Menu

Put cat to sleep or keep in guest room?

Our cat is repeatedly peeing and sometimes pooping on things. I took him to the vet several months ago and found nothing wrong. She thinks it was stress. His pee does smell sickening sweet, and he begs for food very often, but other than that he acts normal. He has been vomitting fairly often, like 4 times per week, but that has always been fairly normal for him. We have had him for 15 years. We have no interest in treating him for any diseases. We are very fed up with him peeing on things, but I really think he will stop if I lock him in the guest room with his litter box and food.

He is also on soft food because hard food is hard on his stomach, so I have to feed him several times a day and I don't know what we are going to do with him during our upcoming trip. Probably just see if he can handle hard food for 10 days. We have no one we trust to house sit, and a boarding house would stress him out too much.

He peed on the pile of laundry yesterday, and I agreed to get him put down because I am just so tired, and I convinced myself that he is sick. It is hard to keep up with multiple litter boxes and cleaning the laundry when he pees on it, or throwing it out. DH was supposed to drop him off at the animal shelter while I was sleeping, but the cat came in my room and slept with me. Now I keep thinking I could put him in the guest room. I would visit him often, sleep in there occasionally, and he hides in there a lot anyway. I don't think I can go through with putting him down.

WWYD?

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Putting the cat in the guest room will not help his stress, you may make your life easier wrt not having to deal with the pee, but how does it improve the cats life?

I have been in the exact same position and in the end we had her put down, my only regret is not doing it sooner for the cats sake and ours.

Thank you. I wrote a note to go with him, but I am still undecided and having a hard time.

***** was adopted around 15 years ago. He has always vomited fairly often, and even more so as he gets older. I have tried switching him to mostly canned food. He does much worse with his stomach and bladder on dry food. We have had an ongoing problem with him using things other than the litterbox for relieving himself, after one vet visit about a year ago we decided to try to reduce his stress levels, but the problem keeps occurring. He seems to have all of the symptoms of diabetes including sweet smelling urine. He dislikes children and other pets. We think it may be best to put him to sleep.

Poor kitty. :(

I'd take him off your hands if I lived anywhere near you…

I'd better not say anything else here.

Oh, I meant if it was a serious ongoing thing... like shots and pills for the rest of his life. Chasing him down and gagging/poking him everyday would most likely add to his stress level. Edited by Lovedtodeath

I'm sorry. :grouphug:

Fifteen years is a nice long life for a kitty. In light of the ongoing vomiting problem, I would assume that he's not living a comfortable life at this point. I would have the vet put him to sleep, and I would plan on seeking a new furry companion as soon as you're back from your trip. :grouphug:

You drop him at the animal shelter to be put down? Did I understand that correctly?

I am no cat person, but that is not the way to have a cat put down. If you are going to do this, and I am not arguing otherwise, you or your husband should go to the vet with him and be with him while the procedure is done. I don't even see that as negotiable.

Terri

You drop him at the animal shelter to be put down? Did I understand that correctly?

I am no cat person, but that is not the way to have a cat put down. If you are going to do this, and I am not arguing otherwise, you or your husband should go to the vet with him and be with him while the procedure is done. I don't even see that as negotiable.

Terri

I agree entirely. You take the responsibility to care for it to the end when you take it on.

Terri

The only difference between the vet and animal control is that animal control is less expensive. We couldn't both go, so we decided that DH would, since I would not be able to drive due to crying.

So... if his health worsens we will revisit this decision.

Terri

Yes. Then, please do not get another cat. There are reasons for the things they do, often health related. Many cat foods today are full of fillers that cause allergic reactions, especially dry food. Wheat is often a culprit. I would agree that a second vet opinion is called for, but if the the expense or interest are out of the question, then have the courage to take him to the vet to be put to sleep. I can't see how the quality of his life is going to improve at this point.

He is also on soft food because hard food is hard on his stomach, so I have to feed him several times a day and I don't know what we are going to do with him during our upcoming trip. Probably just see if he can handle hard food for 10 days. We have no one we trust to house sit, and a boarding house would stress him out too much.

I hope I am not reading this correctly. Are you planning to lock him into the guest room for ten days with a large quantity of hard food, water, and a litter box, with nobody coming in to care for him ?

:grouphug: Are there particular items that he always eliminates on? Our two cats (they're 7) will absolutely without a question pee on a pile of laundry if it's left accessible. But if it's in the hamper, no problem. We have to keep our closet doors shut too. Once the temptation is eliminated, they are awesome cats. Is it the peeing and pooping random or always in the same spot?

As far as the puking goes, we have pukers too. Does your cat eat anything other than cat food or have long fur? Sometimes some extra brushing or hiding away the people food helps. Our cats are lactose intolerant. I'm still trying to block out the time they both drank egg nog. :tongue_smilie:

Thank you. This problem with puke and pee all over the house has been going on for years now and DH threatens to kick kitty outside once every couple of months.

Generally he will go in a pile of laundry. We have tried to improve but it is very difficult for us. We average 2 loads of laundry a day and my health isn't always good... He has used a bean bag, laundry folded in a basket, and blankets too.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Since an animal cannot understand its own illness, when the animal gets to the point that creature comforts no longer provide any pleasure (eating, petting, companionship, lying in the sun, etc), it's time to let it go. A human can decide to tolerate pain, medications, etc because there are things outside of himself to continue to live for. An animal really only understand what he feels.

Barb

ETA: We went through the exact same thing with a cat who was a couple of years younger. She cried all the time and tried to climb in our laps, but then couldn't get comfortable. She was so pathetic. We felt guilty putting her down and kept hoping she would die naturally, but in retrospect it was more cruel to let her hang on for a year longer than we should have. We finally put her down when we were moving across country. There was no way she could have made the trip.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Since an animal cannot understand its own illness, when the animal gets to the point that creature comforts no longer provide any pleasure (eating, petting, companionship, lying in the sun, etc), it's time to let it go.

Barb

Thanks. I don't think he is to this point, which is why we decided not to go through with it.

Yes. Then, please do not get another cat.
Oh, fer cryin' out loud! :rolleyes:

The cat is *fifteen years old*. Clearly it's been well cared for, or it wouldn't have made it to this ripe old age. This is not a case of negligent pet ownership.

Thanks Julie. She is right though. I have found caring for cats to be quite a bit for me to handle and will not be getting any more cats.

Since an animal cannot understand its own illness, when the animal gets to the point that creature comforts no longer provide any pleasure (eating, petting, companionship, lying in the sun, etc), it's time to let it go.

Barb

ETA: We went through the exact same thing with a cat who was a couple of years younger. She cried all the time and tried to climb in our laps, but then couldn't get comfortable. She was so pathetic. We felt guilty putting her down and kept hoping she would die naturally, but in retrospect it was more cruel to let her hang on for a year longer than we should have. We finally put her down when we were moving across country. There was no way she could have made the trip.

He does purr when I hold him, and follows me up and down the stairs, so he isn't that bad. He is just now unable to jump onto the big bed, but can still jump onto the smaller ones. He does meow inexplicably, I will keep a watch out to see if that gets worse.

Thanks Julie. She is right though. I have found caring for cats to be quite a bit for me to handle and will not be getting any more cats.

It sounds like it hasn't been easy, and you've continued on for a long time. I completely understand if you decide not to undertake pet ownership again, but the blatant implication that you're unfit to care for an animal because of end-of-life decisions with one cat is beyond ludicrous. :glare:

We have a cat that is coming up on 18 years now.

A couple of years ago, he started pooping and peeing on the carpet. Turns out, he just couldn't get to his box in time where we had it in the basement. We moved it onto the main floor where he spends most of his days and he gets to it better now - he doesn't cover it but he gets to the box. Cats actually get distressed if they don't make it to the box - its innate.

He has been a vomiter all his life - we bought a steam cleaner.

His vomiting got worse and we had to start giving him wet food 3 times a day due to pancreatitis (need for higher calorie meals). That helps with the vomiting some.

He has to take pills every day due to an overactive thyroid that's made him lose weight.

He has to get shots every couple of months due to a hip displaysia.

He goes on hunger strikes when we leave him for the weekend, even with a cat sitter who comes in 3 times a day. Longer than they, we have to board him at the vet and they have to love on him for a long time each day to get him to eat.

Its what we take on when we get a pet. I never thought he'd be around this long - and now he has a 6 month old companion to keep him spry and who he is teaching bad habits to (like picking out only the parts of his wet food that he likes and leaving the rest on his plate).

If you can't care for a pet, find someone who can but don't just put him down because its inconvenient for you. If he's suffering, its one thing but it didn't sound like he was.

even if you have to get a friend to drive you.

I personally would try seeing if a very strict diet and/or treatment for an underlying illness would help. It sounds like he has some life in him yet.

But if you decide to put him down, it just really strikes me that there is potential for angry feelings here. If this has caused contention, then I think the person who really loves and cares for the cat should accompany him in passing on, especially since you originally said something like (not quoting here) DH dropping him off at the shelter. It didn't sound like a loving passing, you know? If it's going to be a "DH passing cat on to someone else to take care of it" type deal, I think you should channel your own calmest, strongest self, and be there for your feline buddy. BTDT, hardest thing, but it feels good in the end to know that you did your best for an animal who trusted you. It ends up being part of how you think of that pet in later years, and I'd hate for you to look back on this and regret the way it was handled, even if euthanasia is ultimately the right choice.

Lovedtodeath, I have a 12 year old Persian cat who stays in our master suite all the time. He's not allowed in the rest of the house, because he will pee, but he does perfectly in the bedroom/bathroom and is quite happy as far as I can tell. He is quite overweight, but always has been. Sometimes he gets out because Schmooey doesn't always remember to close the door, and every time, he finds something to pee and poop on. He started this at our old house, and kept it up once we moved here. I tried putting him in the laundry room, but he was VERY unhappy. He does well in my room because we're in and out of there all the time and he gets to sleep with us. He can still get up on our bed when he likes.

This is a silly thing to consider, but could you put a step by your bed that would allow him to get up on it still? People do this for their dogs all the time.

Our Siamese cat is a puker and always has been. I don't think he throws up 4x per week all the time, but he certainly has his weeks. Lord help me if he sneaks out and eats grass! :eek::svengo: And, my two Persians are quite regular pukers of hairballs, even with hairball control food and all that good stuff.

We had some friends who kept their elderly cat in their bathroom. I didn't think I would ever consider doing that, until Simon decided to have issues. I tried to have him put down, but the vet didn't want to do it so they left me alone with him until I changed my mind. :) Honestly, I am glad he's still here. It's not the life I would have chosen for him, certainly, but he still gives and receives love and purrs like no other cat. He is the son of our very best cat ever who died young from kidney failure, and we have quite a soft spot where he in concerned. It seems a little ridiculous from time to time, but he is happy and I am happy and dh is happy that he's still here, so we deal with it.

:grouphug: It's so hard when you're trying to decide if your pet's time has come. It nearly kills me every time. I'm sorry.

I am glad you are looking for a housesitter. Most professional petsitters also take care of your house, ie water plants, bring in mail, turn porchlight on and off. They are expensive but much better at caring for pets - especially older, higher maintenance ones, than someone who is just a house sitter.

When an old animal is not miserable or uncomfortable, still enjoys life, but is just messy and a lot of work, I choose to take care of them. It is a big commitment though. I realize not everyone can do it.

I have a 17 yo dog. She is deaf and mostly blind. I have to feed her 4x a day because her metabolism is very fast due to heart issues. She eats a huge amount of food for such a little old dog. Her biggest pleasures are walking in circles in the yard, feeling the sun on her face, sniffing the wind, and snuzzling me and giving me kisses. She makes a lot of messes. When I am old I will probably make messes too. She is still enjoying life and I am choosing to do what I can to help her continue to enjoy it until she is ready to be done. The messes and constant care get tiring...but I know it is not forever. When she has lost her pleasures in life, I will let her go. I will be surprised if she goes through this winter.

To keep the kitty off the laundry I would suggest vertical hampers with solid sides anywhere in the house that laundry, clean or dirty, usually gets stacked. It sounds like he can't jump up into them, and if they have solid plastic sides he won't be able to pee on them.

If you decide you can't let him continue to be with you in the house (will be locked into a room alone), and he would be lonely, I would choose to put him down rather than have him be unhappy. But if he would be comfortable and happy lounging in a sunbeam on his own and not be lonely and can still get some attention from you when you care for him, that might not be so bad. You know your kitty best and how he will feel about living in one room.

BTDT, hardest thing, but it feels good in the end to know that you did your best for an animal who trusted you. It ends up being part of how you think of that pet in later years, and I'd hate for you to look back on this and regret the way it was handled, even if euthanasia is ultimately the right choice.

:iagree: If this is what ends up needing to be done, I would find a way to be with him until the very end. Our oldest dog 3 yrs ago passed in my lap with me stroking her head. She was my dog for 13 yrs. I am glad she was with me at the end. I am glad I was able to love on her in her last moments. I wouldn't give that away.

Edited by laundrycrisis

Maybe it's hyperthyroidism? My cat began vomiting quite a bit. A blood test can tell you. It's 2 pills a day and not too expensive. The generic is about $25 for 3 months worth of pills.

Anyhow if you are not likely to want to pursue medical, I would lean toward euthanasia if you can not find someone who would be willing to take the cat.

My other cat got very sick and we couldn't afford to go to a vet. Husband had no job at the time and I was only part time. Barely getting by.

My cat lingered for way too long and I feel horrible for not having had her put to sleep much sooner. I feel guilty that she suffered and was miserable.

I had a cat with diabetes. Lots of peeing. I would fill one entire trash can (outdoor trash can) with his used litter each week. (At least he peed in the box and not on the laundry.) He also puked a lot.

In order to treat him, we gave him a shot in the scruff of his neck every day. Giving him the shot was easy. We would give it to him while he ate and he never even flinched (this was the cat that the vet had to wear big leather gloves with, because the cat was huge and aggressive.)

Sounds pretty easy...but it wasn't. Before knowing exactly how much insulin to give the cat, he had to have tests...and then more tests every couple of weeks, while upping the dose each time... and more tests. Meanwhile, he still peed non-stop, still puked a lot, was miserable from all the vet visits.

And in the end, we eeked out another year of life for him, and then he went into some sort of diabetic coma and had to be put to sleep anyway. It was horrible. I vowed that when an animal finally gets that last big sickness at the end of their life, I would just put them to sleep without making them go through rounds of treatments.

And about a year later, I vow had to be carried out. The other cat had something wrong with her that could have been fixed, (with lots of tests and visits to the vet, which terrified her). We chose to have her put to sleep.

And--for putting them to sleep. I've had to have 5 cats put to sleep. Three of them had untreatable illnesses and the last 2 had treatable illnesses (see above.) For the first cat, I took her to the vet and the vet took her into the back room and put her to sleep and then let me see her body. For 17 years I have regretted Not holding her while she died. So, for the next 4 cats, I made sure that I was there, holding them, as they died.

When I called the animal shelter, I found out that they don't put the cat to sleep right away, necessarily. They'll go into a cage and wait for the person who does that to come in to work. And sometimes it's a few days. Even if it's a few hours, it broke my heart to think of my pet sitting in a cage for hours, wondering why he was there, before the end.

Even though it breaks your heart and makes you cry great heaving sobs, I would recommend holding them and petting them as they go. It's very fast. I know that I regretted it when I didn't hold them, and I am satisfied that I did the right thing for the animal when I did hold them.

Edited by Garga

Carmen, thanks for understanding the intent behind my poorly phrased sentiment. We have always owned cats and the two we currently own are 14 and 15. Vomiting is an issue that has finally gotten better, but it took 12 years to figure out the allergies. We are committed pet owners and take exceptional care of them, but I am tired. I have never lived without them, but am thinking it may be time. There can be a time when you can no longer do what is right for them physically or emotionally. I am no way advocating putting down a pet for convenience sake, but this situation is an unhappy one and the animal sounds severally stressed. Either you take the time and the money to improve the pet's life or you find the next best solution for the animal's well-being.

I

I vowed that when an animal finally gets that last big sickness at the end of their life, I would just put them to sleep without making them go through rounds of treatments.

We have a different story in details but the conclusion was the same. I think our cat who I truly loved would have been better had we let her go as soon as we knew what she was facing rather than draw out her time with treatment to get a short time of reprieve followed by decline and repeat treatment. When we finally had no real choice my husband held and petted her while they put her to sleep. It was a better death than her life was at the end. I wasn't ready to let her go but I think holding on wasn't in her best interest. Further, I think you prioritize marriage over pets. :grouphug:

We inherited my Mums cat, she had all the stress issues and peeing. We spent a fortune trying to make her happy and she was not really much fun to have about. Catteries made her miserable, antidepressants made her miserable, life in general made her miserable. I felt exactly the same as you! Then Erro walked into our lives as a stray and changed my mind entirely, not all cats are like that.

It sounds like it hasn't been easy, and you've continued on for a long time. I completely understand if you decide not to undertake pet ownership again, but the blatant implication that you're unfit to care for an animal because of end-of-life decisions with one cat is beyond ludicrous. :glare:

:iagree:

Even though it breaks your heart and makes you cry great heaving sobs, I would recommend holding them and petting them as they go. It's very fast. I know that I regretted it when I didn't hold them, and I am satisfied that I did the right thing for the animal when I did hold them.

Our lovely Erro died last week at the vets, not put down, he died from a snake bite. I will eternally regret that I left him there for treatment and did not stay with him as he died barely half an hour after I left him and he hates the vets :( I guess it depends how much you love the animal, but I agree that to be there with them is unlikely to be something you regret later.

I wanted to come back and specifically address the "guest room". I wouldn't recommend restraining your cat to one room, but if he is peeing and pooping in wrong places, I would REDUCE his roaming area. Our cat who was pooping on the basement carpet no longer gets to go in the basement - we keep the door closed. He's fine with that and can get to his box now.

Cats are generally very modest animals - they get "embarassed" when they don't make it to their box, so he might be trying to "hide" his shame in where he is peeing and pooping. Making it easier for him to get to the box (or boxes, as you said) by reducing how much house he has access to will help.