Menu

Screen time --> Bad Attitude?

It seems like our 5 year old often gets a bad attitude after playing the Wii or watching cartoons for 15-20 minutes. It's not the content of the shows, from what we can tell.

After his time is up, I'll tell him he can't watch any more for the rest of the day, he says okay calmly, and then shortly after, he'll ask again. When I say no, he falls apart and throws a fit.

We have to be very careful to get him lots of food and protein, especially in the morning, or his attitude is terrible. Is it possible his body is very sensitive to screen time, like it is to food? He's like Jeckyll and Hyde, depending upon what he's eaten.

Some kids, especially boys, have issues with screens. You'll have to monitor his behavior carefully. Does he self regulate when you say no about other things? If he only has fits when you say no to screens then I'd consider the possibility that he does have sensitivities.

If you really fee that it is a problem with screens you can either eliminate them out right or you can work with him so he can learn to self regulate. In our computer based age, it might be best to help him learn to self regulate. Lots of limits. Steady consistent consequences for not logging off with a good attitude would be a good start.

I have discovered that my oldest especially (but all of them to some extent) are what I call "inertia" kids. Once their body is at rest (watching something) it is painfully difficult to get them doing what they need to do (for my oldest this can even include things she LOVES to do like go to softball practice)

My 7 yr old is sensitive to visual and auditory stimuli. He is very easily and quickly over stimulated and the result is massive meltdown and bad attitude. Any screen time is now only allowed at the end of our school day and after chores. Then right after screen time he goes outside to "reset" himself.

We have noticed a VERY strong correlation between screen time & attitude. Very strong.

We did start the "Accountable Kids" chore program where they can earn screen time (for completing all their chores for the day) and it has both cut down significantly on the amount of screen time and the associated bad attitude.

Plus it has eliminated the constant asking for an iPhone game, a computer game, a movie. We limit these to "educational" media, but they still had a negative impact.

:iagree: we have also noticed a direct correlation between screen time and attitude, with all three kids. And, no, it's not content. They don't watch sassy, snarky shows anyway, but it's the same whether they watch Jeopardy! or Magic Schoolbus or anything else regularly. We've cut it down to movie night on Fridays.

:iagree: we have also noticed a direct correlation between screen time and attitude, with all three kids. And, no, it's not content. They don't watch sassy, snarky shows anyway, but it's the same whether they watch Jeopardy! or Magic Schoolbus or anything else regularly. We've cut it down to movie night on Fridays.

Exactly. We've noticed it with all our children when they were young. ALL of them. My older kids have told me they remember feeling grumpy after watching videos, even good educational videos. When we leave them to babysit, they will not let the little people watch movies because they can't stand the attitude. Just don't allow it very often (once a week, maybe.)

Edited by Luann in ID

I'm not sure it is the screen time. I think one might see a similar reaction towards anything the child likes doing. For example, my 6 year old loves going to the park. Trying to get him to leave is a nightmare! I don't think most would associate the park with a bad attitude. ;)

In our case (and I assumed that it's the same for the OP), it isn't associated with having to turn off the tv, it's a global bad attitude - physical fighting amongst themselves, surliness, inability to follow directions, etc., and is an all day thing.

When they aren't allowed any regular screen time beyond the Friday night movie, there are squabbles here and there, or general complaining about something in particular, but everyone generally gets along.

Also, the only time they get "bored" is when the tv has been available to them on a regular basis.

We have noticed a VERY strong correlation between screen time & attitude. Very strong.

We did start the "Accountable Kids" chore program where they can earn screen time (for completing all their chores for the day) and it has both cut down significantly on the amount of screen time and the associated bad attitude.

Plus it has eliminated the constant asking for an iPhone game, a computer game, a movie. We limit these to "educational" media, but they still had a negative impact.

:iagree: with the bolded. We got rid of the TV completely. Pigby also went and downloaded something to my phone, so he completely lost all playing games on my phone privileges. I was telling DH yesterday how it was the best decision ever. Pigby's attitude is so much better and now that he knows the option is completely gone, so much less whining from him. We'll return the privilege of phone play at some point, chess and othello are easier on the phone, but for now we're spending so much more time together it is really wonderful.

We've definitely seen this as well. It seems to be getting better as DS gets older, but it was definitely a noticeable problem for him for years. It had nothing to do with stopping doing something he was enjoying--he could even have chosen to stop on his own, and he'd still have attitude problems for a lot of the day.

My daughter is affected by the pace of the show, not so much the content. I limit their watching to documentaries and old movies, yeah, some Disney, but only the older movies. Her dad doesn't believe in any of this, so sometimes he'll let her watch something I don't approve of, and I sure can see the difference!

Rosie

I've noticed this w/ my 10yo. If he gets more than about 20-30 min of screen time--computers, wii, games more than movies--he gets a bad attitude, esp w/ sibs. It's bad enough that HE can tell & asks me to set a timer for him.

I think it's the addictive nature of gaming & certain personalities are just more susceptible to that. The other kids are fine if I forget to tell them to turn it off.

We've definitely noticed this with our 7yo, at least with computer games. The difference in his attitude and behavior when hasn't been allowed to play them for a few days is amazing. Yes, he still has trouble stopping other fun activities, but that's a short-term reaction. When he plays certain computer games (or video games, as we discovered while visiting family members with a Wii), the attitude/mood is all day--short temper, disrespectful, lashing out at his brother for no reason, grumpy, NO ability to handle not getting his way (worse than usual ;)), etc. We already knew that certain games (Sim City???) were a problem and we cut those out. We've just recently made the wider connection, so we're still figuring out how to handle it.