Menu

Regency halloween costume

My 9 year old is a huge Jane Austen fan and wanted me to sew her a regency style dress so she could be Lizzie Bennet for halloween. I just finished it this morning. Sewing is not something I'm particularly good at, so this is quite a triumph. There were both tears and blood involved in the process, but I'm very happy with the results.

http://forums.sensibility.com/viewthread.php?tid=24268#pid228143

Oh, lovely! Your daughter is precious. My 15 and 13 yo girls are just finishing up dresses made from patterns purchased from this site, as we're having a English Country Dance in a couple of weeks at a community center in town at which they will wear them. They may try to get me one done in time as well! I hope your daughter has fun wearing her gown.

I love the hat. Did you make that also? Looks like a great job mom!

Cindy

Thanks! The hat is an old straw hat that we cut the back off. I had my girl use some remnants and pin pleats in and we ran a stitch around with the sewing machine. She had wanted to decorate it more with lace until somebody told her it looked like Little Bo Peep and so I think she'll go without a hat for halloween. We still need some opera gloves (and a pair of shoes!)

Thanks! The hat is an old straw hat that we cut the back off. I had my girl use some remnants and pin pleats in and we ran a stitch around with the sewing machine. She had wanted to decorate it more with lace until somebody told her it looked like Little Bo Peep and so I think she'll go without a hat for halloween. We still need some opera gloves (and a pair of shoes!)

Oh, no, the hat is great! She should definitely wear it.