that they can make their own "sports" book with us. If I can finish their "school" book then I will be happy. Then maybe I can just do a regular album for their "life" book.

And, I also felt guilty that I never completed it:tongue_smilie:

Enjoy!

So funny this came up now. I was just wondering the other day (as I was cleaning out 6 year old never used scrapbook supplies) if people in the US still did scrapbooking! Right before we left the US it was a big thing but I got only about 4 pages done per kid before we moved to India and I moved on to digital books. Oh well, my daughter has had tons of great paper to use for school projects! :glare:

I've pretty much given up on it too... except i've changed over to using Project Life. Sooooo much easier to plop photos into the album, write a bit of journaling on a card and put it in a slot. I feel so much less guilt and the family loves looking through it :)

I do like to dabble a bit in digital scrapping though...

I've pretty much given up on it too... except i've changed over to using Project Life. Sooooo much easier to plop photos into the album, write a bit of journaling on a card and put it in a slot. I feel so much less guilt and the family loves looking through it :)

I do like to dabble a bit in digital scrapping though...

What is Project Life??

I've compromised... Basically doing what you did for daily photos and then doing all-out, fancy, embellished scrapbooks for vacations. Everyone loves looking at them, and they've given me a way to still be able to enjoy full-on scrapbooking without the guilt of never being able to keep up.;)

Some years, I also do a Christmas scrapbook album. Some years, not, and the photos just go into the regular albums.

Edited by Sugarfoot
add'l. info.

Once I made my first digital scrapbook (photo book) I was hooked--

No scraps to pick up off of the floor-- and no waste! I happily gave away my materials. My kids even enjoy digital scrapbooking so much more. We occasionally have pictures printed (usually for frames)-- but no more piles of pictures! I'm making a dent on my pre-digital photos--I'm scanning them!

After our trip to Africa this summer my 9yo put together a wonderful photobook with journaling--and had it printed out on Shutterfly (we had a great coupon!). She is so proud of her 'book'-- in fact she took it to school today to show her teacher/class (my only dd not homeschooled).

I love digi scrapping, too! My friend got me photoshop last year for Christmas. I love not printing pictures I will never use. I love not having to store said pictures. I make artsy and fun pages without having to have boxes and boxes of paper and embellishments. I gave them all aways, except for a bit of the paper, and love staring at my nice, clean closet. I don't feel guilty anymore. It's a fun passtime for me. It's not as expensive as paper scrapping and I really do get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

But, paper scrapping? I'm so glad to get rid of that!

I switched over to digital!! It's makes a world of difference :)

But TOTALLY giving up on scrapbooking???????????

:svengo:

ditto! :) I just don't know what to do with all these paper supplies... keep thinking maybe I will be inspired to do them but I just love digital so much. I print out the 12x12 pages and put them in my albums so the albums are still the same, just flatter pages. I have about 40 scrapbooks and the kids love them.

But OP, I think having them in photo albums is fab too -- at least they are sorted and viewable. Whatever works for you!

This weekend I spent about 3 hours organizing photos from 1993-2006. They were mostly in the envelopes they came in which is why it took only 3 hours - I had to flip through them a little, but it was basically putting envelopes in order.

Then I spent another 2 hours getting 1997-1999 into an album. Just a plain photo album with acid-free plastic sleeves and a little spot next to each for writing. The 2 hours included time spent sorting through and choosing the best ones for the album (I'll keep the extras & duplicates in a box). I didn't do any of the writing b/c I need a new pen. But I am just so happy and relieved that I got such a huge chunk done!

This has been weighing on me heavily since I began scrapping with Creative Memories in 1996. All I have to show for that is 2 huge bins of paper & supplies, and 3 unfinished albums. I will try to finish the albums b/c there are some special photos on those pages, but other than that, I am DONE scrapping and am forging ahead with actual photo albums!

{breathing sigh of relief}

I gave up too and it has been a HUGE weight off my shoulders too. I bought some cheapo acid free albums too and now at least my pictures are out for the world to see instead of sitting in a box! My next step is to sell off most of my scrap stuff. I will never have time to do it and I have lost the urge to even try!

Its sooo freeing, isnt it???