Menu

Does anyone study up on future curriculum?

In a thread recently, I saw someone mention that they used to study ahead of their children, ie studying logic stage stuff while their kid was in the grammar stage. I was wondering how many people did this and any details you want to give (how far ahead did you study, did you buy the curricula and practice it yourself, etc). I thought it sounded like a good idea. For me, I had never even heard of diagramming a sentence before I read WTM. I'm still not exactly sure what it is, but I've seen some of the sample pages on PHP's website. I just wondered when I would need to worry about it. Obviously, kindergarten is not so hard. But I have a feeling algebra will sneak up on me and knock me out. :bigear:

I did. I bought math books and studied a few years ahead of my kids. I used Saxon...which I no longer use with my kids, but that was available to me then. I also taught myself grammar by working through A Beka's Grammar books. I did have some grammar in school, but not enough to teach high school level, nor the level in which I wanted to teach my kids and understand it myself for that matter. I worked through Henley Latin, Memoria Press's Logic 1& 2, many videos on teaching literary analysis, books on writing and teaching the essay etc.

I also worked through a great amount of Ambleside Online and House of Education Online...reading and writing narrations. I worked through much of Well Educated Mind....and I am still working through that one:D

In the years we used TOG, I tried to find time to work the Rhetoric Stage assignments while my kids were in the Grammarnand Logic stages.

I also worked through Life of Fred maths up to Advanced Algebra. I love Fred!

This year I am working through Spielvogel's Western Civilization as I use logic and grammar level texts with my younger kids. We are only in the beginning and I have studied World Hx many times already, so if my studies fall off, I'll be ok. :D

Anyway, pick a subject....find the Rhetoric Level rec.s in the WTM and enjoy.

HTH,

Faithe

I did. I bought math books and studied a few years ahead of my kids. I used Saxon...which I no longer use with my kids, but that was available to me then. I also taught myself grammar by working through A Beka's Grammar books. I did have some grammar in school, but not enough to teach high school level, nor the level in which I wanted to teach my kids and understand it myself for that matter. I worked through Henley Latin, Memoria Press's Logic 1& 2, many videos on teaching literary analysis, books on writing and teaching the essay etc.

I also worked through a great amount of Ambleside Online and House of Education Online...reading and writing narrations. I worked through much of Well Educated Mind....and I am still working through that one:D

In the years we used TOG, I tried to find time to work the Rhetoric Stage assignments while my kids were in the Grammarnand Logic stages.

This year I am working through Spielvogel's Western Civilization as I use logic and grammar level texts with my younger kids. We are only in the beginning and I have studied World Hx many times already, so if my studies fall off, I'll be ok. :D

HTH,

Faithe

This is a MUCH better answer than mine, and yes, this is how I do it. That's what 'reading ahead' meant.

Must stop using shorthand...

HTH,

Faithe

This is a MUCH better answer than mine, and yes, this is how I do it. That's what 'reading ahead' meant.

Must stop using shorthand...

Thank you both for your answers. (I forgot to look at your siggies.) Did you guys homeschool any of you kids in high school? Do you think studying ahead made a very noticeable difference?

Me! Me! I do a little every day. I have an hour-long commute to and fro and I always carry a homeschooling-related book or workbook in my office bag.

1. The Singapore model method. I work through a few challenging gr 6 problems whenever I get time.

2. Diagramming, which I like because I am a visual learner; although I still can't see the usefulness of it.

3. A bit of Latin, which I have temporarily put aside to revise grammar concepts first.

4. Grammar (worked through Harvey's Elementary Grammar).

5. Spelling rules (which I was never taught).

I know there is more, but this is what I can recall now.

In a thread recently, I saw someone mention that they used to study ahead of their children, ie studying logic stage stuff while their kid was in the grammar stage.

;) Was that me? I have said this over and over. I am a bit of a worrier who relaxes by planning. I have found that I can really click through a book for a 7th grader and familiarize myself with the nomenclature and the concepts of a topic so I can start to INTRODUCE THEM IN NORMAL CONVERSATION. I think children learn much better this way that memorizing.

I read 2-5 years ahead, depending on the topic. I am 2 years ahead in math, more than that in diagramming, and I'm looking at 7-8th grade science and working on how I can get some of the quantification out of it to apply it to kiddo when he's 10. After I'm in bed, I stroll through history books for 12 year olds, some interpreting art books, the odd history of music, etc.

I also try to pack in some books I'd like him to read in high school.

These are some examples. I keep a nice, sturdy (Moleskine) flip up notebook about 5x7 with tabs on subjects and ideas/sources jotted down.

HTH, and :bigear:

Thank you both for your answers. (I forgot to look at your siggies.) Did you guys homeschool any of you kids in high school? Do you think studying ahead made a very noticeable difference?

Yes, my Dd16 just went to ps this year as a junior (we were stuck between a rock and a hard place as to her needs to obtain a license she was schooling for).

Ok, not to wig you out, but studying ahead is the only way you can do it. Latin, Logic, Algebra (Dh took that one over) Writing, Classic Literature, yes, you HAVE to. It's not something you can wing. You can't have a discussion on aspects of Gilgamesh's character arc if you haven't read it. You can't tie the hero's journey in with Odesseyus is you haven't read them. You need to stay ahead, and if you start now, you won't be cramming. ;)

This is what it means to build a culture of education. Kalanamak is right, it needs to come up naturally, too, and the only way it does is if you know it.

YEEEEEEEARS ahead. Planning is easier than actually turning off the computer and doing what I have here. :glare:

:D

;) Was that me? I have said this over and over. I am a bit of a worrier who relaxes by planning. I have found that I can really click through a book for a 7th grader and familiarize myself with the nomenclature and the concepts of a topic so I can start to INTRODUCE THEM IN NORMAL CONVERSATION. I think children learn much better this way that memorizing.

I read 2-5 years ahead, depending on the topic. I am 2 years ahead in math, more than that in diagramming, and I'm looking at 7-8th grade science and working on how I can get some of the quantification out of it to apply it to kiddo when he's 10. After I'm in bed, I stroll through history books for 12 year olds, some interpreting art books, the odd history of music, etc.

I also try to pack in some books I'd like him to read in high school.

These are some examples. I keep a nice, sturdy (Moleskine) flip up notebook about 5x7 with tabs on subjects and ideas/sources jotted down.

HTH, and :bigear:

Maybe it was you? It was someone on either Joanne's post or the S/O. I don't remember who, I just remember being intrigued. Then realizing how much work I need to do and I better get busy. Thank you for all your help.

Yes, my Dd16 just went to ps this year as a junior (we were stuck between a rock and a hard place as to her needs to obtain a license she was schooling for).

Ok, not to wig you out, but studying ahead is the only way you can do it. Latin, Logic, Algebra (Dh took that one over) Writing, Classic Literature, yes, you HAVE to. It's not something you can wing. You can't have a discussion on aspects of Gilgamesh's character arc if you haven't read it. You can't tie the hero's journey in with Odesseyus is you haven't read them. You need to stay ahead, and if you start now, you won't be cramming. ;)

This is what it means to build a culture of education. Kalanamak is right, it needs to come up naturally, too, and the only way it does is if you know it.

Ok, knowing that I HAVE to do it makes me feel better. I think I relax by planning too. My biggest reason for homeschooling was to give him the best academically. I can do this. Just gotta figure out when :001_huh::lol:. I was listened to SWB's talk about educating ourselves awhile ago. I think it had some good ideas too. Better get started.

I don't want to study the hard math though. Waaaaaaaaaah. Is there a way to send dd across the country to intern with my dad, who is the math guy? I'll do all the science & English & logic (diagramming is easy!), dh can do the history, but math....
Skype? I am having the same anxiety over math and science. I'm now wondering if I should buy MUS and work ahead, just to get an idea of what's coming. Or if I should study Khan's Academy. I mean, it is free, but not what I'm planning on using for high school math. And honestly, I'm hoping the DVDs with MUS and Steve explaining things will help me. And if MUS absolutely fails, then I'm going with TT. And if that absolutely fails, I'm hiring a math tutor.

I plan to go through Khan Academy to refresh my math. I was also able to read the 3 Prentice Hall Science Explorer bundled books for middle school. It was stuff I had learned about before, but I needed to refresh my memory so that it can come up in conversation. Science is my weakest point so I started with that. Next, I need to work on writing and math. I want to be doing well with subjects through 8th grade and then look into which high school science etc to go through. I've mostly used the library and ILL to get things to help me. And I hope to have dual enrollment at cc available for my girls when they are older. When I see a book suggested here I try to make a note of it and see if I can ILL it. I'm really grateful for the suggestion of the AG writing books since I know I will need help with the teaching aspect of writing. :)

I plan to go through Khan Academy to refresh my math. I was also able to read the 3 Prentice Hall Science Explorer bundled books for middle school. It was stuff I had learned about before, but I needed to refresh my memory so that it can come up in conversation. Science is my weakest point so I started with that. Next, I need to work on writing and math. I want to be doing well with subjects through 8th grade and then look into which high school science etc to go through. I've mostly used the library and ILL to get things to help me. And I hope to have dual enrollment at cc available for my girls when they are older. When I see a book suggested here I try to make a note of it and see if I can ILL it. I'm really grateful for the suggestion of the AG writing books since I know I will need help with the teaching aspect of writing. :)

What are those? :bigear:

Hmm...I think that poster might have been me.

I study in advance because, like Justamouse wrote, you have to. There really is no other way if you want to give your children a really good education.

I recommend starting with the subjects you're the least comfortable with (you mention diagramming and math in your first post) and then adding more subjects. Don't take on too much at once or you're overwhelm yourself and end up doing nothing. Ask me how I know. ;)

You might also want to start reading the great books now even though your children won't be studying them for a long time. I highly recommend TWEM for getting you started on that front.

I generally don't buy curricula several years in advance because new resources are constantly becoming available and I don't want to end up constantly buying and reselling. I generally use library books and online resources to educate myself.

There was something else I was going to say and now I've completely forgotten what it was. I'll be back later when I remember. :001_smile:

I study in advance because, like Justamouse wrote, you have to. There really is no other way if you want to give your children a really good education.

I recommend starting with the subjects you're the least comfortable with (you mention diagramming and math in your first post) and then adding more subjects. Don't take on too much at once or you're overwhelm yourself and end up doing nothing. Ask me how I know. ;)

You might also want to start reading the great books now even though your children won't be studying them for a long time. I highly recommend TWEM for getting you started on that front.

I generally don't buy curricula several years in advance because new resources are constantly becoming available and I don't want to end up constantly buying and reselling. I generally use library books and online resources to educate myself.

There was something else I was going to say and now I've completely forgotten what it was. I'll be back later when I remember. :001_smile:

Thanks, that's a lot of excellent advice. I downloaded and printed off the sample WWS and am excited to look through it. I'm just bummed that I have two articles to write today and cooking, cleaning, diaper changing in the way right now :glare:. Marathon, Megan, marathon. But I'm excited. I was hoping that homeschooling my kids would help educate me. It sounds like fun.

I've realized I need to be doing more of this. I just requested SWB's ancient history book from the library. Both copies are out. :( But I'm the first one asking for it. :) I'm still ahead of them in math, but I really should be brushing up on science as my own science education is pathetic. I am good in grammar and writing I think, at least for now. One thing I wish I had been studying up ahead of them is Latin. Their vocabulary outstrips my own by now and I really should work to at least have the words memorized.

ETA: For math, I've come to the conclusion that an online class or outside class of some sort will be the best solution for us very soon, possibly next year for my ten year old. Especially as she and I seem to butt heads over math quite a bit.

Edited by Mimm

Teaching the middle and upper grades intimidates me, so learning ahead sounds like a good plan for me to prepare. But, if you do not buy curriculum ahead of time, what are you using to study?

When I read this thread title I thought it said, "Does anyone study up on furniture curriculum?" I was thinking there is furniture curriculum? What is there to learn exactly:lol:!

oh you know, differences between king and california king. ana-white.org. stuff like that :lol:

Are you saying we need to add this to our line up or the kids will have gaps?:tongue_smilie:

Of COURSE!!!!:svengo:Don't you know our arrogance knows no bounds? We must stay ahead of PS no matter the cost. Did you not receive this info in your "Everyone homeschools for exactly the same reason" monthly newsletter? Tsk tsk tsk.

My children are all young now, but I'm trying to get a head start on:

• Latin -- I'm still slogging through Henle at a snail's pace, but something is better than nothing.
  • Grammar -- I'm trying to fill in my grammar gaps, especially diagramming (which we never did in school).
  • Math -- I've been learning about "Asian" math (e.g., Singapore PM) and hands-on math lab approaches (e.g., Hands-On Standards, Miquon), practicing mental math, and shoring up weak areas of elementary math through online study (e.g., Math Mammoth website, Khan Academy).
  • History -- This year I'm reading in preparation for our U.S. History studies for the following two years (K/2nd & 1st/3rd).
  • Literature -- I'm reading some of the Great Books well ahead of time, and this has been the most relaxing and enjoyable preparation.

I wish I could add music theory, French, German, Greek, and more to my study line-up, but it would be too much for me.

Teaching the middle and upper grades intimidates me, so learning ahead sounds like a good plan for me to prepare. But, if you do not buy curriculum ahead of time, what are you using to study?

Did you see the next in my post? I mostly use online resources and library books. For instance, I can't imagine a library that doesn't have a large selection of great books. I got WEM and SWB's adult history books from the library before buying them. I read science, religion, history, math, art, and grammar books from the library. I did buy curricula for Latin and Greek, but that was the exception rather than the rule. If you're lucky enough to have a library that has Teaching Company course, then I highly recommend you check them out.

Then there's the internet which just has so much information and has been an invaluable tool for my learning.

HTH:)

I tried to do this with MCT which I was planning on starting in third grade, my dd6 found the books within a week and read 80 pages of Grammar Island in one sitting. Does anyone have any suggestions for reading ahead with an accelerated learner without having to completely scrap your prior plans when they find the new items that have come into the house?:tongue_smilie:

Always.

Many years ago, we discussed classical, rigorous homeschoolings more around here. Many wise ladies gave great advice about studying content and skill subjects ahead of our dc rather than spending our time on elaborate lessons for 4 yos. :D We used to have a lot more discussion about self-education. I am so glad I took it to heart, because there is just absolutely no comparison between teaching a subject you know and one you don't, especially in the junior high and high school years.

I think the most important areas are logic, rhetoric, writing, and literature. You can find some excellent math programs with great instruction, but the subjects I listed don't just require instruction, they require feedback to the student from a knowing teacher/mentor. And they are the subjects where you shape who a student is, not just what they know. Those are the ones you want to handle yourself.

Looking back, if I had to make a hierarchy, I would say first concentrate on making sure you have solid spelling and grammar skills. If you can integrate grammar and spelling instruction into everyday life, your dc will become better writers. Always read the literature they are reading, as well as a few higher level classics each year. The sooner you can get those basics in place the better. Then make sure you know math up through pre-algebra at least. By the time your oldest is in 3rd or 4th grade, start working on logic, because then you can gently introduce the terminology during the course of the day. Then learn the language of literary analysis and discussion. By the time they are in 6th, start studying rhetoric. If you have extra time, learning Latin is helpful (again, though, there are some great video programs and online classes in this area.)

I tried to do this with MCT which I was planning on starting in third grade, my dd6 found the books within a week and read 80 pages of Grammar Island in one sitting. Does anyone have any suggestions for reading ahead with an accelerated learner without having to completely scrap your prior plans when they find the new items that have come into the house?:tongue_smilie:

I have my teacher prep materials in a bin on my top closet shelf. They do not even know it exists. ;)

I don't have a problem with buying materials ahead. As they get to high school, it becomes less about the curriculum-of-the-moment and more about time-worn classics. HTRAB, Strunk & White, Wheelock's, Aristotle... you can buy these with confidence. :D I do try to buy other materials than the actual curriculum we are using, thogh, because the whole point is for me to add additional, deeper information.

Always.

Many years ago, we discussed classical, rigorous homeschoolings more around here. Many wise ladies gave great advice about studying content and skill subjects ahead of our dc rather than spending our time on elaborate lessons for 4 yos. :D We used to have a lot more discussion about self-education. I am so glad I took it to heart, because there is just absolutely no comparison between teaching a subject you know and one you don't, especially in the junior high and high school years.

I think the most important areas are logic, rhetoric, writing, and literature. You can find some excellent math programs with great instruction, but the subjects I listed don't just require instruction, they require feedback to the student from a knowing teacher/mentor. And they are the subjects where you shape who a student is, not just what they know. Those are the ones you want to handle yourself.

Looking back, if I had to make a hierarchy, I would say first concentrate on making sure you have solid spelling and grammar skills. If you can integrate grammar and spelling instruction into everyday life, your dc will become better writers. Always read the literature they are reading, as well as a few higher level classics each year. The sooner you can get those basics in place the better. Then make sure you know math up through pre-algebra at least. By the time your oldest is in 3rd or 4th grade, start working on logic, because then you can gently introduce the terminology during the course of the day. Then learn the language of literary analysis and discussion. By the time they are in 6th, start studying rhetoric. If you have extra time, learning Latin is helpful (again, though, there are some great video programs and online classes in this area.)

Thank you for posting this. I'm taking notes.

I'm working on it, currently I'm hitting grammar and spelling very hard as it is fundamental and the hardest area for me. Both dh and I love Math and Science and had no issue with it. I'm trying to do more classical reading but need to hit it harder. I'm starting with the abridged versions on some. Dh has studied some on Latin, Rhetoric and Logic but I really haven't and that is on my list as well. I'm looking ahead on curriculums that I know I will need and trying to research what ones I think will work.

Angela, what do you recommend for logic? I have used Memoria Press' Traditional Logic 1 and was not impressed. I would love to find something else for my self education.

I started with Canon Press' logic series, and then I moved to Copi & Cohen's Introduction to Logic (which is no introduction! :001_huh:) That's the book the Bluedorns recommend for advanced high school logic, and it is meaty.

The good news is that many of the best resources for high school and self ed are old college textbooks, so they are cheap. I think I paid about $5 for the logic book. I never have to spend much on self ed (except the stupid D'Angelo progym book, which is never cheap used.)

Edited by angela in ohio

I started with Canon Press' logic series, and then I moved to Copi & Cohen's Introduction to Logic (which is no introduction! :001_huh:) That's the book the Bluedorns recommend for advanced high school logic, and it is meaty.

The good news is that many of the best resources for high school and self ed are old college textbooks, so they are cheap. I think I paid about $5 for the logic book. I never have to spend much on self ed (except the stupid D'Angelo progym book, which is never cheap used.)

Do I need to use the Canon Press' materials before I tackle Copi & Cohen? Or can I immediately start with the latter?

Can you compare Copi & Cohen to Peter Kreeft's logic book (I suddenly remembered that I already own that :blushing:)?

I hear you on the D'Angelo book...I have been waiting for ages now for a cheap copy :glare:.

Do I need to use the Canon Press' materials before I tackle Copi & Cohen? Or can I immediately start with the latter?

Can you compare Copi & Cohen to Peter Kreeft's logic book (I suddenly remembered that I already own that :blushing:)?

I hear you on the D'Angelo book...I have been waiting for ages now for a cheap copy :glare:.

We have MP logic materials here, so interesting to read this rec...

Always.

Thank you for the great post. So much helpful advice. And thank you everyone else.

This is going to be a long and windy post, there are so many things floating around in my head right now.

First, I decided that I need to brush up on the basics right now: grammar, logic, writing. I will probably buy the FLL and WWE books ahead and work through those. I don't remember which covers diagramming, but I really need to learn how to do those. DH was surprised that I had never even heard of diagramming til I read WTM. It's funny, as we go along in our life, we find out what a good job his dinky, podunk school did at educating him. And my great big, wealthy suburban school kinda failed in a lot of areas. We were discussing logic as a formal curriculum and he was surprised we had never covered that either. My geometry teacher said proofs weren't important and just completely skipped them. We only did a little logic in my freshman writing class at college. All I remember was the discussion of logical fallacies. I couldn't even tell you what they were.

I went ahead and downloaded and printed off SWB WWS sample. Oh. My. Heck. It's just so amazingly brilliant. I read the part about copia (writing sentences in different ways) and thought it was amazing. DH and I have been struggling with different ways of saying things in the articles I write and in the business plan he's writing. So very grateful that I'll probably get to use all SWB's curricula. She makes it easy enough to use, but has such great content.

I am confident enough in math to get through algebra. Once Pigby hits the middle grades, I'll have to focus more on the upper grades. Geography was really easy for me to learn, but I don't remember all the rules and would need a little bit to reacquaint myself with them (and learn what those blasted proofs are).

A couple months ago, it was super late at night and DH and I were so tired. But we started talking about the decimal system. Silly me, I thought our "decimal system" meant that we used the decimal. No, apparently it means that we have 10 numerals and that's our base. So then he started explaining a binary system and how you would count on that. Then he was explaining how it would be if we had a base 16 number system. It was so mind blowing to me. I was just amazed, it would never have occurred to me to think that it could be different. I knew binary code existed in the computer world, but I have no idea how. And then I asked if he thought it would be worth teaching the kids when they are older. And he said, "I guess, but I can't really see why." And I was like, "Who knows? Maybe someday someone will figure out a use for a base 8 system that will change the world." And he said it was doubtful. But I said, "You never know. I bet no one thought binary would be as important as it is now."

Anyway, I just can't help but think there's so much to learn in this world. So much that I never knew existed. And I know I won't be able to cover it all. But I am really excited at the possibilities.

I do study ahead in math, I'm working through Lial's Intro Algebra right now. I also pre-read the books that my oldest son reads. I honestly just stay a few days ahead of him in literature, just so that I have it fresh in my mind. Otherwise, I love learning with them. They love the fact that we are all learning together, even mom.

A couple months ago, it was super late at night and DH and I were so tired. But we started talking about the decimal system. Silly me, I thought our "decimal system" meant that we used the decimal. No, apparently it means that we have 10 numerals and that's our base. So then he started explaining a binary system and how you would count on that. Then he was explaining how it would be if we had a base 16 number system. It was so mind blowing to me. I was just amazed, it would never have occurred to me to think that it could be different. I knew binary code existed in the computer world, but I have no idea how. And then I asked if he thought it would be worth teaching the kids when they are older. And he said, "I guess, but I can't really see why." And I was like, "Who knows? Maybe someday someone will figure out a use for a base 8 system that will change the world." And he said it was doubtful. But I said, "You never know. I bet no one thought binary would be as important as it is now."

After I started taking courses in my Comp Sci major, I started teaching my dc binary and hex at home immediately. So many programming students were getting caught off by those (and by logic,) because it was so new to them.

After I started taking courses in my Comp Sci major, I started teaching my dc binary and hex at home immediately. So many programming students were getting caught off by those (and by logic,) because it was so new to them.

I'll have to keep that in mind here as computer programming is on our list in a few years. Dh does a LOT of programming at work though and thankfully he can take over that job. Ironically I started out as a Comp major but switched- which is why I had Calc and Trig as a Social Worker :). I'm hoping that we can divide and conquer various subjects. I know I've heard him make very lame nerd jokes about the binary number system---one reason I love him!

So far, I've been relying on staying just a bit ahead of DD because it's all material that I've had before & I only need a bit of a refresher. This thread is acting as a bit of a kick-in-the-pants, however, to remind me that I ought to teach myself logic now since that's something I've never studied.

Are they using a base 6 numeral system in computer programming now? I will have to tell my husband: "Ha ha! See, someone DID invent a way to use another system"

I know I've heard him make very lame nerd jokes about the binary number system---one reason I love him!

DH told me one that goes, "There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can ready binary and those that can't." :lol: If you know of others, please let me know.

Are they using a base 6 numeral system in computer programming now? I will have to tell my husband: "Ha ha! See, someone DID invent a way to use another system"

DH told me one that goes, "There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that can ready binary and those that can't." :lol: If you know of others, please let me know.

Ha- well- tbh my eyes somewhat glaze over :) he goes into an insane amount of detail , telling me about lines of codes he writes and what it does and such, well beyond what I understand.

Hexidecimal..rats, hexadecimal (one of the words I always misspell). It's base 16, I believe. And, I guess it qualifies me as "mathy" that I've already told my K and 2nd grader about different base systems. Over lunch. :lol: Yeah, it's a real party going on at my house...

Always.

What an awesome post.

Did you see the next in my post? I mostly use online resources and library books. For instance, I can't imagine a library that doesn't have a large selection of great books. I got WEM and SWB's adult history books from the library before buying them. I read science, religion, history, math, art, and grammar books from the library. I did buy curricula for Latin and Greek, but that was the exception rather than the rule. If you're lucky enough to have a library that has Teaching Company course, then I highly recommend you check them out.

Then there's the internet which just has so much information and has been an invaluable tool for my learning.

HTH:)

Thank you so much for posting this--I hadn't heard of the Teaching Company courses, and our library has quite a few. I've already requested a couple! :001_smile:

Hexidecimal..rats, hexadecimal (one of the words I always misspell). It's base 16, I believe. And, I guess it qualifies me as "mathy" that I've already told my K and 2nd grader about different base systems. Over lunch. :lol: Yeah, it's a real party going on at my house...

Yep, base 16. My Introductory Computing Systems (so mostly hardware) course was about 25% writing binary code by hand (good times! :lol:) and 10% solving problems in hex. It was also about 25% logic problems (truth tables, etc.)

Thank you so much for posting this--I hadn't heard of the Teaching Company courses, and our library has quite a few. I've already requested a couple! :001_smile:

They are discussed at the high school (AND self education) board frequently, so you can get some good recommendations for specific titles there.

And a reminder to those with littles to check that board out for ideas. :001_smile: