Menu

Why so many negative reviews on Amazon for Sign of the Beaver?

tammyw

Most here rave about it, but I see there are quite a few negative reviews on it. Here is one example:

"My child started having problems in school and came home in tears after being assigned to read and watch sign of the Beaver a fictional history that perpetuates negative stereotypes of Native Americans as well as misleads and romantisizes the colonial period. This book has detrimental effects on Native Children and as an educator I can not recommend purchasing such a book, unless the teachers plan on having deep discussions and critical thinking assignments involved on a daily basis after each reading."

Since I haven't read it, I am trying to decide if we want to use it in our American History reading this year. Any advice?

My son (5th grade, age 10) is really, really enjoying it. Almost every book we enjoy has negative reviews somewhere!

I absolutely agree. I always look at the negative reviews first, and can pretty quickly figure out whether they are reasonable reviews or not. The reviews for this one just had me a little curious.

Our history club had a Native American speaker. She specifically mentioned that book as one she would love removed from reading lists.

Sounds like she might agree with some of the reviewers of the book. Did she mention which books she recommended?

That's odd. I don't feel like it did either of those things. The kid has a hard time, the Natives save his life, he tutors the Native in English bc his father the chief wants him to know how not to be conned. We used Winterpromise, and their book selection overall does anything but paint Colonials in good light....very strange. I thought it showed the conflict of both sides well.

My dd was 9yo when we read Sign of the Beaver as part of our curriculum. She did not like the portrayal of Native Americans. It seems like the ceremonial dancing, in particular, was described in demeaning ways.

I had been told that the book was important when it was written because it acknowledged that white settlers could learn a lot from Native Americans. We discussed that idea, but nothing could persuade dd that the book was anything other than offensive.

Oyate's site explains the Native Americans' objection to this book in great detail.

Good book selections would be:

The Arrow over the Door

Birchbark House

Children of the Longhouse (although this is pre-European arrival, not sure if you want time period or just good book about Native Americans)

Thank you so much!

One other issue I can see with it is that it's one more of those books that tell the story of "the other" from the POV of a white person rather then letting the primary voice be that of the people themselves.

I never got that objection until a show called "Black Harbour" came on TV here. It was set here in Nova Scotia but the main character was from Ontario and the series often seemed to be from that POV. It was extremely irritating to watch being from Nova Scotia because although it was supposedly a regional drama about Nova Scotians it was really about this one charcter and his/her (can't remember now) experience amidst "the other". Locals in the show were caricatures, NOT characters. It was the illusion of Nova Scotia, not the truth of it.

There was similar talk about The Help. Dances With Wolves, Last of the Mohicans, Avatar even...All stories about the us amongst them, not about the people who mainly populated the pages or screen.

Not to say those aren't great stories, just that they can be tiring when you see your people used to tell yet another story that's not truly about you.

I saw it as favorable to American Indians. If anything, it revealed stereotypes through the reading of Robinson Caruso that the "natives" are not stupid or willing to be slaves. If anything, the Indian is portrayed as the one who knows what to do in the forest and the white man as ignorant. I was siding with the Indians in not having their land taken away by the white man. Maybe I'm missing the negative portrayal? I guess anything that may have been a negative stereotype was missed by me?

Beth

I saw it as favorable to American Indians. If anything, it revealed stereotypes through the reading of Robinson Caruso that the "natives" are not stupid or willing to be slaves. If anything, the Indian is portrayed as the one who knows what to do in the forest and the white man as ignorant. I was siding with the Indians in not having their land taken away by the white man. Maybe I'm missing the negative portrayal? I guess anything that may have been a negative stereotype was missed by me?

Beth

I think there's a difference between a sympathetic portrayal and a mature portrayal. It's not that the natives were the bad guys or portrayed as universally stupid or mean. The portrayal was sympathetic but they were still talking that 'Hollywood indian' English, still talking disrespectfully of native women. Still acting like caricatures, not true, sophisticated and independent agents.

It's sort of like the noble indian or mystic black character. They're sympathetic, we like them. They seem good. But they're still an unsophisticated and shallow stereotype. And they generally only exist to further the story of the main and white character. Think Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood. They aren't full and complicated people in their own right.

None of this means people shouldn't enjoy the story but it's probably not best for a unit on Native Americans and you should consider a discussion of how even good/sympathetic characters can perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

:iagree: Apparently we missed this too. Yes, it was from the white boy's perspective...I thought it was showing how his view towards Indians changed (for the better) when he actually got to know one. :confused:

I think there's a difference between a sympathetic portrayal and a mature portrayal. It's not that the natives were the bad guys or portrayed as universally stupid or mean. The portrayal was sympathetic but they were still talking that 'Hollywood indian' English, still talking disrespectfully of native women. Still acting like caricatures, not true, sophisticated and independent agents.

It's sort of like the noble indian or mystic black character. They're sympathetic, we like them. They seem good. But they're still an unsophisticated and shallow stereotype. And they generally only exist to further the story of the main and white character. Think Morgan Freeman in Robin Hood. They aren't full and complicated people in their own right.

None of this means people shouldn't enjoy the story but it's probably not best for a unit on Native Americans and you should consider a discussion of how even good/sympathetic characters can perpetuate harmful stereotypes.

This sounds like a good way to approach this book. I think we will do it as a read aloud so we can discuss all of this together.

One other issue I can see with it is that it's one more of those books that tell the story of "the other" from the POV of a white person rather then letting the primary voice be that of the people themselves.

I never got that objection until a show called "Black Harbour" came on TV here. It was set here in Nova Scotia but the main character was from Ontario and the series often seemed to be from that POV. It was extremely irritating to watch being from Nova Scotia because although it was supposedly a regional drama about Nova Scotians it was really about this one charcter and his/her (can't remember now) experience amidst "the other". Locals in the show were caricatures, NOT characters. It was the illusion of Nova Scotia, not the truth of it.

There was similar talk about The Help. Dances With Wolves, Last of the Mohicans, Avatar even...All stories about the us amongst them, not about the people who mainly populated the pages or screen.

Not to say those aren't great stories, just that they can be tiring when you see your people used to tell yet another story that's not truly about you.

NM. I see you covered it!

Oyate's site explains the Native Americans' objection to this book in great detail.

Good book selections would be:

The Arrow over the Door

Birchbark House

Children of the Longhouse (although this is pre-European arrival, not sure if you want time period or just good book about Native Americans)

Thank you for posting this. I had been to the site once before, but had forgotten about it. It is a very good site.

That's odd. I don't feel like it did either of those things. The kid has a hard time, the Natives save his life, he tutors the Native in English bc his father the chief wants him to know how not to be conned. We used Winterpromise, and their book selection overall does anything but paint Colonials in good light....very strange. I thought it showed the conflict of both sides well.

:iagree: We are about half way though it right now with WP and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I think it shows both sides of the coin very well.

I completely get this. We live in West Virginia and are constantly dealing with caricatures of West Virginians in movies and on TV. Thanks for posting this!

Beth

This was my take as well. I thought it used the story to turn first Matt's mind around about Indians and then the readers.

We also loved "The Birchbark House" but other than "being about native american's" I don't see what they have in common. There can and should be more than one book that speaks to the "native american/settler experience"

Beth

:iagree: My dd and I read it as a read-aloud last year and she enjoyed it. It showed how getting to know the Indian and his ways Matt was able to appreciate him and his knowledge.

We read this last year with WinterPromise 1 and my son (then 7) loved it. In fact, my husband and I enjoyed it as well and did not find it offensive and we both come from Native American families. (we are in okla. and are each 1/32 NA with many NA relatives by marriage as well)