Menu

The 99 - (CC production)

My 12yo daughter was given a ticket to the production of "The 99" being hosted by a local HUGE church during the month of October.

I had never heard of it and followed the link on the ticket. I don't want to give you too much information or color your opinion with my own thoughts just yet.

My question is simple enough.

Look at the website (when your children are NOT around) and tell if me if you would allow your kids, 11yo and up, to attend?

http://www.whatisthe99.com/home.html

I so want to say something but I want your reactions first.

Absolutely NOT and it has nothing to do with the fact that it is about church or religion. That trailer was straight-up horror and scare tactics. If that is what they have to stoop to to get people into the fold then it speaks to their 'grasping at straws' not to the effectiveness of their message. Terrorizing children? That is the new game? yuck. :glare:

They might be putting a new spin on it, but it's still a Hell House and churches have been doing this for years.

11 - 15 or so? No way. Older teens, I guess, if they really wanted to. Is it faith-based? I can't find anything on the website that says it is. I think I'd actually have more of an objection if it were faith-based. I'm a Christian, and I think teens need to hear the truth about choices and consequences, and they need to hear the gospel, but I don't think scare tactics (like "Hell Houses") are appropriate. I also don't think they're very likely to produce long-term disciples.

11 - 15 or so? No way. Older teens, I guess, if they really wanted to. Is it faith-based? I can't find anything on the website that says it is. I think I'd actually have more of an objection if it were faith-based. I'm a Christian, and I think teens need to hear the truth about choices and consequences, and they need to hear the gospel, but I don't think scare tactics (like "Hell Houses") are appropriate. I also don't think they're very likely to produce long-term disciples.

Yes, it is evangelistic but you won't find that on ANY of its information.

I think that's even less appropriate. Scare tactics and then completely ambushing teens when they're emotionally vulnerable? At least with most "Hell houses" it's clear up front what the point is. Conviction of sin and the need for Christ is the job of the Holy Spirit, not some special effects team and actors.

I think that's even less appropriate. Scare tactics and then completely ambushing teens when they're emotionally vulnerable? At least with most "Hell houses" it's clear up front what the point is. Conviction of sin and the need for Christ is the job of the Holy Spirit, not some special effects team and actors.

Not to mention that after a little googling I read about how the kids are ushered into a room to talk to "counselors" and asked to give name, address, phone number, email address, etc. Yikes again. :001_huh:

:iagree: None of mine would attend.

Not to mention that after a little googling I read about how the kids are ushered into a room to talk to "counselors" and asked to give name, address, phone number, email address, etc. Yikes again. :001_huh:

I did not see that...hmmm, we are Christians, but I would not be okay with that.

Guest submarines

Edit: Okay, I completely missed the point (shows me not to play videos in two windows simultaneously). I thought it was an anti-drug / anti drunk driving campaign.

I agree with all of the above posters. Completely inappropriate, on every level.

Edited by sunflowers

Looks like a super charged hell-house.

I had the unpleasant experience of going to one in college. Emotionally manipulating people in order to prompt spiritual decisions is not something I am interested in perpetuating.

Not only would I not allow my young teens to attend, I would seriously question all future activities sponsored by the church that thought a hell-house was appropriate.

I think most of you know I'm one of those YE, Reformed, Biblical-literalist, missions-minded type Christians. I completely believe in openly sharing my faith with others.

I have major, major problems with this production.

My immediate thoughts were that the site looked EVIL. My next thoughts were...

dark

graphic

inappropriate

scary

terrible

HORRID way to evangelize

deceptive

gimmicky

behavior-based rather than Gospel-based

I wouldn't let my daughter anywhere near this event. She would be completely traumatized.

Obviously it is a big deal in town though because my daughter was given a ticket tonight from a girl at Junior High Awanas and our neighbor (who attends this church) gave us a stack of tickets this afternoon. They are all in the trash can now.

No, we don't attend this church and don't attend any of their events.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!! And H-E- Double Hockey sticks, NO!!!

(I haven't read the replies yet, I just had SUCH a strong, emotional reaction to the beginning of the clip, I had to respond. I could only watch the first few seconds, as soon as I realized what it was, I had to close it.)

I went to one JUST like this when I was 16, SIXTEEN!! and it scared the crap outta me!! And not in a, "I'm gonna change my ways" sorta way. It was horrible. It also REALLY turned me off of religion b/c it seemed so "backhanded". Plus, I couldn't imagine Jesus wanting to scare people into following him. I could never trust nor attend a church that supported these things.

STILL, to this day, 14 years later, I have flashbacks of that Hell House. I wish SO BADLY that I had never went and never got those images stuck in my head. Please don't do that to a sweet innocent 11 year old :(

ETA: I just went through and read your reply and thank GOODNESS you are so sensible :) Seriously. At the age of 16, I decided I could NEVER go to a church that used such craziness to try to get people to become a Christian. FTR, I am a Christian, but I struggled during my teen years.... that Hell House I went to did NOT help me, it had the opposite effect. I would seriously wonder about the sanity of any person who tried to "sell" these tickets to me and/or my child.

I think it would be bad enough for a kid to have to experience that stuff in real life, it is my hope to protect DS as much as possible (from traumatic events), so that he never has to experience them.... why would I put him through a simulation???

Edited by Gao Meixue

I think most of you know I'm one of those YE, Reformed, Biblical-literalist, missions-minded type Christians. I completely believe in openly sharing my faith with others.

dark

graphic

inappropriate

scary

terrible

HORRID way to evangelize

deceptive

gimmicky

I wouldn't let my daughter anywhere near this event. She would be completely traumatized.

Daisy, I COMPLETELY agree with ALL of the above.

I couldn't make it past the eerie music and the red eye.

No no no no no. WHY do people think this pleases the Lord??? :(

dark

graphic

inappropriate

scary

terrible

HORRID way to evangelize

deceptive

gimmicky

Obviously it is a big deal in town though because my daughter was given a ticket tonight from a girl at Junior High Awanas and our neighbor (who attends this church) gave us a stack of tickets this afternoon. They are all in the trash can now.

No, we don't attend this church and don't attend any of their events.

:iagree:No way would this be OK for my kids. I would not hesitate to mention my feelings when talking to the people who put on this trash or invited me.

I grew up Baptist and we had some of those scare you straight movie nights. Please, do not do that to your children, anyone. It still shudders me to think about it. I want my kids to serve God out of love and obedience, not because fear of pain.

...I assumed it was going to be emotionally manipulative.

...I should say that I am not a Christian.

I *am* a Christian, and I completely agree with the emotionally manipulative bit. I don't like emotional manipulation in religious settings. BTDT too many times.

Did you see that the red eye becomes the symbol for an R rated movie (I think that's what it is)?

I noticed it, too, and wondered if it's indeed rated R? It's a confusing advertisement.

No way would I let my 11 and 13 year olds see this movie. I watched those rapture movies when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s, and I used to have nightmares about them.

What is a hell-house?

Well, then. Just say "no" to deception.

FWIW, I never liked those evangelical haunted house type things designed to scare kids into believing. What kind of faith is that, huh?