Menu

"Lemon tree very pretty....

....and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat."

Does anyone else remember that song? Or, am I showing my age?

I actually didn't even google that. I just remember it. I think I remembered it correctly. I'll have to look later to see who sang that.

But.....anyway. Does anyone else eat lemons? I mean....cut open an actual lemon and eat it?

My 7 year old loves them. She doesn't eat them a lot. But, dh brought home a bag of lemons yesterday (I don't know why)....and she was so excited. Last night and tonight that was what she wanted as her snack before bed....half a lemon.

I like lemon-flavored things. But....I have a hard time just putting my tongue on an actual lemon! :tongue_smilie: :eek: :ack2:

ETA: I just went to youtube and found it. It was by Peter, Paul, and Mary. My mom loved them and had a lot of their albums....so I heard them a lot.

Edited by ~AprilMay~

I remember that song! I had the album way back when.

When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me, "Come here and take a lesson from the lovely lemon tree. Don't put your faith in love, my boy," my father said to me. Remember that love is like the lovely lemon tree."

(From memory--is that right?)

I remember that song! I had the album way back when.

When I was just a lad of ten, my father said to me, "Come here and take a lesson from the lovely lemon tree. Don't put your faith in love, my boy," my father said to me. Remember that love is like the lovely lemon tree."

(From memory--is that right?)

Oooohhhh.......sooooooo close! That's really good though for remembering that much. I could just remember the part I quoted. Click on my link and follow along with what you typed. Really close. :D

....and the lemon flower is sweet, but the fruit of the poor lemon is impossible to eat."

Does anyone else remember that song? Or, am I showing my age?

I actually didn't even google that. I just remember it. I think I remembered it correctly. I'll have to look later to see who sang that.

But.....anyway. Does anyone else eat lemons? I mean....cut open an actual lemon and eat it?

My 7 year old loves them. She doesn't eat them a lot. But, dh brought home a bag of lemons yesterday (I don't know why)....and she was so excited. Last night and tonight that was what she wanted as her snack before bed....half a lemon.

I like lemon-flavored things. But....I have a hard time just putting my tongue on an actual lemon! :tongue_smilie: :eek: :ack2:

ETA: I just went to youtube and found it. It was by Peter, Paul, and Mary. My mom loved them and had a lot of their albums....so I heard them a lot.

I remember it (and I like lemons:)). Of course I showed my age a little while back by making a reference to the Group W bench.

I have both of these songs on my iPod. :D

OK, I am really showing my age here. My Dad loved the Kingston Trio (he passed away when I was 14) and he would listen to them all the time. I remember that they did a rendition of this song.

Would that have been before Peter, Paul and Mary?

Yep. But I like PPM's better. If we're going for kingston trio I really love 'raspberries, strawberries' ...

Ray sings a version of this song on an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond! I never knew it was a real song - I thought he made it up!

It's the one where Debra's mom is visiting and Debra is upset that she doesn't want to be a part of the family and ends up saying that she wishes her mom was more like Marie.

It looks as if tons of people have recorded this song. I did not know that the Folk Song groups in the late '50s and early '60s did so much recording of each other's songs.

Written by Will Holt, "Lemon Tree" was recorded by the Kingston Trio on their "Goin' Places" album in 1961.

Peter, Paul, and Mary formed in '61 and recorded "Lemon Tree" on their first album in 1962 called "Peter, Paul and Mary". It was a big hit for them.

Trini Lopez also had a bit hit with it again in 1965.

Several other big names also recorded this little song. Catchy, isn't it. Now I just can't get it and "Tom Dooley" out of my head.

Does anyone else remember that song? Or, am I showing my age? .

A couple of weeks ago we bought a large lemon tree, and I kept humming "...all that I can see is just another lemon tree", a line from Lemon Tree by Fool's Garden, from 1991. Dh, faced with the same tree sings "lemon tree very pretty", from 1962. He's older than me, but not that much older. :lol:

And here is dd's Lemon Face, from when she was 10 months old.

post-11183-13535085496599_thumb.jpg

Edited by nd293

My youngest also loves eating lemons - but hates lemonade. He's loved eating lemons since he was a toddler. We've met one other youngster like him, but that's it.

I'm guessing it's just a strange assortment of taste buds. There doesn't seem to be any harm in it.

It looks as if tons of people have recorded this song. I did not know that the Folk Song groups in the late '50s and early '60s did so much recording of each other's songs.

Written by Will Holt, "Lemon Tree" was recorded by the Kingston Trio on their "Goin' Places" album in 1961.

Peter, Paul, and Mary formed in '61 and recorded "Lemon Tree" on their first album in 1962 called "Peter, Paul and Mary". It was a big hit for them.

Trini Lopez also had a bit hit with it again in 1965.

Several other big names also recorded this little song. Catchy, isn't it. Now I just can't get it and "Tom Dooley" out of my head.

I don't know much about music rights, but they were clearly playing by a different set of rules back then. I have "Lemon Tree" by Peter, Paul, and Mary on CD, but my dad was also a big Kingston Trio fan, so I'm sure I've heard that version many times as well.

Another song that it seems like everyone performed is "Blowin' in the Wind." I have both the Chad Mitchell Trio version and the Peter, Paul, and Mary version on CD, and of course Bob Dylan sang it also. (He wrote it.)

A couple of weeks ago we bought a large lemon tree, and I kept humming "...all that I can see is just another lemon tree", a line from Lemon Tree by Fool's Garden, from 1991. Dh, faced with the same tree sings "lemon tree very pretty", from 1962. He's older than me, but not that much older. :lol:

And here is dd's Lemon Face, from when she was 10 months old.

Soooo cute! I showed the picture to my dd and we both had a good laugh! :lol:

My youngest also loves eating lemons - but hates lemonade. He's loved eating lemons since he was a toddler. We've met one other youngster like him, but that's it.

I'm guessing it's just a strange assortment of taste buds. There doesn't seem to be any harm in it.

So I guess the song isn't really true....for some people, it's not impossible to eat. :001_smile:

Ya know....I love those old PP&M songs from when I was a kid (my parents named my sister after a PP&M song). My mom also listened to Simon & Garfunkel, Helen Reddy, The Carpenters.... Something about those old groups......so much better than the stuff we have today (I think). I wonder what our kids will remember us listening to when they are grown? They'll say, "My mom used to listen to this all the time".

I remember it (and I like lemons:)). Of course I showed my age a little while back by making a reference to the Group W bench.

We mention the Group W bench at least once a week here.

And I remember the lemon tree song quite well.

Of course, I also remember camping on the beach with my friends and harmonizing to "It I Had a Hammer" with my friends. So, there you go.

We mention the Group W bench at least once a week here.

And I remember the lemon tree song quite well.

Of course, I also remember camping on the beach with my friends and harmonizing to "It I Had a Hammer" with my friends. So, there you go.

You and your friends sound a little wild. :D

Where you a flower child?? :001_smile:

I wonder what our kids will remember us listening to when they are grown? They'll say, "My mom used to listen to this all the time".

For my daughter, it will be just about anything (especially from my husband)--he likes almost all kinds of music. The exceptions would be bluegrass singing (though the instrumental is okay) and American rap (he prefers foreign rap as it tends to be more political and less vulgarity for the sake of being vulgar). My bet is that she will most remember Pink Martini and Weird Al.:001_smile:

The other day she told him he wasn't supposed to like "her" music (ie anything currently on the radio, which includes covers of a ton of songs from our childhood;)). He wasn't supposed to "rock." He suggested she listen to a bit of what he liked when he was about her age and pulled out some Iron Maiden. Then I told her about getting Kiss' Destroyer album in my Easter basket when I was 13. Kind of puts Taylor Swift to shame in the "rocking" department:). Now, though, I see that Kiss has a coffeeshop----the mind reels! http://www.kisscoffeehouse.com/

Sadly, I missed the boat on that, chronologically.

This would have been in the late 70s, which means we were actually pretty nerdy.

Oh....so you were just a flower-child-wannabe nerd.

:D

For my daughter, it will be just about anything (especially from my husband)--he likes almost all kinds of music. The exceptions would be bluegrass singing (though the instrumental is okay) and American rap (he prefers foreign rap as it tends to be more political and less vulgarity for the sake of being vulgar). My bet is that she will most remember Pink Martini and Weird Al.:001_smile:

The other day she told him he wasn't supposed to like "her" music (ie anything currently on the radio, which includes covers of a ton of songs from our childhood;)). He wasn't supposed to "rock." He suggested she listen to a bit of what he liked when he was about her age and pulled out some Iron Maiden. Then I told her about getting Kiss' Destroyer album in my Easter basket when I was 13. Kind of puts Taylor Swift to shame in the "rocking" department:). Now, though, I see that Kiss has a coffeeshop----the mind reels! http://www.kisscoffeehouse.com/

I'll have to show my son that link. He just bought a Kiss t-shirt the other day. He loves all those old bands.

I used to like to suck on lemons as a child. I think I would prefer limes now though.

You know what's weird? I don't think I've ever tasted an actual lime. :blushing: I've had lime flavored stuff (like jello and pop)...but never an actual lime. I'll have to try one. :001_smile: