Menu

Has anyone visited India? I have the opportunity....

Ria

My dh is going to India shortly. The trip is fairly sudden, but with his new position not totally unexpected. Anyway, he'll be there for 5 days or so. If I want, I can go; it's up to me. My parents can look after my teens, so that's not a problem.

I would be able to have a guide to take me to all sorts of interesting places in Delhi (and elsewhere should I decide to take a few day trips). The trip is short, though...5 or 6 days max, or so it seems at this point. The flight would be from the US to London and then to India. I don't have a problem being on my own most of the time (which I would be). Heck, if this was Rome, I'd be there. But we always studied western civ...I don't know much about India.

Any suggestions? Should I go? And if so, how to prepare?

I went as a young teen. I would go back in a second. Some of it was beautiful and vibrant, some terrifying and very sad. As far as preparation, I would focus on information about where you'll be specifically. It's a large country, and my experience with the south was very different from the north.

My dh is going to India shortly. The trip is fairly sudden, but with his new position not totally unexpected. Anyway, he'll be there for 5 days or so. If I want, I can go; it's up to me. My parents can look after my teens, so that's not a problem.

I would be able to have a guide to take me to all sorts of interesting places in Delhi (and elsewhere should I decide to take a few day trips). The trip is short, though...5 or 6 days max, or so it seems at this point. The flight would be from the US to London and then to India. I don't have a problem being on my own most of the time (which I would be). Heck, if this was Rome, I'd be there. But we always studied western civ...I don't know much about India.

My sister went with her husband because she won the trip on WoF. From what she's said, it was interesting but not fun. I'd probably go just for interesting.

We are going in a few more years with some friends from India. Their family is in the south in Bangalore, so we are going to spend a week there. We are going to spend a week around New Dehli as she was there when she was in College and wants to take her daughters.

This is what looks the coolest to me

Jim Corbett National Park

The price includes accommodation, food, and being picked up in New Dehli. On Day 3 you ride an elephant to go look at tigers!

You are a day trip from the Taj Mahal, I am sure there are lots of tours to there.

My dh and dd just got back. It was a fantastic trip for them. Things to know:

1) It's a malaria zone. You'll need to check on vaccinations (dd ended up needing hep A and Typhoid). You will also have to know all of the precautions for travelers diarrhea.

2) You'll need to be aware of culturally appropriate dress for women. Legs covered, loose fitting, high cut necks, ect.

3) The driving is nuts there. Be sure to hire local drivers. Driving is the most statistically dangerous thing you can do there.

4) It took us awhile to get their visas. I'm not sure how soon you're talking, but it took them 4 weeks to get theirs in. India outsources the process (that just tickled me), so it wasn't as easy as just showing up at the consulate.

As a woman, I think I would want a guide with me any time I ventured out. I think it's a unique opportunity, and I would definitely go for it. PM me if you'd like to see some of their pictures.

I've been to both Delhi and Mumbai. I'd go back to Delhi in an instant.

Some tips:

1. Drink bottled water.

2. Take probiotics with you and take them daily.

3. Consider taking a trip to Agra, where the Taj Mahal is. (It's a couple of hours from Delhi.)

4. There's a traditional market called Khan Market (near Lodi Gardens -- below), and a no-haggle large mall-like store called "Cottage Industries" http://www.cottageemporium.in/ with cool handmade goods from various regions of India. Both are interesting, for different reasons. http://goindia.about.com/od/shopping/tp/delhimarkets.htm

5. Lodi Gardens has some 15th-16th century architecture that we found interesting and beautiful. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lodi_Gardens

6. Try some samosas (potato-pea pastry) with chutney or catsup.

7. Get yourself a pashmina and or a miniature replica of the Taj. ;-)

8. If you like beadwork or mirror work, get some pillow covers, wall hanging or a duvet.

9. Don't give money to beggars, even though it's hard not to. If you must give money, wait until you are leaving the area, or you may be mobbed by other kids/beggars wanting money. (Sadly, the kids who're begging are often forced to give the money to an adult who takes all of it. If you give candy/food, you may be helping the child more than by giving him money.)

10. A head wobble (ear toward shoulders on both sides, often very fast) means "yes." Chin side to side (as we do) means, "No."

"Ha" means "yes."

"Nahee" means "no." (Say, "NaHEE" with emphasis on the second syllable.)

"Bus" or "Busbus" means stop/enough.

"Acha" (ah-CHAH, emphasis on second syllable) means "good/okay." ("Nahee acha" means - roughly - "not okay.")

"TEEkay" means "all right/okay."

"Namaste" (nuhmustay) is a polite way to say hello/goodbye. (When said with palms pressed together, it conveys respect. It is used instead of hugging or handshake.)

1 - ek

2- doh

3- teen

4- char

5- panch

Food options are often presented as "veg" (vegetarian) or non-veg (meat). "Mutton" is goat, not lamb. Milk, if to be drunk, is served lukewarm.

PDAs in public are frowned upon. Many/most Indians don't hug.

Smile. Use a driver recommended by the hotel or your hosts. Try something new. Keep your purse close to your body. Expect to be asked some relatively personal questions - it's common in India. ;-)

If you go, take lots of photos. :)

Lisa

In addition to the Taj Mahal (which is a MUST see), there is some kind of bird park in nearby Bharatpur. In Delhi, there is the Delhi Fort and I think the Red Fort (or is that in Agra - or am I thinking about the Agra Fort - can't remember). But if you have enough time to go a little out of the way, see if you can go to Jaipur. AWESOME historical city (everything is pink!) and a most beautiful palace.

You should hire an English-speaking guide in each city. The guides will tell you a lot about the history, arts, etc. of each place. They will take care of all the logistics such as entry fees, parking taxes, etc. They'll take you to some nice shops in between the main attractions. Be sure you tip them well at the end.

If you stay in nice hotels, you'll have most of the comforts of home. When you venture out, bring plenty of tissue, hand sanitizer, and bottled water. The bathroom facilities in some places are quite primitive.

Expect merchants to haggle. Ignore the many beggers (including children) whom you'll encounter. And don't faint when you see a whole family of 5 or 6 riding by on a single moped, LOL.

I loved India and look forward to going back with my kids.

Are the 5-6 days inclusive of the travel there/back? Are you paying for the ticket?

While I think it would be pretty neat to go to India, I would need to be there longer to make it worth the expense, and I would question my ability to enjoy without being severely jet-lagged, etc. (I think flying east helps with jet lag on the way there, IIRC).

But if you go, have a marvelous time!!

Are the 5-6 days inclusive of the travel there/back? Are you paying for the ticket?

While I think it would be pretty neat to go to India, I would need to be there longer to make it worth the expense, and I would question my ability to enjoy without being severely jet-lagged, etc. (I think flying east helps with jet lag on the way there, IIRC).

This is my thought, too. If the five or six days includes the travel days, that's only 3 or maybe 4 days actually in India, right? I don't think I'd, personally, choose to go to that expense for that short a time.

Just my 2 cents...

I've been twice and will be going back in a few years with all 3 of my small ones. I really enjoyed it both times I went. 5 days is a short period considering the travel time and jet lag, but I would still do it. I would definitely do the Taj and Red Fort. I can't remember everywhere we have gone, or the names, since we had family taking us there (my FIL is from India all his family still lives there in the New Delhi area). There is a ton to do and see in the area, and I would go to a traditional market area, just to experience it, even if you don't plan to buy anything there, and as someone has mentioned Cottage Industries is a nice place to find souvenirs as well.

I forgot about the jet lag! They flew east going there (via Hong Kong and Singapore) and the jet lag wasn't bad. Coming back it was brutal.

If I were in your shoes (with teens) and a trip to India... and decent health, then I would go in a heartbeat. YES! Go and take it in.

My aunt went last year for one week and said it was "life changing," but she's dramatic like that. LOL.

You said that if it was Rome, you'd go. India may be less familiar to you, but that's part of the adventure, I think. And India has changed and shaped the world, too, just a different part of it.

Do you have any Indian acquaintances or friends where you are? Could you ask them how to prepare and what to do? If I was going, that is how I would get ready -- by asking Indians here. Bon voyage!

Thanks to all of you...lots of good info.

Update: I am going to go to India, but not on this particular trip. Dh has to leave within a week, which means that the cheapest airfare I could get would be $3000 round trip (and that's not including the flights in India...dh has to travel there as well). It's just too short notice to make sense, and the trip is going to be relatively short.

But...dh has to go again within the next year or two, and will spend a week in India and then a week in Singapore. I'm going! I'll be able to buy my plane tickets well in advance for that one.