Menu

Which is right? Comma Poll.

Which is correct?  

1. 1. Which is correct?

• hook, line and sinker
    • hook, line, and sinker

Putting the comma before the "and" seems to be the most correct current usage, although both are acceptable.

I was taught not to put a comma in that position, but have long thought putting a comma before the "and" made more sense. I recently investigated and found that most style guides now recommend the comma.

My dh and I were taught this way: hook, line and sinker.

GWG is teaching my dc this way: hook, line, and sinker.

Which is right? Please vote. TIA :confused:

I am going through this same thing. Dh and I were both taught hook, line and sinker but our grammar also teaches hook, line, and sinker.

The second just looks wrong to me because of how I was taught. I am really struggling to teach my daughter the way her book teaches it. :glare: I voted for the way I learned because that HAS to be right :lol:

I asked a question similar to this but it was a year or two ago. I don't remember.

I am going through this same thing. Dh and I were both taught hook, line and sinker but our grammar also teaches hook, line, and sinker.

The second just looks wrong to me because of how I was taught. I am really struggling to teach my daughter the way her book teaches it. :glare: I voted for the way I learned because that HAS to be right :lol:

I asked a question similar to this but it was a year or two ago. I don't remember.

I agree. I just struggle placing the comma prior to and. Seems so wrong.

I'm not giving up the Oxford comma. I think it is better to have it and be clear then drop it and confuse everyone.

I divided my inheritance between Phil, John, Peter and Mary.

Did I divide my inheritance three ways or four?

The Oxford comma would have cleared it up.

My dh and I were taught this way: hook, line and sinker.

GWG is teaching my dc this way: hook, line, and sinker.

Which is right? Please vote. TIA :confused:

I was taught that the comma before 'and' is optional. FLL teaches to put a comma there, so that is what I have my son do.

I use the optional comma because of the way I speak. If I am speaking, more often than not I pause. I actually SAY "Red, white, and blue." I actually pause after white.

I was taught that either is correct - JUST be consistent about it. However, I'd have to agree with Jenn. A comma signifies a pause. And I pause.

I'm not giving up the Oxford comma. I think it is better to have it and be clear then drop it and confuse everyone.

:iagree:This is why I always use it. So much clearer, imo.

:iagree:Great example! I'm a believer in the Oxford comma.

Also, I believe there was a thread about this a few months back in the General forum. I'll see if I can find it.

They are, but there was an article in January about Oxford dropping it.

There was a lengthy discussion about that here on the forums. The article turned out to be a hoax.

ETA: Sorry, I didn't see Mothersweets post linking the same thread.

The Oxford comma is the only acceptable choice. The alternative is an assault on every thing that is good and decent in the Universe :D

Bill

:iagree::lol:

Using the Oxford comma reduces the chance for confusion (e.g. Eats, Shoots and Leaves).

While I am in the pro-Oxford-comma camp, I disagree that the Oxford comma reduces confusion in this case. As long as there is a comma after eats, it is perfectly clear that the panda eats and shoots (a gun) and leaves (the room).

In the book of that title, the confusion is between these two sentences:

The panda eats shoots and leaves.

The panda eats, shoots, and leaves.

I don't recall whether she used the Oxford comma or not. It's immaterial, because it's the first comma (or lack thereof) which causes confusion.

The classic example sentence for why one should use the Oxford comma:

"I'd like to thank my parents, God and Ayn Rand."

This is a case where the Oxford comma is necessary. Is the speaker thanking God and Ayn Rand or addressing them.

ETA: Good grief, I sound pedantic in this post. I think I need a restraining order from grammar threads.

Edited by Cosmos